• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else worried that Persona 5's dub could be bad?

Yeah Funimation'd recent dubs, in particular their Broadcast dubs, have been pretty mediocre. Fortunately Atlas uses Bang Zoon!, which I think has been consistently good.

Taelus

So you watch foreign movies dubbed all the time? O_0 You simply don't need to understand the spoken language, with subs the two merge into one in your head.

Dubs for live action content are a lot different, because it's pretty much impossible sync the dialogue with the people's mouths, so that becomes distracting. Plus, it always sounds unnatural since the voices were recorded in a booth as opposed to on set. For live-action content I prefer subtitles, but for anime and games I prefer dubs.

vato_loco

Persona 4 Golden's dub was really great, some of the best I've seen, but it's by no means perfect. Teddy's voice is just cringeworthy and many lines of dialogue for other characters, particularly Rise, were too artificial.

Yukiko's laugh was goddamn perfect, though.

I'm not very concerned about the dub, Atlus is among the best in this, but I do resent the fact that they won't include the sub, considering there's not even lip-syncing issues.

E-flux

Dubs for live action content is lot different, because it's pretty much impossible sync the dialogue with the people's mouths, so that becomes distracting. Plus, it always sounds unnatural since the voices were recorded in a booth as opposed to on set. For live-action content I prefer subtitles, but for anime and games I prefer dubs.

Even in movies a lot of the older stuff like Spagetti westerns those were recorded in booth. Even the Good, bad, and the ugly was "dubbed" since most of the actors on screen just spoke their own language instead of english, Clint might have been speaking English and the other guy might have been Talking Italian or Spanish. I'm sure dubs like these still happen every now and then.

I'm not worried.

Also, this may be Morgana's English VA from thier E3 stage show (not confirmed):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUMGTPH5o1c

Now, this worries me: they're replacing the iconic voice of Morgana with something very flat. I'm not good with names from American actors and actresses but I can think of at least three persons that would make a better voice for Morgana (the voice of Ken Amada from the original P3/Laharl, the voice of Karol Capel from ToV, the voice of Damian Wayne from Batman's recent movies).

I'm not a big fan of some of the Japanese voices either, particularly Yusuke and Akechi's voices are horrible, but if Crispin Freeman is there as Yusuke I'd melt, Crispin Freeman is awesome.

Busaiku

Yeah Funimation'd recent dubs, in particular their Broadcast dubs, have been pretty mediocre. Fortunately Atlas uses Bang Zoon!, which I think has been consistently good.
Some of their best stuff were broadcast dubs.
Blood Blockade Battlefront, Death Parade, Space Dandy, My Hero Academia.

I'm not American, so for me I always try to play the game in their "original" language.
Yes, I've played all the Witcher games in polish and they were great.

I really enjoyed the disappearance of nagito yuki chan. I think that was a broadcast dub. Oh and Prison school, but people complain about that one all the time so i dunno

I am always worried that a dub will be bad, especially when the game will be dub only. Yeah P4 had a good dub, but its gotten progressively worse in each spin-off with actors leaving or getting too expensive for Atlus. Will P5 be a return to form, or will it be closer to the more recent offerings?

dan2026

If they just did dual audio like most companies, everyone would be happy.

And to be honest I find the people being dismissive and condescending to the guys who want the Japanese audio to be extremely rude and obnoxious.

If they just did dual audio like most companies, everyone would be happy.

And to be honest I find the people being dismissive and condescending to the guys who want the Japanese audio to be extremely rude and obnoxious.

Agreed, but Atlus has been so good with dubs in all of their games I've played that I have little or no reason to worry about the English dub.

I certainly wouldn't say no to an original Japanese / subbed option, however.

Kthulhu

So you watch foreign movies dubbed all the time? O_0 You simply don't need to understand the spoken language, with subs the two merge into one in your head.

You've obviously never tried to watch a comedy subbed. Plus there are plenty of shows/games where the dubbed version far exceeds the original voices.

Now, this worries me: they're replacing the iconic voice of Morgana with something very flat. I'm not good with names from American actors and actresses but I can think of at least three persons that would make a better voice for Morgana (the voice of Ken Amada from the original P3/Laharl, the voice of Karol Capel from ToV, the voice of Damian Wayne from Batman's recent movies).

I'm not a big fan of some of the Japanese voices either, particularly Yusuke and Akechi's voices are horrible, but if Crispin Freeman is there as Yusuke I'd melt, Crispin Freeman is awesome.

My guess is the E3 Morgana clip was recorded on the fly. At least that's what I hope.

Atlus uses PCB Productions for most of their dubs. They've used Cup of Tea on a few occasions where I guess PCB were booked or out of the budget range (Soul Hackers and Devil Survivor 2).

Bang Zoom mostly does the suuuuper niche RPGs like Atelier games and whatnot.

Lmao. Threads like this are hilarious. More fodder for the ignore list.

...Cool?

muteki

I've already ruined my experience with the english dub by spending considerable time with the Japanese release. But they do have their work cut out for them. I don't think it is a given that it would be good or not, but I'm going to wait and see.

Xenoflare

The funny thing is that was the same VA as Golden Chie.

Yes, in which honestly I wasn't a fan of either, chie is the weakest link in the dubs for me.

It's a shame because the same VA did an excellent job as Erica in Catherine, so this is more likely a direction issue.

Normally with Atlus I'm a bit worried, but this is their big title so I have some confidence.
Can't wait to hear the same voice actors they've been using for the last 10 years again.

Nachos

Any further news on the "possibility" of a sub track happening?
Nada.

Yeah, a lot of the games Bang Zoom does nowadays are just things like the Atelier series or Omega Quintet or whatever. A lot of their games now are kinda throwaway which is a shame. IIRC they did the (amazing) Gurren Lagann dub back when that came out, so it's a shame that lately they've just been treading water really.

I can't speak for their anime so much aside from Jojo, which was... Not good.
I saw a bunch of clips of Jojo's dub, and yeah, it seems like a bunch of wasted potential. The script adaptation is ridiculously good, but there's a ton of actors who just don't fit the characters they're playing. Ben Diskin gave a great performance as Joseph, but that doesn't change that his voice doesn't really fit that big ol' ox of a man.

Lunar15

Any further news on the "possibility" of a sub track happening?

None. I'd bet real money it will never happen, and slim possibility that it might is just the PR manager saying he'll ask. Very well intentioned, but it's really not something the company's going to do.

I think what people have failed to realize is that, while there's definitely *bad* dubs, most of them are pretty alright recently. It's just that we have more access to the japanese versions of trailers, releases, videos, etc, so we get used to the original actors and start hearing them out in our heads. Dubs then are dissonant, they don't sound like the voice we've heard the whole time, and we start comparing the two.

I've found that most of the time, if I go into a dub blind, it's usually fine and I don't really notice. With P3 and P4 I had never heard the original japanese voices until after I played the dubs and I thought they were worse than the english dubs.

It's just that we have more access to the japanese versions of trailers, releases, videos, etc, so we get used to the original actors and start hearing them out in our heads. Dubs then are dissonant, they don't sound like the voice we've heard the whole time, and we start comparing the two.

I've found that most of the time, if I go into a dub blind, it's usually fine and I don't really notice. With P3 and P4 I had never heard the original japanese voices until after I played the dubs and I thought they were worse than the english dubs.

Agreed - I'd like to think that because I haven't heard too much of any one character's Japanese VO, I have no preconceptions, and will enjoy the English cast more as a result.

My main worry is the fact that there is WAY more voice acting in this game than there was in P3and P4, so there's more chances for stuff to be iffy. The main cast and major characters will probably be fine, but I'm worried about minor social links. Then again those are voiced like P4 - voice clips, and full sentences during the first and last event of the link.

I'm also worried about adjusting to the voices, but I think 5 months is enough time to 'purge' my memory. That's usually the amount of time I take between watching an anime subbed and then dubbed. The main difference I guess is the length of time prior I was used to the Japanese voices.

Now if I were to watch a dubbed trailer this week, that would feel all kinds of weird.

Lmao. Threads like this are hilarious. More fodder for the ignore list.
?? and ?

Thanks for posting and leaving i guess

I can already think of 2 passages in the game that will be tricky for whoever is voicing morgana in that regard.

You've obviously never tried to watch a comedy subbed. Plus there are plenty of shows/games where the dubbed version far exceeds the original voices.
?? what does being a comedy have to do with anything. If you can follow a video subbed, you can follow a comedy subbed.
What does this have to do with the conversation ?

We don't turn the rest of our senses when we watch subs.

My main worry is the fact that there is WAY more voice acting in this game than there was in P3and P4, so there's more chances for stuff to be iffy. The main cast and major characters will probably be fine, but I'm worried about minor social links. Then again those are voiced like P4 - voice clips, and full sentences during the first and last event of the link.
P5 doesn't have THAT much more more voices than P4G.
It does have much more written text ( a lot more ). Plenty of scenes in P5 aren't voiced , except some grunts and generic lines for flavor.

As much as I loved the dub for P4 (and most of P3), Persona 5 has such a great Japanese voice cast that I can't help being disappointed and concerned that Atlus aren't even offering JP voices as paid DLC. I don't even care that I can barely understand what Morgana is saying, the tone of her voice is absolutely perfect and will be a nightmare to match.

syoaran

In this genre, Atlus is pretty much unbeaten in dub. Way better than other JRPG competitors.

Saying that, its a low bar. Would love to see a JPN audio track included, given that the recent Final Fantasys [14, World of & 15] all have these as downloadable DLC and it's very much appreciated.

brawly

I'm not worried (I watch 99% of anime subbed). I didn't really watch trailers, so I won't compare the english voices to the japanese, which will be to my benefit.

I wonder if Troy Baker will return,maybe they can't hire him because he is more famous now.

I'm sick of hearing Troy.

Astarte

Just give me dual audio and I won't make fun of the dub. Please. Just this once.
Please

I wonder if Troy Baker will return,maybe they can't hire him because he is more famous now.

They already have a good Troy Baker soundalike that's been voicing Kanji for a while now.

ImadKhan

I trust ATLUS with dubs. Persona 4 Golden was excellent and so was Catherine.

Weird, I guess I was one of the few that really did not like P4's dub. Maybe it's cause I studied Japanese in college, but the dub was kinda cringy. I mean, it's better than a lot of dubs out there, but I really hope P5 has a Japanese voice option with English subs.

More important than fighting over waifus is the battle between those who think Chie's Golden VO is some of the best in the game or some of the worst.

I'm the former.

It's nice to be on the right side of history ;)

TheWraith

You've obviously never tried to watch a comedy subbed.

Well no, I grew up watching subbed movies/TV. Dubbed comedies/ or other movies literally destroyed the movie in question, when we watched switched channels to French TV for example. Sub all the way, otherwise the original content of the creator is lost. You don't have to understand the language but the expression and emotion does come through when subs are there + decent translation.

The Space Dandy dub was so goooood, I ended up preferring it over the Japanese version for Ian Sinclair alone.

...I should really watch My Hero Academia, I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Top Bottom