• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apex 2012 | Fighting game tournament | January 6-8

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Love seeing Morrigan lose.

She is gonna get real popular before Evo. (Like that chick in high school that would let the boys finger bang her)

BTW, what is the correct way to pronounce Morrigan?

Azure J

Play the most legit keepaway and pressure game while holding off Dark Weskah and die to ABC+level 3 Wesker combo despite having above average health.

BEST GAME EVAR

I was really wondering if my eyes were bad catching that last segment too, didn't she have like 75-80 percent life when that Wesker combo started?

I SWEAR TO FUCKING GOD IF THAT DARKNESS ILLUSION WENT THROUGH ALL THE FINGER LASERS... That was a stupid amount of invincibility there.

h3ro

LI Joe's double swords combo with Vergil was awesome.

Does he get the Dahbomb Vergil seal of approval?

Firestorm

Oh shit, competitive Pokemon on stream? Is this a first? I really want to see this. Hopefully my computer doesn't crap out on me.
And is the Pokemon Stuff gonna be streamed, too?
Competitive handheld pokemon... how does this even work??
Pokemon wasn't streamed. And this wouldn't have been the first Pokemon stream. We were able to get some people to stream finals at the Worlds competition in 2010. Then last year we set up a decent network of people to stream the Regional competitions, Nationals, and Worlds. This year Regionals are hard to stream due to the setup, but US Nationals, hopefully Canadian Nationals (I'll try to work something out even though I'll be playing), Worlds, and hopefully some European Nationals will be streamed.

Maybe I'll make a topic for each event this year if people are interested in Pokemon. There's a fairly large competitive circuit for Pokemon. This year's regionals are smaller by a lot, but last year each regional hit 400+ participants. You can learn more about it here: here. Also got a GAF topic.

As for Pokemon results at Apex, this was the top 3:

Doubles (VGC '12)
  1. sandman
  2. Sapphire Birch
  3. MikeDecIsHere
Singles (Smogon OU)
  1. SPF Rai
  2. Dark Master
  3. Chimpakt

MarlinPie and Quotes on commentary?

Break Warriors <3

I was wondering the same thing, his Vergil was atrocious. The most unsafe Vergil ever.

Honestly, that's more of a problem with the character, not so much the player. You can do things to alleviate the recovery problems, but it's a inherent 'designed' (borderline) retarded flaw they gave to Vergil.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Honestly, that's more of a problem with the character, not so much the player. You can do things to alleviate the recovery problems, but it's a inherent 'designed' (borderline) retarded flaw they gave to Vergil.
Other Vergils manage to make themselves much less safe using assists and whatnot though, like you said ways to alleviate his madly unsafe normals.

He would throw out an unsafe normal, just stand there, wait to recover, and then call an assist 2 seconds later, repeatedly. It was frustrating to watch.

Marvel:
Winners:
AG MarlinPie
Alucard
DemonHyo
Noel Brown
MastaCJ

Losers:
Ray Ray
Sean Y
Chris G

Didn't hear the rest, but it was uneven between winners and losers, so there is some fuckery as far as the brackets go.

I now understand why Spooky was annoyed by Apex being an evo qualifier. And poor Chris G, of all the draws he could of got he ends up with CJ and another possible early exit at a big event.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Smash in the air-con ballroom, rest of the games in the non-ac'd lobby next to the washroom.

lol how embarrassing.
That's not really a big deal.. there are significantly more Smash players. I mean I bet if they could fit them all in one place they would, but you gotta accommodate for those 400+ Smash players and prioritize. Pretty sure they were joking too.

Him getting mad at the stream monsters was in fact embarrassing and hilarious to watch though PJSalt

Grecco

I now understand why Spooky was annoyed by Apex being an evo qualifier. And poor Chris G, of all the draws he could of got he ends up with CJ and another possible early exit at a big event.

Its kinda really suprising that it was an evo qualifier to begin with.

I genuinely feel bad for him given how the games on his stream have gone today and how he's doing it for the monsters. That's still not stopping me from revelling in his salt... Hey, he just called for Art now, he's good!

What did they say?

- Paid bracket and tournament organizers not updating brackets and instead running off and playing Brawl casuals instead of updating SSF4 / Marvel brackets.

- Speakers weren't even given to the SF/Marvel - people had to shout out players names for 12+ hours.

- Being relegated to the lobby, not the actual ballroom hall.

- No real ventilation/air conditioning to speak of

- Being massively delayed. I think Noel Brown even said that after several hours people had only played one match or none at all.

- Stream problems galore. Bracket organizers (when doing their job) wouldn't relegate top players on the stream. In fact one of the commentators pretty much had to beg people to get on the stream station.

- Not following the schedule, and in fact putting Mortal Kombat on when it wasn't supposed to be on.

Despite all this - the Marvel stream hit almost 3,000 viewers when things began to relatively smoothly.

It's just odd because Apex seemingly flaunted the fact that it was a EVO qualifier "Road to EVO" tournament, with may of the sponsors being from the FGC. It's actually really not that hard to have Sp00ky's Big Two weeklies blow up for an early of the year major to represent an early east coast tournament that's an EVO qualifier. I'd honestly do that. Or just work with Yipes who's also starting up some bi-monthly tournaments.

No, this is a bad match for gief. This Chun just facing one of the best in the NYC.

I should have added a "now" to the end of it, because it seems like the huge SPD range increase really changed the matchup.

ed: but it oops like I was pretty wrong there

Top Bottom