• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone here gaming for less than 5 hours a week?

Coxy100

Banned
Yep - wife and daughter take my time up now. That's life!

Miss gaming, but couldn't change it for the world.

Having said all of that I'm hoping to sneak in an hour tonight whilst my wife is out jogging and daughter is asleep...

I play about 5 to 10 hours a week, depending on the week.

My wife and daughter take my time mostly. I also have other hobbies like Music, Sports...

I play short burst games like Titanfall 2, Street Fighter V, Driveclub, Trackmania Turbo and some Gears of War 4 these days.

This is one of the reasons why i can't wait for the Switch. Since it's a hybrid, i can take it with me anywhere and from that, i'm gonna get more game time !

maxmars

Less than that, I usually put in an hour twice a week, playing some mp title (R6 Siege or Titanfall 2).

I may play another hour together with one of my kids, e.g. the little one has been playing Day Of The Tentacle and I provided some tips, but having sold all of our Nintendo consoles to make space for two Switch(es?), local mp doesn't take place as often.

But this will change in March! Mwahahaha

shaowebb

Depends on the week. My shift rotates and the first 17 days on my rotation is pretty rough with it only trailing off towards the latter 3 weeks.

jennetics

Probably playing 2 hours a week if I'm lucky. Been going to the gym more, plus work has me staying late with meetings and other crazy stuff.

Just picked up Cyber Sleuth yesterday, so I'm hoping to get some decent playtime with it soon.

My game time pretty much hinges on how much free time I end up with on the weekends, because during the work week, 5 hours is about the maximum I can get in. Between full time work, trying to go to the gym, hanging out with friends, and spending time with the wife, there's not much time left in the week.

JJH

I'll echo the others and say barley five a month. Work, family and social life, plus the weather is actually becoming decent. If I game five hours or more in a week I would feel guilty for being unproductive.

Aces&Eights

One of the few great things about getting old is the kid goes to college and the days of hitting the bars, etc grows stale. I typically get home from work around 5 and make a quick bite to eat. Game from 5ish to 8ish. Catch up on giant bomb stuff, watch some vids on youtube then hit the sack around 930.

I've even got a gal who prefers to hang around the house over running around in public. It took some time but I've got her interested in my games so she likes to lay around on Saturday and watch me play while she streams Netflix on her laptop.

I'm not rich or important but I'll take my laid back life any day of the week.

Rezae

My typical schedule is maybe an hour or two (if any) after work in the evening before seeing GF most nights. Weekends I rarely play unless I have my daughter, in which case we've been primarily playing through retro titles together.

My last "binge" was FF15. Wasn't around the GF much that week, and raced through it pretty quickly after work each night. I can't see many scenarios where I'm playing through a full RPG (or other lengthy title) these days unless it's on a handheld. My gaming time per week is probably less than a tenth of what it was when I was in my early 20s.

The time I spend on GAF though...

Servbot24

Banned
I play under an hour a week unless I get a new game, in which case I might play it a couple hours over the weekend. Bought Gravity Rush 2 day 1 and am around 6 hours in so far.

Only 5 hours into FFXV :(

_Rob_

Most of the time (unless there's something that I'm determined to finish). If I have spare time and aren't working on my own game development I start to feel like I'm wasting time.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Interestingly enough, and I never thought I'd say this, but mobile games. Alto (a pick up and play snowboarding game) and Fire Emblem mobile. Both solid time wasters when I get home from work and am physically unwilling to move from the couch.

I probably game 2 hours a week at this point (despite having every current generation system and dozens of games in my back-cat).

Jhoan

*Raises hand* It's by choice. I'm single, freelance, and work from home and while I have time to game, I choose not to because it's addicting. I'm thankful that I don't have any of the current gen consoles because then I really wouldn't have a social life. I plugged in something like 60+ hours into Dragon Quest 7 and I'm nowhere near done so I put it down indefinitely. As a result, I spend more time using my laptop.

Macchiato

Yeah, I have a full time job (in the game industry) and live in a busy city and am married, so not much gaming time. I play single player experiences. Recently it was the Witcher, now it's FFXV, and very soon it will be Zelda!

redcrayon

If so, what do you play?

Also, congrats on the job, s.o., or kid.
I chip away at RPGs on the portables, in anything from 15 minute chunks at bedtime to hour-long chunks on my commute. Sleep modes and pause/resume is the only way I really get through games any more. Getting married and having a job didn't affect my hobbies that much, becoming a parent did. I think it'll get a bit easier with time though.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I game for as many hours when free as my wife does reading e-books. Sometimes, that's only a few hours, sometimes, that's over 100 hours.

Pretty much whatever I feel won't land me in a divorce lawyer's office.

Ensoul

If so, what do you play?

Play black ops 3 since it is not too involved and I can just pick up and play. Been playing a little tomb raider but that is slow going.

Two kids, a wife and a job. My daughter has dance times 6 times a week, night and my son's has basketball four times a week between two teams he is on. I also coach two basketball teams. I sometimes play at night but not often since I go to bed around 10:00.

Almost over though and things slow down in the spring. Will be nice because this has been my life since November.

It's not that I don't want to game more. The reality is that there are a lot of cool things I want to do. Beating a game is a commitment and it's very easy for me to not stick to playing when there are hundreds of other things competing for my attention.

EhoaVash

I play like less than a hour (a week) of super smash bros 4 online in for glory mode usually before bed.

It helps relieve some stress thats mostly it

when I'm home most of the time I'm too tired to do anything, just wanna sleep. I tried playing games during the afternoon couple of time during weekend but I just fell asleep after few minutes. I blame having to wake up every day at 5am/ it has become my routine even when I could sleep in I wake up too early and can't fall asleep.so later in the day 4pm ish 5pmsh I'm just too sleepy

But usually when a game that I anticipate for years like (re7, FFXv, or the new Zelda ) come out I usually get them when they come out and atleast play a hour a day till I beat the main story ( I tend to avoid side quests)

But games like these rarely come out so most of the time I just read about them until they do in gaf lol

And no I'm not married etc single 22

farisr

If so, what do you play?
usually like 10-20 minutes of sfv doing the dailies, 2 hours of a local multiplayer game when friends are over (usually cod or rocket league), and the rest on a game that I'm playing through. Right now it's gravity Rush remastered.
I wish. LOL.

Despite having a ton of free time, Health issues prevent me from playing for too long.

daveo42

Banned
It's usually when there's a break between games I really want to play. I tend to watch a few movies or catch up on some TV shows. I finished up Gravity Rush 2 about a week ago and am now working my way through all of the Clone Wars TV show. Also got to see Arrival last night.

yyr

I probably have been doing < 5 hrs console gaming per week these days. It's mostly because I'm developing my own games, so the majority of my free time goes towards that instead. My backlog is long enough that it spans multiple generations. These days, I usually buy games to support the devs more than to actually play them.

I play 1-3 hours a week of In The Groove 2 (arcade) because that's my workout, as it and DDR have been for the last 15+ years. I always make time for it.

I've also been playing King of Thieves on mobile and Pocket Card Jockey on 3DS.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Usually I don't spend more than 5 hours per week. Mostly because I don't feel like bothering.

This week was an exception. Reduced hours at work + feeling like crap + Nioh = Lots of playing Nioh.

Moobabe

I'd say I top out at 10/15 hours a week at the most.

Usually an hour a night - and usually just FIFA with my mates. Slowly chipping away at Shadowrun: Dragonfall when no one is online though.

It's the commute that does it for me though, don't get home until 7.30 at the earliest these days :(

PrimeBeef

Currently I am laid off for the winter which means I spend a lot of my free time playing games when not doing house work and cooking. However when I do work it's usually 6 days a week 12 hour days, so I only get in my 4 hours of raiding in WoW during the week. But usually it's WoW, and if I feel up to it on Sundays, I would nibble a way at previous big games that I have not finished yet.

LordofPwn

Sometimes I have breaks where I don't really feel like playing anything or get so busy I have no time to play. Other times I sink like 4-6 hours a day and more on non-work days.

When in doubt I usually fall back to Rocket League/Overwatch/Destiny on limited game time weeks. Hoping to get back to my backlog in late April/May

Norse

I'm still very interested in gaming however it's very rare that a game really grabs me like the old days. I love RPGs but these tend to really require longer gaming sessions that I just don't have time for these days. I game less than 5 hrs per month.

kdoll08

Not much more than that. I play Hot Shots Golf on Vita/PS3 for about 30-45 minutes 6 days a week for a weekly tournament that they run. This is usually what I do to unwind after work most days and I can turn on ESPN at the same time. Occasionally after the GF goes to beds I get some more time in but I'm usually tired from the kids and 2 jobs so a lot of times it's easier to just watch a movie or TV show. I find that I go back to familiar games now a days. I'm currently replaying Zelda ALBW for the third time and slowly playing Dragon Quest 8 on 3DS so I have a feeling the switch will be good for my playing habits after work.

Typically 1-2 hours a night, on gym nights none unless it's on my phone. The only time I put in more than that is if I'm heavy into a game, like I am now with Nioh.

I do usually put in 8-10 on most weekends though unless my wife and I have plans.

RMI

Banned
I'm probably playing less than 5 hours a week.

Lately I've been playing Project Diva Future Tone and Fire Emblem Fates. Both games work well in short bursts.

I also play about 4 hours a week of tabletop boardgames and RPGs though. I just haven't had a lot of time for video games lately.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The wife and I moved into an apartment last November and because of Thanksgiving, Christmas and our wedding in January we're still working on getting boxes unpacked and ordering furniture. All of my consoles have been packed up since October of last year so the only gaming I have available to me is my 3DS and PSP, and unfortunately I don't play as much of them as I used to.

ithorien

Lately it's just life responsibilities or just fatigue from work carrying into my evenings that forces my game time to dwindle. I can't seem to focus on anything in particular some days, and having as many games to choose from, as we all typically have to do nowadays, is exhausting in itself.

I think perhaps Horizon will get some priority time from me, but only time will tell..

deviant1

Job, wife, and an 8 month old son, I'm lucky if I get even 5 hours a week. Only thing I really play for the last 2+ years is Destiny but I may start clearing out that backlog soon.

There's really only 2 times where I get to game nowadays:
- I have a day off and my kid is at daycare
- My wife goes to bed early and I have enough energy to play a bit

Melchiah

I've already played more than that this week. Played Destiny before the tuesday's "fix", and completed Dear Esther and Firewatch afterwards. The joys of living in separate apartments, and not having kids, at 41 years of age. The former might change at some point, but the latter most likely won't.

Kinda depeds, some times I don't game at all or sometimes I will play like 5 hours after work but I have a fulltime job, GF, and a dog in an apartment that need frequent walks so that usually cuts into a large amount of my time lol.

Top Bottom