• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any gun owners lurking...

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
My cousin owns an AK47 he got through...well not so legal means. He offered to get one for me for dirt cheap but I would much rather own a legally purchased handgun or shotgun. I have a little money saved up so I've been thinking about it recently.

JavaMava

What is the legality of owning a gun in Ontario Canada? I'm interested in learning how to shoot and if at all possible keeping one in my home in case of emergencies.

missbreedsiddx said:
My cousin owns an AK47 he got through...well not so legal means. He offered to get one for me for dirt cheap but I would much rather own a legally purchased handgun or shotgun. I have a little money saved up so I've been thinking about it recently.

What are you looking to get and use it for? How cheap was the AK? AK's are generally pretty cheap through legal means too. Nowhere near the prices of AR's. aimsurplus.com has one right now for about $380.

Atenhaus

JavaMava said:
What is the legality of owning a gun in Ontario Canada? I'm interested in learning how to shoot and if at all possible keeping one in my home in case of emergencies.

To expand on this; are gun control laws in Canada set at the provincial or federal level?

You can call me a gun nut...........

P1010440-editfornet.jpg

P1010441-editfornet.jpg

P1010446.jpg

P1010110.jpg

P1010117.jpg

P1010022.jpg

P1010025.jpg

P1000978.jpg

P1000983.jpg

P1000883.jpg

And there here is my HUNTING collection.

P1000867.jpg

siddx

RapidCancel said:
What are you looking to get and use it for? How cheap was the AK? AK's are generally pretty cheap through legal means too. Nowhere near the prices of AR's. aimsurplus.com has one right now for about $380.

He got his AK for $200. He ended up selling it to a friend and just buying a frame. It's come in handy too, some punk was trying to break into his car and he came out with the frame covered in a blanket. Guy got a look at what he seemed to be carrying and took off like a bat out of hell.

I would likely purchase a pistol, I would use it for shooting range (I enjoy shooting), home protection secondly since it's unlikely i'd need it but there has been incidents over the years in my area of kids breaking in and looting/destroying homes during the winter when they think the occupants aren't home. And thirdly for when shit goes to hell in a handbag and people are eating each other and I need to fend off the post apocalyptic cannibals. :lol

^^^^ to the CHEAP AK's comment.

You are buying the shit ones that the arabs are using over in the middle east.

Russian or chinese(poly tech) > *****

Rokk said:
You, my good sir, are well prepared for zombies.

I look forward to the day.

Should I make a GunGAF thread? Start the thread with my previous post.

MidnightRider - I'm so envious. How much was the AK?

missbreedsiddx said:
He got his AK for $200. He ended up selling it to a friend and just buying a frame. It's come in handy too, some punk was trying to break into his car and he came out with the frame covered in a blanket. Guy got a look at what he seemed to be carrying and took off like a bat out of hell.

I would likely purchase a pistol, I would use it for shooting range (I enjoy shooting), home protection secondly since it's unlikely i'd need it but there has been incidents over the years in my area of kids breaking in and looting/destroying homes during the winter when they think the occupants aren't home. And thirdly for when shit goes to hell in a handbag and people are eating each other and I need to fend off the post apocalyptic cannibals. :lol

How much are you looking to spend? Two of the most popular choices would be Glock and the XD. Not too expensive and very reliable.

Willectro

Banned
ChiTownBuffalo said:
Five-SeveN USG for $750

I was savng up for a HK USP-MK23.

MK23 is in .45 if I remember right? 45 isn't fun to shoot IMO. Would be solid for defense though.

Edit: Midnight Rider, that is a great collection.

Willectro

Banned
JavaMava said:

Canadian PAL

That wiki explains it pretty well.

In Canada firearms fall into three classifications, defined in the Criminal Code of Canada:[1]

* Non-restricted - Most long guns, rifles and shotguns are classified non-restricted.
* Restricted - This classification includes all handguns, other than those that are prohibited, as well rifles and shotguns that are not prohibited, have a barrel length less than 470 mm, and are semi-automatic. Firearms that can be reduced to a length of less than 660 mm by folding, telescoping, or otherwise, and any firearm prescribed by an Order in Council as restricted are also included in this classification. Restricted firearms may only be transported or carried with an additional authorization.
* Prohibited - This classification includes handguns with a barrel length equal to or less than 105 mm, or are .25 or .32 caliber (other than certain prescribed International Shooting Union firearms), as well as rifles and shotguns that are adapted by sawing, cutting or otherwise to an overall length of less than 660 mm, or that are longer than 660 mm but have a barrel less than 457 mm in length. Prohibited firearms also include fully automatic firearms, converted automatics, and those prescribed by Order in Council. Prohibited firearms also may only be transported with authorization.

You can only take restricted firearms to approved ranges. You will probably never get a Prohibited. The only way I've heard this happening is by Grandfathering, and apparently that is even sticky now (say your great uncle dies and has a machine gun from WW2 in the basement).

As far as any licensing questions go (for Canada), check out Canadian Gun Nutz.

Atenhaus said:
To expand on this; are gun control laws in Canada set at the provincial or federal level?

Federal.

RCMP - Firearms
Gun politics in Canada

siddx

RapidCancel said:
MidnightRider - I'm so envious. How much was the AK?

How much are you looking to spend? Two of the most popular choices would be Glock and the XD. Not too expensive and very reliable.

Nothing too expensive, probably max $400. I've been looking at both the glock and XD.

MidnightRider said:
It's a Mini-14.

Good eye :)

Shit, I dont know why I put M14, I meant mini 14. :lol

And I could easily tell due to the mini14s slightly curved magazine as opposed to the M14/M1a's straight mags.

Speaking of M1a's, I just received 400rds of 7.62x51 that I ordered, now I'm set for awhile in that department. Now I just need to get some more .270 for my bolt action and I'll be good for long time. :D

skrew

Banned
RapidCancel said:
^ Just like Texas baby! Takes me about 5 minutes at a gun show to buy something new. Hows the XDM's grip compared to the regular XD?
This was at the Fort Campbell PX, not even a gun show. Anyway i never owned a XD so I can't compare grip, but it does come with 3 interchangeable grips. I don't have fairly large hands but it fits perfectly, and I have had no issues keeping a firm grip when firing.

I've always wanted an AR 15 but it's becoming clear that I can't afford it.
I'm starting to look at AKs but I really don't know what variant to get.
All I know is I want something thats cheaper to shoot if possible, but I don't think 7.62x39 is that much cheaper than .223.
I hear the 5.45x39 is cheap and as accurate as .223

Also I know I'm crazy but I love them in plum furniture.
zslr107frhires1.jpg

I can't decide........

Nostalgic Nightmare said:
I've always wanted an AR 15 but it's becoming clear that I can't afford it.
I'm starting to look at AKs but I really don't know what variant to get.
All I know is I want something thats cheaper to shoot if possible, but I don't think 7.62x39 is that much cheaper than .223.
I hear the 5.45x39 is cheap and as accurate as .223

Also I know I'm crazy but I love them in plum furniture.
zslr107frhires1.jpg

I can't decide........

Looks nice! Its kinda hard to say price difference of .223 compared to 7.62. Not sure about 7.62x39, but like I said I just picked up 400rds of 7.62x51 NATO(.308) from midway usa at around 230 bucks I think. Not too bad.

MidnightRider said:
It's a Mini-14.

Good eye :)
I noticed too. :p

My dad has one. Always a favorite of mine when shooting his guns.

He gave me his Winchester Model 1894 30-30 (he got when he was young) 3 years ago. I feel so honored. :D

Zeke

really fighting the temptation to buy a Mosin Nagant $130 bucks online plus whatever the dealer charges for the transfer. Comes with bayonet and accessories which is pretty awesome.

Zeke said:
really fighting the temptation to buy a Mosin Nagant $130 bucks online plus whatever the dealer charges for the transfer. Comes with bayonet and accessories which is pretty awesome.

Do it! Why would you fight the temptation? Those are very manly guns and they have a very satisfying shot.

I fired one a few weeks ago and they're awesome. They are so cheap and should be in every enthusiasts collection. :D

Zeke

well first things first I need to find an FFL dealer which shouldn't be too hard since I live in Texas. After that I can see exactly how much I have to pay to get the transaction done.
Zyzyxxz said:
nice collection there! How much did the Tommy Gun set you back?
I saw one at cabela's awhile back for $800

MisterNoisy

Zeke said:

If you're buying a Mosin online, check out AIM Surplus. They've got a bunch of the standard models for $80 and the hex-receiver ones for $10 more - accessories included (shipping is $20 or so). I'm a bit peevish that I missed out on their last shipment of CZ-82's.

EDIT:

Just picked up a Savage 93R17 BTVS. Waiting on MidwayUSA to deliver my scope and rings - hopefully they'll be here in time for me to take it to the range next weekend:

5cwo06.jpg

MisterNoisy said:
If you're buying a Mosin online, check out AIM Surplus. They've got a bunch of the standard models for $80 and the hex-receiver ones for $10 more - accessories included (shipping is $20 or so). I'm a bit peevish that I missed out on their last shipment of CZ-82's.

EDIT:

Just picked up a Savage 93R17 BTVS. Waiting on MidwayUSA to deliver my scope and rings - hopefully that they'll be here in time for me to take it to the range next weekend:

5cwo06.jpg

Sweetness, thumbhole stock eh? What kind of wood is that?

For gun owners I always wanted to ask this question: How accurate are AKs and M16s in videogames? Which game do you think best represent the weapon?

In Uncharted 2, M16 deals more damage than AK 47. But in Left 4 Dead 2, AK does more than M16. I know that getting shot even once by either gun can be fatal. But why the discrepancy? Same with Desert Eagle vs glock.

MisterNoisy

Lionheart1827 said:
Sweetness, thumbhole stock eh? What kind of wood is that?

It's a laminated wood stock - not sure what type of wood the laminations are actually made of, though. Since I'm only punching holes in paper, the extra weight of the thumbhole stock and bull barrel aren't a huge deal.

Zyzyxxz

What do you guys think about those new AR15's that come configured for .22LR?

I've been eyeing them for some time and since I don't own any guns but would like to get started I figure for $500-600 I can get started with something that has very affordable ammo.

I've seen the S&W Mp 15-22 and the Colt branded ones both look pretty decent.

RustyNails said:
For gun owners I always wanted to ask this question: How accurate are AKs and M16s in videogames? Which game do you think best represent the weapon?

In Uncharted 2, M16 deals more damage than AK 47. But in Left 4 Dead 2, AK does more than M16. I know that getting shot even once by either gun can be fatal. But why the discrepancy? Same with Desert Eagle vs glock.

The general consensus is that the AK47 has more power behind the round but the M16 is way more accurate. I remember watching a show on discovery comparing the AK to the M16. The AK with its 7.62 round was able to penetrate through a cinder block while the M16s 5.56 couldnt. However, the AK47 was less accurate with way more recoil. The end result was that the AK was much closer to a machine gun rather than an assault rifle and that no gun was clearly better than the other.

Desert Eagle, if you're talking about the 50 cal, has a lot more power than a Glock, which is normally a 9mm.

Also, check out this quick video I made today using the high speed mode on my camera. I'll probably make another one once I get to the range but for now I only have manual feed and ejections.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLJAlulgBCE

Zyzyxxz

Lionheart1827 said:
The general consensus is that the AK47 has more power behind the round but the M16 is way more accurate. I remember watching a show on discovery comparing the AK to the M16. The AK with its 7.62 round was able to penetrate through a cinder block while the M16s 5.56 couldnt. However, the AK47 was less accurate with way more recoil. The end result was that the AK was much closer to a machine gun rather than an assault rifle and that no gun was clearly better than the other.

Desert Eagle, if you're talking about the 50 cal, has a lot more power than a Glock, which is normally a 9mm.

Also, check out this quick video I made today using the high speed mode on my camera. I'll probably make another one once I get to the range but for now I only have manual feed and ejections.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLJAlulgBCE

What kind of M1A is that and how much?

While a .22 is real cheap to shoot, it might leave you wanting a bit more "oopmh" once you get used to shooting. IF you do go the .22 route, I dont suggest paying $500-600 to do so.
You can find a used .22 rifle for next to nothing. Put all that money towards a real AR or AK and you will be glad you did!

Zyzyxxz said:
What do you guys think about those new AR15's that come configured for .22LR?

I've been eyeing them for some time and since I don't own any guns but would like to get started I figure for $500-600 I can get started with something that has very affordable ammo.

I've seen the S&W Mp 15-22 and the Colt branded ones both look pretty decent.

Wow that's a beaut you got yourself there.

MisterNoisy said:

EDIT:

Just picked up a Savage 93R17 BTVS. Waiting on MidwayUSA to deliver my scope and rings - hopefully that they'll be here in time for me to take it to the range next weekend:

5cwo06.jpg

RustyNails said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6BpI3xD6h0

salva said:

Yup thats the vid I was talkin about! :D

Zyzyxxz said:
What kind of M1A is that and how much?

Springfield M1A Loaded.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=158579736

Here is the exact same model I have. As you can see, they sell pretty high. I got lucky and found a private seller that was selling his brand new, with not many rounds through it for 1400. Thats easily a half a grand discount. Dont see that every day. :D

Its very badass and the construction and quality is top notch.

So do you guys know where i can get a gun permit? Or what i have to do in order to get one? I really want a mosin nagant =]

California here btw.

BTW lionheart, you have some awesome guns

Zyzyxxz

salva said:
So do you guys know where i can get a gun permit? Or what i have to do in order to get one? I really want a mosin nagant =]

California here btw.

just go to Big 5 and buy a Mosin when they have a sale on them which is quite often, sometimes you can get them as low as $90 and usually they go up to $120. The guys there should tell you all you need to know.

salva said:

California here btw.

Thanks, although I think MidnightRiders got a better collection than I do. :D

As for CA law, they have some pretty crappy restrictions for rifles, although I dont think you need a permit to buy and own a rifle. Pistols you probably do, but rifles I dont think so. The tricky stuff is with AR-15s because they are for the most part modular and you can build them yourself pretty easily. This also opens you up to possibly building a rifle that has illegal specifications in your state. Mosin Nagants SHOULD be fine but I'd try to do a little more research. Hopefully somebody here from CA can help out a little more.

If you're looking for a mosin nagant in your state, the best thing to do is probably go to a gun shop near you and ask if they have any in stock and if they can help you order one in. The good thing about gun shops is they have to follow the guidelines and restrictions so you wont buy an illegal firearm, it just wont happen unless youre really unlucky. Private sales can be risky because you have no idea where the firearm came from originally. The gun could be legal in alabama with a 30round magazine but it wont be in CA and you'll get screwed royally.

golem

salva said:

California here btw.

You don't need a permit for rifles in CA. For pistols there is a brief quiz. Both have 10 day waiting periods.

Here is how to have a legal AR/AK in California, to give you a sense of our wonderful laws:

4376812373_8ed2f0f506_o.jpg

Full chart with appendixes here: http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Calguns is a great resource for California gun owners: www.calguns.net

Glad this thread popped up, looks like it hasn't quite been ruined by anti-gun gaffers.

I own a range of firearms from a Remington .25-06 to a 357 Mag. I one day would like an AR-15.

edit - damn old thrad

BakedPigeon said:
Glad this thread popped up, looks like it hasn't quite been ruined by anti-gun gaffers.

I own a range of firearms from a Remington .25-06 to a 357 Mag. I one day would like an AR-15.

edit - damn old thrad

Its ok, we've been keeping it alive for the past 2 weeks or so. :D

MisterNoisy

Nostalgic Nightmare said:
Wow that's a beaut you got yourself there.

Thanks! Only downside is that I won't have any excuses for bad shots. :lol The Savage AccuTrigger is insanely good for a factory unit - no creep or grit and it releases at just over 2.5# - I haven't even adjusted it yet, so I know it can go lighter.

Top Bottom