• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone game from their couch with a keyboard and mouse? How?

Boogdud

Iskelter Slate. My wife has one of these and it is fantastic. Build quality is excellent. Hand made bamboo.

DSC_0752-small.jpg

They're also making a gamer specific one with more surface area, they're kickstarting it right now (they got their start with the other models on kickstarter as well).

Hover-X

unnamed-3.jpg

Takuan

I've struggled with the same issue and have resigned myself to simply not playing FPS games.

That Couchmaster looks legit, a shame there doesn't appear to be a Canadian distributor for it. I'd buy the pro version in a heartbeat if I could walk into a store and buy it at ~$200.

Chinbo37

Iskelter Slate. My wife has one of these and it is fantastic. Build quality is excellent. Hand made bamboo.

DSC_0752-small.jpg

They're also making a gamer specific one with more surface area, they're kickstarting it right now (they got their start with the other models on kickstarter as well).

Hover-X

unnamed-3.jpg

Oh man that looks awesome but 98 bucks is pretty steep. I could make one myself i guess with piece of wood and a thin mouse pad (especially as I wont use it for a laptop but just for keyboard and mouse)

I've struggled with the same issue and have resigned myself to simply not playing FPS games.

That Couchmaster looks legit, a shame there doesn't appear to be a Canadian distributor for it. I'd buy the pro version in a heartbeat if I could walk into a store and buy it at ~$200.

Yeah waiting for it is a bummer and shipping is no picnic. The place I ordered from, Steiger Dynamics, took a while to ship but I think they do worldwide shipping?

Box showed up sort of banged up, but nothing inside was damaged (I took pictures just in case!)

pixlexic

Banned
I game from a recliner and just use the mouse on the arm.

That said I only ever use the mouse if it's mandatory. . I hate m/k controls.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag

DSC_0752-small.jpg

Hover-X

unnamed-3.jpg

Hmmmm if you're just looking for a board to put your keyboard/mouse on, why not just get a big kitchen cutting board ? Those would be quite cheap and pretty lightweight as well ? No need to spend that much money on something like that ?

Takuan

Yeah waiting for it is a bummer and shipping is no picnic. The place I ordered from, Steiger Dynamics, took a while to ship but I think they do worldwide shipping?

Box showed up sort of banged up, but nothing inside was damaged (I took pictures just in case!)

What was the final cost, if you don't mind my asking? I have to imagine shipping alone is $50, then there's taxes and duties on top of that.

prag16

Banned

Hover-X
]

What in the ever living hell? The asking price for these... I almost fell out of my chair... It's a slab of wood with vents and a mouse pad....

What am I missing here? Not even anything contoured/padded on the bottom to make it ergonomic? I thought, "Hmm, interesting, I'd pay maybe $30 for something like this." Then my jaw literally hit the floor when I saw the prices.

Chinbo37

What in the ever living hell? The asking price for these... I almost fell out of my chair... It's a slab of wood with vents and a mouse pad....

What am I missing here? Not even anything contoured/padded on the bottom to make it ergonomic? I thought, "Hmm, interesting, I'd pay maybe $30 for something like this." Then my jaw literally hit the floor when I saw the prices.

Lol ya they look nice and I am sure the build quality is good but cant justify those prices.

I think I have decided for my own situation to just build my own lap board from either an Ikea shelf or a piece of scrap wood. Ill glue on a gaming mouse pad, and add velcro to the bottom to attach cushions so I can get it at the correct height. Similar to this article I found.

https://medium.com/@_jh3y/pc-gaming-from-the-couch-the-quest-for-the-ideal-lapboard-88d46beb9245

I not only game from my couch, I do everything on my PC these days from my couch - my TV is the only display that my PC is connected to now.

I don't have a picture of it, but all I use is a big black TV tray that I got from Wal-mart. It's wide enough for the keyboard and mouse to be side-by-side. I do have to sit up straight; I can't slouch backwards like I may do while playing with a controller. But it's a small price to pay for proper keyboard and mouse placement. I've tried the keyboard-on-lap and mouse-on-couch method, it's horrible.

b0bbyJ03

I purchased a solid mouse pad from Best Buy and just use my keyboard on my lap and place the mouse pad on my right side, next to my thigh. The keyboard I use has a usb port on the right side that I plug my mouse into and this set up works perfectly. nothing fancy is needed. its very comfortable and since the angle makes it easy to move my arm around when I use the mouse I never get wrist pains like I do at a desk. I actually prefer couch gaming with a mouse over a desk.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Occasionally. Only with certain games though like Homeworld or Sins.

Mostly I game with a 360 controller on my couch. Wont touch an FPS game that doesn't support controllers while on my couch.

What was the final cost, if you don't mind my asking? I have to imagine shipping alone is $50, then there's taxes and duties on top of that.

Legit question - I got the Pro version (whichever offered the USB Hub/Cable Management) which was $179, and shipping was $35, so total: $214

Pretty ridiculous, but like I said - it solved my problem. My TV is my PC at this point. I even stream to twitch on my couch.

I put a book on my leg for the mouse. Sometimes I just turn mouse sensitivity up and use a couple of square inches of thigh. I played most of Borderlands like that.

Takuan

Legit question - I got the Pro version (whichever offered the USB Hub/Cable Management) which was $179, and shipping was $35, so total: $214

Pretty ridiculous, but like I said - it solved my problem. My TV is my PC at this point. I even stream to twitch on my couch.

You didn't have to pay taxes on top of that? I'm totally buying that if it's $214 all-in.

TheGrue

Keyboard on my lap and stiffer mouse pad with mouse on top on the couch next to me. Couch is leather, so it doesn't sag. I am able to sit back on the couch with this setup and it works just fine.

Takuan

They didn't charge tax, no, so you're supposed to report online purchases during tax season (aka now, if I have things correct).

I'm surprised something that large wasn't marked for customs/duties at the border, though. Also, I had no idea you had to report online purchases not from Canada. In the rare instances I ordered something from the states, I'd be charged upfront or at the door.

I'm surprised something that large wasn't marked for customs/duties at the border, though. Also, I had no idea you had to report online purchases not from Canada. In the rare instances I ordered something from the states, I'd be charged upfront or at the door.

Ah there's the issue - I'm in the U.S., I missed that part. This place ships out of California, I think I read right?

My bad!

Khar

I use a Logitech laptop tray I bought for a now retired gaming laptop a few years ago. It has a pull-out mouse mat and fits a decent sized keyboard.

The pull out mouse mat has a lip around it which is particularly useful. You'll find the mouse will skate around and slide off a flat surface (unless it's completely and utterly level) if you take your hand off it to have a sip of coffee. The lip stops that happening.

Mine is Logitech's Portable Lapdesk 315: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NTADVW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It doesn't look like it's widely available now though.

There's a similar looking one I've seen for around $20 which also has a pull out mouse pad with a lip: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/home-gift-portable-lap-pad/22464500

Ive had a comfy couch setup for a couple years now and I love it. So far I have only played games with gamepad support.

Of course I have a wireless mouse and Keyboard I use for browing the internet etc, but I havent gamed with them cause it is a bit uncomfortable. My couch actually tracks well with my mouse but the position is a bit too low.

I have seen those tables people put in front of their couch but they seem either ugly or too high maybe?

I was thinking of playing some FPS' I have been meaning to get around to but with mouse and keyboard. Any suggested ways to go about this?

I game from the couch with a thin square of plastic leftover from a tv stand over my lap. It's perfect for putting the keyboard and mouse on.

Kinda like this but mine is square shaped and thinner.

50232-lv_2.jpg

Mikeside

Sorry to drag up an old topic, but have there been any advancements in this?

I'm thinking about getting a Hover X+ for mouse and keyboard gaming on the couch, but would love to know if there's a cheaper or a better option

Top Bottom