• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone feel differently about their Switch Pre-Order weeks later?

Megatron

Ive definitely been waffling. I will most likely keep it, but its the most underwhelmed ive been for a day one launch in a while. If I don't get it at launch I might wait for my birthday in May and get it with Mario Kart and Zelda. But thats just two months so will probably just get it at launch.

RaptorGTA

Still very excited. Conference kind of hurt the mood but I feel the Switch will be a good investment, Cant wait to play Zelda.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
felt positive before, feel positive now. Having a massive open world Zelda game at launch was better, to me, than a Mario game, ensuring many many hours of gameplay from the get go even if you're not interested in other launch games

Soroc

Feel the same as the OP. Glad I didn't overreact and cancel my preorder. Still really looking forward to it and seeing some over the shoulder videos of that tablet screen helped reinforce my decision.

Tumo

I preordered a neon as soon as it was up, very hyped. I was mostly excited for Zelda, loved the Switch hardware and colours, the price was right.

On further consideration, I though if I did get the Switch I would end up bu[/SPOILER]ying Snipperclips, Bomberman, Binding of Isaac, Mario Kart, Splatoon and likely more all in a few months.

There are several 3DS and PS4 games I own and want to play. Mass Effect is also coming out a few weeks after Zelda and I want to play that at launch. I can play Zelda on the Wii U that I already own (albeit at a lower res).

I have a bad habit of getting a new system and dropping my previous one(s) along with a load of unplayed games due to lack of time and excitement about the "new" thing.

So I cancelled the preorder, mostly to avoid me buying a bunch of new things and not using what I already have.

I am very excited to get a Switch in the future, likely for Mario in the holidays. I can then enjoy an upgraded higher res Zelda for a second play through!

Edit: I re-preordered it hype hype hype

MADGAME

I am. Only buying for Zelda. Other than Snipperclips, not a single title interests me until SM Odyssey. Still want to buy but starting to doubt the cost justification of Switch/Zelda/Pro Contoller. Still time to decide.

Ossom

Last year following the initial announcement i was 100% day one, as I am with all Nintendo consoles.

After the direct this month I was seriously underwhelmed. I still placed my pre-order because I don't want to miss the opportunity to get one - I can always cancel.

Having seen more gameplay footage of things like Arms and 1 2 Switch, I am a bit more excited, but my hype levels are nowhere near what they were for previous systems.

I guess my Zelda hype is watered down after having known about it for so long, however it does look stunning.

My thinking currently is that I will definitely want one at some pint and there isn't much point in waiting for 6 months just to save £50 so I might as well just get one now. It's a tough time to release a new console because the other platforms are just hammering out top quality games continuously.

Kureransu

I was hyped, but seeing it was 299 kinda bummed me out. Since I haven't purchased a handheld in a while, i didn't know the N3DS XL was $199 without an AC charger. After finding that out my opinion of the switch price changed to actually be a good value.

It's been my hope that handhelds and consoles could have the same game on both and you could just share save files between the two, so you didn't have to play two separate campaigns. I thought the solution was going to be cloud saves along with cross buy, but the switch concept makes it even simpler. So I'm pretty stoked about what it can offer.

My family gets together the first sunday of every month for a potluck, so a game like 1,2, switch (which i still wish was 30 bucks, and will most likely wait for... depends on the content) speaks well to my lifestyle. so yeah, i'm back on the excited train.

Kintaco

Yeah I now regret getting the gray Switch instead of the neon one. This all came after seeing the solid red and blue configurations.

I would normally and buy Zelda WiiU instead until the prices are going down.

But then i remembered Nintendo stuff is never gonna be much cheaper so who cares and buy the Switch now.

I was bummed about at lot of the bad news that came out form the reveal

However now that I have had time to stew over the past few weeks Im still pretty pumped about the switch

Yeah its the not the True Vita successor I was looking for just yet but its potential still remains strong to deliver the majority of what I wanted out of it

Along with the potential for Nintendo to hopefully course correct in the future

I truly hope they listen to the demands of their consumers going forward

To me its lessened over time, especially since finding so many very anticipated games coming up shortly like Horizon (which to me looks almost as good as zelda) ghost recon and mass effect andromeda.

In contrast, no switch games that I want this year since I already have a Wii U so I can play zelda, mario kart and splatoon.

I will buy one if only for xeno 2 but waiting for a price cut and I think they bundle 1,2 switch at some point as well.

jmizzal

Nope, I know what games are coming and I know more is going to be announced.

Yes there are still a lot of unanswered questions, but Nintendo should have those cleared up before launch.

Plus no way am I passing up the best version of Zelda BotW

Haganeren

I'm also a big Nintendo fan and the Wii U is maybe one of my favorite console of all time.

... But the Switch ? Don't have many new game, have a paid online which i hate a LOT, is quite expensive if i want a second controller, don't have miiverse/streetpass (so worst online but now i have to pay), don't like the relationship with smartphone... I was very excited but now, not really...

I will take it with Super Mario Odyssey at the end of 2017 maybe... Or even later... For Breath of the Wild, it will be one Wii U !

membran

I pre-ordered the minute it went up on Amazon, but I have hovered over the cancellation button twice now. I could dust off my WiiU and play Zelda on there (waiting for a new hands-on report on Zelda WiiU, honestly), and the only game I'm otherwise interested in is the new Mario. So I'm going to cancel most likely and get one when Mario drops.

I preordered, unsure if I'd end up keeping it or not. The hype's getting to me now, I'm all in. Can't believe we're basically just a month away.

sugarless

Nope, I want it and I expect to have some flights soon after launch that I'm super hyped to have it for, even it will be mostly Zelda.

My only wavering has been that I went for grey since I thought the neon one looked hideous based on the reveal details, but I've now seen several people converted to it after seeing it in person. But since I have a 07:01 UK preorder in for launch day delivery, I'm not willing to jeopardise that for something I can fix with extra Joy-Cons later.

tootie923

I'm kind of wavering on cancelling because of my PS4 backlog. Zelda will probably be a good 20-30 hours, but after that, the system will collect dust for months while I play a solid library of PS4 games.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Got caught up in the excitement! Zelda! Mario Kart! In bed! YES!!!

Then here's a list of things I found out later after I had calmed down:

2.5 hour battery life on fancy games.
3 hours to charge the thing to play a fancy game for 2.5 hours
Phone app for chat
Phone app for (some kinds of?) matchmaking!*
No proper d-pad! (that's more like a duh realization)
32 Gigs of storage (again that's on me for not paying attention)
PRICE OF ACCESSORIES
Mario Kart not launch

Still excited. But tempered now.

atom519

Yeah I went through a similar rollercoaster shortly after the 12th. I was going to get it either way, but that conference was a total train wreck and the lack of launch window titles made me walk away really disappointed. I partly blame myself, as my expectations were high and was half-expecting Nintendo to be sitting on a bunch of nearly finished titles to front-load the Switch library this summer.

Since then, I've been reading through just about every preview and hands-on possible and the hype is really starting to get to me. Seeing the growing list of indie titles being announced helps. It's funny that a lot of these smaller titles I would traditionally have next to no interest in, are suddenly on my radar simply because I can play them on the go. I think indies are going to have a strong attach rate due to the mobile nature of the Switch.

The actual weekend of the 3rd I'll be out of town at a wedding, so it will be a (hopefully) good test of how the Switch works on the road. My son is in for a real treat on our long car ride!

Skronk

Banned
I'm still excited for it and don't have any crazy expectations for the thing. I know exactly what I've pre ordered.

I had a preorder for about a day, cancelled it though.

Still feel that was the right call, I need to know what the cost for online will be if nothing else. Owning a Wii u just makes it easier, I was always getting BOTW anyway, and the sting of the early 3ds price drop still lingers in my mind.

Acosta

Nah, I'll take buying a Switch over installing again the Wii U for Zelda. Being able to play on the go is a good enough plus.

ika

I was a bit disappointed when they confirmed the NX is a "hybrid" as I always play on my TV and never out of my home (don't commute because I drive and I don't have enough free time at work). My Wii U gamepad plays just fine on my bathroom so this was not a problem. I'd prefer a stationary device with a bit more power (don't need it to be a Project Scorpio killer, just a bit closer to current gen if only because we'll get games for this machine in the next 4-6 years and this will be noticeable later), the cost of the screen, the battery and all the design and engineering to make the hybrid spent on better chips.

BUT, the Switch reveal teaser was impressive and the Joy-Con are amazing. I'm also in love with Zelda BotW, Xenoblade 2, Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem Warriors, the new RMX Racing, Street Fighter, Bomberman, all the cool new and ported RPGs and the "promises" of more Japanese support (Platinum, FROM, S-Q,...). So, in the end I'm sold with the concept even when I was initially not so sure.

lyrick

I originally thought the March 3 date was really soon, but as the weeks passed it now feels too far away.

I would have been okay with going to the store and walking out with a unit directly after the reveal ended.

Jonnax

I'm buying it for Zelda on launch.

So my worries are more that it'll be a bad Zelda game not that it'll be a bad game.

I'm realistic so I've accepted that the console is as powerful as a Wii U.

Nope. I'm still very much anticipating Splatoon 2 and ARMS.

The console itself won't see much use until those games come out, though. I'm not into the launch titles.

I managed to get a preorder in but the more I thought about it the less I really wanted it, and I ended up canceling. I already have a Wii U and can get Breath of the Wild there, and outside of that, the Switch would primarily be a dust magnet for the first several months.

I'll just get Zelda on Wii U and get a Switch later on when there are at least 3-5 Nintendo games I really want for it. Probably mid-2018 or so.

The last few days I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles in bed on the Wii U gamepad.

It makes me far more enthusiastic for a Switch.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Still holding onto my pre-order, but really ambivalent about it.

I know I'll want one for Mario Odyssey and potentially Monster Hunter announcements, but I can just as happily enjoy Zelda in the short-term on Wii U... Literally nothing between Zelda and Mario right now enthuses me to buy a new console. Have a few weeks to cancel still, just uncertain.

MDave

Will use that 14 day window of returns if I don't like it or I feel it's too much or too early to get one. But I doubt I will return it, cause freaking Zelda, man! But I have a Wii U so, if that version is good enough to not miss 900p and portability, might go with that and then ... Switch later.

I've got a pre-order of the Switch with the Neon controllers pack in and a copy of Zelda. I'm not really sure I want it. I do want Zelda, but I've got a Wii U for that. So I'm just hanging onto it, as the Neon version looks to be all sold out already and maybe it'll be worth it to make a few quid off it come launch day - if I still don't want it then.

Seems daft to cancel yet anyway, worth waiting a few more weeks and see what happens.

Preorders immediately and went to the New York event and played with it myself.

I'm just as hyped as I was and after playing with it; I feel like my purchase is justified. Fantastic piece of hardware as a handheld specifically. The games are on it's way and playing console level Nintendo games on the go is what I've been waiting for Nintendo for the longest time

Plus tbh I refuse to possibly have to wait and wait till stock comes back in and look out for next shipments if it sells out. I don't have time for that.

If anything I semi regret not going neon cause it's so good in person and grey joycons will be easy to purchase after.

Mihos

Gold Member
Not really, there are only 4 games announced that I will probably get, but if nothing else, it can sit in my collection.
I am not going to pay for the online thing and any 3rd party games I am going to buy for other systems.

There's not enough games for me (I normally need at least 2-3 must haves before buying).

But the wife and kids aren't gonna want to wait. Might as well grab when I can.

krumble

Simple topic, really. I'm a huge Nintendo fan and grabbed a Switch preorder as soon as they went up. After the hype cooled and online infrastructure questions came up, I started getting a little concerned and debated cancelling the pre-order.

As time went on, I warmed back up to it. Warmed to the point where I can't wait for March 3rd now. Zelda being a factor, I'm sure.... but almost every hands-on impression from people have been like "wait until you use this, it's impressive" and it's almost like Nintendo did some impressive things with the hardware. The screen and controller quality is just more of the greatness I had hoped for.

Anyone else been on a rollercoaster since last Fall, too?

Felt EXACTLY like this, but adding to the warm back up factor is that 3rd march is my Birthday and can't imagine anything better than a new Nintendo console and Zelda on my birthday (actually the only thing better would have been if Mario was also released launch day, but I'm patient )

SRTtoZ

Slightly. I took a gander at what game I wanted to buy along with Zelda and holy shit there's nothing else that tempts me. Not even old ass Rayman Legends is making launch. Nintendo dropped the ball with the launch lineup.

Top Bottom