• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

any fellow kids watching this new Netflix show "13 reasons why"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
Thought this was some average shitty teen angst drama when it first came on Netflix but my sister-in-law insisted that we watch this.

Just done with episode 6 and although it's slowed down a little I'm gripped.

Something especially positive is seeing the amount inter-race coupling going on. I don't recall seeing that very often in US shows, compared to UK TV anyway.

N7.Angel

Holy shit the main actor is amazing, so credible and emotional, dude can act, the series is depressing though for its own good... Really love the show overall.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Holy shit the main actor is amazing, so credible and emotional, dude can act, the series is depressing though for its own good... Really love the show overall.

Any complaints I had certainly did not come from the performances or cinematography. It's really well produced.

yeah little Jack Shepard Jr came a long way

Thought this was some average shitty teen angst drama when it first came on Netflix but my sister-in-law insisted that we watch this.

Just done with episode 6 and although it's slowed down a little I'm gripped.

Something especially positive is seeing the amount inter-race coupling going on. I don't recall seeing that very often in US shows, compared to UK TV anyway.

It's really good about just having a lot of diverse representation presented as just a normal fact of life, while acknowledging that yes, homophobia exists. For some reason it really warmed my heart to see Clay and Tony hug as friends after Clay learned about him being gay. Guys should hug more. Hugging: It's Good.

This show is based on a book right? Did the first season cover the entire book? If so, I won't be so excited to watch season 2 because it'll feel like a shitty cash-in

Watched the first half of the first episode and the kid already did shit that made me cringe. The overall mystery has me intrigued, though.

Binge watched it yesterday, it gives a definite life is strange atmosphere while still retaining it's own touch.

The stories and characters are fantastic and some of the scenes will make anyone with a heart hurt or uncomfortable. It's definitely realistic in its portrayal of bullying, slut shaming, rape,depression... Etc. It's heavy but necessary, I hope parents/kids/teachers will watch it and get educated.

I had low expectations going in but it ended up one of the best Netflix show.

Finished it last night, don't think I've ever made such a hard 180 on a show. Like I thought it was pretty bad first 2 episodes, but now I will defend its honor with my LIFE. It really got to me, as someone who relates perfectly with Hannah's depression, and also identifies strongly with Clay. I think it's gonna stick with me for a while. *That* scene in episode 13 is maybe the hardest thing I've ever had to watch.

neshcom

Banned
This show is based on a book right? Did the first season cover the entire book? If so, I won't be so excited to watch season 2 because it'll feel like a shitty cash-in
I think so. Every thing I had seen about it treated the season as the complete package, though Netflix has been gathering writers to see about a new season. Doesn't really sit well with me either--this is pretty definitive.

Maxim726X

So, finished last night. Very powerful stuff, and unless I'm reading into something that isn't there
I guess everyone in those photos is going to die, which means that every person in the tapes (sans the counselor), is going to end up dead?

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
So, finished last night. Very powerful stuff, and unless I'm reading into something that isn't there
I guess everyone in those photos is going to die, which means that every person in the tapes (sans the counselor), is going to end up dead?

What???? I'm assuming there's only one season and everything is all wrapped up, so I'm not seeing how that's going to happen unless it takes place in your imagination.

The implication certainly is
that that's Tyler's hit list. But it's left open-ended for a reason. To show that the problems didn't end with Hannah's death or the court case or the tapes going public etc.

I really hope they don't do a season 2, at least not with these same characters. I think that'd be a huge mistake.

This show intrigues me. I haven't watched it yet but it was brought up in a group I'm in in college. The topic we were discussing was repetitive self mutilation in teens and how the media has a big impact in behaviors pertaining to suicidal ideation, actually committing suicide, and other self injurious behaviors in adolescents. Even ones who aren't necessarily exposed to risk factors like home abuse, mental illness, or school bullying.

One of the things said by my instructor was how callous and graphic the show seemed to be at times and how bad it represented the process of counselling. Another thing is how the show doesn't have any disclaimers about it's content(which makes sense since its a Netflix show, and those aren't going to deter any teen from watching it anyway right?), on a service so easily accessible.

I know this was a book before it was a show, and done even had to read it in high school. Would any of you care to chime in? Is it something that teenagers should watch for educational purposes, or is its main appeal to the macabre and depressing process leading to self harm.

Correct. If there is a season 2, it would be all Netflix. However, I did read that the author wanted to do a season 2/part 2.

This show intrigues me. I haven't watched it yet but it was brought up in a group I'm in in college. The topic we were discussing was repetitive self mutilation in teens and how the media has a big impact in behaviors pertaining to suicidal ideation, actually committing suicide, and other self injurious behaviors in adolescents. Even ones who aren't necessarily exposed to risk factors like home abuse, mental illness, or school bullying.

One of the things said by my instructor was how callous and graphic the show seemed to be at times and how bad it represented the process of counselling. Another thing is how the show doesn't have any disclaimers about it's content(which makes sense since its a Netflix show, and those aren't going to deter any teen from watching it anyway right?), on a service so easily accessible.

I know this was a book before it was a show, and done even had to read it in high school. Would any of you care to chime in? Is it something that teenagers should watch for educational purposes, or is its main appeal to the macabre and depressing process leading to self harm.

First thing, Netflix has added content warnings to all the episodes with rape and suicide in them. They should have been there from the beginning.

Second, I think most of the complaints come from people who haven't watched the show, or are coming at it from an angle that all art should show only things that are good or is basically a morality play. I think 13 Reasons Why is incredibly emotionally honest. It in no way glorifies suicide - the scene itself is the hardest shit I've ever had to watch and I've even been a wreck today because I'm depressed and have suicidal thoughts frequently and it hit me really hard. The entire show is about the total devastation Hannah has left in her wake, from her parents to her peers, and basically the entire community. Yes, the counsellor at her school is terrible at his job. He's clearly not equipped to handle a person like Hannah coming through his door. But he did try. And Hannah did set him up to fail a little bit.

I think teenagers and parents and teachers and most people, really, should watch this show. I recommend watching it with someone if you're sensitive to the subject matter, or the person watching it is. The show isn't without its flaws but it really has it where it counts. It's emotionally honest about grief, depression and trauma, it takes its main characters seriously, and it doesn't play any of the terrible shit that happens for plain shock value or cheap thrills. I honestly think it's important.

Keri

There were disclaimers before the episodes with graphic or possibly triggering scenes. It honestly sounds like your instructor may have taken personally the fact that the Counselor
was portrayed negatively, as a character who was seriously bad at his job and made things worse

Might be a good idea to watch it for yourself.

First thing, Netflix has added content warnings to all the episodes with rape and suicide in them. They should have been there from the beginning.

Second, I think most of the complaints come from people who haven't watched the show, or are coming at it from an angle that all art should show only things that are good or is basically a morality play. I think 13 Reasons Why is incredibly emotionally honest. It in no way glorifies suicide - the scene itself is the hardest shit I've ever had to watch and I've even been a wreck today because I'm depressed and have suicidal thoughts frequently and it hit me really hard. The entire show is about the total devastation Hannah has left in her wake, from her parents to her peers, and basically the entire community. Yes, the counsellor at her school is terrible at his job. He's clearly not equipped to handle a person like Hannah coming through his door. But he did try. And Hannah did set him up to fail a little bit.

I think teenagers and parents and teachers and most people, really, should watch this show. I recommend watching it with someone if you're sensitive to the subject matter, or the person watching it is. The show isn't without its flaws but it really has it where it counts. It's emotionally honest about grief, depression and trauma, it takes its main characters seriously, and it doesn't play any of the terrible shit that happens for plain shock value or cheap thrills. I honestly think it's important.

There were disclaimers before the episodes with graphic or possibly triggering scenes. It honestly sounds like your instructor may have taken personally the fact that the Counselor
was portrayed negatively, as a character who was seriously bad at his job and made things worse

Might be a good idea to watch it for yourself.

Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely going sit down and check it out for myself.

Arkeband

Banned
Them planning a second season of this is going to retroactively make the first season worse by sucking out all of the nuance.

It ends on such a bitter and thought provoking note and kind of a call to action, and instead of letting that speak for itself, now they're going to go on to tell a story that doesn't need to be told and that was never written in the first place for a reason.

Decent series with fairly good acting from a large part of the cast, about to be driven headfirst into the ground by Selena Gomez or whoever is running this thing. What a shame.

Thought is was just okay at best. Another one of these shows I wished I would have just dropped after the first episode which I did not like either. Gotta stop expecting.

rataven

Just finished episode 5 a few minutes ago. Its cold and gloomy here so I'll probably marathon a few more episodes.

I'm sure almost anyone watching can relate to some of the story lines, but as a woman, wow, so much of what Hannah has been going through hits home. Especially the bit about the 'list'. That was painful to watch and reminded me of some nasty high school unpleasantness my friends and I went though. Its tough viewing at times, but I can't help but think it has something valuable to say.

Keri

Just finished episode 5 a few minutes ago. Its cold and gloomy here so I'll probably marathon a few more episodes.

I'm sure almost anyone watching can relate to some of the story lines, but as a woman, wow, so much of what Hannah has been going through hits home. Especially the bit about the 'list'. That was painful to watch and reminded me of some nasty high school unpleasantness my friends and I went though. Its tough viewing at times, but I can't help but think it has something valuable to say.

I don't think this is much of a spoiler, but Jessica makes a comment in the last episode (or maybe second to last) about how things happen to girls all the time, that no one talks about or does anything about. It's sad and it's true and I appreciated having a character say it out loud.

rataven

I don't think this is much of a spoiler, but Jessica makes a comment in the last episode (or maybe second to last) about how things happen to girls all the time, that no one talks about or does anything about. It's sad and it's true and I appreciated having a character say it out loud.

It does, and it's so commonplace it's almost always hand waved away. It's this attitude that yeah, it sucks, but boys will be boys and they can't help it, it's all that testosterone, blah blah, then nothing is ever really said or taught on how they should combat that behavior.

And because of that, it was equally just as hard to watch
Courtney turn on Hannah too. If there's one thing all women can truly relate to, it's the slut whore gossip nonsense (or fear of). I get her reasons for wanting to defend herself and her privacy, but watching a woman throw another under the bus like that was so sad.

Finished it a few hours ago. There's some room for improvement, but overall I thought it was good and a worthwhile watch. Part-way through the series I was hit pretty hard. It made me remember a friend I had in high school who tried to kill herself. She wasn't a really close friend or anything, but it made me re-trace my history with her mentally to see if I missed signs etc. It had nothing to do with bullying, and I don't think that I (or her bf, or anyone else) really anticipated it, but it still hurt to think about. I'm glad that she seems to be doing pretty well these days.

The part from the last episode where
it shows her slitting her wrists
was sooo hard to watch.

Last episode
The counselor was comically incompetent. My roommates and I got to the point where we were pausing after every sentence he said to question why the fuck he has the job he has. After seeing what him and Bryce did, no one else even remotely belongs on those tapes.

Yeah, that whole sequence was pretty mind-boggling.

No offense to your instructor but I think that's bullshit. I was so severely depressed in college that I almost dropped out and the college's counselor treated me basically the same way the counselor treated Hannah and was completely useless because she wasn't equipped to deal with someone with serious mental health issues (which was a part of the show that, like a lot of the other stuff Hannah went through, really resonated with me.) I don't know many people that have had good experiences with school counselors. The counselor at my high school was an absolute joke, too.

Human Trashcan summed up a lot of my feelings pretty well. I think it's something that both teens AND parents should watch. I used to work in a bookstore and would recommend the book to parents all the time when it first came out.

I finished the show last week and I'm still thinking about it. It hit me way harder than the book did.

I just finished the last episode a few minutes ago, pretty powerful stuff. I think they ended it about where they needed too, even though they purposely left open a lot of loose ends.

My overall opinion on the show is a bit mixed, I think it did a lot of things right and was somewhere around a 4/5. Episodes 3-6 or so all could have been about 20 minutes though, the pacing slowed down way too much for that stretch and it hurt my interest in the show for about 2 weeks. I finally picked it back up and finished it and I'm glad because the last run of episodes was much stronger.

The character development was really strong for most of the cast from Jason to Clay to Jessica to Alex and to Hannah of course and it was really the shows strong point. The characters had believable thoughts and actions which helps keep it from turning into a melodrama at any point.

FaintDeftone

I just finished watching this myself. Went through the whole thing in 3 days.

I thought it was fantastic and a brutally honest depiction of high school life. Even though some of it is a little over the top (
like the hokey murder plot
), at lot of the stuff in the series is common high school behavior and does lead to real suicides. People need to take this shit seriously and I hope this show helps people wake up to what's happening in our schools.

The performances were great, especially from the two actors who played Clay and Tony. After it ended I just stared at the screen in silence for about ten minutes while I tried to process the whole thing. Its hard to shake it after it ends. Really effective stuff and I'm glad I decided to sit down and watch it.

PeterGAF

Banned
The part from the last episode where
it shows her slitting her wrists
was sooo hard to watch.
I just finished it and I had to fast forward through that part as soon as it started. It was so uncomfortable to watch (as it should be) even just for that one second before I hit that fast forward button. It was the only part of the show I had to do that for. I wasn't ready to see it. I've heard people criticize the show for "romanticizing suicide" but I just don't see how you could possibly think that after watching that scene.

- J - D -

Episode 12 pretty much ruined this show for me. It relies on a very heinous act to bolster its core conceit, but it instead feels like the ultimate contrivance that also manages to make me think less of the female lead at the moment where I should be sympathizing with her most. Episode 12 made me angry, not so much at the crime that happens, but that they would do that instead of making her inner conflict leading up to her ultimate decision more nuanced. This isn't a subtle show, but at least up until this point it builds up to a natural point slowly breaking down a character's psyche by pulling her through multiple (but not progressively worse) layers of hell. What happens in episode 12 is like a sledgehammer to the face. I don't think I've done a 180 so quickly watching an episode.

It's too bad because the final episode is so powerful in spite of all those misgivings, and the message the show tries to convey is equally powerful, and the performances are stellar, but the show's structure crumbles the more it tries to add on.

. What happens in episode 12 is like a sledgehammer to the face. I don't think I've done a 180 so quickly watching an episode.

It's too bad because the final episode is so powerful in spite of all those misgivings, and the message the show tries to convey is equally powerful, and the performances are stellar, but the show's structure crumbles the more it tries to add on.

Like, isn't that the point? All the other things were annoying and small but perhaps not enough to drive someone to commit suicide on their own, then that tipped the boat over. You're watching as someone literally loses the will to live, not random high school drama

jwk94

I really don't see what there is to be gained from a second season with these same characters. If they wanted to make it an anthology show I'd get it, but going back to this well... idk man. Seems like it's kind of missing the point. I want to give it the benefit of the doubt, but I think it's a bad idea.

That would be perfect, but I don't think that'd work with how popular this show got. Everyone's attached to these characters. The audience wants more of them, regardless of what tragedy they have to go through. This needs to be a very solid season.

That would be perfect, but I don't think that'd work with how popular this show got. Everyone's attached to these characters. The audience wants more of them, regardless of what tragedy they have to go through. This needs to be a very solid season.

That's the thing, it's in very real danger of just becoming tragedy porn. Season 1 skirted that deftly, but it's a fine line to walk, and there's only so much that that can reasonably happen at 1 school. For all of its plot contrivances, season 1 was not a melodrama. It was about honestly exploring the emotional and communal fallout of Hannah's suicide. That's done, it's over. But you know audiences will expect new crazy shit, so rather than just continuing with these characters' day-to-day life and regular teen drama, I think there's a good chance it will lean harder into its worst impulses and just double down on the tragedy. That's the easy trap to fall into, and without the original novel to guide them, I don't know that they'll avoid it.

Also let's be real - none of these characters are THAT interesting without Hannah and the show's framing device hanging over them.

I want this to be good. If it explores similar issues as season 1 in a way that is as sensitive and humane, I'm all for it. I just see so many ways for this to go bad.

That's the thing, it's in very real danger of just becoming tragedy porn. Season 1 skirted that deftly, but it's a fine line to walk, and there's only so much that that can reasonably happen at 1 school. For all of its plot contrivances, season 1 was not a melodrama. It was about honestly exploring the emotional and communal fallout of Hannah's suicide. That's done, it's over. But you know audiences will expect new crazy shit, so rather than just continuing with these characters' day-to-day life and regular teen drama, I think there's a good chance it will lean harder into its worst impulses and just double down on the tragedy. That's the easy trap to fall into, and without the original novel to guide them, I don't know that they'll avoid it.

Also let's be real - none of these characters are THAT interesting without Hannah and the show's framing device hanging over them.

I want this to be good. If it explores similar issues as season 1 in a way that is as sensitive and humane, I'm all for it. I just see so many ways for this to go bad.

Without Hannah's tragedy driving the story, I don't care much about the rest.

Dosia

I guess season 2 will be a build up of what I thought was going to happen in the finale. It should be pretty intense.

Watched this this weekend.

What a load of horse shit. This is probably one of the worst shows I've watched. So much navel gazing.

I respect the unreliable narrator stuff... but the fake out stuff was bad

Keri

Maybe the perspective from the first season will lead the characters to notice the path Tyler is on and prevent it. I would respect the show, if it went that route. Especially since I was personally disappointed in the way Clay treated Tyler in the first season and perpetuated bullying (even if Tyler wasn't a great guy himself). I would like to see a focus on stopping Tyler and helping him rather than coping with the aftermath of a second tragedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom