• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else regret buying a Wii u?

Vena

You mention remaster quite a few times, pitting Wii Sports Club and The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, against The Last of Us and God of War 3 is an even number of remasters.

I don't pit them, I ignore them all equally. And they still don't say anything about SCE's output other than that, out side of two games, their best output is their old output... that's not something I'd want to hold up as a good indication. They are safe, cheap rehashes to fluff up a library, whether that be the WiiU's, the PS4's, or the X1's.

Really, in a nominal situaiton, I'd ignore the more recent re-releases (WSC, GoW3, TLOUR) far harder than I'd ignore a decade old remaster(s).

those with Wii U's - how does the experience stack up against what I'm used to with Xbox/PS?

For instance: Friends list, party chat w/headset, online play, any sort of achievement system?

Pretty sure there is zero in the way of achievements (dealbreaker for me mostly) but I do remember some things you could get on the Wii that were sort of medals or trophies in Metroid Prime 3.

I actually enjoy how simple everything is, I own pretty much every system and I love to play on my Wii U because I just put the game in the tray and forget about everything.

And the only thing I care is that online play works, and it works great for Smash and Mario Kart 8.

The Wii U is the system that I easily play the most these days, so many awesome games that you can't get anywhere else.

I've always been of the opinion that yes, Nintendo's lack of third party games sucks and I could never ONLY have a Wii U, but Nintendo systems have always been awesome secondary consoles.

Can't really argue with the Wii U's lack of third party support, it seriously needs that. But indeed, usually PlayStation systems have been my ideal third party fix whereas I mainly grab the first party line-up for my Nintendo system, though I do enjoy some of PlayStation first party franchises. I do plan to buy a PS4 some time in the future for games like Street Fighter V, DMC4: SE, Batman: Arkham Knight, Kingdom Hearts III and Tekken 7. I currently have 3 titles that I have either won, got for free or got via cross-buying in DmC: DE, Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare, and Dead or Alive 5: Last Round (in that I bought DOA5U in pieces).

MickeyPhree

I had a Wii u for close to seven months and came to realize I'm just not into Nintendo games anymore. Let my daughter keep the system at her moms house.

I don't own one but I don't really feel the urge to buy one. I can play one whenever i want as my brother owns one but not much really interest me on it. Mario Kart and Smash Bros are only fun with local play and very few of the other exclusives interest me. I also think the gamepad is shit

I think my favorite thing about the console is the menu music lol

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I don't pit them, I ignore them all equally. And they still don't say anything about SCE's output other than that, out side of two games, their best output is their old output... that's not something I'd want to hold up as a good indication. They are safe, cheap rehashes to fluff up a library, whether that be the WiiU's, the PS4's, or the X1's.

Really, in a nominal situaiton, I'd ignore the more recent re-releases (WSC, GoW3, TLOUR) far harder than I'd ignore a decade old remaster(s).

I'm still a Nintendo fan at core, I think that EAD and Team Sakamoto are like god tier developers. My recurring qualm is what cycle of intellectual properties or franchises the upper executives green-light per generation or period of time. I'm not particularly thrilled with the over abundance of fluffy platformers and mini-game collections. Shoot, I almost got a Zelda and Star Fox this Fall from EAD, which would have been a big game changer for me.

But discussing SCE releases on the PS4. Truth is their bigger studios have not released their games yet. We don't have any Naughty Dog, SCE Santa Monica, Insomniac, or Polyphony Digital games yet. I'm still quite happy with their releases at this point, Bloodborne, Infamous: Second Son, Infamous: First Light, and Helldivers are really what's on my playlist right now.

Justinh

even though I rarely, rarely play it I 'd say no. I don't regret it.

Yeah, I try to buy nintendo games not too late after launch as not to be doomed to paying a premium for them. I'm hoping I can find Pikmin 3 for a good price soon.

Monocle

No way, the games are great and actually worth full price, generally. But you can find things on sale. I got Zombie U for around $10, and $20 - 30 off other stuff last Black Friday.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
It's by far the least used console I've owned, and yet it won't even read original Wii games, even in Wii mode. It's very frustrating and seems poorly built.

Epcott

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

An later Zelda release pushes me to no, but next months Splatoon release nudges me to yes.

Price has nothing to do with it, rather the lack of content (and gaps between) is the main issue.

Vena

I'm still a Nintendo fan at core, I think that EAD and Team Sakamoto are like god tier developers. My recurring qualm is what cycle of intellectual properties or franchises the upper executives green-light per generation or period of time. I'm not particularly thrilled with the over abundance of fluffy platformers and mini-game collections. Shoot, I almost got a Zelda and Star Fox this Fall from EAD, which would have been a big game changer for me.

This is perfectly fine, no one said you have to like fluffy platformers. :p Though I don't know if I'd say that outside of Kibry and 3DWorld/NSMU, we have all that much in the way of "fluffy". DKTF (and NSMLB) is a brutal speedrunning game more than it is a fluffy platformer but a platformer it is, and there is a definite over-abundance of them on the system (though it seems there's none on the horizon or in development at this point anymore).

Where I put the strength of the WiiU is in the experimental nature of a lot of its titles that were greenlight very much against the "safe bet" mind set in an attempt to attract the core audiences back to the system after the Wii. I can't think of any other system or situation which would have provided me with the silly-joy that was W101 or that would have bailed out a wallet-burning project like Bayo2. That's supplemented by the ever-strong output of EAD's internals. This experimental nature seems to be continuing with Splat, #FE, the Robos, etc.

Who even knows what we'll get from Miyamoto and StarFox.

But discussing SCE releases on the PS4. Truth is their bigger studios have not released their games yet. We don't have any Naughty Dog, SCE Santa Monica, Insomniac, or Polyphony Digital games yet. I'm still quite happy with their releases at this point, Bloodborne, Infamous: Second Son, Infamous: First Light, and Helldivers are really what's on my playlist right now.

No one said you had to be unhappy or that you had to justify them, lol. But as you say that, so too could someone point at a bunch of Nintendo's own internals not having put out anything in a while. :p In as of so far, Infamous is the only game that SCE has actually made, BB is a FROM staple through and through in both the good and bad (awful coding).

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

An later Zelda release pushes me to no, but next months Splatoon release nudges me to yes.

Price has nothing to do with it, rather the lack of content (and gaps between) is the main issue.

Tbh I dont like platformers or shooters, I like rpgs and strategy games ( horror too) but I've never had trouble of finding stuff to play on the WIi U.

I think people just glaze over content when it comes to what they buy. Or they dont like Japanese games.

My PS4 is basically an indie gaming machine right now and I only use them to play with friends. My PC plays a bunch of simulators and games Im emulating and thats it. My Xbox is for 5 exclusives and it barely gets any use. Hell I think I play more with my PS3 and 360 than I do their successors lol.

My handhelds and Wii U get the most use in my house.

It's by far the least used console I've owned, and yet it won't even read original Wii games, even in Wii mode. It's very frustrating and seems poorly built.
Err what?

What are you talking about dude?

Its completely backwards compatible, its a well put together machine anyway. It had its shares of launch woes though lmao. Probably one of the reasons it never found a mass market audience

those with Wii U's - how does the experience stack up against what I'm used to with Xbox/PS?

For instance: Friends list, party chat w/headset, online play, any sort of achievement system?

Pretty sure there is zero in the way of achievements (dealbreaker for me mostly) but I do remember some things you could get on the Wii that were sort of medals or trophies in Metroid Prime 3.
Game by Game basis rather than system wide basically.For everything(voice chat,achievements ect) (Friends list has join game features for some games(Mario Kart 8), not for others.). Account system management is restricted to only one system at a time so if you want to use the same account on another system without doing a transfer you have to call nintendo to associate/disassociate your account with a particular device remotely( something you'd never really do unless the system gets stolen ). Other than that its mostly the same.

You can play movies on the Wii U?

And no, I don't regret the purchase. The Wii U is amazing.
Through homebrew(for Blu-rays/DVD's) or amazon video/hulu/netflix yeah.

Yeah, but if you sell them you either don't lose that much or actually make a profit, especially with the limited edition bundles.

Dont know why people dont do this, Nintendo's made me so much money over the years its hilarious

Every console.

Gamecube and up. So, barely 3. You missed out on the good ones. NES, SNES, N64.

Gamecube > n64.

Unless you REALLY like Mario and Zelda.

And Starfox.

And Rare.

But shit man the gaps were terrible and it has a really small library.

Hell I'd say the Wii U > N64 for me.

Yeah, don't get me started on the price. It's pretty high for the actual hardware in the box (+$80 for ext HD & Y cable, +$50 for wired ethernet adapter, +$50 for pro controller, etc.) Nintendo not subsidizing these expenses in a monthly online services really shows in the upfront cost.

But I still feel like I get more value and potential replayability out of 1st & 2nd party WiiU games than I usually do out of most games on other consoles (including PC in a lot of cases).

You have to buy a hard drive for the PS4/Xbone too.430 GBS is nowhere near enough for a gaming console collection where AAA games are coming at 50+gbs out the box to install. An ethernet adapter doesnt even cost that much either. Pro Controller isnt necessary either tbh and an extra PS4 controller is even more expensive than the Pro-controller ( with extra touchpads draining the battery life unnecessarily)

The Wii U's expensive to make and not as powerful as the PS4 and X1 but nintendo overall still gives you more in the package they're selling. The Wii U's future isnt something a lot of people feel comfortable investing in however. No skin off my back though, glad I got in early to see its full lifespan (4-5 years) through.

MickeyPhree

You have to buy a hard drive for the PS4/Xbone too.430 GBS is nowhere near enough for a gaming console collection where AAA games are coming at 50+gbs out the box to install. An ethernet adapter doesnt even cost that much either. Pro Controller isnt necessary either tbh and an extra PS4 controller is even more expensive than the Pro-controller ( with extra touchpads draining the battery life unnecessarily)

The Wii U's expensive to make and not as powerful as the PS4 and X1 but nintendo overall still gives you more in the package they're selling. The Wii U's future isnt something a lot of people feel comfortable investing in however. No skin off my back though, glad I got in early to see its full lifespan (4-5 years) through.

If you buy all games ohysical, there really isn't a reason to upgrade the ps4 hdd.

Shady859

Overall nope, I regretted buying it as early as I did. Sold it and then rebought it last black friday having fun with it. You should understand going in that there aren't going to be a lot of games and long waits between big releases. It's an awesome second console though.
I know i'll end up getting the next Nintendo console but I see it being very late in the cycle.

Chitown B

Gamecube > n64.

Unless you REALLY like Mario and Zelda.

And Starfox.

And Rare.

But shit man the gaps were terrible and it has a really small library.

Hell I'd say the Wii U > N64 for me.

I used to really like Mario when I played N64. And love Zelda. And Goldeneye, Blast Corps, Kart 64, Turok, Rogue Squadron, Shadows of the Empire, Banjo, Conker, Paper Mario, Ogre Battle, SF Rush, Perfect Dark.......etc.

The gaps for Wii U so far have been insane. It has been out for 2.5 years so far, yet the true good exclusives are few.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_Nintendo_64_games

Sort by US release date from launch to about Feb 1999 for comparison. Most of those are exclusives.

Wait...what? You returned smash because of poor controls/online? The online functions well if your connection doesn't suck, and the controls have been the same for almost 15 years (for good reason).

I used to really like Mario when I played N64. And love Zelda. And Goldeneye, Blast Corps, Kart 64, Turok, Rogue Squadron, Shadows of the Empire, Banjo, Conker, Paper Mario, Ogre Battle, SF Rush, Perfect Dark.......etc.

The gaps for Wii U so far have been insane. It has been out for 2.5 years so far, yet the true good exclusives are few.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_Nintendo_64_games

Sort by US release date from launch to about Feb 1999 for comparison. Most of those are exclusives.

Uh what? You're talking crazy man the Wii U has loads of good exclusives. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_software

Honestly the only thing I really want out of it now is some more horror and strategy games. Its nice to see some indies are tackling that right now. Maaaybe another platinum game.

It'd also be nice if nintendo remastered Fire emblem path of radiance and radiant dawn, baten kaitos 1+2 and more of the fatal frame games but imo thats all I want besides whatever is Retro and Level 5's next games ( and the few other teams on nintendo's cycle that still need to get one more game out before we move on to their next platform in 2017/2018.

BTW have you seen Xenoblade Chronicles X? Shit is cash. You may like Splatoon as well, I wasnt really sold based off the artstyle until I played it, game is really smooth and tight, framerate is ridiculously fluid too. The controls were super quick to pick up as well with the gryo wrist aiming and all. The tactical depth and high level play in that game is gonna be absurd cant wait. Devil's Third should be rad too, Itagaki's channeling and building on the awesome perspective shift style gameplay tecmo was trying to do with metroid but making it more involved with traversal and split second combat decisions. Fatal Frame 5 is being localized too. Indies are doing interesting things on the platform too. Same with the PS4 they got me covered for both of my systems (which honestly I wouldnt have as much to play without them, I'd have like maybe 5-6 PS4 games at this point and thats it.) The rest I play on PC lol.

There's a lot to look forward to next year as well, Zelda's coming after all. Bet Xenoblade X's ambition pushed them to try even harder.

Chitown B

Uh what? You're talking crazy man the Wii U has loads of good exclusives. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_U_software

Looking at only the Green games on that list (exclusives), the first one I find that is heralded is Pikmin 3, which came out nearly a year after launch.

I don't know man, I've heard about the same 8 games repeated over and over here. Pikmin, Mariokart, Smash, DK, 101, Wind Waker remake, Mario 3d World, Bayonetta 2. That's pretty much it. No one likes Mario Bros U, so I'll leave that off.

Splatoon looks fun if online chat works and my friends had it too. I love Zelda. I've never played a Xenoblade game so I don't have excitement for it, but I'll check out reviews. Fire Emblem never really interested me. I don't think grids look like fun.

Looking at only the Green games on that list (exclusives), the first one I find that is heralded is Pikmin 3, which came out nearly a year after launch.

I don't know man, I've heard about the same 8 games repeated over and over here. Pikmin, Mariokart, Smash, DK, 101, Wind Waker remake, Mario 3d World, Bayonetta 2. That's pretty much it. No one likes Mario Bros U, so I'll leave that off.

Mario Bros U is actually the best 2D mario game you might play that isnt from the 80's lol. The people who dislike it are just tired of the aesthetic. And to be honest there are some multiplats that are actually better experienced on the Wii U as well. Like Deus Ex Human Revolution ( only other version you should actually consider is the regular version of deus ex on PC with the dlc because the directors cut is kinda buggy on it as it was a late port lol. 60fps or more gameplay options and neat little things you can do like leave audio recordings on the levels in places along with doing more integrated hacking,whatnot.)

Neogaf is not really a great place to go to if you want a wide range of opinion. This place is kinda cliqueish, so you got people who kind of operate in groups and like what they like and stick with it. The niche people especially so. I tend to play everything, even the stuff Im really not into ( platformers and shooters, which is basically the bread and butter of the masses, whether its the 80s or the modern day era lmao)
The 3DS has a shitload of games but I only see them suggest mostly the same stuff with a few stragglers here and there that show a bit of their individuality but its mostly the same.

Me? I tend to make extremely comprehensive lists. Dont ask me for my 3DS or wii games list because you probably dont have time to look at 120 games in 12 different genres lol.

I had 150 wii games btw. That platform was the last wisp of midtier development. Got a lot out of it. Oh and have you looked at the virutal console? Wii + wii U vc has a lot to offer

catmario

Even though I didn't buy wiiu yet, but If I bought wiiu early, I would regret that.

But right now, as I have a bunch of free games like DKC,W101, for me, this is perfect timing to buy Wii U. :)

Chitown B

Mario Bros U is actually the best 2D mario game you might play that isnt from the 80's lol. The people who dislike it are just tired of the aesthetic. And to be honest there are some multiplats that are actually better experienced on the Wii U as well. Like Deus Ex Human Revolution ( only other version you should actually consider is the regular version of deus ex on PC with the dlc because the directors cut is kinda buggy on it as it was a late port lol. 60fps or more gameplay options and neat little things you can do like leave audio recordings on the levels in places along with doing more integrated hacking,whatnot.)

Neogaf is not really a great place to go to if you want a wide range of opinion. This place is kinda cliqueish, so you got people who kind of operate in groups and like what they like and stick with it. The niche people especially so. I tend to play everything, even the stuff Im really not into ( platformers and shooters, which is basically the bread and butter of the masses, whether its the 80s or the modern day era lmao)
The 3DS has a shitload of games but I only see them suggest mostly the same stuff with a few stragglers here and there that show a bit of their individuality but its mostly the same.

Me? I tend to make extremely comprehensive lists. Dont ask me for my 3DS or wii games list because you probably dont have time to look at 120 games in 12 different genres lol.

I had 150 wii games btw. That platform was the last wisp of midtier development. Got a lot out of it. Oh and have you looked at the virutal console? Wii + wii U vc has a lot to offer

Yeah I don't buy that Mario U is the best. NSMB was the best, on DS. However I may be confusing it with NSMB2 which was not good.

I've been here a long time, I don't need tips on how it works... ;)

People in this thread are most likely looking for reasons why to buy to or not buy solely based on exclusives, since most would have some other system as well which actually have all the other games.

VC needs more SNES.

Belldandy

Banned
I regret it. I don't know what I was expecting. Somehow I keep thinking new Nintendo consoles will end up like the Gamecube, but with no third party support and weak hardware, well.... it all amount to how much you really enjoy Nintendo franchises.

I am hopefully optimistic about Fatal Frame though.

I feel Smash and Mario Kart are ultimately shallow, empty experiences. Would rather play Captain Toad.

Yeah I don't buy that Mario U is the best. NSMB was the best, on DS.
Actually, I was kind of surprised by your claim too. The general consensus I've heard is that NSMBU has some of the best platforming in the whole series, just that the aesthetic is getting tired.

I don't care for platformers myself so I have no opinion, but that is what I have heard more than anything else about the game.

Links_fantasy

I don't mind the "Nintendo tax" as gamers thanks to Steam and other services expect to buy full triple A games for $5 or less on a sale. With so many studio closures games dropping in price so quick after launch isn't healthy long term for the industry. Plus most Nintendo games are very polished and have the full experience out of the box, with any DLC being highly optional.

Astral Dog

There's nothing wrong with thinking that way, but it blows my mind to see anyone say it anyways.

Smash 4 and MK8 are the fucking amazing.

Not Smash, but i would call MK8 "Shallow", played it for hours, but it feels like the item system is broken, terrible items on the first places that make it too boring, a bit of luck needed, so it becomes a frustrating experience, multiplayer is better, but gets boring after awhile.

Really, the gameplay consists of memorizing the stage and using items, its far too simple.
i know that sounds stupid,

Namikaze

Nope, I love the Wii U. Bayo 2 and W101 are two of my favorite games of the generation so far. If you told me those were the only two Wii U games coming out, I'd still buy the system, lol. Hours upon hours of content and mastering combat. Smash, MK8, DK etc. are also nice and provide a nice contrast to the experiences I have on Playstation consoles.

In the future I'll be buying Xenoblade, SMTxFE, Zelda, Fatal Frame and Splatoon. My purchase has easily been justified.

Top Bottom