• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone game from their couch with a keyboard and mouse? How?

Chinbo37

Ive had a comfy couch setup for a couple years now and I love it. So far I have only played games with gamepad support.

Of course I have a wireless mouse and Keyboard I use for browing the internet etc, but I havent gamed with them cause it is a bit uncomfortable. My couch actually tracks well with my mouse but the position is a bit too low.

I have seen those tables people put in front of their couch but they seem either ugly or too high maybe?

I was thinking of playing some FPS' I have been meaning to get around to but with mouse and keyboard. Any suggested ways to go about this?

Saw this on Reddit earlier today. Look pretty comfortable :)

X5IPKHg.jpg

Edit: here´s a video of the setup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7_N8I7Y4jU

I had to lean forward too much. And it was a little high. And not big enough for the mouse and keyboard so I was playing at an awkward angle.

pa22word

Get an ottoman and rest the keyboard on your thighs, or just use a recliner or something. For the mouse I just built myself a little 10x10 pad out of plyboard with a mousepad superglued to it. Works awesome for me.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
As a console guy this is something I've wondered when PC players talk of comfy couch. If/when I get a Steam Machine I'm going to want it hooked to my TV, which means I'd be using a controller. The problem with that is I like fps titles, where I'd be at a disadvantage against mouse players.
I wouldn't want to be hunched over a table with a mouse/keyboard so I guess some sort of lap tray would have to suffice.

Dr Dogg

Depends on what you're playing really. I've played Civ with an Apple bluetooth keyboard and Wacom Bamboo on the sofa many times. I'd imagine a handheld trackball would be perfect for most games.

Logitech K400 & Logitech G602 on a large wooden board. It sits across the arms of my recliner chair and is the perfect height for playing on. I can easily play any game in comfort. The only thing I'm missing is my Corsair K70 which is easy enough to plug in and use if needed.

PopFisto

Banned
I actually do it from my bed, while lying down.

A good optical mouse will track very well, especially on the correct bed set, as long as it is one uniform color. And a mechanical keyboard I can just plop on my lap. Maximum comfort.

JakeD

I keep a mouse on my coffee table , and a keyboard tucked next to the couch. I use a 360 controller for 90% of the games I play, but if I do need to play a kb/m game I'll usually stream it to my laptop (divinity, cities skylines, games that don't really benefit from the TV anyway)

I don't play many FPS and when I do it's not competitive so I don't mind using a controller. On the rare occasion I want kb/m AND the TV I'll usually sit on the floor with the kb on my lap and use the mouse on the floor. It's not as bad as it sounds.

Chinbo37

I use a cloth mouse mat on the sofa and keyboard in my lap. Works fine.

Ya I think the mouse part is fine. Its a bit low but I can maybe put a book down or something.

Its more hte keyboard but it might be that my keyboard is just too small. I bigger one would rest better on my lap. Thinking about getting hte Logitech K800

Saw this on Reddit earlier today. Look pretty comfortable :)

X5IPKHg.jpg

I own one of those and use it every day.

Given how much I use my computer in our main room, I went ahead and bought this. While I'm convinced someone could build a better functioning and cheaper kind of couch desk, this was the only one that allowed me to keep my wired keyboard (full size) and mouse. I guess I'd say I recommend it because it solves the problem, but the build feels very cheap, which is a problem because that monstrosity is expensive .

It isn't a problem to disassemble though. When not in use I slide the top desk panel under the couch, and the two cushions just go in the closet. Less than 30 second cleanup, which is usually my clean up window for guests.

Save for only the least scale able UI games, I've been able to play very well with it. Civ V is great, Dota 2 works (but I am bad at that game so who knows), the list goes on.

I'd recommend that couch beast only if, like me, you really were committed to wired /full size peripherals, if you plan on using that computer as a desktop (as in not just for gaming), and if you have a firm couch. Seriously this is critical, customer support laughed me out if a support email when I told them the cushions in my old couch sank too low and the angle was bad.

That and it is a monster. When it's out, it takes up lots of couch space. Still glad I bought it though.

I'm using my computer on a 39" TV while laying on my bed.
Until I move or my roommate doesn't have a cat, my PC is staying in here.

Oh, and my room is tiny, so it's either my little entertainment stand with all my consoles and my PC (sitting on a minifridge lol) or a desk with just my PC.

Lurch666

I have my monitor on a swing arm next to my sofa.
I just swing it flat against the wall when I'm not using it.
keyboard and mouse on a table next to me within easy reach.
Very comfy and convenient.

Donos

Ive had a comfy couch setup for a couple years now and I love it. So far I have only played games with gamepad support.

Of course I have a wireless mouse and Keyboard I use for browing the internet etc, but I havent gamed with them cause it is a bit uncomfortable. My couch actually tracks well with my mouse but the position is a bit too low.

I have seen those tables people put in front of their couch but they seem either ugly or too high maybe?

I was thinking of playing some FPS' I have been meaning to get around to but with mouse and keyboard. Any suggested ways to go about this?

There is a thread for this: Comfy Couch PC Gaming Thread | Cheap streaming is now here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969563

orava

I have been using a 360 controller for comfy couch PC gaming. It's good if the game is relatively new but it does not work with all games or needs some tinkering and configuration. Those "laptables" are always too hard to set up, take too much space and are just clunky all around. The steam controller will be a Gabensend.

usually sat like this..

tz8clR.jpg

the laser mouse helps a lot.

Yeh that's pretty much me. It might look a little unwieldy but it is perfectly comfortable. I store my keyboard and mouse on a shelf below my coffee table when not in use, next to my controllers.

Lafazar

Just with keyboard on lap, and mouse beside me on the couch. I do this all the time and it feels fine.

Same, works perfectly fine with wireless mouse and keyboard for me. Of course I only play singleplayer games where I don't need super precise and lag free mouse movement, but even fast paced FPS seem to play just fine.

It's possible this might not work as well for online multiplayer games for example, but I never tried it.

Reese-015

usually sat like this..

tz8clR.jpg

the laser mouse helps a lot.

I kinda game like that from my bed sometimes with my laptop hooked up to the tv... It works pretty much perfectly well but I feel like if I'd try to play say Battlefield 4 like this, my accuracy/reflexes would suck since a normal desk chair makes for a much better posture. Hope I'm wrong though, would be cool if I can play everything like that.

Koobion

I have a padded laptop stand that you place on your lap. I just put my keyboard on that, and then to the right I have a rigid mouse pad that I support by sliding it underneath the stand a little. Both are perfectly stable and it's quite comfortable.

prag16

Banned
Just with keyboard on lap, and mouse beside me on the couch. I do this all the time and it feels fine.
This is what I do. Though I usually put a pillow under the keyboard and another under my left arm.

As for the mouse being too low when set on the couch, it's not an issue for me since I'm usually slouched down just a bit.

It's not perfect, but I usually choose this over using a controller even when the option exists. .

rotekz

Neo Member
You just need a bean-bag lap tray on your right hand side with a large mouse mat on top. The keyboard is fine rested on your lap. I use a small gel wrist support in front of the WASD keys position. Works comfortably for me when playing sat on the couch.

beanbagtray.jpg

Manac0r

I'm not at home otherwise would post a pic: but a large cushioned tray with a Logitech k800 and a G700s mouse do the trick.

Chinbo37

Lol I don't think I can get the couch beast. Looking for something a bit smaller. Some good ideas in this thread though.

Chinbo37

I'm not at home otherwise would post a pic: but a large cushioned tray with a Logitech k800 and a G700s mouse do the trick.

When you have a chance can you post the pic? Also how is the k 800 for gaming? As mentioned I am thinking of getting one to replace my MS Bluetooth keyboard.

I played through all three Mass Effects on my recliner with a wireless mouse and keyboard. I put the keyboard on my lap and the mouse on the arm rest. (The recliner's armrest is very wide and pretty high though, which helped.) It was uncomfortable to do for long periods, but wasn't too bad for an hour or so at a time.

vash2695

I'm actually a bit backwards, I use an xbone controller with xpadder for most general computing, have it set to auto switch to a blank profile for any games that call for it, and I have a Logitech TK820 if I need to type anything.

When it comes to mouse and keyboard gaming, I use a Logitech G13 since it is tiny and doesn't need to sit on my lap, then a G400 mouse. For my mousepad I have an old 360 filled with sand that has a mousepad glued to one side :)

The only downside to this setup is the wires, I use a USB extension under my rug. Really wish someone could make a wireless USB hub of some sort

What is that couch beast called... I think I want one...

To keep with the ridiculousness, it is called a CouchMaster. I also forgot to add in my last post - have an extra USB hub handy. The one that came with the CouchMaster was not at all what I had hoped for, couldn't power all 4 ports and wound up breaking.

I love your carpet! Where did you purchase it from if you mind me asking? Nice setup btw!

Haha thanks! I love that thing too - believe it or not it was a Target purchase; they've had some great, colorful patterns lately. Pillows too!

shandy706

I do 90% controller gaming on my PC in our room on the TV. We kick back on the bed though....so no couch gaming.

I have a second gaming PC in my study area that I play games on that require a mouse. I bought StarCraft II a couple weeks ago and I've been spending time at the desk on the secondary rig with it lately.

I do use the mouse in our room, but I don't use it to game often. It's just not responsive enough to enjoy strategy games and games where I have to click on small items (like sim building games).

Manac0r

When you have a chance can you post the pic? Also how is the k 800 for gaming? As mentioned I am thinking of getting one to replace my MS Bluetooth keyboard.
Certainly will do! The k800 is great I usually go for a mechanical keyboard, but the k800 does the job. Responsive, not cheap feeling and no lag and the backlighting is a bonus if you need it. I recommend it, you won't be disappointed.

I'm pretty competitive in online PC games, I sit in a office chair with no desk in front of me. I use a table that I place on my lap to support the mouse and keyboard. You just gotta be creative with it and find something that's comfortable and it should be fine.

Top Bottom