• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apex 2012 | Fighting game tournament | January 6-8

Snakeyes

And not to start another "Nintendo for teh kiddies" derail but the players look young, and the stream chat is very... immature even for streamchat standards.

You're right, though it's understandable. The scene has been around for only 10 years and Brawl splitting the community and pushing some of the older heads to retire didn't help either.

Azure J

Real talk, I took to like 4 or so characters right off the bat in Melee. Marth, Peach, Dr. Mario & Ganon. Seeing good play of any of these guys will always put a smile on my face. Kage's Ganon was sick.

Also, stream chat is amazing:

"MewtwoKing is fraaaay to Master Balls"

God I wish I was there...

Whats worse is I can't even watch it cause I'm at work.

I clicked on it for a few seconds though and it appears the quality is top notch. :)

El Sloth

Banned
Stream monsters going in
XXvvv.jpg

Ahh Gahtzu beat Copycat. Basically confirms that its PC+Gahtzu making it out.

Crazy to think a player like Copycat won't make it out of round 1 pools xD

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Played Smash Bros like once, my first watch of a Smash Bros tourney...I'm actually enjoying this.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Anybody have a clue what rules were used for Pokemon? Kind of interested in reading the results if there's any kind of archive.

EDIT: Seems they used both Smogon OU and VGC 2012. Nice. I need to get back into it when I find the time.

USD

This is the last major tournament before Meta Knight is banned, so as you can see on stream, this will be a Meta Knight festival.

Just tuned in again for a bit, but I have to say that the finals yesterday were so weird. It was over in 53 seconds and it kinda reminded me of Jago vs Ross at Barfights. Totally not what I was expecting.

I'm looking forward to some more smash today though.

Wait, there are only 32 entrants for SF 2012 and 57 for UMvC3? (according to the registered players list page http://apexsmash.com/registration/list.php

Surprising than this is a part of the EVO tournament series. I could imagine some select east coast players making out to this and just take SF and UMvC3 free.

EDIT: Yeah, didn't know Apex is generally considered a Smash tournament.......

Wait, there are only 32 entrants for SF 2012 and 57 for UMvC3? (according to the registered players list page http://apexsmash.com/registration/list.php

Surprising than this is a part of the EVO tournament series. I could imagine some select east coast players making out to this and just take SF and UMvC3 free.

EDIT: Yeah, didn't know Apex is generally considered a Smash tournament.......

No, there are way more entrants for SF and Marvel than that. 32 and 57 are how many registered online. Most entrants registered at the door for the 2D fighters.

But still, yeah, this is mostly a smash tournament. There are 410 entrants for Brawl and 331 for Melee (only cause Melee was relegated to Friday, a work day, and Brawl got Saturday...). Plus the fighting game people, the spectators, and pokemon people, I'd say there are 1200+ ppl in the venue. Maybe even more spectators than that since I know entrants got capped..

It'll probably end up as the biggest tournament of the EVO season. Just not for the games actually at EVO lol.

Top Bottom