• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any gun owners lurking...

Chorazin

I got into knife collecting for a hot minute, then suddenly I had a bunch of $400 knives I never carried and wondered what the hell I was doing. Luckily knives don't really lose value so I turned them around and got out pretty much even.

These days I just carry a DPX H.E.A.T., it's the perfect size for EDC for me and it's heavy duty enough to be put to work.

Bandit1

colt.jpg

Looks like Colt is getting back in the revolver game... About time. I think they missed an opportunity for a fourth gen Detective Special in the last ten years especially considering the popularity of the Ruger LCR and S&W 442/642. Anyway, will be interesting to see the price point and reviews for a new Cobra and if more "snake guns" are to follow.

And since we're talking about knives, I really love my CRKT Ruger Crack Shot compact with spring assisted opening:
RUG1201K-2T.jpg

Eyeron

^^^
Noice.

Colt definitely has my attention. One of my dream guns is a mint condition Python. Not paying $3,000+ for one. I have a Diamondback (.22lr) and even that thing is sweet. It neutralized many rattlesnakes while I was growing up in rural NM.

Bandit1

^^^
Noice.

Colt definitely has my attention. One of my dream guns is a mint condition Python. Not paying $3,000+ for one. I have a Diamondback (.22lr) and even that thing is sweet. It neutralized many rattlesnakes while I was growing up in rural NM.

I'd love to have a Python as well, but like you said, I couldn't give $3,000 for one.

Best way to post pics of your guns so it doesn't show the serial or anything for identification ?

Maybe put your picture in MS paint/photoshop/etc. and put a black bar over the serial before you upload the picture. That should do the trick.

hwalker84

^^^
Noice.

Colt is upping their game after several companies (FN in particular) started crushing them in the government contract market. Please make the Colt Python again.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Colt is upping their game after several companies (FN in particular) started crushing them in the government contract market. Please make the Colt Python again.
There are rumors that they're teaching their current gunsmiths how to make them.

I handled one about a month ago, it felt very nice in the hand. Though I have to say the Cobra was nicer.

despire

Guys, any opinions on this:

Ruger AR556 vs. S&W M&P15?

I know there's a ton of stuff on this question online but here in Finland there's one difference compared to the US between these two rifles: The Ruger costs 1000-1100€ while the MP15 costs 1300-1400€.

AFAIK they cost pretty much the same in the US so the situation is a bit different. So, any reason I should pay the 300€ extra for the S&W compared to the Ruger?

I've had the S&W in the past and I liked it. Does the Ruger still have the problem with the overly tight pins? How about proprietary parts like the delta ring (gonna put in a freefloat handguard eventually). Which has the better barrel?

I haven't heard of any issues with the M&P like you mentioned with the Ruger. If those 2 are your only options worth considering in Finland then the M&P is probably what you'll want. I think the M&P also uses standard parts.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Hello gun Gaf. Found out there was a thing such as gun Gaf about a month ago. Might as well introduce myself. Hmmmm... where to start...I grew up around guns as a kid. My grandfather taught me the basics. Went into the marine corp when I was 18 then got out in 2011 and frist thing I bought when I was out was a 1911. Currently own 11 guns. 5 rifles and 6 handguns. And that's about it. Can't buy anymore guns until I get anther gun safe so I'm going to stay at that 11 for a while. Till then I pack as much ammo as that thing can hold. So hello gunGaf, hope we get along :D

Used-ID

I say welcome.
I've got 3 pistols, 4 carbines and a shotgun.
The wife has a pistol and pump-action Remington .22

Now if only I had the time and money to go to the range as often as of like....

Piggus

I'd buy the shit out of that if it were in 308 (and I weren't saving for a wedding).

Hello gun Gaf. Found out there was a thing such as gun Gaf about a month ago. Might as well introduce myself. Hmmmm... where to start...I grew up around guns as a kid. My grandfather taught me the basics. Went into the marine corp when I was 18 then got out in 2011 and frist thing I bought when I was out was a 1911. Currently own 11 guns. 5 rifles and 6 handguns. And that's about it. Can't buy anymore guns until I get anther gun safe so I'm going to stay at that 11 for a while. Till then I pack as much ammo as that thing can hold. So hello gunGaf, hope we get along :D

Welcome!

hwalker84

Welcome!

Bandit1

Little update on that new Colt Cobra: MSRP is $699. Initial impressions seem good. I kind of want one...

In the meantime I borrowed my grandmother's Detective Special, it had been sitting awhile so I pulled the side plate, cleaned and oiled it up a little bit and put a Hogue grip on it. (Not as classy but feels much better.) It's not in the best condition, but it shoots well and I love this little gun. Hence the reason I'm sorta excited for the Cobra.

31191994814_5bf0a6cd5b_c.jpg

31420458043_f909a91aa7_c.jpg

Does Walmart carry tactical Mossberg 500s? I want an 18.5 inch barrel but am worried they'd only have sporting models with long barrels. All the other gun stores near me have closed or moved. :(

Eyeron

Does Walmart carry tactical Mossberg 500s? I want an 18.5 inch barrel but am worried they'd only have sporting models with long barrels. All the other gun stores near me have closed or moved. :(

Highly doubt it. I try to support local shops but have bought my last 3 firearms on gunbroker and had them shipped to nearby FFL holders for transfers. My usual guy has a day job as a carpenter but does FFL transfers for side cash.

hwalker84

What are people most excited to see from Shot Show 2017? Personally not much I want to see. My next pistol is probably a CZ-P10c FDE but I'm honestly at the point where I've purchased almost everything I want. This rumored HK VP9L doesn't excite me. I have a Walther PPQ M2 5 inch and FNS 9L.

Husdon H9... I'm not beta testing that thing for $1200
Silencerco Maxim 9... Not beta testing that thing either. Plus I have a Rugged Suppressor Obsidian 45 on the way. I mean honestly what the hell is the purpose for this firearm? Glorified bedside pistol? Thing is massive.

I'm going next year though.

Hudson is very interesting to me, but like you i probably wont beta test it.

The Sig 320X is cool and i kinda wish I had waited for it as I have a regular 320C and feel like the conversion kits/grips will be so hard to get.

Kinda thinking about selling the 320C and getting the P10.

Bandit1

What are people most excited to see from Shot Show 2017? Personally not much I want to see. My next pistol is probably a CZ-P10c FDE but I'm honestly at the point where I've purchased almost everything I want. This rumored HK VP9L doesn't excite me. I have a Walther PPQ M2 5 inch and FNS 9L.

Husdon H9... I'm not beta testing that thing for $1200
Silencerco Maxim 9... Not beta testing that thing either. Plus I have a Rugged Suppressor Obsidian 45 on the way. I mean honestly what the hell is the purpose for this firearm? Glorified bedside pistol? Thing is massive.

I'm going next year though.

Looking forward to some more impressions of the Colt Cobra, Mossberg had a couple of new, more compact offerings in their 500/590 line, and if Walther reveals anything it will have my attention.

Hudson H9 and Silencerco Maxim 9 are pretty interesting, but don't appeal that much to me, especially with their price tags.

Speaking of your PPQ M2, I think I remember you saying that the frame broke on yours and you bought another. Couple quick questions, what caused the frame to break? And are the frames the same on the 4" and the 5" models?

hwalker84

Looking forward to some more impressions of the Colt Cobra, Mossberg had a couple of new, more compact offerings in their 500/590 line, and if Walther reveals anything it will have my attention.

Hudson H9 and Silencerco Maxim 9 are pretty interesting, but don't appeal that much to me, especially with their price tags.

Speaking of your PPQ M2, I think I remember you saying that the frame broke on yours and you bought another. Couple quick questions, what caused the frame to break? And are the frames the same on the 4" and the 5" models?

I broke it because I was kitchen gunsmithing. Basically I was installing the Apex trigger (why would you want to upgrade the PPQ trigger??? I know silly). I finished the install but as I was putting the slide stop (which was took the hammer of thor to get out) back in I pushed the metal through the plastic basically rendering the gun useless.

PPQ_FRAME_0034.jpg

Look at the two circles. That tab goes into that little piece of the frame. When trying to pushed the L shaped slide stop back in it put enough pressure on that tiny piece of plastic that it broke.

The frame of the 4 inch and 5 inch are the same. I carry the 4 inch sometimes and use the five inch slide for shooting/competing.

appaws

Banned
The only new thing I want still is the Kimber revolver that was revealed at last year's show, I think. They are supposed to be coming into better supply soon from what I hear. Love me some Kimber.

Piggus

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a lot more guns with integrated suppressors assuming the hearing protection act passes.

Bandit1

I broke it because I was kitchen gunsmithing. Basically I was installing the Apex trigger (why would you want to upgrade the PPQ trigger??? I know silly). I finished the install but as I was putting the slide stop (which was took the hammer of thor to get out) back in I pushed the metal through the plastic basically rendering the gun useless.

PPQ_FRAME_0034.jpg

Look at the two circles. That tab goes into that little piece of the frame. When trying to pushed the L shaped slide stop back in it put enough pressure on that tiny piece of plastic that it broke.

The frame of the 4 inch and 5 inch are the same. I carry the 4 inch sometimes and use the five inch slide for shooting/competing.

I see, thanks for explaining it. The PPQ is on my short list and I just wondered if some defect or malfunction got your frame.

I bought a PPK today. It's a Smith and Wesson in .380, but it's a PPK, not PPK/S. I'm out of things I want as far as handguns go.

To rifles! Old, beautiful WWI/WWII rifles...

Greetings gunGAF, I'm looking for a little advice on shopping around for a handgun. I currently own a Remington 11-87 shotgun, but I'm looking for something a little more focused on self defense. With the current political climate, I guess this is something of a "doomsday prepper" purchase, so I'm curious about specific criteria, such as reliability, commonality of ammunition, ease of cleaning, durability, and power. I guess the "commonality of ammunition" is maybe the only unusual one there, but I've been playing Fallout 4 recently and the constant ammo shortage has made me take that into consideration IRL. My budget at the moment is $500. If you guys have any recommendations I'd love to hear them.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
RUG6822-1-large.jpg

Picking up my stainless ruger gunsite scout in 8 days. Already bought two poly mags and a sling to go with it. Next I'm gonna either gonna get a red dot or a scout/pistol scope.

despire

Ordered my first real AR-15. German Hera Arms rifle.

https://www.hera-arms.com

Picked the LS040 lower (so it comes with the Magpul CTR stock) and the US090 upper which means a 16,75" barrel with a 15" handguard. Swapped out the basic picatinny rail to a M-LOK one.

So basically this one but with a different rail system:

Cost 1895€ in total but I think it's better value when compared to something like the M&P15 which costs 1400€ here. Quality should be way higher and it has what I want right out of the box. Upgrading whatever cheapo rifle to what I want would cost approx the same anyway..

Also gonna get some Magpul MBUS Pro's and the ASAP QD end plate. Also a comp, probably the Hera CC one.

Greetings gunGAF, I'm looking for a little advice on shopping around for a handgun. I currently own a Remington 11-87 shotgun, but I'm looking for something a little more focused on self defense. With the current political climate, I guess this is something of a "doomsday prepper" purchase, so I'm curious about specific criteria, such as reliability, commonality of ammunition, ease of cleaning, durability, and power. I guess the "commonality of ammunition" is maybe the only unusual one there, but I've been playing Fallout 4 recently and the constant ammo shortage has made me take that into consideration IRL. My budget at the moment is $500. If you guys have any recommendations I'd love to hear them.

Check out the Springfield XD models. I currently own a XD 40 sub-compact and I love it more than the Glock 23 I owned before it.
The Smith & Wesson M&P pistols were my next choice.
Walther, Ruger, Sig Sauer, CZ make good guns in your price range.

Probably want to stay away from Taurus, Glock, clone brands (Bersa) and entry level 1911's (rock island).

9mm is fine, 40S&W has more stopping power, 45ACP has more stopping power but the ammo is expensive. Don't bother with any other caliber because it's going to be more expensive, harder to find, or not have enough stopping power.

Don't forget to budget for conceal carry classes, holster, ammo (target ammo and JHP, you'll want to make sure your gun will shoot both without jams).

Pistols are easy to take of, just need some a patches (and patch holder stick), caliber specific brush, gun solvent and gun oil. Hickok45 has a good video on glock cleaning but the principals are the same. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZf4mUM10Vc . He uses a cleaner that's also an oil but I've never seen it at any of my local stores.

appaws

Banned
I love my XD as well. I have a .45 as my main defense and concealed carry weapon.

The key I think is to try different ones if you can. Maybe a range with rentals.

Glocks are great as well, and a lot of people like their grip angle better. I am not sure why the previous poster had them on his list of guns to avoid. I don't agree with that, and I don't think many will. They are a world standard for a reliable and excellent automatic pistol.

The XD series has a grip angle more like a 1911, so a lot of the older guys, especially those who were in the military before the switch to Beretta appreciate that.

You could also consider revolvers. A nice .357 revolver is always good. (and you can use .38 specials in it as well.) Simple to use and clean and very reliable.

Thanks for the advice you guys, I went to my local gun shop today and it turns out it's actually way harder to get a handgun in Maryland than I though. I'm originally from South Carolina so I was surprised by the rigamarole. I have to get a state license to even purchase a handgun. I'm going to get started on that process but I'll do more research with your input in the meantime.

Funnily enough I could just have walked in and walked out with an AR-15 but the price points for it or similar firearms a bit above my budget at the moment. Still, it's going to take 30 days minimum to get the license from what the salesman said so I might be able to save up enough in the meantime.

Top Bottom