• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else underwhelmed by Halo 5's visuals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Looks really flat to me too, compared to other fps graphics we have already.

Conduit

Banned
According to recent framerate tests it dropped only in one section. The rest of the demo was locked.

Considering that was most likely an old build, I'd say the game is going to be locked

3 sections. As i said, they go into right direction.

Wasn't the most recent Digital Foundry Halo 5 video almost completely locked, minus like a weird loading screen on an elevator or something? Maybe I'm misremembering. I'll try to find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhwuIWws4NM - this one I think.

You wrote "locked" at first. It's very stable, but not "locked"

The Gamescom SP demo was locked at 60 besides cutscenes.

Nope!

EBE

Not really but we're about 36.6% of the way through this gen so even if you're disappointed Halo 6 should look amazing.

Glass

Yeah, this game looks really good running at 60fps. Doubt anyone else could get much more out of the console.

ShamePain

Banned
Even if KZ doesn't qualify, there's still games like Metro Redux, which runs at 60fps, is a lastgen port and it looks like this:
metro_redux_11.jpg

metro_2014_08_26_22_29qqgi.png

JeanPi

Banned
I think they made the right choice. Playing gears ultimate and going from 30 fps sibgle player to 60 fps multi feels weird.

RoKKeR

3 sections. As i said, they go into right direction.

You wrote "locked" at first. It's very stable, but not "locked"

Nope!

Right. So there was 1 small dip during a fight and then the weird dip in the elevator... for a game at the time 3 or 4 months from launch I would expected it to be locked.

Banned
If you stick your dick in a circle, are you fucking around?

What does that have to do with anything? Nothing. Just like comparing killzone to Halo. One aims for 30fps giving it much more leftover horse power for image quality. The other is going for super fast and responsive 60fps on a weaker console, meaning it was always going to be a challenge to make it look as great as a 30fps game.

I'm liking halo 5's graphics so far.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It's been underwhelming since the beta and it doesn't seem like the graphics have improved much since then if at all.

The game doesn't really look "next-gen", it looks like a beefed up Halo 4.

no and you also skipped this image

fg5Tt2X.jpg

Elites visuals are a great improvement compared to 4's

Is that supposed to look good?

Sure, screenshots don't look as immediately impressive as screenshots for some other next-gen FPS games. When I see it moving at 60fps, however, I know it's foolish to give that feeling much weight when I'm going to be controlling and watching it move consistently and as glossy smooth as it does. It's similar to MGS V GZ & TPP, where it looks clean and stylized, yet more understated in stills, but you know it also blows up big on the impressions scale when it's in motion. Halo never exactly looked mindblowing in stills for previous installments, anyway, and neither has any CoD. But they look fantastic in motion and, if having less than bleeding edge-gorgeous visuals on paused images and cherry-picked .gif loops is the price, I'll take a focus on performance every single day.

Mindlog

I would much rather have 60 FPS. Screenshots > Screenshot
Most of the 'visually stunning' games this gen have been 'visually stunning' and little else.

HTupolev

Kill zone was only 30fps? I thought 60fps.
Unlocked, KZSF's campaign mostly stumbles about the mid-30s, with occasional lurches higher if you do things like look at the sky. Looks and feels extremely juddery, hence them later patching in an optional 30fps cap (which makes for a near-perfect lock). Under many devs it would have shipped as a 30fps game.

Even the MP, which has significantly inferior image quality, doesn't hold 60fps particularly well in large matches.

I think it looks fine, but everything ive seen seems like they took the inside of ships chopped it into little bits and plastered it back together. Thats all the maps seem like so far which is whats making me feel underwhelmed .

G0UJ3N

Neo Member
Ain't all these Screenshots and Gameplay Video's off Previous Build's from Month's Ago? Come closer to Launch they might polish the game up a little more.

cireza

It was the same back then when Halo 3 was unveiled, and in the end the game was fantastic and very smooth. But you can't see this on pictures.

ShamePain

Banned
Yes, but Halo 5 is supposed to have huge levels with lots of AI and vehicles running around.

Still one is a port of a last generation game, one is built for this gen. And yet some of the tech 4A squeezed onto ps360 is years beyond what Halo 5, namely dynamic and volumetric lighting, dynamic weather, tessellation, etc.

PnCIa

60 FPS has a high price to pay on those low/mindend-Laptop-esque consoles. Yes it does look kinda meh, but at least they seem to focus on stable 60 i pressume.
We will see about the final resolution, but i doubt that the game will be 1080 most of the time.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
How does it not look good?

Would you say that looks significantly better than this?

qrsP74j.jpg

[edit]

Compare that Halo 4 screenshot with this one from the OP.

LZSU6hZ.jpg

I wouldn't say Halo 5 looks bad but it looks too much like a 360 game in my eyes to be considered good.

sirap

Yes, the newest batch of screenshots do look underwhelming. I have faith that it will look better in motion, but it's never going to look as good as 30fps shooters if they're going to stick with 60fps.

Gabe3208

Banned
What does it matter so as long as the gameplay is solid and highly enjoyable. So sick and tired of ppl ripping on game because of visuals. Just play and enjoy the game! PLAY AND ENJOY THE GAME!!!!! :)

Percy

Banned
Yeah, pretty much, but if that's the price being paid for 60fps it's hard to fault the decision tbh.

What does it matter so as long as the gameplay is solid and highly enjoyable. So sick and tired of ppl ripping on game because of visuals. Just play and enjoy the game! PLAY AND ENJOY THE GAME!!!!! :)

It's a thread specifically about the game's visuals.

Troy

Banned
In stills it looks OK. On Youtube in 60fps, it looks great and makes me wish Destiny was in 60fps. Unfortunately Halo 5 now exists in a world that has Destiny in it, so for me personally I'm not all that interested anymore in shooters that aren't shared-world. I would be surprised if after the hundreds of hours Phil Spencer has put into Destiny he doesn't feel the same way.

Senoculum

Really ?

gutDnfX.jpg

Vs.

X1OaPib.jpg

If you told me that was from the same game, I'd believe it. It's one unflattering photo of gameplay while the other is a clean interior set. Not a leap at all.

What's missing in Halo 5's maps are dramatic lights and shadows. Everything is pretty flat and with very little style

I think it looks great for a locked 60fps.

These shots from Killzone while look great but they highlight my main issue with the game visually, it's very poly starved... Halo 5 seems to have much more going on that department. But yeah, lightning, shadowing and post processes are probably going to suffer most by going 60fps.

Lingitiz

60 FPS, large environments, 4 player co-op...if they traded impressive visuals for gameplay improvements it's all good to me.

darthbob

Ehhhh, it looks too much like Halo 4 for me to think of it as a big leap. Shooting for 60FPS was a bit of a gamble, but I'm not sure how much better the game would look even at 30 so I'm okay with it.

Just wish that 343i's art style wasn't so... shiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom