• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone feel differently about their Switch Pre-Order weeks later?

PrimeBeef

Simple topic, really. I'm a huge Nintendo fan and grabbed a Switch preorder as soon as they went up. After the hype cooled and online infrastructure questions came up, I started getting a little concerned and debated cancelling the pre-order.

As time went on, I warmed back up to it. Warmed to the point where I can't wait for March 3rd now. Zelda being a factor, I'm sure.... but almost every hands-on impression from people have been like "wait until you use this, it's impressive" and it's almost like Nintendo did some impressive things with the hardware. The screen and controller quality is just more of the greatness I had hoped for.

Anyone else been on a rollercoaster since last Fall, too?

Nope but just did my taxes and will be getting a refund for the first time in over 20 years. I am trying right now to find one since I will have the money for it.

after almost a decade of being a non-Nintendo fan, I'm thoroughly more hyped as the date inches closer to launch, actually. i want to believe (and escape this wretched reality around us right now).

Ryde3

after attending the Toronto Switch Preview Event, I am not extremely excited and totally locked in. I was questioning the purchase before that.

I was (and still am) disappointed and indifferent about the console. Paid online, lackluster presentation, terrible launch lineup outside of Zelda, expensive accessories, more unanswered questions, and 900p BOTW just annoyed me.

However, the trailer for Zelda was amazing and definitely made me keep my pre-order. I just have to play it on the Switch as it's the definitive version of the game.

I also realized that every Nintendo system I bought was only due to Zelda being released on that respective platform, so this console is no exception. Plus, the Wii U is dead at this point so might as well go all in on the Switch.

Keyouta

Cancelled because I would have played Zelda and then not much until Splatoon 2. I have a Wii U, so a full priced Mario Kart at $80 doesn't sound good; the release schedule is a little sparse for me. Going to wait until the holidays. I have a huge backlog to go through.

Yeah, I grabbed a preorder only because I happened to be online when they came up on Amazon again the day after the conference. I figured I was likely just going to cancel it, but I put in the order just in case. Then my 6 year old son got really excited about it when I showed him the preview videos when he got home from school, and that hype kind of rubbed off on to me.
Now I'm more excited about it than I've ever been. We just have Zelda preordered, but I'm thinking about snagging Bomberman for me and him.

I started out cautiously: I knew I'd want the system by the end of the year and it was just a matter of deciding whether I wanted it now when I could just as easily play Zelda on the Wii U, and from the beginning I was grumpy about a subscription for online play when I never wanted any additional networking frills to begin with. But the closer we get to release, the more euphoric I'm becoming about the whole affair. Almost everything in the first-party calendar interests me, the portability is something that will pay off for me right away in March, and in retrospect I'm relieved I got all my ordering out of the way so I wouldn't have to get entangled in the hunt. I've largely outgrown day-one excitement for everything, and had fallen into a pattern of late adoption since the 3DS, but the thrill is back in a way it hasn't since the launch of the Wii.

Zero excitement for it, probably going to cancel. Not really that much interest in BOTW (I know, thats messed up but I haven't really played a zelda game in years) and I was hoping for more game announcements and release dates close to release window but nothing so far. If I don't really hear anything interesting by mid february I will be cancelling my pre order. I have no interest at all in Arms, 1,2 Switch, Splatoon, or any motion games.

I had two pre orders, one for me and one from my brother and he's already told me to cancel his, he has no interest in it.

What didn't help was buying a refurb Wii U and jail breaking it, now I can run any homebrew or any region game on it and its portable enough for me to take during summer vacation to play mario kart 8 online with family and friends.

I also know the switch will get a bundle and possibly a price discount and even maybe a new skin/wrap in the fall or next year and that would be more palatable to me, I think.

Fou-Lu

I was hyped then a bit worried and now excited again. I love new hardware and this seems like solid new hardware, the fact that I get the best version of the new Zelda just makes it even better.

spekkeh

Banned
Yes but my turnaround took about a day maximum. I was down like the rest of the community, but then I realized that I was down because it cost about 30 euros more than I expected, and that's an amount I ain't even noticing on a monthly basis, let alone to buy for a whole console. Then the machine looks really well designed and impressions of Arms and Snipperclips also make those seem like must have titles, so overall the hype is starting to kill me.

The only thing I'm still annoyed about is the paid online, but we know nothing about it so I decided not to worry too much.

And I'm getting some buyer's remorse for ordering the grey one, though ultimately I feel like that is a more cohesive whole and I'd whip it out of my bag on a train more quickly.

shamo42

Yes I feel different because the cost went down from 398 Eur (329 + 69 for Zelda) to 341 Eur (281+ 60 for Zelda).

I'm excited to have not only a portable Zelda. But probably one of the most polished Zelda games created so far. Imagine going to the park after work or on the weekend with the Switch, a good pair of headphones and playing Zelda for an hour or 2 under blooming cherry blossom trees.

tumblr_mynivpDI8T1s4uwt4o1_r1_500.jpg

I don't have a WiiU. So there's plenty of games coming this year with Mario Kart 8, Snipperclipps, Sonic Mania, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey.

With some luck there will be more WiiU remakes like Paper Mario or Donkey Kong announced later this year.

Depending if Nintendo does a direct or not during February will determine if I keep my order. I am not that excited about getting one but the new Zelda looks really good, but that doesn't mean it will be.

Overall I am just waiting on more information and reviews on Zelda. If Nintendo is quiet until launch then I am out. There are enough games coming out this spring on other platforms that I can play instead.

lt519

I wasn't very excited about the games at first, but I think I am a little more now. Accessory pricing was a bit of a blow, spent more than I was meaning to, but definitely amped up for launch and Zelda.

I keep looking at games released by developers where in the past I'd have gotten it on PS4 instead of the Wii U due to online communities, trophies, sales, or other reasons; but now all I can think about is being able to play games while mobile (my internet up is too crap for PS4 remote away from home).

Yes for sure. I had a bit of regret at first because of the Canadian price. But the more I looked at the lineup, I realized that there are more than enough games that I want. I also play games on Steam so there is no such thing as a drought to me and I cant miss Nintendo games.
I'm not going to wait for price cuts on consoles I want anymore. I regretted doing that with the Wii u

Flintty

When I first made my order I wasn't too excited or sure if I'd keep it but I wanted to get my order in before they sold out and could always change my mind later.

Now? Super hyped and have ordered more Switch stuff to go with it. Can't wait!

DonShula

I was let down by the presentation but preordered anyway. I've always been of the mind that a console will last you years, and there's no harm in paying full MSRP up front if you know you'll get use out of it. This is Nintendo, so I know I'll get some good games.

I'm still excited for launch but wish there were more games. Realistically, I'll have time to play just Zelda and nothing else, so it hardly matters. But it still stings a bit and I would have gladly given Nintendo more money for more games.

Controller prices are gross.

Same here ! I thought it was not possible (all red could have been right joy con) but they are not stupid and inverted the colors when sold separately ! So I really could be buying the neon one now...
I like the colour choices. I have the same neon colours for vita. 2 2006 PCH model vitas.

Yeah I actually cancelled it, there isn't enough that interests me in the system for 300 bucks. There was nothing to me that looked good on launch except for Zelda(which I can get on my Wii U). The addition of paid online and the phone/party system stuff really turned me off as well. I get it, Nintendo wants to get in on the money making machine of paid online, but I already have that on my PS4 and I wont be playing multiplat games on the Switch either. I also didnt like Splatoon either, so splatoon 2 doesn't do anything for me.

The only other two games that looked good to me was Mario and Xenoblade 2(which I will def get) but I'd rather wait on a bundle in the holiday season for when that comes.

chronomac

I'm pretty excited but I would feel much more comfortable if we had a Direct outlining the UI, VC and online service. Have to think that'll happen soon right?

Was definitely down after the presentation, but preordered that night so I could decide later if I wanted it. Glad I did, because I'm looking forward to it now. Excited to play BOTW, Mario Kart, Puyo Puyo and Splatoon before the fall.

Raylan

Banned
Not reallly. Still disappointed as last week. Just like all my gaming friends.
Gonna grab this thing when it hits $199 and has more games.

SiDCrAzY

When I first preordered I was pretty sure I was going to end up cancelling it, but the more time passes the more I think I'm going to keep it.

I have paid closer attention to the list of games coming out during launch/launch year and it's a nice chunk. Good enough for me.

Griss

I'm wishing I had preordered it.

I just didn't know I'd be in the USA at the time. If I had known, I'd have preordered. You can't get them where I live.

pswii60

I'm keeping my pre-order as I know I'll really want to get my hands on with it day one. But honestly, whether I'll keep it is another matter.

For me, as a PS4 owner, it'll be a Zelda box until Mario hits. "But Splatoon, but Mario Kart, but Arms" etc, yeah whatever. I'm not interested in those titles, especially given my existing backlog and ton of amazing games hitting PS4 over the coming months. So yeah, it'll be a Zelda box until Mario hits.

So, just like Wii U, it'll be another Nintendo console that spends the majority of its time gathering dust, with occasional moments of sheer brilliance. And I hope one of those moments happens to be a new Metroid Prime.

Feel better than ever about it after a kinda lackluster presentation. My only regret is going for the grey JoyCons instead of the neons.

Collin

Banned
My hype for the Switch is totally contingent with my hype for Breath of the Wild. Honestly, I think the console had a terrible showing and looks like shit, but Zelda's so hard to resist that I got one anyway. Nintendo's a bunch of assholes.

Tater

I'm still on the fence over this one - preordered it when it popped up online, but I'm wondering if the value is there yet.

I have a Wii U, I don't need it to play Zelda... so why get it at launch? I'm excited for Mario/Xenoblade 2, but those aren't going to be out for almost another year. I've already played MK8 to death, the only thing really new for it is Splatoon 2.

At this point, I'm seriously considering my preorder and trying to pick one up during Black Friday sales this year. There will probably be a bundle by then.

GAMETA

Banned
Considering prices (specially here in Brazil), launch titles, accessories prices, availability, etc, I'll be buying a Switch in 2018 only.

I'll play Breath of the Wild on the WiiU :)

Kacho

I'm much more excited about the thing now than I was after the Switch presentation. Actively excited for the thing and counting down the days.

The Virtual Console / Online announcement is make or break for me. If we have to wait another three years to play half of the NES catalog again I may wait for a price drop.

King_Moc

Banned
I'm more positive than I was, butthe pricing of the games is still utterly insane, but the Amazon 1 day £10 off sales of over £50 sale meant that I've managed to order Zelda, Mario Kart and 1 2 Switch for the prices they actually should be launching at.

£50 for Bomberman and Puyo Puyo Tetras though...it's just a piss take.

Still, preorders of the actual console sound vaguely promising.

iFirez

I'm damn happy with my preorder, I have the grey one. I may end up buying 2 red joycons down the road but it depends how often I use them, I will likely be a pro controller user 99% of the time.

I flip flop daily, Come launch I'll have to finally decide if I want to keep or not.

Same here.
I'm catching up on all the handheld Zeldas and i'm on a tight budget so i don't know if my wallet can justify it. We'll see come launch day.
Damn only like a month away!

That said the concept and hardware still have me hyped af. As a non-graphic whore/online gamer, this still sounds like a dream console to me. My biggest concern is if they will lock out simple online functionality like Pokémon trading

Dremorak

Banned
As a huge Zelda fan, I want the best version, and also I was always going to get a switch eventually. Snipperclips looks really cool. I hope they announce some virtual console stuff for launch tho

Top Bottom