• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone here gaming for less than 5 hours a week?

MorshuTheTrader

Neo Member
Depends. Overall I probably average about 5 a week. My problem is that once I actually get a good chunk of time to play games, I struggle to play more than an hour or so because I feel guilty that I should be doing something else even though I've been looking forward to getting some good game time all week lol

MCD250

I'm about there these days, probably. Maybe even a little less. It's not even necessarily about not having the time for it. I find that as I get older I'm less inclined to spend time gaming for long sessions. I consequently appreciate games that have a shorter duration more. These days I'm more inclined to go for a 8-10 hour gaming experience than a massive 30-40 hour one. Even 15-20 hour games push it for me.

These days my gaming habits consist mainly of playing whatever game I'm focusing on at the time for about 30-60 minutes (these days it's Gravity Rush 2, which I've been playing since it released) plus a few matches of Street Fighter V (though I haven't been playing that as much since my fight pad broke down last week). I'm almost through Gravity Rush at this point and I'm really interested in some of the big name games that are coming in a few weeks like Horizon, Zelda and Mass Effect, but the fact that they all seem so msssive in scale does give me a bit of pause.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It depends on how hungover I am on Saturdays/Sundays.

No but I do have this affliction that if I am playing a game, and even if I am enjoying it a lot, if a day goes by that I don't fire it up then I will 99.99% probably never play it again. I can play it for a few hours every day and then if just one day I don't that is it. Its dead to me. Its not a time pressure thing - its almost as if I need someone to hand me the controller every day or I just forget.

Here is hoping forthcoming games don't suffer the same fate at my fickle hands.

JoeNut

yeah i have a 4 week old son so fair to say i've been distracted, still managed to get a few hours here and there on GTA online and finished final fantasy too

Kaako

Felium Defensor
This is me usually unless I have a game I really really wanna play like Nioh currently. Then I'll make time and boy do I make time lol.

jacobeid

Banned
The past few months have been absolute hell at work so I've been lucky to get 1-2 hours a week in. I haven't even finished Gravity Rush 2 yet.

I do have a long weekend though so I'll likely get some time in this weekend.

No but I do have this affliction that if I am playing a game, and even if I am enjoying it a lot, if a day goes by that I don't fire it up then I will 99.99% probably never play it again. I can play it for a few hours every day and then if just one day I don't that is it. Its dead to me. Its not a time pressure thing - its almost as if I need someone to hand me the controller every day or I just forget.

Kind of feeling this way about the Wii U I got a while back. Enjoyed the heck out of DKC:TF, SM3DW, and other games, but when I moved the HDMI back to my PS4 to play Rocket League, it's almost as if the Wii U completely disappeared. Hopefully I pick it back up again and make the most of my investment.

smisk

There are definitely some weeks I'm under 5 hours (including this one probably). Lately all I've been playing is a free shmup names Hydorah and the first SMT (emulated on 3DS).

Cromulent_Chill

Neo Member
Feelings of guilt rise when I actually play games, like I'm neglecting things I need to do, but wasting even more time just reading about games doesn't bother me for some reason.

Currently, Pokemon sun.

I get the guilt thing. It's really bad for me cuz my S.O has a chronic illness now. Taking any time for myself is met with guilt. I force myself to play mobile games. Only a few that actually grab me lately though. Crashlands, Reigns, Downwell. They are all great in short spurts, been sitting down with Sattelite Reign on PC though which fulfills me. Plentiful checkpoints, and a good game to "get into", even without a lot of time. That's what I really want is to lose myself in a game for awhile. Finished Inside recently, and it was interesting. Lots of atmosphere crammed in, simple yet elegant.
Keep trying to play through "The last guardian". Fan of team ico. But the atmosphere needs to build, and maybe isn't the right time to play when I'm nervous about the time. I want to play these games, my self from years past demands I buy them and treat myself, but life is changing friends and it's sad. My S.O and I are envisioning a blog though where we play games together though, and other things. That would help.
She does game a bit, but needs to build up some core experiences. Not sure where to start.

Melchiah

I'm exactly the opposite. I like to savour the experience by not rushing through, and keeping breather days inbetween. It increases the desire to play for me.

I've had Last Guardian on download since Christmas. Manage at best 2 hours a week plus a little VR. Girlfriend, work and sleep take up the rest of my time :(

When I get to play for an extended amount of time, it's either a sports game or chip away at The Witcher 3. No game has really grabbed me in the past few months.

Work, life, and two small kids = 4 hours a week at best.

Sometimes it's Mario Kart with the wife. And sometimes R6:S. I never even bother with long story driven games anymore

I've been unemployed/retired for years and have zero responsibilities, yet I still feel "too tired to play games"... rather post on GAF and watch videos all day.

Not sure I buy the "too tired after work" excuse. When I had work/school I too used to think if only I had more free time I would be relishing in video games... didn't happen. We need to dig deeper.

I don't know why I have the Switch preordered.

Don't have time most of the time barring mobile games, but Dishonored 2 is my main squeeze at the moment. Major issue is simply that I am running through the game accepting sloppy results etc. Dishonored 2 is really a game that honestly requires a deep playthrough and sadly my time constraints mean I am only glancig at environments that demand high levels of attention. I just realized today that they round the corners of areas so the eye has nowhere to rest in order to make the environments seem more expansive, but few games I've played have such intensive level design.

I play more (somethink like 10 hours a week I guess) but mainly on my 3DS because it is more convenient (if I have a short beak I can play a little) and dropped some other time consuming hobbies I didn't enjoy as much (like TV shows). Honestly, since I shifted to handeleds (with home console from time to time) I still have time left to play games (even when super busy) with no "pressure" and just because it is a fun and enjoyable hobby.

I've been unemployed/retired for years and have zero responsibilities, yet I still feel "too tired to play games"... rather post on GAF and watch videos all day.

Not sure I buy the "too tired after work" excuse. When I had work/school I too used to think if only I had more free time I would be relishing in video games... didn't happen. We need to dig deeper.

I don't know why I have the Switch preordered.

Haha, I was a bit like that at some point in life. As a kid, I was actually playing videogames and growing up, I realised I mostly ended up watching/talking about them. I just realised it was not as fun and a bit sterile and went back to the playing aspect. ;-) I think the first shift had to do with being a bit too obsessed in my case.

Haha, I was a bit like that at some point in life. As a kid, I was actually playing videogames and growing up, I realised I mostly ended up watching/talking about them. I just realised it was not as fun and a bit sterile and went back to the playing aspect. ;-) I think the first shift had to do with being a bit too obsessed in my case.
Same thing that happened to you happened with my nephew/friend too. He's been giving me advice/encouragement on how to get back into playing them... I believe it can happen because I'm obviously still very interested in them, and I do feel my current routine is a bit too dull... but habits are hard

Also I think I need to get into the multiplayer/online aspect of gaming, which I never got into. I think part of my addiction to GAF is the "social interaction" aspect, that is completely lacking in the games I play.

grayfoxx881

Neo Member
I recently tracked down a SNES 101 model and a Genesis. Currently playing Donkey Kong Country and the X-Men games.

I play maybe two to three hours over the week, and about the same for the weekend. I'm just finding new releases being too long and tedious (too much needless filler).

My next mission is to find a NES 101 model (top loading) and find some of the classics.

facelike

I spend most of the time trying to improve myself, hobbies, work and writing while try to keep games to a minimum.

That being said.......XCOM 2 is the game. Using the LW2 mod and will play for a couple hours a week, completing a couple missions. Since you can save and restore in mid mission, I just play till I fall asleep.

SpartanN92

Banned
My most anticipated game in over a year (Halo Wars 2) is currently being played by my buddy whom I let download my XBL account because I cannot find 5 freaking minutes to play it so someone might as well get the satisfaction :p

I go to school Tuesday/Thursday 15 Credit Hours
I work a full 40 Hours per week and any inkling of free time I have is spent wedding planning/wedding shopping with my Fiancé.

Occasionally I can manage maybe 1 or 2 games of Warzone in Halo 5.

Same thing that happened to you happened with my nephew/friend too. He's been giving me advice/encouragement on how to get back into playing them... I believe it can happen because I'm obviously still very interested in them, and I do feel my current routine is a bit too dull... but habits are hard

Also I think I need to get into the multiplayer/online aspect of gaming, which I never got into. I think part of my addiction to GAF is the "social interaction" aspect, that is completely lacking in the games I play.

Yeah, I think that is mainly an "habit" problem as you said. Maybe go for the multiplayer aspect. In my case, it was shifting for home consoles to handhelds that really broke that routine.

Yeah, a participant with a gaming pc with 2099 games on Steam and 650 games on GOG, a Vive headset, a PS4 Pro, a Vita with 2 full 64GB cards, a 3DSXL, and in a few weeks a Switch.

But since I don't play 20hrs a week I'm a participant.

how about you are an enthusiast of collecting video games

who says 20 a week, op says 5. that's really very little time to spend on something you consider yourself to be an enthusiast in, would take you half a year to finish a game like Nioh

Top Bottom