• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apex 2012 | Fighting game tournament | January 6-8

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
at risk of sounding like a stream chat monster, when are they planning on streaming marvel?
Wondering this too.. patiently waiting for Marvel because that's all I plan to watch this weekend.

EDIT: Looking at the schedule right now.. are they seriously 4+ hours behind?

inb4kidscantruntournaments

Wondering this too.. patiently waiting for Marvel because that's all I plan to watch this weekend.

EDIT: Looking at the schedule right now.. are they seriously 4+ hours behind?

inb4kidscantruntournaments
I switched to FrostyFaustings for a bit. Smash is fun, but I don't want to go overboard so I'll come back to it later.

This is the first time I'm watching Guilty Gear on stream too. Such an awesome stream monstering weekend!
You mean other than the logistical nightmare that The Crimson Blur posted it would be for the EVO staff?
I'm sure he was talking about the game itself, not the extraneous stuff like equipment and what have you. It's not like most people ever cite that stuff when you ask them about Smash and EVO...

Crimson was the first person to give a good answer on the subject.

You mean other than the logistical nightmare that The Crimson Blur posted it would be for the EVO staff?

No, that shouldn't really matter. If a popular Capcom game had the same issues standing in the way, I seriously doubt the staff wouldn't find a way to solve every problem.

There's a scene that wants to play a fighting game. The EVO staff should be making that happen, not making excuses about why it's too hard or too much work. Organizing a tournament as large as EVO already sounds like a pain in the butt, what use is there talking about why one game adds to that?

"Excuses, excuses," basically.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I switched to FrostyFaustings for a bit. Smash is fun, but I don't want to go overboard so I'll come back to it later.

This is the first time I'm watching Guilty Gear on stream too. Such an awesome stream monstering weekend!
Yeah I don't have much free time this weekend so I can't stream monster like I would for normal majors, so thankfully there's not that much Marvel anyways. If I get the time I want to check out Smash Singles Top 8.

Just checked out the stream your talking about.. this is my first time stream monstering GG too and it's pretty awesome. Shout outs to animayyyyyyyyyyyyy.

No, that shouldn't really matter. If a popular Capcom game had the same issues standing in the way, I seriously doubt the staff wouldn't find a way to solve every problem.

There's a scene that wants to play a fighting game. The EVO staff should be making that happen, not making excuses about why it's too hard or too much work. Organizing a tournament as large as EVO already sounds like a pain in the butt, what use is there talking about why one game adds to that?

Yeah I chalk a lot of it up to ignorance on EVO's part. They look at it all in absolutes, it's completely possible to make it work out. The IPL (or was it MLG?) guy who was on the eSports/FGC podcast had the right idea, there is ALWAYS a way to make it work, and if your too ignorant to figure it out, you should do like that guy and hire people out from the community to do what you are incapable of doing.

I mean, I get what you're saying, but what do you want them to do? They are already renting out a humongous ballroom for the ever growing SF/Marvel community...you want them to rent out another ballroom to accommodate? Cause thats what it would take...

I'm sure there is a way, but in the end, I think the rift between the communities is enough for them not to give a shit. So smash will continue to do its thing, and the FGC will do its thing.

El Sloth

Banned

See, but it does matter. There is a finite amount of space and considering how popular Smash is and how much space would be needed to accommodate the smash set ups... things start to get complicated. The space used for the Smash stations would only be of use for Smash and not for any other game in the Main lineup(I'm sure the Tatsunko players would appreciate having all the Wii's there though). If it wasn't as popular as it is it wouldn't be such a huge deal, but just look at the numbers for this event.

Of course I agree that these things should be talked about, but they need to be talked about realistically. I'm sure the EVO dudes would love the numbers Smash would bring in so as to rub it in the faces of MLG as further proof that they and the community doesn't need them. Maybe they could look into reserving two ballrooms rather than one in 2013 to accommodate the Smash players, but of course before any of that happens the EVO staff needs the let the Smash guys run the tournament the way they want to and stop doing to the Smash community what they're afraid MLG will do to the traditional FGC.

And that's without mentioning how expensive and how much of a gamble that would be for them.

I mean, I get what you're saying, but what do you want them to do? They are already renting out a humongous ballroom for the ever growing SF/Marvel community...you want them to rent out another ballroom to accommodate? Cause thats what it would take...

I'm sure there is a way, but in the end, I think the rift between the communities is enough for them not to give a shit. So smash will continue to do its thing, and the FGC will do its thing.

The FGC can't grow if the EVO organizers (who represents the largest tournament organizers in the FGC) can't/won't accomodate another competitive game. It's pretty simple. Logistically, if it just can't happen thats understandable. Somebody has to pay for it and run it, naturally. But that doesn't change the fact that if you aren't willing to work things out and get new games into the FGC, the FGC will always be bottlenecked or capped by the Capcom fighters.

Talamius

The FGC can't grow if the EVO organizers (who represents the largest tournament organizers in the FGC) can't/won't accomodate another competitive game.

I'd say that goes both ways. The SF4 stream right now in an unorganized mess and there seems to be little change in sight. It seems like it's been treated as an afterthought.

Edit: Does not seem like the stream's fault either. The commentators have tried to beg for matches to put on stream several times now.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I actually love/enjoy Melee/Brawl and used to play it competitively (don't tell anyone, please). But the community and it's egos/diplomacy really rubbed me the wrong way. But still, have a lot of fun playing with friends ;P

PEEFSmash, MeleePacWest, MeleeAtlNorth are some. All on twitch. But tbh, smash has always been more youtube based. Streaming is slowly gaining traction.
Just to note, Peef has mostly been streaming private builds of Project M lately. It's a mod of Brawl that replicates the gameplay mechanics of Melee. Included are reverting changes Brawl made to some veterans (Fox, Marth, some others are identical to Melee) while keeping beneficial Brawl elements in others (Falco has Brawl jab, Ganon has Brawl >B, C.Falcon >B can grab the ledge, etc). Certain Brawl newcomers have large changes made to their movesets to fit into the faster paced Melee environment. Cast wide rebalancing is also being done to close the gap between low and high tiers from Melee and Brawl. There are returning stages from Smash64, Melee, brand new stages and stages from Brawl all coming together to create the largest and most diverse neutral/counterpick stagelist.

I think it's really cool but if watching playtesting for a mod in progress isn't your thing then you can probably skip PEEFSmash, although he still streams Melee every once in a while.

I actually love/enjoy Melee/Brawl and used to play it competitively (don't tell anyone, please). But the community and it's egos/diplomacy really rubbed me the wrong way. But still, have a lot of fun playing with friends ;P

You just need to design a special Melee/Brawl controller/stick to make them feel included. They're just salty about that Mark. *floeface

El Sloth

Banned
Yeah I chalk a lot of it up to ignorance on EVO's part. They look at it all in absolutes, it's completely possible to make it work out. The IPL (or was it MLG?) guy who was on the eSports/FGC podcast had the right idea, there is ALWAYS a way to make it work, and if your too ignorant to figure it out, you should do like that guy and hire people out from the community to do what you are incapable of doing.
You say that like EVO has even a fraction of the same amount of resources as MLG or IPL.

The best solution might be if Nintendo pitched in to help them get the necessary space. But as Firestorm once said, lol at Nintendo supporting any of their communities after the game has released.
This Makoto's wasting so much meter on the EX Hayates that aren't converting into damage.
Mashing the panic/I don't how to get in without getting jabbed button.

Its 2012. #esports is so big now that there is major overlap between communities. Nowadays just about everyone has dabbled in every community. Unfortunately, because of particular divides, they have to choose one or the other; they can't go to a FGC and a smash tournament at the same time for example. This reduces the player pool for everyone, so I think on that level, there is mutual benefit to be gained.

And I mean, we're all big boys. Put us all in the same room, outside of the trolling and flaming of the internet, and make us work together to find a solution and things would get worked out. Time would mend wounds and that would be that.

Beyond logistics, fear is the major problem; Smash players are afraid the big bad EVO monster will take over their game and they'll lose their grassroots influence, eventually subjugated to a side-event or a legacy game like SF3, and FGC players are worried that Smash's numbers could potentially overshadow their own in time, and thus leech off all the hard work that went toward a tournament like EVO. Those are legitimate fears, and very probable outcomes, so its no wonder why nothing will and maybe should get done.

kirblar

Its 2012. #esports is so big now that there is major overlap between communities. Nowadays just about everyone has dabbled in every community. Unfortunately, because of particular divides, they have to choose one or the other; they can't go to a FGC and a smash tournament at the same time for example. This reduces the player pool for everyone, so I think on that level, there is mutual benefit to be gained.

And I mean, we're all big boys. Put us all in the same room, outside of the trolling and flaming of the internet, and make us work together to find a solution and things would get worked out. Time would mend wounds and that would be that.

Beyond logistics, fear is the major problem; Smash players are afraid the big bad EVO monster will take over their game and they'll lose their grassroots influence, eventually subjugated to a side-event or a legacy game like SF3, and FGC players are worried that Smash's numbers could potentially overshadow their own in time, and thus leech off all the hard work that went toward a tournament like EVO. Those are legitimate fears, and very probable outcomes, so its no wonder why nothing will and maybe should get done.
Beyond that there's another big difference: Capcom, ArcSys, Namco, etc. help support the community in various ways. Nintendo doesn't.

If this stream has taught me anything after watching some of both, it's that Brawl's soundtrack (well, compilation from hundreds of games) is still the best mayne (it did it).

Azure J

Mashing the panic/I don't how to get in without getting jabbed button.

Late, but this is so true. I had to unlearn that with the quickness playing against my "who cares if shit works" brother intentionally eating enough hits from my inexperienced Mak just to catch me with wakeup Ultra II from Ryu.

That Shoryuken has left me with a retroactive hatred of all shotos now. :lol

El Sloth

Banned
^ I know that feel, bro.
If this stream has taught me anything after watching some of both, it's that Brawl's soundtrack (well, compilation from hundreds of games) is still the best mayne (it did it).
Fucking truth right here. Sakurai and Nintendo did a god damn amazing job with all those arrangements and remixes.

USD

Sean Y is the Chun player who was doing pretty well during casuals earlier today, plays at Next Level a bit. Sometimes he goes in a bit too hard and is a little predictable, but he's pretty solid.

I'll always have a secret love for Chun in SFIV, especially after everyone abandoned her in AE.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks

I know what year it is :)

But I agree with some of your points. Too bad the Illuminati are in play.

Azure J

Is this really what high level Brawl looks like nowadays? My God, I'm over here rooting for the Marth because "at least it isn't MetaKnight". :lol

Holy shit what a difference from yesterday.

Top Bottom