• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any gun owners lurking...

Lionheart1827 said:
I may be wrong with this, but I believe the standard A2 is kind of like a peep sight while the same plane is an open circle. Again, dont quote me because I'm not positive.

^ Since I'm using a standard A2 front sight, do you know if its pointless/unusable if I go for the same plane one?

RapidCancel said:
^ Since I'm using a standard A2 front sight, do you know if its pointless/unusable if I go for the same plane one?

That I'm not too sure on since I dont own an AR I only have my M1a and that has a national match peep sight.

I believe this is an A2 standard
10.jpg

From what I've seen, it looks as though the same plane sights have a wider circle compared to the A2.

jason10mm

Gold Member
There are 2 apertures on the ar. The big open one (night sight) And the tiny one for daylight/ precision shooting. You flip them back and forth. For some strange reason they are not on the same plane, meaning if you zero your rifle with the small aperture (which you should) and switch to the large one, your point of impact will be different. not a huge deal since the large aperture is intended for close quarters/low light shooting and 99% of target shooters will never use it, but it irks some folks so a few manufacturers have made it so the large aperture will shoot to the same POI as the smaller one. Nice to have, I suppose, but I personally wouldn't pay extra for a same plane one unless I had a real reason for it.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
EDIT-NM.

How are H&K?

H&K are the real deal. They are aimed at more tactical types and organizations but their quality is top notch. I could be wrong but I know that law enforcement HAS to send the guns back to Gernamy to get worked on if the need ever arises. If you like guns that will have things like tactical rails, huge trigger guards for gloved hands etc, and money is no object, H&K is what you would want to look at.

A buddy of mine just got this, I was impressed.

lg_usc.jpg

golem

HK is srs bizns
The Army’s Delta Force replaced its M4s with the H&K 416 in 2004 after tests revealed that the piston operating system significantly reduces malfunctions while increasing the life of parts. The elite unit collaborated with the German arms maker to develop the new carbine.
pricey though

jason10mm said:
There are 2 apertures on the ar. The big open one (night sight) And the tiny one for daylight/ precision shooting. You flip them back and forth. For some strange reason they are not on the same plane, meaning if you zero your rifle with the small aperture (which you should) and switch to the large one, your point of impact will be different. not a huge deal since the large aperture is intended for close quarters/low light shooting and 99% of target shooters will never use it, but it irks some folks so a few manufacturers have made it so the large aperture will shoot to the same POI as the smaller one. Nice to have, I suppose, but I personally wouldn't pay extra for a same plane one unless I had a real reason for it.

Ohhh, gotcha. Thanks a lot. The same place aperture did cost $25 more and I wasn't sure if it was worth it.

mAcOdIn

EvaPlusMinus said:
Never owned a gun before, but I do have a BB gun from when I was really young. Went hunting once or twice with the father (I think?) and grandfather when he was alive. This thread is cool, but I feel uneasy owning a gun where I live. I'm across the street from an elementary school.

But rock on gun totting folks. Rock on.
If you live that close to a school you're probably not legally allowed to store one in your home anyway, that's what it's like in my town, something like 1,000 yards around the school is a no gun zone, even though the school itself has a shooting team and guns in it, lol.

Zyzyxxz

golem said:
HK is srs bizns

pricey though

The HK416 is sex and should be considered as a replacement for the current M4/M16 but estimates were that they would cost too much to replace it with.

So I'm a little confused when it comes to the G3. I know it's not legal in the US anymore, so would my best bet for a clone be a CETME clone or what?

golem

Lionheart1827 said:
So is anybody gonna buy an ACR this year? :lol
$2600-$3000 jeez.

I was reading on the wiki though that you can easily switch out the barrel and a couple of other components to switch between 5.56 nato, 6.8 rem spc, and 6.5 grendel. Pretty cool stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushmaster_ACR
Yeah, it looks nice a nice rifle (played a bit with it at the SHOT show), but $3k is fail. Then again I am considering getting a HK MR762, and I'm sure that wont be cheap haha.

jiien

So glad this thread got bumped. Didn't know it existed. I've always been somewhat interested in getting a gun, but this thread has pretty much convinced me (when I get the funds, that is).

So, anyone live in NJ, and know how the process for getting a license works? To be honest, most of the sites I find with information, or selling guns, just look so...crappy/shady. -_- I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

Edit: A pistol license, that is. I think. I don't know that much about this whole process, actually, except for a few things I've picked up from this thread.

This: http://www.njguns.com/permit.htm

is legit, right?

jiien said:
So glad this thread got bumped. Didn't know it existed. I've always been somewhat interested in getting a gun, but this thread has pretty much convinced me (when I get the funds, that is).

So, anyone live in NJ, and know how the process for getting a license works? To be honest, most of the sites I find with information, or selling guns, just look so...crappy/shady. -_- I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

Edit: A pistol license, that is. I think. I don't know that much about this whole process, actually, except for a few things I've picked up from this thread.

This: http://www.njguns.com/permit.htm

is legit, right?

I live on Long Island, however, the best possible course of action is to call a local precinct and ask them. In some places the license issuer will be a police precinct or HQ or a bureau(like here on Long Island). One thing to remember, DO NOT USE a pistol license service. They usually say they "guarantee" you a license but that isnt only the case, and they will charge you for that service. Try to find an official state government site on it and take it from there. Do your research and good luck!

Quick google search: http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/faq.html

Q2.

How do you obtain a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or a Permit to Purchase a Handgun?

Download Form

A2.

You must apply at your local police department. If you do not have a local police department or you are an out of state resident, you must apply at the nearest New Jersey State Police station (excluding toll roads, stations on the New Jersey Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, and Atlantic City Expressway).

For any further information outlining specific requirements, contact your local police department or nearest New Jersey State Police station.

One important thing to remember. If NJ is anything like Long Island, DO NOT try to hide anything on an application. If you have done bad things in the past and you dont think they will find an arrest from 15 years ago, they will find it and they most likely wont take "i forgot" as an answer. The application is more of an integrity test, they try to see if you lie or hide anything. They can usually find the answer to any question on the application, and they will.

jiien

Lionheart1827 said:

Awesome man, thanks. Dunno why I couldn't find my way to that page.

I probably won't end up getting one for a while, being that I have no money to invest into this. But I think I'm going to start going to some ranges to get a feel for the various types and makes, and I like to do my research on this sort of thing well in advance.

One other question, though I guess I could google: How do licenses work as far as traveling between state borders? I assume if you move, you have to reapply with whatever state you move to, but what if it's just for travel?

Hm, also found this on Wikipedia:

Nine states have "may issue" or "discretionary issue" laws requiring the applicant to demonstrate specific "need".[5] These "may issue" states range from "shall issue" in practice, such as Alabama, Connecticut and Iowa[5] to "at the whim of local officials", such as New York, Massachusetts, and California, (where rural officials more liberally issue permits but urban officials seldom do) to "almost non-issue" in states such as Maryland, New Jersey and Hawaii where, though state law allows for the issuance of permits, officials rarely or never choose to issue them under any circumstances.[15]

Further reading reveals that CCW in NJ is illegal except in a few specific circumstances.

jiien said:
Awesome man, thanks. Dunno why I couldn't find my way to that page.

I probably won't end up getting one for a while, being that I have no money to invest into this. But I think I'm going to start going to some ranges to get a feel for the various types and makes, and I like to do my research on this sort of thing well in advance.

One other question, though I guess I could google: How do licenses work as far as traveling between state borders? I assume if you move, you have to reapply with whatever state you move to, but what if it's just for travel?

Hm, also found this on Wikipedia:

Further reading reveals that CCW in NJ is illegal except in a few specific circumstances.

Honestly thats a big question about travelling in between some states. There are MANY laws, some even in its own states like NY. For example, I'm not allowed to travel to NYC when I get my pistol license. Technically I can, but my license is NOT valid in the city, but it is upstate. I cant only travel through NYC with my guns in the trunk unloaded and separated from ammo and I cant stop anywhere in the city for anything or else I can be arrested and my license suspended or revoked. Some states have laws that honor your license, and some dont. In order to find out, you need to do your own research, every state is different.

eznark

Banned
Actually, I was wondering about travelling as well. I dabble in foreclosure investments and when I go out to scout houses I always bring my Springfield XD 40. I have my Indiana carry permit but I live in the tri state area and often go between Kentucky, Ohio and Indiana. Just wondering if there could be an issue there.

Also, Indiana has no handgun registration or licensing...not sure if the same can be said in Ohio and Kentucky and how that would affect the situation.

Any info (or a good online repository to answer this type of question?)

eznark said:
Actually, I was wondering about travelling as well. I dabble in foreclosure investments and when I go out to scout houses I always bring my Springfield XD 40. I have my Indiana carry permit but I live in the tri state area and often go between Kentucky, Ohio and Indiana. Just wondering if there could be an issue there.

Also, Indiana has no handgun registration or licensing...not sure if the same can be said in Ohio and Kentucky and how that would affect the situation.

Any info (or a good online repository to answer this type of question?)

You are good. Ohio has a reciprocity laws that allows Indiana license, Kentucky allows all currently valid carry licenses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_(by_state)

Xapati said:
800px-Stgw_90.jpg

Got one of these things in the closet. Takes up too much darn space.
Lol, you served in the Swiss army? This is the standard rifle that every recruit gets.

Not me though, I got this thing and boy was I glad.

226.gif

Capt'n Farrell said:
Lol, you served in the Swiss army? This is the standard rifle that every recruit gets.

Not me though, I got this thing and boy was I glad.

SigSauer P226 eh? I was checking those out as well. Although I pretty much have my heart set on 1911 models as my first. :D

Lionheart1827 said:
SigSauer P226 eh? I was checking those out as well. Although I pretty much have my heart set on 1911 models as my first. :D
It's the only gun I ever shot with, so I have no idea how good it actually is. I just know that our Lieutenant had anoter SIG Pistol that was supposed to be much better and way more accurate. You hear a lot of BS in the military though, so I suppose he just had a small wiener.

skrew

Banned
I own a XDM40, love the 14 round mag.

spg_XDM9202HCSP.jpg

Had hell of a time trying to find ammo to take to the range, ended up with the expensive ass hollow points. Fucking right wing nutjobs, OH NO NOBAMA IS GONNA TAKE MY GUNZ AWAY!!!

KY is the easiest place to buy a gun, background check is all it takes. No registration.

^ Just like Texas baby! Takes me about 5 minutes at a gun show to buy something new. Hows the XDM's grip compared to the regular XD?

-PXG-

I never understood the purpose/ thrill in guns. There is plenty of shit in my house I could use the beat someone up with, if they tried to break in or hurt me. Also, where the hell do you guys live? Is the crime really that bad? Besides defense, and hunting, what's the point?

I don't know, they scare the shit outta me *shudder* Just watch where you point those things :lol Seriously, have fun, but just be safe and smart.

EDIT

Christ. Rifles, machine guns and shottys? I didn't know GAF had an army :lol

-PXG- said:
I never understood the purpose/ thrill in guns. There is plenty of shit in my house I could use the beat someone up with, if they tried to break in or hurt me. Also, where the hell do you guys live? Is the crime really that bad? Besides defense, and hunting, what's the point?

I don't know, they scare the shit outta me *shudder* Just watch where you point those things :lol Seriously, have fun, but just be safe and smart.

EDIT

This thread is not for pussies like you. These guns are quite badass

KHarvey16

-PXG- said:

EDIT

Shooting is fun.

-PXG-

I always thought going to a shooting range was kind of "red necky". That and well, guns KILL people and are used in violence, war, ect. I don't see how weapons and objects of destruction can be used for leisure and recreation. Self is defense is understandable, though, in most cases, it's probably overkill. Unless you live in Baghdad, there are plenty of other ways to defend yourself.

Eh. Whatever. I'm a pussy. Sorry gun-GAF. Carry on.

KHarvey16

-PXG- said:
I always thought going to a shooting range was kind of "red necky". That and well, guns KILL people and are used in violence, war, ect. I don't see how weapons and objects of destruction can be used for leisure and recreation. Self is defense is understandable, though, in most cases, it's probably overkill. Unless you live in Baghdad, there are plenty of other ways to defend yourself.

Eh. Whatever. I'm a pussy. Sorry gun-GAF. Carry on.

You really couldn't shoot a gun at a range for fun because other people use them in wars to kill? That's a little weird to be honest.

eznark

Banned
KHarvey16 said:
You really couldn't shoot a gun at a range for fun because other people use them in wars to kill? That's a little weird to be honest.
I haven't been able to use pillows ever since I read about nurse who used to smother patients. It just......doesn't seem right somehow...using a weapon to make myself more comfortable.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Gkve me some gun advice GAF,

Have an opportunity to purchase a new FN Five-SeveN at cost. Wondering what people's opinions are, if they have any experience with the pistol, or the 5.7 round.

Leaning towards purchasing it, but to be honest, more novelty than practical need.

-PXG- said:

EDIT

Some of us on GAF probably have enough guns to start a small army. ;)

Willectro

Banned
ChiTownBuffalo said:
Gkve me some gun advice GAF,

Have an opportunity to purchase a new FN Five-SeveN at cost. Wondering what people's opinions are, if they have any experience with the pistol, or the 5.7 round.

Leaning towards purchasing it, but to be honest, more novelty than practical need.

I've heard of and seen pictures of five-sevens exploding in peoples hands. Primarily from using reloads, but still. Ammo is crazy expensive from what I've heard.

Wikipedia said:
The 5.7x28mm cartridge weighs 6.0 g (93 grains),[17] roughly half as much as a typical 9x19mm Parabellum cartridge, allowing extra ammunition to be carried more easily.[18][19][20] It also exhibits a flatter trajectory[11][19] and produces roughly 30% less recoil, improving controllability.[19][20] The muzzle blast and flash produced by the cartridge are considerable.

Having never shot a Five-Seven, I can't comment on how fun they are to shoot. I would imagine that they are pretty awesome though. It seems that they are more suited for combat situations as opposed to recreational shooting (I'm assuming that's what you're doing). I would go for a 9mm over a 5.7 personally.

andycapps

-PXG- said:

EDIT

I don't think there are any gun users that have posted in this thread that show signs of irresponsibility with guns.. The real people you should be worried about are the hoods that get guns that are stolen and have no training on how to use them and are using them for illegal means. I know quite a few that have gone this route and have told me how easy it is to get a gun from some "acquaintances" and for how cheaply they can get them. One of them used to have several and got in some major trouble, has thankfully completely gotten out of that lifestyle and has been for several years. Took him almost dying in a hospital to see how dumb he was.

And about shooting guns, don't knock it til you've tried it. :D

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
will52 said:
I've heard of and seen pictures of five-sevens exploding in peoples hands. Primarily from using reloads, but still. Ammo is crazy expensive from what I've heard.

Having never shot a Five-Seven, I can't comment on how fun they are to shoot. I would imagine that they are pretty awesome though. It seems that they are more suited for combat situations as opposed to recreational shooting (I'm assuming that's what you're doing). I would go for a 9mm over a 5.7 personally.

Well, there have been some Q targets eyeing me rather suspiciously. I wonder if there any ranges that rent them. I'll try that first before purchasing.

And yeah, the ammo issue is the big nay factor, the cost. Not the blowing up using reloads thing.

Willectro

Banned
ChiTownBuffalo said:
Well, there have been some Q targets eyeing me rather suspiciously. I wonder if there any ranges that rent them. I'll try that first before purchasing.

And yeah, the ammo issue is the big nay factor, the cost. Not the blowing up using reloads thing.

Yea the exploding thing is pretty rare I'd imagine, but not impossible. How much could you purchase the five-seven for?

diehard

Fleer
eznark said:
I haven't been able to use pillows ever since I read about nurse who used to smother patients. It just......doesn't seem right somehow...using a weapon to make myself more comfortable.
I approve of this post.

ChiTownBuffalo

will52 said:
Yea the exploding thing is pretty rare I'd imagine, but not impossible. How much could you purchase the five-seven for?

Five-SeveN USG for $750

I was savng up for a HK USP-MK23.

eznark said:

This. Could we keep the stupid gun comments about how they're just so horrible out of this thread? They go no where and it's not what this thread is for.

ChiTownBuffalo said:
Five-SeveN USG for $750

I was savng up for a HK USP-MK23.

I'd say the mk23...but only cause 5.7 is pretty pricey isn't it? Too bad the initial price factor of the mk23 is pretty hefty too.

Top Bottom