• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else regret buying a Wii u?

BratmanDu

I never had a wii, and right now, I'm playing Metroid Prime 2, and I'm at Sanctuary Fortress. For the first time. It feels great to finally experience games I missed out on, holds up so well.

Before that I replayed Prime 1, before that, Wind Waker HD (never played WW before either). Before that, I came back to Mario 3D World and finally did Champions Road, before that, Shovel Knight. Before that, Tropical Freeze (still listening to the soundtrack regularly). I played 4 player, giant sized Smash Bros with my nephews last week and had a blast. Next week I'll be cruising around Big Blue at 200cc in Mario Kart 8.

And I still haven't even got Hyrule Warriors, Bayo 1+2, or Cap Toad, or Affordable Space Adventures - so much still to play! Also wanting Kirby, Xenoblade, Splatoon, Fatal Frame, Mario Maker, Zelda of course, and who knows what else they'll announce (F-Zero/Metroid?).

Just look at the variety in genre, gameplay and art style in the games I've bolded - and every single one of those games (that are released) worked right out of the box and is polished to an amazing standard of quality.

No regrets - I've got a hell of a lot of use out of my wiiU, and so much more to come.

danmaku

The OP seems more disappointed in prices for the WiiU wonderful games than the console. But as everyone interested in Nintendo knows, their game prices almost never go down. The value of these games is awesome even after many years and the price reflects it.
I very much like not seeing a game I have spent 60 EUR on going down to 7 EUR after a few months.

Why? You paid full price for a game you thought was worth full price, while others are paying less (a few months later) because they see less value in the game. Games are a terrible investment in general, so I wouldn't worry too much about "losing value". Unless you're a scalper.

I've tried that, but that damn button on the bottom kept messing me up
it was a frustrating experience all together.

So many things....

- The controls are customizable down to each button. You can disable the "damn button on the bottom".
- Smash has never ever used the d-pad for controlling the characters, isn't designed for using it and would be near unplayable with it.

PrimeX

Why? You paid full price for a game you thought was worth full price, while others are paying less (a few months later) because they see less value in the game. Games are a terrible investment in general, so I wouldn't worry too much about "losing value". Unless you're a scalper.

I don't sell my collection of Nintendo games, and maybe this is the reason, they are valuable to me and to others. Also when I will eventually sell my whole system and games after some years, of course I would be happy to get back something, not just money for a beer.

TheMink

So many things....

- The controls are customizable down to each button. You can disable the "damn button on the bottom".
- Smash has never ever used the d-pad for controlling the characters, isn't designed for using it and would be near unplayable with it.

Could you not play brawl with a sideways wii mote? Out of curiosity.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
You can get some refurbished games directly from Nintendo for $33. Right now it's only NSMB Wii U and SM3DW though.

Unfortunately they got rid of MK8 for $33 but it's bundled with a Wiimote Plus and Wii Wheel for $60 which may be good for some folks.

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat550210

I might now pull the trigger on 3D World.

Thanks for this. I would never have browsed their store.

I just wish they would discount older games more, more older games more...regardless of their philosophy. This is a good point tho:

If you saw it sell for $20, that was due to a sale. That is not the typical price for Captain Toad. It's $40. That's what it was at launch and what it will continue to be for many years.

It sounds like what you dislike most about the Wii U is the fact the game prices on Nintendo games do not drop. This has been a known thing with Nintendo consoles dating back to what... the NES? I can't even remember an era that had game prices go through crazy drops UNLESS Nintendo overshipped a game really bad - like they did with Spirit Tracks in Japan where it was in discount bins two weeks later because of how badly the game was overshipped.

This sounds like your regret is that you didn't research the product and the softwre before you bought the console. You bought a Wii U without looking at the prices of the games you wanted first? Really? Hard to miss.

Nintendo charges what they do because they don't believe or approve of the industry trend to release games and basically make all your money the first month, then heavily discount the game and release game of the year versions down the road for $10 less than the original game costs to make more money again on what they advertise as a "budget" version, because it's more expensive to buy the old game and the DLC separately.

Nintendo believes in the value of continuous sales - releasing games that are going to not just sell the first month, but the first year, and maybe for many more. THey don't annualize any of their franchises, allowing them to maintain this price model. Is call of duty Advanced Warfare going to see price drops? Of course - it has a new game coming out a year later. THey have to rapidly discount to maintain sales heading into the new game release. Meanwhile, when Zelda U hits, we won't be getting a brand new Zelda title on home consoels for another 4 or 5 years. So they ahve no reason to discount it. SS will see a $10 or more drop when Zelda U releases, assuming that Skyward Sword is still in print, which it might not be. Still, stores that still ahve new copies will lower the price when the new game hits.

Essentially, Nintendo doesn't agree that the value of the software degrades just because it was released years ago compared to releasing today. They believe it degrades when a new version of said software comes into existence or if, unfortunately, sales of those games become so low it's either stop printing them or attempt to drop the price. If you recall, the Wii era did that with Nintendo Select titles - basically best selling titles that were no longer selling rereleased in a specially marked box for $20. Even then, it is rare Nintendo does that and there was nothing different about those games compared to the original release.

Hard to complain as a consumer, because the entire reason we get upset is because of what the rest of the industry is training us to think, and as a consumer I hate that they are training us to degrade software so fast. I'd much rather have software maintain it's usual value and then have sales to associate with it. Sales don't mean much when the software itself just continues to tank in price every month.

Nintendo frequently offers sales on the digital versions of their games on the Wii U (literally new sales each week), and they are releasing Wii games for cheaper as digital downloads versus physical versions.

This is in addition to frequent retailer sales. Target runs a buy one get one half off sale on Wii U games seemingly every 6 months, and Best Buy among other places run some nice sales too. In addition, Amazon typically undercuts the market price for games in general. For the top selling games (like MK8), it will only undercut by a dollar or so. For other games (like Hyrule Warriors), it's $10+ off compared to say, Walmart.

So, even if you want to buy Wii U games at a discount, you can. YOu just need to watch for sales.

As for me, I am a happy Wii U owner. It's a great console not just due to Nintendo games, but it really gets you into the indie game scene. Sicne there aren't any 3rd party AAA titles, it's nice exploring the eShop and finding some hidden gems you might have otherwise overlooked.

Reading this...it makes sense why they dont. But Sony and MS dont do lots of annualized titles. They still have better price drops, sales, deals. 3rd party is where annualized titles usually happens.

Chitown B

Nintendo charges what they do because they don't believe or approve of the industry trend to release games and basically make all your money the first month, then heavily discount the game

You have to admit this is also because they only release 1-2 games per IP per generation. They CAN'T do this sort of thing because they don't have new IP games every month like the other systems. They have a new Nintendo IP game every 3-4 months usually, so they have to keep the prices high to actually make money.

Chitown B

I don't sell my collection of Nintendo games, and maybe this is the reason, they are valuable to me and to others. Also when I will eventually sell my whole system and games after some years, of course I would be happy to get back something, not just money for a beer.

"I don't sell my games. But when I do..."

lol :)

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
I don't regret purchasing a Wii u. Its got some great exclusives. I sometimes feel console warriors buy consoles they don't like just so they can make threads like these.

I don't regret purchasing a Wii u. Its got some great exclusives. I sometimes feel console warriors buy consoles they don't like just so they can make threads like these.

what?

Anyways,
Conclusion since I recently bought a PS4,
I am quite busy with bloodborne + backlog ( the console came with Last of us,second son,and killzone) plus some free PS+games.

But after all this dark and gritty games,
I really want a Nintendo game,I loved the NSMB3d U,and I thought TLOZ SS,and TLOZ TP were okay games, not great.

I couldn't get into Super smash bros wii u,so hopefully I can get captain Toad for 20 bucks some day, I also plan on getting Xenoblade wii u eventually, but I don't know much about that game either.

The good thing about this thread was I learned about GCU ( now it's 30 dollars) and some people mention GCU stacks with best buy discounts or buy to get one free promos.

I'll keep the Wii U and once I am done with the ps4 from here till Metal gear V
I hope I can snag a good deal for bayo2 or captain toad.

Bought it when Windwaker HD was released. Don't regret it at all at this stage.

Did that too, and I think that was the best time to jump on Wii U train. I bought my Wii U in August 2013 and managed to maintain a perfect balance between keeping up with all new releases and clearing my backlog.

Super Mario 3D World justified the cost of the WiiU alone for me. I can't pay for a better platforming experience outside of Nintendo's consoles.

N° 2048

Bayonetta 2 and that experience alone was worth the Wii U

All of the other games are a bonus to me rofl.

Also makes a great Netflix machine but I do wish they'd add profile support.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Haven't played it too much, but I have enjoyed the games I played. Looking forward to Xenoblade and Zelda. Probably not the most wise purchase, but I do not regret it.

I haven't played my wiiu in about a year and this thread reminds me I need to pick up bayonetta. I'm still really disappointed Zelda was pushed back. ZombieU is excellent if you are looking for cheap games.

Muzicfreq

Banned
that's the problem. there aren't any 3rd party AAA titles. imagine a console with nintendo first party titles, and PS4/XB1 quality/quantity 3rd party titles. I know I'd buy one. all eyes on NX...
This is actually a very I teresting point since I like to make the comparison of the state of wii u kinda like vita.
while sure nintendo only really has first parties and some 3rd, the system isnt selling like hotcakes
while the vita does have essentially 2nd and 3rd parties still keeping the vita from dying, the lack of first party games tend to make people say it is dead as well.

NOw heres the kicker 3DS and PS4 are selling/very well.

I would say nintendo really needs to get back their 3rd party support for the nx or it might end up being another wii u

I barely use mine but SM3DW was worth it by itself, as was DKC:TF. And some other very good games. Not a lot of quantity but insanely high quality.

I have seen this thread for days and never clicked it because I assumed it would be about the GamePad or the types of games or something. Finally curiousity got the best of me because the thread was so long.

You don't like your Wii U because you don't like paying the cost of games?

Now that's a new one.

BumRush

Threads like this are weird. What exactly are you trying to accomplish, OP? Sure there are probably people who regret buying it and people that love the wiiu more than anything...

Muzicfreq

Banned
I have seen this thread for days and never clicked it because I assumed it would be about the GamePad or the types of games or something. Finally curiousity got the best of me because the thread was so long.

You don't like your Wii U because you don't like paying the cost of games?

Now that's a new one.
More of the cost of older titles. Some people wait a year or 2 of launch to buy the system so they can buy the games at a discounted price since initial costs for the system alone are a bit hefty, then to add 2 $60 games just adds 120 on top while if down like the other systems 2 games could be just 50-60 more.

QaaQer

Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat,and what is keeping you from selling it or trading it for credit or something.

I've been keeping mine as a $300 charger for my pro controller as I love using it on PC and ps3 with the mayflower base, plug and play + 80 hour battery ftw. I just got a nyko charging base (super cool product), so I'll be trading the Wii u in as we aren't getting a real Mario 3d galaxy sequel, which is why I bought it in the first place. And even if we did, there would be ambibo shit and I hate that garbage (dlc tied to physical toys).

N° 2048

Threads like this are weird. What exactly are you trying to accomplish, OP? Sure there are probably people who regret buying it and people that love the wiiu more than anything...

Confirmation bias, also called myside bias, is the tendency to search for, interpret, or recall information in a way that confirms one's beliefs or hypotheses.[Note 1][1] It is a type of cognitive bias and a systematic error of inductive reasoning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Zafir

Not really. I've actually used it quite a bit, more than I thought I would when I bought it on a whim a few months after its launch.

Compare that to the Wii which I barely touched.

More of the cost of older titles. Some people wait a year or 2 of launch to buy the system so they can buy the games at a discounted price since initial costs for the system alone are a bit hefty, then to add 2 $60 games just adds 120 on top while if down like the other systems 2 games could be just 50-60 more.

That is fair enough and I understand more clearly now. Nintendo titles are particularly evergreen.

Is it worth buying the Wii U if I have no interest in Mario and platforming games in general?

I never grew up with any of those games so they don't matter to me.

Depends, I don't like platformers anymore, but Mario Kart and Smash are always fun. I mostly got the Wii U b/c I knew Xenoblade X was coming out, and I knew that game alone would justify and more than validate the purchase, it's honestly probably going to be my GOAT (Game of all time).

Then again, I honestly don't play very many games anymore, so I know I can get by with Project M on my Wii, occasional Smash Bros/Mario Kart and a whole lot of Xenoblade X. I don't even like action games, and characters like Bayonetta turn me off so I'm not interested in that. Devil's Third looks entirely stupid, so no interest in that either. I'm interested in Splatoon, and perhaps Zelda if it looks good (but by no means a guaranteed purchase). I'm kinda holding out hope Star Fox will be good, like Assault was on Gamecube but I'm pessimistic about that with Miyamoto working on it.

Kagemusha

Glad I bought the system a few months ago. I also enjoy the sales on eShop. Would I like Steam level discounts? Yes. However, high prices can be a good thing. When I was a kid I played Super Ghouls n Ghosts, Pilot Wings and Sim City for a year because that was all I had. I rented games once a week. AND I FINISHED THEM! I played Chrono Trigger for a year because that was all I had. I don't see a problem even with the slow VC releases, unless you are a collector who thinks you are entitled to own 500 games for under $200. The Console has a good selection of games that are available from $1 to $60.

The games are very entertaining and enjoyable. The technical issues of the console can be annoying, but once I'm in a game, the system is very good.

I have a mental block against paying more than $30 for games on handheld unless it's something I've explicitly wanted since it was announced. Nintendo games pretty much never fall into that category these days and I have a real tough time paying $40 for YANP, especially when it's several years old.

I understand OP's point perfectly and I agree with it, although in my case I regret buying a 3DS. The retail situation for quality titles outside of Nintendo games is dire.

GRIMREEFZ

i regret buying a playstation tv. i got it to play mgs and it doesnt play that or over 50% of vita games. NEVER BUY A PLAYSTATION TV

edit- i use my wiiu every day. OP is silly.

I have a mental block against paying more than $30 for games on handheld unless it's something I've explicitly wanted since it was announced. Nintendo games pretty much never fall into that category these days and I have a real tough time paying $40 for YANP, especially when it's several years old.

I understand OP's point perfectly and I agree with it, although in my case I regret buying a 3DS. The retail situation for quality titles outside of Nintendo games is dire.

Nintendo and Atlus.

i regret buying a playstation tv. i got it to play mgs and it doesnt play that or over 50% of vita games. NEVER BUY A PLAYSTATION TV

I'm actually thinking of buying one this week.

Nah i don't think that will ever happen. Xenoblade was a completely different case.

It''s absolutely going to happen, as it tends to occur with almost every Nintendo first-party game. It'll take longer to reach that price than Xenoblade Chronicles did, however.

Mind you, this is in reference to a physical copy. Digital copies aren't going to hit $80, obviously.

brett2

The Wii U third party output has been without a doubt disastrous. For me though Nintendo's first party lineup has already surpassed the N64, Gamecube and Wii and is only behind the NES and SNES as Nintendo's best first party library. Even if the Wii U drops dead in 2016 I don't regret buying one at all and I plan on catching up on games I have missed for years to come.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
The Wii U third party output has been without a doubt disastrous. For me though Nintendo's first party lineup has already surpassed the N64, Gamecube and Wii and is only behind the NES and SNES as Nintendo's best first party library. Even if the Wii U drops dead in 2016 I don't regret buying one at all and I plan on catching up on games I have missed for years to come.

I vehemently disagree with that statement. The Nintendo 64 and Super Nintendo first-party line up had a better diverse line-up with a controller and graphical prowess that wowed me at the time. Those were the two zenith's of Nintendo hardware and software design output.

I can't say I will ever love the GamePad or the Wii U GUI/OS/system features; but I can say Nintendo still has an opportunity to deliver a balanced quality first-party line up but they still need to release some more games to qualify that notion.

brett2

I vehemently disagree with that statement. The Nintendo 64 and Super Nintendo first-party line up had a better diverse line-up with a controller and graphical prowess that wowed me at the time. Those were the two zenith's of Nintendo hardware and software design output.

I can't say I will ever love the GamePad or the Wii U GUI/OS/system features; but I can say Nintendo still has an opportunity to deliver a balanced quality first-party line up but they still need to release some more games to qualify that notion.

Well it is an opinion after all :) Mario 64 blew me away at the time too but I would hardly call the N64 a system with a diverse game lineup. N64 also suffers in my mind because that early 3d era has aged poorly even though it was incredible at the time. And you are obviously too young to have experienced the NES at its prime if you leave it off of your peak Nintendo years.

KHlover

Banned
Not in the least. Got Bayonetta 1&2, Smash, Mario Kart, Wind Waker HD, Mario Bros. U and World, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate out of it, still have Xenoblade X, Splatoon, Star Fox and Zelda coming. Who knows what gets announced for 2016. Completely satisfied with my purchase.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Well it is an opinion after all :) Mario 64 blew me away at the time too but I would hardly call the N64 a system with a diverse game lineup. N64 also suffers in my mind because that early 3d era has aged poorly even though it was incredible at the time. And you are obviously too young to have experienced the NES at its prime if you leave it off of your peak Nintendo years.

I was definitely there during the NES, I loved games like Metroid, Kid Icarus, and Zelda 2. But the truth is Nintendo was just evolving from the basic arcade and game&watch software for much of the Famicom / NES era. The SNES is when games like F-Zero, Pilotwings, Fire Emblem 4/5, Zelda 3, Super Metroid, and Yoshi's Island were representative of more sophisticated, ambitious and polished works.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I too was considering getting the PSTV, mainly for development purposes, but I just couldn't stomach the memory card prices - the moment I looked at those, and realized the device is cheaper than its 32GB card, that moment the full grotesqueness of the situation struck me.

ktynn

Banned
I don't regret buyin my Wii U but i must say it has been gathering dust for a while since i'm hooked on Monster Hunter 4, Bloodborne and Mortal Kombat X.

I also enjoy CS:GO on my pc... so not a lot of time or reasons left to boot that Wii U :-/ Waiting for Xenoblade, Zelda & Fire Emblem x SMT.

Top Bottom