• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apex 2012 | Fighting game tournament | January 6-8

Azure J

I feel like I'm watching a filler season of Big Two Sanford vs. Dieminion right now. :lol

Good shit though, this kind of game is very viable.

Arde5643

My god, this BrunoFighter in brazil - his Akuma, my god. When they say American Akumas are so ass, they're right - this Akuma is so fucking goood.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
You know, I can't say I care for competitive Smash much at all, but I do have a certain affection for "spectator-unfriendly" gameplay.

Whatever it takes to net that W. You're playing for yourself, not the stream monsters.

Firestorm

YOUNG MOTHERFUCKING LINK YEAH
Would not have believed that this would be what happens at tournaments in 2011/2012 if someone had told me 5 years ago XD
Thanks for quitting out 3 seconds before death to save us time.
Thanks.
Seriously. I saw this at the last tournament I had and all the older players who had just come back to check out the scene again were also really confused. What the hell at trying to save 3 seconds. Just let it finish x.x

I guess this should be posted here

WARNING: LONG READ

Diemme said:
This tournament's planning started in June.

We took a venture into the FGC side of things this year, but this decision came in September. We needed some kind of sponsor for equipment to be able to get it done in time. When I approached Local Battles about doing it, they started off excited, but then eventually became apprehensive due to Alex Strife being a part of the tournament. This was a major speed bump for me, and I couldn't get this posted up until I knew I'd have the equipment. Finally, when I convinced LB that Alex's past was exaggerated by members of the community, it was late late October. By this point, our floor plan for Smash had been done, and we were running out of space. But, that was fine.

Despite our efforts to tell people that we were giving the attention to the FGC as Smash, the FGC wrote us off as a "Smash Tournament" and constantly posted things like "No way I'm going to that. Baby's first fighting game? Chill, I'll wait for Winter Brawl." and ect. That's fine though! We weren't planning for 300 people anymore, so we shrunk the space a bit.

But then, on December 31st, I saw: "Congratulations! You're receiving this mail because we would like your event to be part of the Road to Evo this year."
Suddenly, two things popped into my head:

HOLY SHIT, SOMEHOW I HYPED THIS UP ENOUGH TO GET IT DONE. TIME TO CALL EVERYONE. (Yeah, I'm hyped, what about it.)
Holy shit, we do NOT have the space for this.

We got about 70 unique players registered for the FGC stuff, and before this we estimated another 80 or so. Our very inaccurate estimation was 150 players. We got 293.
Friday night, after Super Smash Bros Melee started winding down, Doom and I drove over an hour north to Local Battles, to pick up the Monitors and XBOXes (and ps3's for MK) to bring back to the venue and start setting up. We got back at around 2:30, and we had to be out by 3am (of face rather expensive charges.), so we set them aside for the morning. We had about 15 people help bring stuff in, and had a staff of about 35.
The next day, seven of my staff didn't show up, six of whom were supposed to help with the FGC stuff. I felt like an idiot, because these were people I trusted, and I even paid some of them in advance. Yeah, I know, I'm a moron. But, hey, milk was spilled, so I just needed to clean it up. So, I found myself some volunteers and we got things set up so fast. (Major thanks to everyone who helped that morning. Especially Maxout, I owe you lunch, man.) Here is where things started getting hairy.
A lot of the Staff for the Smash event was late. idkwtf they were doing, but whatever, I know I got this. So I started doing registration. I got more helpers, and we handled it! We had to push back opening the venue by 20 minutes (WHICH I AM SO SORRY FOR, IF I MADE YOU WAIT.) but we finally had enough people to get it done. Registration lasted almost 3 hours, due to the enormous number of people who came through the door. (It was somewhere around 1300 @_@) Everything was shaping up, until I waled through the door to the venue again (Reg was done in the hallway.) when I saw the amount of people crowding. I knew I was in some fucking trouble.
My initial estimate was HALF OF WHAT CAME THROUGH. Effectively making me the biggest idiot in the room. It was also then that I noticed that my staff hadn't didn't show up.
What was my fault:

The Heat. I should have expected more people, seriously.

Once we realized how hot it was, we made out best efforts in getting more fans and delegating space to the area by having more refs who you could report matches too. I didn't come up with this, and whoever did, I thank you greatly.
The layout.

I had a clear layout, and instructed a few people on where they should be, but I was not clear enough. I was frantically running around trying to fix everything, and somehow I missed it. I should have told people specifically, and while I hate doing it, I should have Micro managed the event a bit more.
The seeding.

Like this thread says (Which I should have been more clear about.) you get seeding points for this event if you attended SoCal Regionals. That cause a few people to be seeded in places they normally wouldn't have been, which is the reason Chris G and CJ fought early, and why Sanford Kelly and Dieminion fought before finals. (Realistically, Sanford, it was late into the tourney, but I should have been much more clear about my methods, and should have taken that into account before I started.)
The fact that it turned out to still be a Smash event.

We had 400 people for Brawl, and 308 for Melee (With less than 100 playing both games.) and we had a scant 70~ for the FGC side of things on December 31st. I made the call to shrink the space, because I didn't think we got enough done. Clearly, I'm an idiot.
The goddamn delays.

I thought we had it covered. But the Red rings, and TERRIBLE PA system added to the fact that I was undermanned. I immediately got my ass into a gear I didn't know I had, but by this point, we were in the weeds. I struggled and struggled until we finally got a system that accommodated the players with the amount of space that we had.
Young Link vs Jiggs:

I really should have shit talked one of them during the previous matches, so that one of them may have lost earlier. XD
Everything else.

I've been planning for months. Perhaps I didn't plan hard enough. Maybe I didn't put my faith in the right people. I do know that I was eventually able to catch us up, with the help of amazing people like Alukard, Phire, Dynicksty, Ether, Ninja Edd, Jon and Sam from LB, LI fucking Joe (If you ever need me to help out, man, you got this.), Big E (Same as Joe! thanks for the pizza idea ^^)and of course the Kombat Network. (If I forgot anyone, I'm sorry. I love you all.)
Real talk, shit got hairy. My favorite and most respected player Josh Wong had such a shitty morning at my event, that he left. My pride, my wallet, and my hopes were fucking killed by this tournament, but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up.

Frankly, around 7pm, once everything started catching up, I would say that it was a pretty awesome and standard event. And Sunday was definitely on point, with the small exception of two DQs I had to hand out. (Which KILLED ME to hand out and enforce.) Major thanks to Art and Ski for coming through and helping the stream be godlike, and of course Bifuteki who I had previously seriously underestimated.

Finally, to Min: I'm sorry your experience on Saturday wasn't absolutely perfect. Anytime I've been to something you're in, you've been a great guy and great host. I'm sorry that I couldn't reciprocate to that end.

To everyone who enjoyed the event, thanks for sticking with us through the hardships. It's taken a large toll on my personally, but I was able to get through it only thanks to the amazing people that helped me.

When we do this again, I promise our mistakes will be have engraved in us, and the lessons we were taught will be strongly held, along with that fucking L, to our chests.
Major props to Alukard for busting out the Skrull, Dieminion for that Grand finals sweep, Chris G for being a great sport at all times, Demon Hyo for using bottom tier ass chunli, Mastah CJ for going absolutely insane and everyone else.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...t-new-brunswick-nj.148071/page-3#post-6357514

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Are the Masta CJ matches up anywhere?

Chavelo

he really had to hand out that DQ to Marlin huh?

that's totally believable.

check the 8way run archives

Yo, what is this? Marlin? As in the MarlinPie? o_O

For what?

Ontopic: For all the shit they're getting from the FG"C", I think they pulled through for the Smash community in a great way. :D

APEX Smash Hype > UMVC3 Barfights "Hype"

So basically some folks in the FGC barked so much about not going that estimates were lowered and it was a mistake since they came through anyway. Some FGC folks just bailed instead of dong their jobs, Smash people were late and overall crowd numbers(probably a ridiculous number of smash spectators to accompany those 600+ Smash tournament players all weekend) were GIGANTIC.

Yeah, this was a learning experience for everyone. Still, it was a good experience from my streaming perspective(don't watch much SF and that is where things went sour) and his crew definitely adapted pretty well all things considered.

El Sloth

Banned
Yeah, this was a learning experience for everyone. Still, it was a good experience from my streaming perspective(don't watch much SF and that is where things went sour) and his crew definitely adapted pretty well all things considered.
From what I understood from the post one of the biggest problems was that his crew was super unreliable and he had to constantly gather volunteers to help him out. If anything he and the people attending to spectate adapted pretty well.

Yo, what is this? Marlin? As in the MarlinPie? o_O

For what?

Marlinpie got DQ'd for being late. I was ok with that at first (since it's your own damn fault for not knowing the schedule), but it turns out that MarlinPie was told to show up around 7PM, but the schedule changed without him knowing.

Threi

notag
So much better to hear it straight from the horse's mouth rather than heresy and rumors...a trend that's too common in the FGC.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Marlinpie got DQ'd for being late. I was ok with that at first (since it's your own damn fault for not knowing the schedule), but it turns out that MarlinPie was told to show up around 7PM, but the schedule changed without him knowing.

Yup, this is shit that can not be excused out of all of the negligence and underestimations. Sympathy to the organizers, but this I cannot shake, someone following the rules and legitimately getting screwed by the rule setters not following their own.

From what I understood from the post one of the biggest problems was that his crew was super unreliable and he had to constantly gather volunteers to help him out. If anything he and the people attending to spectate adapted pretty well.
I should have said "replacement crew" instead. I made it clear that some of his original people bailed on him in the same post so I figured that people would get what I meant if they read the detailed account straight from the horse's mough.
What a fuck up...

:/

Top Bottom