• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AP: Tom Brady's 'Deflategate' appeal rejected by federal court

Status
Not open for further replies.

marq_roq

Neo Member
Everyone really angry about this should boycott.

If the people in here really are as fed up with Goodell and the League as they claim to be, they should stop watching.

But we know they won't. They'll just whine on Internet forums and commiserate with Bill Simmons and Ben Affleck.
I did. Fed up with Goodell and not just because of this. Players should go on strike. It could be any one of them next. Hope the next lockout lasts an eternity or until Goodell gets ousted.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
The counter argument that Brady didn't cheat and that they went after him out of jealousy and spite is far more delusional than simply believing that where there is smoke there's fire.
We're about two years past any sane person actually giving a shit about whether he cheated or not. Whether you believe he cheated or didn't, do you believe that a.) the punishment was fitting, and b.) that Goodell should be allowed to judge his own arbitration rulings?

TheFatOne

Guess that's it then.

Get accused of cheating, investigation funds nothing, get punished anyways. Screw the NFL, and I hope the players association realizes what and awful precedence this case sets, as it basically strips them of all power.

Not going to happen. The NFLPA is garbage. Unless they suddenly removed everyone for competent people they are going to just have to eat shit.

Big-E

Goodell is such a tool. Basically bred to be commissioner and continues to make brain dead decisions that "Hurts the shield", the one thing he thinks he is the most important. His only legacy will be his TV deals, but those are pretty much the easiest things to negotiate as you have every network ready to slobber up whatever you say.

We're about two years past any sane person actually giving a shit about whether he cheated or not. Whether you believe he cheated or didn't, do you believe that a.) the punishment was fitting, and b.) that Goodell should be allowed to judge his own arbitration rulings?

A. Not long enough. Lifetime ban and wipe him off the books Lance Armstrong-style. The pats can keep their trophies, like, good job beating Jake fucking Delhomme, but it will be as though Tom Brady never existed.

B. Utterly ridiculous, and the NFLPA should be forever mocked for allowing that to transpire via relinquishing power during CBA negotiations.

Greg

As for the Patriots running it into the ground, that's insane. Kraft fully complied, came out and said he'd support the NFL in their findings, and then the NFL handed down the harshest punishment they've ever handed to any organization. The Patriots complied, the Wells Report said that the Patriots and Belichick didn't do anything wrong, and then Goddell, even though his own investigator said the organization did nothing wrong and complied, handed the harshest punishment for anything in league history.

Also the offense wasn't a fine ... Draft picks + biggest fine in NFL history. And 2 weeks before the super bowl nobody has any idea what the league would do... THey still didn't even when they gave the ruling. Even though the Wells Report absolved the team from wrong doing, they still got a massive fine and lost draft picks, so obviously the league has the power to punish teams and players regardless of any precedent or actual wrong doing.
I think the initial timeline went Brady's denial on radio, Belichick's denial presser, Brady's denial presser, and then Kraft

the base fine for the offense was something low like 20k... you don't think they could've spun an acceptance that would've kept them towards the base punishment?

"the equipment team knows I like the pressure on the low end - never my intention to play with balls outside of the rules - I'm sorry"

instead they played dumb

Broank

Could Brady file a defamation suit next?

The whole thing, how it started, how it played out is just bizarre. The NFLs leaking lies to the media and phone red herring really seemed to do the trick. Even that judge seemed to be hung up on that stuff which I think really took the NLPA lawyers by surprise. Especially after the first judge tore apart the ruling and lambasted the league/Goodell for their conduct.

Blader

The thing that always me amused about this case was the "Tom Brady ordered his phones destroyed" line, and the mental image of Brady commanding some lowly minion of his to begin crushing his iPhones.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The thing that always me amused about this case was the "Tom Brady ordered his phones destroyed" line, and the mental image of Brady commanding some lowly minion of his to begin crushing his iPhones.

For me it was gaf patriot fans diligently and credulously explaining that it's "normal" for celebrities to destroy their phones on a regular cadence.

Because it is?

It was too much of a coincidence.

Brady cheated, tried to cover it up (which is always worse than the crime itself) and now is crying about it,

Had he just come out and admitted it I don't think anyone would care, but when you're the patriots and you were already the perpetrators of spy gate, you have to be extra careful.

I just want this thing to be over with already.

Big-E

It was too much of a coincidence.

Brady cheated, tried to cover it up (which is always worse than the crime itself) and now is crying about it,

Had he just come out and admitted it I don't think anyone would care, but when you're the patriots and you were already the perpetrators of spy gate, you have to be extra careful.

Did he cheat? Don't seem to remember that.

haimon

Just confirmation of how badly the NFLPA messed up during their last labor negotiations. All the evidence points to deflategate being nothing, but they gave the commissioner way, way too much power, it doesn't matter what the evidence shows. This is gonna be a major labor dispute when they collectively bargain again.
No, it's not and it shouldn't be a major issue for them.

This is something that affects 20 players a year.

The nflpa should be doing what's important for all the players not a handful.

spyder_ur

No, it's not and it shouldn't be a major issue for them.

This is something that affects 20 players a year.

The nflpa should be doing what's important for all the players not a handful.

The right to neutral arbitration absolutely affects 20 players a year, if not directly then indirectly.

Edit: Obviously I misread you here - sorry. I do think it will be an issue moving forward, though.

If by precedence you mean something that we've seen happen multiple times to other teams in the past few years then yeah, terrible precedent.
That's what makes this so delicious. Never heard anyone complaining when the Patriots unanimously gave Goodell the power. Never heard any complaints when he made up rules and then used them to fine James Harrison into oblivion, never heard any complaints when Dallas and Washington got fined into oblivion for the uncapped year, never heard anything when Goodell destroyed the Saints for Bountygate.

Now, NOW though, he has gone too far! Where are the tears for the New England Patriots? I mean, yeah Goodell burned the evidence to our wrongdoing in Spygate, effectively covering it up, but that was then! He's out to get us!

I keep on seeing this "their fav team might be next" argument implying that Brady was the first time Goodell and his office gave out a harsh penalty for each transgression that happened under his reign.

It's not, from Joey Porter, Bountygate, to the Redskins and Cowboys getting fined, to Tom Brady delategate.

There is a reason why the warning that it could have happened to your team is falling on deaf ears. Because it already happened to multiple teams.

It's as if the Pats fans don't understand that this has been the NFL way for years and it has finally caught them.

Bingo.

It's so strange to involve one of your biggest stars in a bullshit scandal like this. This is why David Stern is the goat. He had the good sense to sweep MJ's gambling an LeBron's HGH under the rug. Roger should have privately told Tom to knock that shot off and had him sit out a game or two with a strained shoulder or some shit.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I keep on seeing this "their fav team might be next" argument implying that Brady was the first time Goodell and his office gave out a harsh penalty for each transgression that happened under his reign.

It's not, from Joey Porter, Bountygate, to the Redskins and Cowboys getting fined, to Tom Brady delategate.
Please list the penalties here to show how ridiculous the Patriots' were.

They were fined double the amount the Saints were for Bountygate on top of the other punishments.

Also, Joey Porter? Jesus christ

It's so strange to involve one of your biggest stars in a bullshit scandal like this. This is why David Stern is the goat. He had the good sense to sweep MJ's gambling an LeBron's HGH under the rug. Roger should have privately told Tom to knock that shot off and had him sit out a game or two with a strained shoulder or some shit.

Agreed. Really, if this had been immediately handled with a fine like it was supposed to be, we're not here today still talking about this. It was a molehill made into a mountain by poor leadership from the NFL.

Repeat offenses tend to result in higher penalties.

To my knowledge, Tom Brady isn't a repeat offender for anything and the Well's Report did not fault the Patriots or their coach for any offense. So...

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Good. Stop trying to tie up the courts you fucking cheater. You cheated, you got caught. Live with the shame and move on.

Brady wasn't fined. The Patriots were. 1 million dollars and a lost draft pick.

that was my point. the team probably shouldn't have been fined because they were found not to be at fault. thus, they didn't become a "repeat offender" in the general sense. and Brady should have been fined and that should have been it because he wasn't a repeat offender. Unless Brady himself has a history of fines or suspensions that I'm unaware of which is possible. His punishment is very much something I'd expect someone who has aggregated multiple career offenses would have received. The rule book afaik calls for a fine in this situation. For a first time offender, why wouldn't that have been appropriate immediately and move on?

that was my point. the team probably shouldn't have been fined because they were found not to be at fault. thus, they didn't become a "repeat offender" in the general sense. and Brady should have been fined and that should have been it because he wasn't a repeat offender. Unless Brady himself has a history of fines or suspensions that I'm unaware of which is possible. His punishment is very much something I'd expect someone who has aggregated multiple career offenses would have received. The rule book afaik calls for a fine in this situation. For a first time offender, why wouldn't that have been appropriate immediately and move on?

Why are we divorcing Brady's actions and the actions of team employees from the Patriots? Last I checked Tom Brady played for New England, and the ball boys worked for New England.

bionic77

We finally got justice fam.

Cheater by the league, by public opinion and even all legal and shit by the courts.

Christmas came early for the righteous.

The counter argument that Brady didn't cheat and that they went after him out of jealousy and spite is far more delusional than simply believing that where there is smoke there's fire.

There is no proof of ball deflation. That's not an opinion either. So please tell me, what did he get penalized for?

NFL leaking false information to the media, forcing the Pats to respond to ridiculous psi numbers that had nothing to do with reality, running the shadiest "investigation" ever that couldn't even prove tampering, yet somehow the QB was aware of it. Aware of what?

I don't care what team you root for, if this is "justice" in your book, then you are just somebody who is pissed that the Pats win every year. And they will win their 11-12 games this year as well. But if it can happen to Pats, it will happen to someone else as well. It's not good for the teams or the players, if you can convict players with zero evidence and smear their name in the press while doing so. Just an outrageous story from start to finish.

JABEE

Please list the penalties here to show how ridiculous the Patriots' were.

They were fined double the amount the Saints were for Bountygate on top of the other punishments.

Also, Joey Porter? Jesus christ

The Saints lost their Super Bowl winning head coach, Sean Payton, for an entire season.

Their GM for 8 games.

Greg William's was indefinitely banned from the league. Multiple Pro Bowl players were suspended for more games than Brady was.

Bountygate penalties were much harsher than SpyGate or DeflateGate. It's not even close.

pgtl_10

This was expected. The original District Court ruling was faulty. It seemed like Patriot fan/Goodell hater made that ruling.

JABEE

Cheater by the league, by public opinion and even all legal and shit by the courts.

If only the punishment was greater. We can't penalize him for all the Pats cheating though. I wish we could.

Brady is a cheat. An official cheat. A sanctioned cheat by the greatest crook in Pro Sports outside of Foxboro. Goodell is so crooked you know he came from under Robert Kraft's guidance.

If you stand with Tom Brady and the Patriots, you stand with Donald Trump.

Think about that. We are on the right side of history.

bionic77

Pats fans would make for fantastic defense attorneys.

Unfortunately this country is governed by the rule of law. And Brady will forever be tainted as a cheater by all rational and reasonable people of the world. He gets to keep his rings and money but he won't have any respect outside of New England.

Justica!

Tom Brady's only crime was being too sexy. History will remember him right alongside the other great martyrs and heroes of our time such as Muhammad Ali and Martin Luther King Jr.

bionic77

Tom Brady's only crime was being too sexy. History will remember him right alongside the other great martyrs and heroes of our time such as Muhammad Ali and Martin Luther King Jr.
Comparing a cheating scumbag like Brady to MLK and Ali?

You need to lay off the drugs Ninja.

Pats fans would make for fantastic defense attorneys.

Unfortunately this country is governed by the rule of law. And Brady will forever be tainted as a cheater by all rational and reasonable people of the world. He gets to keep his rings and money but he won't have any respect outside of New England.

Justica!

If only the punishment was greater. We can't penalize him for all the Pats cheating though. I wish we could.

Brady is a cheat. An official cheat. A sanctioned cheat by the greatest crook in Pro Sports outside of Foxboro. Goodell is so crooked you know he came from under Robert Kraft's guidance.

If you stand with Tom Brady and the Patriots, you stand with Donald Trump.

Think about that. We are on the right side of history.

What's it like bring more obsessed with Brady and the Patriots then most pats fans are?

There is going to be a season long lock out next bargaining agreement. The players are not going to put up with Goodell's unlimited power and their lack of rights any longer. Especially considering where the league is financially and how much Baseball and Basketball has skyrocketed.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Yeah. The players are all going to rally around the euro guy who won't do commercials with football gear on and supports Trump. He's the tipping point for the new cba.

Yeah. The players are all going to rally around the euro guy who won't do commercials with football gear on and supports Trump. He's the tipping point for the new cba.

It isn't about Brady it's about the principal. Goodell has too much power is not going to be willing to give any of it up. I just have a feeling the next negotiations are going to be a disaster

bionic77

It isn't about Brady it's about the principal. Goodell has too much power is not going to be willing to give any of it up. I just have a feeling the next negotiations are going to be a disaster
This is not the NBA.

The players have almost no power in the NFL. Nothing is going to change. At best they can hope for a slightly bigger piece of the pie. The players don't give a fuck about control or what powers the commish has.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
This is not the NBA.

The players have almost no power in the NFL. Nothing is going to change. At best they can hope for a slightly bigger piece of the pie. The players don't give a fuck about control or what powers the commish has.

You think the players won't be really pissed that they can be accused, investigated, proven innocent, and punished anyways out of spite by the commissioner?

I don't think they've been hit in the head that hard.

I did. Fed up with Goodell and not just because of this. Players should go on strike. It could be any one of them next. Hope the next lockout lasts an eternity or until Goodell gets ousted.
They should go on strike because something they specifically collectively bargained to allow has repeatedly been implemented? Seems like a great idea.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet

Yeah. Because this shit didn't happen before Brady. Or before the last cba. It just never affected you, so you didn't give a fuck. But now it will change because it caught up some guy who isn't reflective of the rest of the league.

The truth of the matter is that 99% of the players don't care because they'll never get called to the principal's office. Sure, they'll hype it up during negotiations, just like last time. But the 99% would rather have money than to go on a prolonged strike to protect the 1%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom