• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else regret buying a Wii u?

I see a lot of comments about it having the best games, and I know that's opinions and all... but why do I feel like some people try to shove it down your throat like its fact even if you don't like Nintendo games anymore or never did...?

Even factually speaking, that's debatable considering how it missed out on the highest rated game of both last gen and currently this gen, remaster or not. And no I'm not talking about Mario Galaxy.

Also I saw a comment about the OS being the best: its way too slow to even be in contention to be the best.

hwy_61

Banned
I see a lot of comments about it having the best games, and I know that's opinions and all... but why do I feel like some people try to shove it down your throat like its fact even if you don't like Nintendo games anymore or never did...?

Even factually speaking, that's debatable considering how it missed out on the highest rated game of both last gen and currently this gen, remaster or not. And no I'm not talking about Mario Galaxy.

Also I saw a comment about the OS being the best: its way too slow to even be in contention to be the best.

The Wii U had been underwhelming in terms of sales, and I feel that gets people to become loud about the platform. Justifiably so, since the Wii U does have some amazing bangers.

Aizo

Banned
And I cant even get into the w101, and returned smash due to poor controls/online play.
I understand the first statement, but the controls are completely customizable with more capable controllers than any other game I can think of.

I imagine someone already mentioned this, but I'm curious what you mean. Did you play previous smash titles?

Yokai

I own a Wii U and I'm ok with it.

3D World is probably the best Mario game they've made in a long, long time.

The Wii U had been underwhelming in terms of sales, and I feel that gets people to become loud about the platform. Justifiably so, since the Wii U does have some amazing bangers.
Hwy is right. They're frustrated from the sales so they seem like they're forcing their opinion on you.

I think that's it man....No way I'm playing Mario kart, Mario World Bayonetta, Pikmin, and DK/Kirby games for years and years. I do love Nintendo, but the praise is a bit exaggerated unless you really fall in love with some of there games and play it for years, the value just isn't there for me. But, to be fair, there games do have the highest chance of being fun for a very very long time, I'm just not into them as much besides Smash Brothers. Everything else, I beat once or twice like any other game.

Mario 3D, Smash, Kart is really really amazing games though. But WiiU is your second console, period. Don't care what other people say, it's not even comparable to PS4/Steam IMO.

Hwy is right. They're frustrated from the sales so they seem like they're forcing their opinion on you.

That's is just dumb imo. Not you, but their behavior if that's the case.

I bring this up because I was literally being harassed by a co-worker who wouldn't shut up about how "I'm wasting my money by getting a PS4 over a Wii U". I asked him how much it was and told him I'll donate that money instead of buying one just to get him off my back.

Nintendo doesn't need that level of defending. He wasn't the only one to do that either. Some EbGames clerk did the same shit with me. Unbelievable.

hwy_61

Banned
That's is just dumb imo. Not you, but their behavior if that's the case.

I bring this up because I was literally being harassed by a co-worker who wouldn't shut up about how "I'm wasting my money by getting a PS4 over a Wii U". I asked him how much it was and told him I'll donate that money instead of buying one just to get him off my back.

Nintendo doesn't need that level of defending. He wasn't the only one to do that either. Some EbGames clerk did the same shit with me. Unbelievable.

Well that's just rude. There's a difference between creating awareness about the Wii U, and shoving it down people's throats. I don't think people on this forum do the latter.

That being said, the Wii U does compliment a PS4!

batbeg

"Why do people try to shove it down your throat like its face ... Last of Us is the greatest game anyway"

Well alrighty then.

I can actually commiserate with this one.

It's apples and oranges to a degree, but go directly from Bayonetta 2 to SSB. Get ready to want to smash the controller due to how stiff, sluggish, and unresponsive the controls feel I'm SSB by comparison.

I feel like Smash Wii U is almost going in slow motion compared to Project M, that feels so much more fluid and slick.

"Why do people try to shove it down your throat like its face ... Last of Us is the greatest game anyway"

Well alrighty then.

I like how I never mentioned The Last of Us. Carry on.

Well that's just rude. There's a difference between creating awareness about the Wii U, and shoving it down people's throats. I don't think people on this forum do the latter.

That being said, the Wii U does compliment a PS4!

I would look into it when its cheap some day after its time has passed. I always do that with consoles I don't tend to pick up during its generation to save some money. Thanks for your input though. :)

Zolbrod

With Xenoblade X coming out at the end of this month?
HELL NO.

But even if it hadn't, I've still gotten plenty of fun out of the console, so I don't regret it at all.

The only thing I hate about it is that it has like a 4GB mandatory install right out of the box, so if you bought a Basic pack (like I did), you instantly lose half of your storage space, which is absolutely unacceptable, and it's ridiculous that Nintendo hasn't made up for this somehow.

I'm half and half. I haven't hooked it up in a month, and I don't see that many games that I give a shit about on the horizon (Xenoblade and Star Fox). I have little faith in the third party support, so that stream of odd, fun Japanese titles is near moot compared to the Wii.

But at the same time, I've had some damn good memories. I didn't enjoy Mario Kart 8 as much as many people did, but I put in a good two month's worth of time before tossing it out, only because I had nobody to play with and the game lacked content (I know the DLC is a thing, but it's not enough to bring me back). Hyrule Warriors was spectacular, and I'm not even done with that game. Same goes for Bayo 2, Wonderful 101, and Smash.

Considering I got it for cheap, and considering the hours I spent within those games that were pure fun, I'd say I don't regret it, but I feel like there's a ton of wasted potential with that system, and I hope Nintendo corrects it.

Roto13

What if someone has really narrow tastes?

Why do people act like "Nintendo games" is a genre?

emrober5

I don't regret my purchase, because I've enjoyed the games I have for it.

But I haven't bought a game for it in months, and it there isn't anything that appeals to me (that is announced) until Star Fox and Zelda (which was delayed).

ironmang

I don't regret my purchase yet since I only got it in November and haven't gotten around to beating the 6-7 games I picked it up for. Had I got it at launch though I'd probably be pretty bummed at this point. Sort of how I feel with my Vita.

No, because it is by far the best of the next-gen systems.

Also, it actually has more than one exclusive worth buying.

I can understand you saying it has the best library so far but best of the next-gen systems? Cmon now.

And it would be nice if there were more than exclusives coming out. Then maybe we wouldn't have these giant stretches of almost no games.

I didn't imply that Nintendo games were a genre, however the behavior of the fans at times makes one wonder if they were since mostly Nintendo games sell on the platform regardless of content, genre and sometimes quality. As a great man once said, you are calling a spade a spade.

Best Wishes,
privitsan02

I did when I first bought it, I probably bought it too early.
But you seriously need to know that first party Nintendo titles rarely has price drop. Look out for retailer deals!

Novocaine

Classing them as a genre is a little stupid, but there is definitely common grounds between most Nintendo games that non-Nintendo games don't have, or imitate poorly. Not really sure how to explain it, but it's kind of like how you can tell a Disney movie is a Disney movie.

And I can totally understand not being a fan of them, I'm getting a little tired of "Nintendo whimsy" myself.

There are deals to be had if you look around. It also works both ways, while games rarely drop in price they also tend to retain their value much better. At least I know when I buy a First Party Nintendo game on day one I'm not going to see it at a fraction of the price 2 weeks after launch. Never understood this complaint.

batbeg

I like how I never mentioned The Last of Us. Carry on.

Or GTAV or whatever, I was too lazy to look up what game the reviewers have told us was the game that was so good last generation that we had to have it again this gen. As a disclaimer I like both of these games on my last-gen/current-gen consoles, I just don't know why you'd throw out an arbitrarily defined "better" game in the same post bitching about people acting like there's such a thing as objectively "better" games.

magnumpy

nintendo games = kiddy games on weak hardware. kiddy games is a reference to the general art style, another way to put it would be bright colorful games with non realistic violence. weak hardware is I think self explanatory.

Roto13

nintendo games = kiddy games on weak hardware. kiddy games is a reference to the general art style, another way to put it would be bright colorful games with non realistic violence. weak hardware is I think self explanatory.

So I see this nonsense is still alive and well in 2015.

Hugstable

Banned

lol people still use kiddy. Really? Reeeeally?

mothball

Maybe a little. I mean, I've used it maybe a total of 40 hours since getting it last August, and I don't see that number rising this year. But it was only $90, so whatever. It can be a dusty trophy in memory of that ridiculous deal.

Yeah I don't think so. The Wii U is way faster now than it was at launch. Having just bought a PS4 myself recently, the OS debate isn't a strong one.

magnumpy

lol people still use kiddy. Really? Reeeeally?

yep. at least I do. "kiddy games" don't really interest me anymore. a further example would be bloodeborne, that game is not kiddy. you might have a different opinion, that's fine, these are all just opinions on a message board.

yep. at least I do. "kiddy games" don't really interest me anymore. a further example would be bloodeborne, that game is not kiddy. you might have a different opinion, that's fine, these are all just opinions on a message board.

Games for everyone are not kiddy games.

Stop being ignorant.

"Kiddy games on weak hardware" is less of an opinion and more of a backhanded shot at people who enjoy them, and attempt to flame up console war shit by bringing Bloodborne into the equation.

Or GTAV or whatever, I was too lazy to look up what game the reviewers have told us was the game that was so good last generation that we had to have it again this gen. As a disclaimer I like both of these games on my last-gen/current-gen consoles, I just don't know why you'd throw out an arbitrarily defined "better" game in the same post bitching about people acting like there's such a thing as objectively "better" games.

I implore that you read my comment once again. It was a mere response to their claims of having the "best games available". You're looking for something that isn't there, evident from your first response to my message. Furthermore, if you think my experiences and/or observations are defined as "bitching", you may have to detach yourself a bit from your bias.

Best wishes

finalflame

So, you did zero research and now you're surprised that Nintendo games hold their value really well because they are quality titles?

I feel absolutely zero sympathy, sorry. I've had my WiiU since launch and no, I don't regret it. In fact, it is my favorite console and has been worth every penny.

This thread is sad.

magnumpy

"Kiddy games on weak hardware" is less of an opinion and more of a backhanded shot at people who enjoy them, and attempt to flame up console war shit by bringing Bloodborne into the equation.

well it's not intended as a backhanded shot at anything. it's just my opinion. your opinion differs? great, no 2 people are exactly the same, it's natural that their opinions would be different.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So, you did zero research and now you're surprised that Nintendo games hold their value really well because they are quality titles?

I feel absolutely zero sympathy, sorry. I've had my WiiU since launch and no, I don't regret it. In fact, it is my favorite console and has been worth every penny.

This thread is sad.

Thing is Sony, MS, 2nd and 3rd parties also have quality titles....and yet their prices go down over time alot more than Nintendos...

I think thats what some ppl are getting at.

Unless only Nintendo makes quality games....if some ppl think that....kinda explains why Nintendo threads go the way they do at times.

Trace

Banned
I regret it only because it has no games I care about. I'm sure once SMTxFE, Xenoblade, and Zelda come out I'll be complaining less.

Neff

It may well be, but people do genuinely think like this, and lots of them. It's quite common for gamers to look to others to decide for them the kinds of games they're allowed to play, be they fellow players or corporate branding. If you look at the '80s, you see that adults had no qualms about playing brightly-coloured, cutesy games such as Pac-Man, Mappy, Bubble Bobble, The New Zealand Story, Mario, Sonic, etc. Over time, a palpable stigma surrounding cutesy stuff has arisen -at least on consoles- among those worried about what is or isn't suitable for their age group, and this divide in demographics has widened ever since Playstation started branding itself as an 'adult' console. It's a shame, because these Nintendo games feature industry-standard design and polish, but gamers forbidding themselves to take the plunge due to what essentially boils down to peer pressure is a very real thing these days.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It may well be, but people do genuinely think like this, and lots of them. It's quite common for gamers to look to others to decide for them the kinds of games they're allowed to play, be they fellow players or corporate branding. If you look at the '80s, you see that adults had no qualms about playing brightly-coloured, cutesy games such as Pac-Man, Mappy, Bubble Bobble, The New Zealand Story, Mario, Sonic, etc. Over time, a palpable stigma surrounding cutesy stuff has arisen -at least on consoles- among those worried about what is or isn't suitable for their age group, and this divide in demographics has widened ever since Playstation started branding itself as an 'adult' console. It's a shame, because these Nintendo games feature industry-standard design and polish, but gamers forbidding themselves to take the plunge due to what essentially boils down to peer pressure is a very real thing these days.

Quoted. For. Truth.

batbeg

I implore that you read my comment once again. It was a mere response to their claims of having the "best games available". You're looking for something that isn't there, evident from your first response to my message. Furthermore, if you think my experiences and/or observations are defined as "bitching", you may have to detach yourself a bit from your bias.

Best wishes

I read your comment again and really don't know what to tell you. I suppose I could try to answer it for you. You want to know why you feel people are shoving it down your throat? It's probably because you're making yourself feel that way. There's no higher occurrence of Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft/PC/Mac/IoS/Android fanboyism but people always play the victim or find a group to point out. Nothing reeks of fanboy bullshit more than people crusading against a fanbase.

But not content with complaining about an entire fanbase you then decide to rely upon more objective measures to prove the strawman argument you supplied them with wrong. So in your first few sentences you've construed an imaginary set of people, given them an argument no one had, and then beat it with critical reviews regarding a game not available on their platform as better through average accolades, thereby doing the very thing you started your rant about.

I mean you're saying this whole comment was a response, but the only people it is a response to don't even exist on this forum. If you were quoting a member maybe you'd be onto something, but instead you pulled them from either your real life or your imagination (us other members can't know one way or another). I thought it was a funny, ridiculous post, and said so. Apparently I showed a bias by mentioning that I thought The Last of Us was the highest rated title for the past two generations. I guess you're implying a pro-Nintendo anti-Sony bias but I don't know how you could conclude that from me thinking it was the highest rated titles two generations running. Unfortunately I'm not sure how to detach myself from said bias because I'm pretty sure like your entire situation you just made it up.

Best Regards

zashga

After last year, I feel the Wii U validated itself as a platform. Things were pretty lean that first year, but now there's a lot to recommend.

As a PC gamer, the Wii U is easily the most compelling console to me. I just picked up a PS4 for Bloodborne, but the upcoming lineup is pretty dire for my tastes. Neither box will be getting much use this year, the way things are going.

alvis.exe

Genuinely curious but would you consider this to be a kiddy game?

HeavyElegantAnnashummingbird.gif

CHC

I would have rather paid 200 bucks for it than 3, but so far I've enjoyed 3d World, Captain Toad, Bayonetta 1 &2, and am looking forward to Xenoblade, Zelda, and a couple other things I can't quite remember.

I'd say that's enough to justify the purchase, but like my Vita, it's not exactly getting worn out from use.

Kaze Kyou

The only thing I regret is that Nintendo can't seem to pull them 3rd party games onto their console, what with their outdated online and hardware and all. Given that I have little time now for gaming (and living costs rising all the time), I'd rather one console instead of having to switch between multiple ones.

I've been begging for a reason to buy one; the day Zelda comes out I'll most likely snap one up automatically, but after Zelda, what then? I've already played the rest of the games (Mario Kart, Wonderful 101 etc) on my brother's Wii U, and apart from Nintendo's stellar first party games the rest don't really appeal to me anymore.

Here's hoping Wii U's successor has backwards compatibility, cause their "game" this generation has been full of regrets. :/

Top Bottom