• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any gun owners lurking...

Eyeron

^^

I had a similar experience when I moved to WA from NM. Had to wait nearly 2 weeks before I could pick up a handgun after filling out the paperwork. You need a concealed pistol license if you want to take the handgun home upon purchase. Thankfully, getting a CPL in this State is very easy. No training or certification required. Probably too easy.

LiamA

A Glock 19 is one of the best jack-of-all-trades pistols you can buy. Large enough to comfortably shoot, compact enough for carry if you desire, and holds a decent capacity (15+1 of 9mm).

Definitely do not avoid Glocks. They are excellent pistols. If you look around, you can get used gen 3s for reasonable prices.

appaws

Banned
A Glock 19 is one of the best jack-of-all-trades pistols you can buy. Large enough to comfortably shoot, compact enough for carry if you desire, and holds a decent capacity (15+1 of 9mm).

Definitely do not avoid Glocks. They are excellent pistols. If you look around, you can get used gen 3s for reasonable prices.

I am an XD man, but I love Glocks too. I have shot both in competition, but I have to say I fell in love with the Glock 34 for use in matches. I was kind of conflicted, because I wanted to shoot matches with as close to what I carried IRL as possible, but my scores actually got better with the Glock.

I tell a lot of people that want an auto pistol that they need to look no further than the 17 or 19. They are as reliable as an auto pistol can get.

hwalker84

Greetings gunGAF, I'm looking for a little advice on shopping around for a handgun. I currently own a Remington 11-87 shotgun, but I'm looking for something a little more focused on self defense. With the current political climate, I guess this is something of a "doomsday prepper" purchase, so I'm curious about specific criteria, such as reliability, commonality of ammunition, ease of cleaning, durability, and power. I guess the "commonality of ammunition" is maybe the only unusual one there, but I've been playing Fallout 4 recently and the constant ammo shortage has made me take that into consideration IRL. My budget at the moment is $500. If you guys have any recommendations I'd love to hear them.

Do you know if you prefer striker fired or DA/SA? By self defense do you mean you want to conceal carry it or just Home defense?

9mm and..45 are probably the most common home defense and readily available ammo.

I marked which ones I actually carry in my list below as: (Carry Gun)

• Glock 17
  • Glock 19 (Carry Gun)
  • Walther PPQ M2 9mm (Carry Gun)
  • Walther PPQ 45
  • FN Herstal FNS 9c (Carry Gun)
  • FN Herstal FNS 9
  • CZ-P07
  • CZ-P09
  • HK VP9 (Carry Gun)

I may have some other suggestions based off your answers to my first two questions.

Also buy online and have it shipped to your FFL. You're going to get raped in a local store.

Bandit1

Also buy online and have it shipped to your FFL. You're going to get raped in a local store.

Yep, just purchased my first gun - Walther PPS M2, at gunbuyer.com on sale for $369, no tax, no shipping charge. Local store would have been more like $450 before tax. Hopefully it comes in sometime next week, I'm excited!

hwalker84

Yep, just purchased my first gun - Walther PPS M2, at gunbuyer.com on sale for $369, no tax, no shipping charge. Local store would have been more like $450 before tax. Hopefully it comes in sometime next week, I'm excited!

I only buy locally when I'm impatient, the price isn't outrageously higher than online, and I really really like the local business. Those three factors need to be hit for me to even consider a store.

Chorazin

Greetings gunGAF, I'm looking for a little advice on shopping around for a handgun. I currently own a Remington 11-87 shotgun, but I'm looking for something a little more focused on self defense. With the current political climate, I guess this is something of a "doomsday prepper" purchase, so I'm curious about specific criteria, such as reliability, commonality of ammunition, ease of cleaning, durability, and power. I guess the "commonality of ammunition" is maybe the only unusual one there, but I've been playing Fallout 4 recently and the constant ammo shortage has made me take that into consideration IRL. My budget at the moment is $500. If you guys have any recommendations I'd love to hear them.

Glock 19, like others have said. It's the most popular handgun in the US (so lots of parts available), shoots 9mm (the most popular caliber), and is ridiculously reliable.

However, you gotta realize training and ammo are the most expensive parts of gun ownership. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take some training classes!

Do you know if you prefer striker fired or DA/SA? By self defense do you mean you want to conceal carry it or just Home defense?

9mm and..45 are probably the most common home defense and readily available ammo.

I marked which ones I actually carry in my list below as: (Carry Gun)

• Glock 17
  • Glock 19 (Carry Gun)
  • Walther PPQ M2 9mm (Carry Gun)
  • Walther PPQ 45
  • FN Herstal FNS 9c (Carry Gun)
  • FN Herstal FNS 9
  • CZ-P07
  • CZ-P09
  • HK VP9 (Carry Gun)

I may have some other suggestions based off your answers to my first two questions.

This is a great list. I would add a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield. I own the 9mm. Yeah it only hold 8 +1 with the extended mag but it is slim and feels great in the hands (and I have pretty large hands). Since it holds so little I actually carry one extra mag in my pocket, and one in my backpack everyday.

I've lurked but never posted but I enjoy target shooting and have picked up a few things recently. So far my collection is

S&W Shield 9mm
Hi-Point 9mm (never use, first gun)
HK VP-9
Mossberg 500A
S&W model 66 (newer version)

I had a Glock 19 but traded it yesterday toward the 66. Always wanted a revolver and I just wasn't great with the glock. I'm not to shabby with the VP-9 for just trying it yesterday but couldn't get the glock down.

hwalker84

I've lurked but never posted but I enjoy target shooting and have picked up a few things recently. So far my collection is

S&W Shield 9mm
Hi-Point 9mm (never use, first gun)
HK VP-9
Mossberg 500A
S&W model 66 (newer version)

I had a Glock 19 but traded it yesterday toward the 66. Always wanted a revolver and I just wasn't great with the glock. I'm not to shabby with the VP-9 for just trying it yesterday but couldn't get the glock down.
Stock Glock sights are atrocious.

Got a Kidd Ultra Lightweight barrel for my 10/22. Feels noticeably lighter than the stainless steel factory barrel. Shoots much better as well. Can't wait to shoot it some more.

Bandit1

32099420454_30aec3b5fd_c.jpg

My Walther PPS M2 came in today. Technically my first gun, but I've been around guns for a while. Did quite a bit of research before settling on the Walther and now that I've got it I'm very pleased with the choice. The gun fits my hand perfectly with the 7 round mag, it's slim but doesn't feel awkward in any way. Only had time to shoot a few mags through it this afternoon, but recoil is easily managable and the gun seems very accurate. Even the short 6 round mag handled well.

Xtyle

Just applied for the CCW and expect to get it within 40 days (Illinois).
Thinking about getting an CZ handgun, particularly the PCR.
This is going to be my first gun though...should I stick to something simple like a Glock 19?

Chorazin

This is going to be my first gun though...should I stick to something simple like a Glock 19?

Go to a place you can rent guns and try a few different ones.

I absolutely love Glocks and would recommend them to every single person. That being said Glock fans are die hard and swear by them. Non Glock people hate them. They are a very divided base. I personal think they are the most reliable and toughest hand gun.

Chorazin

I absolutely love Glocks and would recommend them to every single person. That being said Glock fans are die hard and swear by them. Non Glock people hate them. They are a very divided base. I personal think they are the most reliable and toughest hand gun.

High Five!

Love my Glock 19. The only gun I'd trade it for would be a Glock 17 with the grip shaved to be Glock 19 sized.

hwalker84

I look at Glocks like ar-15's. Solid platform with a billion customization options. Atrocious factory sights. Ok trigger. Ok ergonomics. Legendary reliability (though I've seen a ton shit the bed in classes like every other pistol). That being said as much as I used to hate them I've come to respect them and own a Vickers 19 and Gen 4 Glock 34.

anyone build an AR?

I cant decide on a lower. Is it really just up to which logo I like?

If you mean build as it stick a an upper and lower together, then yes, I have built an AR. lol

I ended up with a Palmetto State Armory complete lower with Magpul grip and Magpul stock. With shipping and background check it cost like $175. I opted for a "blemished" lower and found absolutely no scratches/marks/burrs. The fit and finish is very good, and it mated to my upper (SAA) very nicely. PSA sources their part from respected manufactures like FN.

For a $175~ lower the trigger ain't half bad either.

Xtyle

I tried out Glock 19 (not sure which gen). It felt pretty good shooting but I have small hands so something just a tad bit smaller would be a better fit for me.

That said, I think I will end up getting it anyway, probably a MOS model.
Isn't GEN 5 in the works? How long do you think we will have to wait for the next one?

hwalker84

I tried out Glock 19 (not sure which gen). It felt pretty good shooting but I have small hands so something just a tad bit smaller would be a better fit for me.

That said, I think I will end up getting it anyway, probably a MOS model.
Isn't GEN 5 in the works? How long do you think we will have to wait for the next one?
Gen 5 Aka Glock 17m isn't available to the public yet and there's been some reported issues.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/08/19/breaking-glock-17m-recalled-police-department/

Bandit1

s7qhhRx.jpg

Finally got to take my Omega home today. I mailed the paperwork on May 17th. Yowza.

Looks awesome!

I've been able to spend more time with my PPS and I'm loving it more and more. Went out shooting with my uncle a few days ago and he has a Kel-Tec P11 for concealed carry. I don't like to talk bad about other people's stuff but I was not impressed with the Kel-Tec at all. We sat a pop can out at about 7 yards and shot the P11 first, with one mag for me and one for him. Between the two of us we only got the can once and the gun had three FTE's. Oh and the trigger pull was loooooooooong. We switched to my PPS and I think I hit 5/7 on the first mag.

I also happened to pick up another gun...

32314380274_98b4a9d948_c.jpg

Smith and Wesson .38 special pre-Model 10. Did some research and apparently the gun was made before WWII.

TaterTots

Banned
Looks awesome!

I've been able to spend more time with my PPS and I'm loving it more and more. Went out shooting with my uncle a few days ago and he has a Kel-Tec P11 for concealed carry. I don't like to talk bad about other people's stuff but I was not impressed with the Kel-Tec at all. We sat a pop can out at about 7 yards and shot the P11 first, with one mag for me and one for him. Between the two of us we only got the can once and the gun had three FTE's. Oh and the trigger pull was loooooooooong. We switched to my PPS and I think I hit 5/7 on the first mag.

I also happened to pick up another gun...

32314380274_98b4a9d948_c.jpg

Smith and Wesson .38 special pre-Model 10. Did some research and apparently the gun was made before WWII.

That is beautiful. Never owned a handgun before, but I want something like this.

Bandit1

That is beautiful. Never owned a handgun before, but I want something like this.

We shot it too and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it did. The action was very smooth, cylinder locked up nicely, mild recoil, and pretty darn accurate too. I think you could get an old Smith and Wesson like that for $300-$500 depending on condition.

hwalker84

I'm too impatient to buy any more NFA items. Bought my suppressor in May at the NRA show from silencershop (generally adds 1-2 months to the wait). Form 4 was submitted on 7/4/16... Called a few days ago and they said 2-3 more months. Holy fuck man that's just way to damn long.

LiamA

I'm too impatient to buy any more NFA items. Bought my suppressor in May at the NRA show from silencershop (generally adds 1-2 months to the wait). Form 4 was submitted on 7/4/16... Called a few days ago and they said 2-3 more months. Holy fuck man that's just way to damn long.

Yeah, it's a drag. I have one last suppressor I'm waiting on. After I move this summer, I'll probably do one more SBR (Vz. 61 Skorpion) and then be done for a while.

nice, what grip is that?

Magpul MOE K2.

Looking to be selling my XD9 tomorrow for $350 which leads me to a dilemma. Do I want to get a new gun or stock up on ammo? Currently this is what I have

Glock 17 & 19
Mossberg 500
Ruger 10/22
S&W M&P 15

I have about 2-3,000 9mm, 450 12 gauge shells, 1,000 .22, and about 500 between .223 and 5.56. I'm kind of wanting a Mossberg 590 although I don't need it. I feel like buying more 9mm and AR ammo is the smarter option but I'm indecisive when it comes to my collection. I want to add but I want to use what I already have too.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Christ. What a collection!

Right?! Dude has a "attack keep" with dual mounted 50cal machine guns (that are remotely operated)and a Gatling gun in the front! A working and full functioning tank. Land minds, canons, a fucking Nazi belt buckle gun! He even has 500 lbs from Vietnam and 12 cluster bombs from the same era! The list goes on and on! It's jaw dropping just looking at it all.

Used-ID

I like the idea of a silencer that attaches that way...

I doubt it's as effective as a threaded barrel, but I do like the idea....

Top Bottom