• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else underwhelmed by Halo 5's visuals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shadow Fall looked great, but nothing could make up for how tired and dull the gameplay was. I'm not a fan of Halo either, but it's miles better in that regard. It's not amazing looking no, but if you are into that franchise I'm sure it will be more than acceptable.

Waaghals

The game is pretty, which is the most important thing, but it does have some weak textures and obvious trade offs due to targeting 60hz.

It is a large improvement over H4, but not quite as large at we probably expected.
Hope the levels are bigger and more open ended than H4.

thetwinsattack

Neo Member
Would you say that looks significantly better than this?

qrsP74j.jpg

[edit]

Compare that Halo 4 screenshot with this one from the OP.

LZSU6hZ.jpg

I wouldn't say Halo 5 looks bad but it looks too much like a 360 game in my eyes to be considered good.

Halo 4 was an exceptional looking game from a console at the end of it's life. MCC only confirms how good it looks (particually in stills).

I wouldn't say any game this gen looks signifcantly better than Halo 4 but that is the nature of the business. From what I've seen Halo 5 looks to improve on 4 in all the ways I would expect and I'm really excited to play it.

M52B28

Banned
I think the game looks okay, but the problem isn't the graphics, it is the art direction. Everything seems to have a bright tint cast onto it. Considering the game has taken a major change in art style, I'd pin it on that.

Take this Halo Reach screen into consideration.

halo__reach_12644754005669.jpg

(Reach looks like garbage.)

Radically different art style. I think the game needs a tad bit more of earthy colors put into the mix to add some proper contrast.

The problem that I have with this image is the lighting from the weapon. The game doesn't look horrible, but something about the shaders looks off, and don't forget the art direction.

PSYGN

Looks slightly cel-shaded, but probably due to the shadows in all the insets and the lighting. I think it looks good but not jaw-dropping.

Wasp

Clearly it's running on the Halo 4 engine, they were never going to use that engine for just one game.

My expectations for Halo 5 were always just like Halo 4 but at 1080p/60fps.

Do we know what res the final game will run at? Halo 4 on MCC was 1080p/60fps so I would expect the same with this game too.

Would you say that looks significantly better than this?

qrsP74j.jpg

If you're talking about art style then yes they look exactly the same, if it's lighting then halo 5 trumps it in that regard

halo 5

LZSU6hZ.jpg

halo 4

halo4001.jpg

Yep there's definitely improvements compared to last gen

This is pretty much the first halo sequel game where the art style has not changed from it's predecessor.

At least 343 is being consistent compared to Bungie.

tuxfool

Banned
I think those screenshots look great for a game that is running at 60fps on a console.

However, I don't think the game will really look like those screenshots. I just don't think the game will have the same IQ as displayed here.

Is halo 5 going to be 1080?

343 Haven't decided on a resolution yet I don't think, currently they still seem to be using a dynamic resolution which scales when more strain is put on the engine to maintain 60FPS.

At E3 the campaign could go as low as 1152x810 according to digital foundry, but that's an older build & no doubt it will be closer to, if not a full 1080 resolution at launch with optimization.... I hope. Multiplayer definitely should be.

As for the topic, I'm not underwhelmed by the visuals, certainly not blown away though.

Jonm1010

Banned
Frankly Halo has never impressed me much visually for some reason. Despite knowing that past games have been technically impressive and such.

Still, I just never really find myself going "wow" during Halo campaigns. The way I do with other visually good looking games.

If your talking about art style then yes they look exactly the same, if it's lighting then halo 5 trumps it in that regard

halo 5

LZSU6hZ.jpg

halo 4

halo4001.jpg

This is pretty much the first halo sequel game where the art style has not changed from it's predecessor.

at least 343 is being consistent compared to Bungie

Hurrmmm looks like the same game..Halo 5 can easily be mistaken for Halo4. Unfortunately for 343 H4 MCC is 1080P/60 something that H5 probably won't be able to reach...

AlStrong

The problem that I have with this image is the lighting from the weapon. The game doesn't look horrible, but something about the shaders looks off, and don't forget the art direction.

The light goes through the body (lack of self-shadowing).

Blobbers

I think it looks decent. Keep in mind this is an XBox One game that's striving for 60FPS. Sacrifices will be made.

Also, while Killzone was 60FPS in multiplayer it had to mess with the resolution to maintain the framerate, while Halo 5 is Full HD 1080p throughout.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I think it looks pretty sharp.

And Halo is 60FPS, Jolliness is all over the place.

60 fps, baby.

It's probably not a graphical stunner, but it'll play oh so sweet.

But no Local Multiplayer / Splitscreen still makes me mad :(

Head.spawn

If there is one thing I've learned from reading gaf, it's that there is a massive difference between 720p and 1080p... unless it's an Xbox One game, in which case is just a slight upgrade.

Yeah, I am a bit.

But its still notable the improvements in graphics, especially in that sandy outdoor level on Saghelios.

Hurrmmm looks like the same game..Halo 5 can easily be mistaken for Halo4. Unfortunately for 343 H4 MCC is 1080P/60 something that H5 probably won't be able to reach...

This is bait.

Vinc

If there is one thing I've learned from reading gaf, it's that there is a massive difference between 720p and 1080p... unless it's an Xbox One game, in which case is just a slight upgrade.

I have no idea where you see that stuff. I never saw anyone say that on here, at least not a single poster saying 1080p is massively different from 720p, then saying 720 to 1080 is a minimal difference on Xbox One.

thetwinsattack

Neo Member
60 fps, baby.

While you are active - thanks again for Ori :)

I just think there is too much focus on some screens, a game moves, it has sound, it has animations, scripting, all of that counts for so so so much,

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
If your talking about art style then yes they look exactly the same, if it's lighting then halo 5 trumps it in that regard

halo 5

[IM]http://i.imgur.com/LZSU6hZ.jpg[/IMG]

halo 4

[IM]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2012/11/halo4001.jpg[/IMG]

at least 343 is being consistent compared to Bungie

Of course the game is going to have improvments over a game that came out in 2012 and on another system. I don't believe it's a significant improvement especially compared to other current gen games.

The biggest difference between those two screenshots is that there's more lighting on the chief but the rest looks extremely similar.

And it's not like Halo 4 had comparably bad lighting to 5's.

LCHf5tH.jpg

Rbjap12.jpg

rv6lZHl.jpg

ShamePain

Banned
If you're talking about art style then yes they look exactly the same, if it's lighting then halo 5 trumps it in that regard

halo 5

LZSU6hZ.jpg

halo 4

halo4001.jpg

Not really. Halo 4 has at least some shadows going on while Halo 5 has none at all. Chief's model looks like a minor upgrade, not unlike some remasters we've seen.

I think it looks pretty sharp.

And Halo is 60FPS, Jolliness is all over the place.

Halo 4 is 1080P/60Fps right now and looks close to identical to want has been shown of Halo 5. So there's really nothing to be excited about given what we have been shown so far.

Head.spawn

I have no idea where you see that stuff. I never saw anyone say that on here, at least not a single poster saying 1080p is massively different from 720p, then saying 720 to 1080 is a minimal difference on Xbox One.

Joking bro, joking. Forgot to throw in the smiley.

I like to exaggerate a bit.

Bsigg12

60 fps, baby.

Yea, hopefully them foregoing Splitscreen means the game runs fantastically through all situations. We will see.

Halo 4 is 1080P/60Fps right now and looks close to identical to want has been shown of Halo 5. So there's really nothing to be excited about given what we have been shown so far.

Identical? No. Similar because of the artstyle? Sure. 5 definitely looks cleaner and overall better than 4 even if the artsyle looks similar.

No, looks good to me. The best of what we've seen so far, came in the sizzle reel at the end of the E3 demo, which was over quite quickly.

Reallink

I think it looks decent. Keep in mind this is an XBox One game that's striving for 60FPS. Sacrifices will be made.

Also, while Killzone was 60FPS in multiplayer it had to mess with the resolution to maintain the framerate, while Halo 5 is Full HD 1080p throughout.

I got some bad news for you...

I wouldn't say they're most amazing graphics I've ever seen, but underwhelmed? No. Looks great to me.

Yeah, I wish they would change it up. I'd love for the games to take on a more Halo 1 when it comes to the architecture instead of what we have now but I know that will never happen. I just miss some flat surfaces. I hate that everything now has pipes and curves.

Caronte

halo 5

LZSU6hZ.jpg

halo 4

halo4001.jpg

The second picture looks better to me to be honest. I don't like the lighting in the pictures I've seen in this thread.

Framerate is 60 compared to 30 in Killzone.

Personaly, i never found Halo games to be graphical powerhouse's. It's all about gameplay in these games to me. Halo 4 did look nice at times though but other Halo's were kinda ugly in their art-style.

farisr

Honestly, it looks like what I'd expect a proper Halo 4 remaster (not the MCC version as that was a simple port) to look like rather than a game built entirely for current gen.

Anyways, aside from some moments in Halo 4, the Halo games have never really been visual marvels before (the artstyle made up for that somewhat). The skyboxes were the best part. The games got a pass for being that way due to having robust local multiplayer options. Judging from this topic, it seems like this gets a pass from some people due to being 60fps this time around. Personally for me, it doesn't.

pastrami

I don't think Halo 5 is 1080p...

Halo's visuals are just too damn clean looking.

That's what I love about Halo's graphics. Nice and clean looking. The games have never been stunners (barring maybe Halo 1), but I love their art style.

It's a locked 60fps game, so no, I think it looks just fine.

This doesn't seem like a productive discussion, especially when you start off with pictures of Killzone, a completely different game with different goals/scope.
Halo 5 is not a locked 60 fps game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
There's a lot of work gone into this, if it's got anything to worry about it's all this look with no payout.

Are they reusing Halo assets from Halo 4?

Frog-fu

Banned
It's buttery smooth 60FPS judging by the footage released thus far and looks great. The lighting makes all the difference.

You sure about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom