• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: Tom Brady's 'Deflategate' appeal rejected by federal court

Status
Not open for further replies.
My interest is most piqued by people who are happy with this decision and yet bemoan the control that business owners have over union labor.

Anybody who is planning to vote for Hillary Clinton this November and yet is pleased with the outcome of Deflategate has to rectify the contradiction of how they can support a business owner withholding ~25% of an employee's annual salary for something that they admit in their own report that they have no evidence linking a player to something that they admit in their own report have no evidence actually happened.

The answer to the contradiction is that "we're brainless fans who happily hand over labor power if that means our least favorite team has a slightly higher chance of losing a football game."

My own opinion is that the courts are right because the NFLPA bartered a terrible deal with the owners. Brady, per the CBA, should serve his suspension, and the NFLPA and the League have created an environment where the commissioner can withhold pay from employees for no reason, and that's that. Tough cookies NFLPA.

I agree that the NFL didn't prove that Tom cheated, but does anyone really think he didn't? This is like 4 millionth on the list of reasons to boycott the NFL. The Pats got preferential treatment for spygate and have whooped on the other teams for years. When that happens, you have to expect the other side to come at you hard.

But when you come at the king, you best not miss and the other 31 owners are in for a shit storm of Patriots retribution.
Just like last season right?

My interest is most piqued by people who are happy with this decision and yet bemoan the control that business owners have over union labor.

Anybody who is planning to vote for Hillary Clinton this November and yet is pleased with the outcome of Deflategate has to rectify the contradiction of how they can support a business owner withholding ~25% of an employee's annual salary for something that they admit in their own report that they have no evidence linking a player to something that they admit in their own report have no evidence actually happened.

The answer to the contradiction is that "we're brainless fans who happily hand over labor power if that means our least favorite team has a slightly higher chance of losing a football game."

My own opinion is that the courts are right because the NFLPA bartered a terrible deal with the owners. Brady, per the CBA, should serve his suspension, and the NFLPA and the League have created an environment where the commissioner can withhold pay from employees for no reason, and that's that. Tough cookies NFLPA.

most people don't view this as union vs. corporation

It's stupid sexy Brady vs them

but yea, NFLPA did this to themselves

Draxal

I'm a Giants fan, so I'm predisposed to hate the Cowboys and Washington Racists over the Patriots (divisional rivals). The Redskins and Cowboys got screwed hard in the uncapped year, and nobody gave a fuck. This is nothing and Kraft supported that 100%.

KyroLen

Neo Member

Sure, if they don't face the insane amount of injuries they had last year.

I mean, that team was decimated with injury to key players and still got to the AFC Championship, so I don't understand your point? They clearly aren't weak.

Ducarmel

I can understand that point, the CBA they signed was just stupid on the NFLPA's part.

Still, it doesn't mean that the right thing happened here and it's just frustrating. Not just as a Patriot fan, but in the sense that under the current agreement anyone can be charged with anything and suspended based on little-to-no evidence.

This is why I can't help but laugh at the other fanbases treating this like a thing to celebrate over. It's not. This just means if someone one their team crosses the NFL or Goodell the wrong way, he can make up some stupid penalty against them and theres nothing that can be done to stop it. Even Bountygate was mostly crap.

I agree it's bs that the NFL can do this, all we really can hope for at this point is hope the media, fans, and some owners put pressure on Goodell office to be fair. In the case of Brady though I think the other owners got to Goodell and forced him to come down hard on the Patriots and brady.

Sure, if they don't face the insane amount of injuries they had last year.

I mean, that team was decimated with injury to key players and still got to the AFC Championship, so I don't understand your point? They clearly aren't weak.
"Injuries" that's a weak excuse in the NFL. My point is they aren't the champs, didn't even make the super bowl so they aren't the "king" of anything.

Cornbread78

I will laugh so hard if this goes to The Supreme Court.

Start laughing because I highly doubt the NFLPA is going to stop here considering the true facts and implications of the situation.

This ruling basically confirms that Goddell can literally take a $hit in a players locker, tell him to eat it and if he doesn't fire him for insubordination.

hyperbole? Yes! Facts of the matter? Yes.... You get the idea. Goddell can literally do anything he so chooses at this point with no fear of anything from the NFLPA. Talk about a God complex...

Start laughing because I highly doubt the NFLPA is going to stop here considering the true facts and implications of the situation.

This ruling basically confirms that Goddell can literally take a $hit in a players locker, tell him to eat it and if he doesn't fire him for insubordination.

hyperbole? Yes! Facts of the matter? Yes.... You get the idea. Goddell can literally do anything he so chooses at this point with no fear of anything from the NFLPA. Talk about a God complex...
If the players don't like it then they should get better representation for them at the next contract talks. They can only blame themselves because they allowed Goodell to have so much power over them.

Cornbread78

If the players don't like it then they should get better representation for them at the next contract talks. They can only blame themselves because they allowed Goodell to have so much power over them.

No doubt. They have, by far, the weakest union in all of sports. I guess they had no idea of the scope of that line gave Goodell though, now that it is coming into practice, they are fully realizing how badly they screwed up.

Coverup is worse than the crime.

Yea, Patriots blew it up for no reason.

If the Pat's or Brady just went, "Hey, we don't know what happened, we take the integrity of the game very seriously. I tell the people who prep my balls to be XYZ, if they were doing something that was against the rules, that was never what I intended. We'll take responsibility for what ever the rule violation says.

Instead they make a giant press conference, announce they are innocent and force the NFL's hand into this witch hunt.

There is only one place the NFLPA can go and that's completely out of their hands. Plus, it's super unlikely that the Supreme Court is going to overrule a collectively-bargained contract because they think one punishment is a bit excessive.

Unfortunately, the NFLPA is weak. And despite how much they'd love to remove Goodell's power, they have several other important things to negotiate for that have a more direct effect on their union as a whole, like their terrible contracts and a lifetime of medical liabilities.

They are not going to get independent arbitration. The owners will not stand for that for one second. And, if they do, they are going to have to eat shit on other things to get it.

jmood88

I still can't believe how shitty the new CBA is for the players. The only people who benefit are quarterbacks and anyone who hates practice. Aside from that, rookies and non-QB's get screwed over as much as possible.

If the Pat's or Brady just went, "Hey, we don't know what happened, we take the integrity of the game very seriously. I tell the people who prep my balls to be XYZ, if they were doing something that was against the rules, that was never what I intended. We'll take responsibility for what ever the rule violation says.

Instead they make a giant press conference, announce they are innocent and force the NFL's hand into this witch hunt.

I mean, I agree that the NFL has too much power over punishments and player control. However, the players union agreed to this.

Additionally, the denials, the destroyed phones, not cooperating, etc. It all lead to a severe punishment.

JABEE

This is the most ridiculous thing ever with the most obvious conclusion ever.

The NFL is suspending one of the greatest QBs of all-time for a cheating offense that is barely fine-worthy and they couldn't even definitively prove who did what.

But, the fact is, Goodell is fully within his right to do it. The NFLPA is the worst union in sports, by far. Non-guaranteed contracts and crazy medical liability in a league that basically prints money. They need to get their shit in order.

The Patriots are a cheating team that deserves no recognition for the past 16 seasons.

Goodell "threw the book" as best he could at Brady and the Pats this time because of all the other cheating. The Pats made him look like a fool when he burned their evidence for him and he was grilled before Congress.

It's like Al Capone getting hit with tax evasion charges rather than the killing and racketeering.

highrider

Banned
Whats pathetic is someone being suspended based off little-to-no evidence whatsoever, spending millions on a report that gets destroyed under scrutiny. What's pathetic is beating a spouse gets less games then this violation, that similar equipment violations have only ever held a fine with no suspensions.

This whole thing is complete bull, and anyone that supports it I have to think has some mental deficiency.

Haha, this is great.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I mean, I agree that the NFL has too much power over punishments and player control. However, the players union agreed to this.

Additionally, the denials, the destroyed phones, not cooperating, etc. It all lead to a severe punishment.

Sssh, conversations that aren't about PSi and temperature are not allowed.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The counter argument that Brady didn't cheat and that they went after him out of jealousy and spite is far more delusional than simply believing that where there is smoke there's fire.

jmood88

Whats pathetic is someone being suspended based off little-to-no evidence whatsoever, spending millions on a report that gets destroyed under scrutiny. What's pathetic is beating a spouse gets less games then this violation, that similar equipment violations have only ever held a fine with no suspensions.

This whole thing is complete bull, and anyone that supports it I have to think has some mental deficiency.
Yeah, Goodell shouldn't have so much power but Brady will get his vacation, the Patriots will run through the weak-ass AFC East as always, and life will move on.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
This will bite the owners come next CBA.

They proved nothing, but still gave a huge fine for basically being caught being full of shit and leaking bad info.

They fucked up, and then tried to save face by not backing down. Goddell is your typical school yard bully who won't back down even when he's wrong.

...and all this Deflategate bullshit has done is to drown out the noise from all the concussion deflecting and generally fuckery done by the NFL to hide the findings or change the findings on the effects of concussions.

I have to disagree with 'for no reason' The Patriots had a very good reason to deny everything at first, especially after their presser was after Mort published a completely incorrect, salacious story. His story came out the week before the Super Bowl and let's say that Brady got up and said "I tell the ball boys to take the balls after the refs check them and let out air" (even if this is untrue) then he would have been suspended from the SUper Bowl, Seattle would have blown out New England.

Their motive in trying to hide details/argue against Mort's factually wrong article for 2 weeks is that they want arguably the greater player in NFL history to be playing in the biggest game of the year.

I also think that Brady's defense is pretty similar to what you wrote, except "XYZ" is "league minimum PSI."

Well... it's not like the Patriots were bad last season. Their record-setting kicker missed an extra point and they lost to the eventual super bowl champs. Compare this to the team that alleged the Patriots deflated footballs, the Colts, who had their worst season in 4 years, missed the playoffs in the easiest division in the NFL.

Quotient

That press-conference was right after Mort's infamous tweet which blew the story up - the Patriots had no option but to respond.

The Patriots are a cheating team that deserves no recognition for the past 16 seasons.

Goodell "threw the book" as best he could at Brady and the Pats this time because of all the other cheating. The Pats made him look like a fool when he burned their evidence for him and he was grilled before Congress.

It's like Al Capone getting hit with tax evasion charges rather than the killing and racketeering.

As far as I'm concerned, every team cheats. I'd gladly trade the cheating tag for just one Super Bowl win.

Former (briefly) Eagles QB Jef Blake said it happens every week.

"I'm just going to let the cat of the bag, every team does it, every game, it has been since I played,... Cause when you take the balls out of the bag, they are rock hard. And you can't feel the ball as well. It's too hard."

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/01/needles_on_sidelines_former_jets_qb_jeff_blake_had.html

Bread

Banned
At this point Brady just needs to say "Obviously I didn't do it, the science agrees, but I'm done with this bullshit. I'm going to set records for a 12 game season." Just let Garoppolo have his shot and move on.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The counter argument that Brady didn't cheat and that they went after him out of jealousy and spite is far more delusional than simply believing that where there is smoke there's fire.

Look at this magnificent thread though. Just look at it!

TyrantII

LOL at any assclown who thinks that Brady got caught cheating.

There is literally no evidence, there is nothing, and this is a bunch of bullshit. Anyone supporting this is just jealous of a winning QB or just downright pathetic. If you support Gooddell you need your god damn head checked.

Yup. Remember that NFL study on ball pressure last season that was quietly buried without the results released.

At this point it's about the NFLPA vs NFL and Goodell saving face. It's also a terrible precedent for the teams and players.

Brady has his haters gloating now, but their team easily could be next, on the whim of a zealous commissioner or faction within the front office.

Greg

I have to disagree with 'for no reason' The Patriots had a very good reason to deny everything at first, especially after their presser was after Mort published a completely incorrect, salacious story. His story came out the week before the Super Bowl and let's say that Brady got up and said "I tell the ball boys to take the balls after the refs check them and let out air" (even if this is untrue) then he would have been suspended from the SUper Bowl, Seattle would have blown out New England.
except the offense is a fine

until you run the issue into the ground at the expense of the NFL
Compare this to the team that alleged the Patriots deflated footballs, the Colts, who had their worst season in 4 years, missed the playoffs in the easiest division in the NFL.
and all of that has what to do with another team cheating?

Let's add to that, a simulink (MATLAB/Stateflow) model

eLyPWLB.png

After running the simulation... "it seems pretty obvious that the Patriots didn't cheat."

(and this was using Mort's incorrect, lower than the actual numbers)

except the offense is a fine

until you run the issue into the ground at the expense of the NFL

and all of that has what to do with another team cheating?

Nah, the other guy was implying that since Deflategate, the Patriots had a bad season or something. I was saying, no, they still had a great season, especially if you compare them to the team that they crushed when the Deflategate issue broke.

As for the Patriots running it into the ground, that's insane. Kraft fully complied, came out and said he'd support the NFL in their findings, and then the NFL handed down the harshest punishment they've ever handed to any organization. The Patriots complied, the Wells Report said that the Patriots and Belichick didn't do anything wrong, and then Goddell, even though his own investigator said the organization did nothing wrong and complied, handed the harshest punishment for anything in league history.

Also the offense wasn't a fine ... Draft picks + biggest fine in NFL history. And 2 weeks before the super bowl nobody has any idea what the league would do... THey still didn't even when they gave the ruling. Even though the Wells Report absolved the team from wrong doing, they still got a massive fine and lost draft picks, so obviously the league has the power to punish teams and players regardless of any precedent or actual wrong doing.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Guess that's it then.

Get accused of cheating, investigation funds nothing, get punished anyways. Screw the NFL, and I hope the players association realizes what and awful precedence this case sets, as it basically strips them of all power.

Tripon

Yup. Remember that NFL study on ball pressure last season that was quietly buried without the results released.

At this point it's about the NFLPA vs NFL and Goodell saving face. It's also a terrible precedent for the teams and players.

Brady has his haters gloating now, but their team easily could be next, on the whim of a zealous commissioner or faction within the front office.
I keep on seeing this "their fav team might be next" argument implying that Brady was the first time Goodell and his office gave out a harsh penalty for each transgression that happened under his reign.

It's not, from Joey Porter, Bountygate, to the Redskins and Cowboys getting fined, to Tom Brady delategate.

There is a reason why the warning that it could have happened to your team is falling on deaf ears. Because it already happened to multiple teams.

It's as if the Pats fans don't understand that this has been the NFL way for years and it has finally caught them.

I keep on seeing this "their fav team might be next" argument implying that Brady was the first time Goodell and his office gave out a harsh penalty for each transgression that happened under his reign.

It's not, from Joey Porter, Bountygate, to the Redskins and Cowboys getting fined, to Tom Brady delategate.

There is a reason why the warning that it could have happened to your team is falling on deaf ears. Because it already happened to multiple teams.

It's as if the Pats fans don't understand that this has been the NFL way for years and it has finally caught them.

I agree. I didn't take the complaints seriously until it affected my team. And for that I'm sorry to teams like the saints and other teams that got screwed We should have known then.

Guess that's it then.

Get accused of cheating, investigation funds nothing, get punished anyways. Screw the NFL, and I hope the players association realizes what and awful precedence this case sets, as it basically strips them of all power.

If by precedence you mean something that we've seen happen multiple times to other teams in the past few years then yeah, terrible precedent.

jmood88

I agree. I didn't take the complaints seriously until it affected my team. And for that I'm sorry to teams like the saints. We should have known then.
We tried to tell y'all that Goodell wasn't to be trusted to carefully mete out punishment but oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom