• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple AirPods | OT | Try not to lose them

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I had to use my old ear buds today while my AirPods charged because I forgot to plug them in yesterday. Oh my god the cables were so annoying lol

mrkgoo

They are underrated if anything. It's the best product Apple have put out for some time.

It's funny, huh, the amount they were derided when they were announced. But it's the simple things that make them what they are. The charging case, the sensors to turn them off, how basically everything about them is to emphasise the tirelessness, without adding anything to the experience of "just using earphones". Like you don't have to worry about powering them on or off, you don't need to think too much about charging them, etc.

I have the beatsX and even though not fully wireless, the compromise is worth the additional features to me,a nd I love them a lot. There's a sense of freedom about being untethered to your device.

It's funny, huh, the amount they were derided when they were announced. But it's the simple things that make them what they are. The charging case, the sensors to turn them off, how basically everything about them is to emphasise the tirelessness, without adding anything to the experience of "just using earphones". Like you don't have to worry about powering them on or off, you don't need to think too much about charging them, etc.

I have the beatsX and even though not fully wireless, the compromise is worth the additional features to me,a nd I love them a lot. There's a sense of freedom about being untethered to your device.

Yeah, I laughed at them to start with, I thought I would just wait around and get them whenever they eventually (im not sure they will) pack them in with their products. Then one day I had enough of all the wires all over my desk when working so decided to take the plunge. They are my favourite product that Apple have produced in the past 5 years, fantastic and I loathe the days at work when if I forget to bring them with me.

sirap

Can you run with AirPods?

Can you run with regular earpods?

Cables can be a big factor in how well these things stay in your ear, but if you're one of the unlucky few(?) with incompatible ears airpods wont be much of an improvement.

Finally got a pair

Absolutely love them! they fit super well in my ears and are really comfortable plus the sound quality is waaaaay better than I thought they were

Really impressed!!

giga

Installed iOS 11 on my iPhone 6 and it fixed my weird Bluetooth issue, where the AirPods won’t pair after turning Bluetooth back on. Yay.

Also the new control options for each individual AirPod is great. I have the left set to change to the next track and the right to pause/play.
Oh shit that's pretty sweet. Can you set left to previous track/rewind?

Can you run with AirPods?
I do every week and they've yet to fall out. If you want a more secure fit and stronger lows, I recommend these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019BREFE4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

e_i

Bought a pair at my local BB. Paired with my iPad 12" and Samsung Galaxy S7. The sound is quite good (but not as good as my Audio Technica SR5). I love how they connect (after pairing), just open the lid and boom, your connected.

Does iOS 11 offer additional options with AirPods. For example, any more double tap options. Right now it is only for Play/Pause and Siri.

Yep. Skip forward/skip back are added options, and you can also set up *two* commands - one for the left AirPod, one for the right AirPod. I've got skip track on one ear, Siri on the other, and play/pause is easily handled just by taking one of the AirPods out.

Yep. Skip forward/skip back are added options, and you can also set up *two* commands - one for the left AirPod, one for the right AirPod. I've got skip track on one ear, Siri on the other, and play/pause is easily handled just by taking one of the AirPods out.

Awesome. I'll be looking forward to that.

Moreche

My right AirPod has an issue with not detecting when I remove/insert it to play and pause.
The left one works perfectly though. I've reset them but no help.
Edit: Weirdly I posted about this issue earlier but after updating my iPhone 6 to iOS11, I no longer have the issue and the right AirPod now works perfectly.

LtOrange

I did not know pulling an AirPod out of your ear would pause what you were listening to. That feature alone is a huge selling point for me. I’m tempted to pick up these along with an Apple Watch series 3....never thought I would own either product.

I did not know pulling an AirPod out of your ear would pause what you were listening to. That feature alone is a huge selling point for me. I’m tempted to pick up these along with an Apple Watch series 3....never thought I would own either product.

WatchOS 4 and iOS 11 are generally a lot more AirPod-friendly also (in the sense of keeping your audio controls much closer at hand and also in the sense of offering you more control via the AirPods themselves).

Owari

Got a replacement pair. The new ones don't double tap to activate anymore. What happened to quality control, Apple?

Yet another trip to the Apple Store when this crap should have just worked out of the box.

Sorry, can't reccomend this product at all.

Got mine, of course, the day before the new ones. But whatever. I love them. Been looking for a good pair of wireless headphones for my iPhone for a long time and these fit the bill exactly. Easy to use. Only gripe is the fit. They're always "slightly" loose, which makes me paranoid.

gamma

Got mine, of course, the day before the new ones. But whatever. I love them. Been looking for a good pair of wireless headphones for my iPhone for a long time and these fit the bill exactly. Easy to use. Only gripe is the fit. They're always "slightly" loose, which makes me paranoid.

There are no new ones. Just a new wireless charging case that comes next year.

giga

So the W2 is supposed to be 50% more power efficient. Think we'll see these in a new revision with the new charge case next year.

So the W2 is supposed to be 50% more power efficient. Think we'll see these in a new revision with the new charge case next year.

Makes sense - I've been perfectly content with the AirPods as far as battery life is concerned, but improvements are always welcome. I'm mostly curious about what Apple can add feature-wise - internal storage for a single iPod Shuffle-style playlist would be super cool, and a small capacitive-touch area for a 'hold' gesture in addition to double-tap would also be fantastic. I don't expect always-on Hey Siri functionality to be a thing for, like, years, but incremental power efficiency gains could still allow for a vastly improved interaction model.

Guess Who

Banned
fuck it, I've caved

hBzkrz4.png

should be here next week

killroy87

Ordered an iPhone 8, so I'm hoping I won't have the same bullshit bluetooth issues that I have with my SE.

Between the Pixel and then the SE, I'm zero for two when it comes to phones with properly functioning bluetooth.

Quick

Banned
Ordered an iPhone 8, so I'm hoping I won't have the same bullshit bluetooth issues that I have with my SE.

Between the Pixel and then the SE, I'm zero for two when it comes to phones with properly functioning bluetooth.

If it helps any, I currently have an iPhone 6 and I had an issue where I can’t reconnect to my AirPods after turning Bluetooth back on. iOS 11 seems to have fixed this.

And a cool addition is now I don’t need to turn Bluetooth on to check the battery status now.

holygeesus

Banned
Not had a single issue with my SE and bluetooth and my AirPods are shared with my MacBook too, so there are plenty of opportunities for conflicts along the line.

Edit - and my Apple Watch!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
It's possible, but the case doesn't have any wireless functionality as far as I can tell*. And the case is the only thing different in the forthcoming revision that we know of.

*If you take the AirPods out of the case you no longer get battery info on the case, this is because the AirPods have the w1 not the case.

Souzetsu

Got my AirPods Friday and have been using them since. They've been great, charging is really fast and easy, the sound is alright, I recommend them overall. Only issue I have is my right ear doesn't hold EarPods/AirPods well so I ordered an ear hook attachment to see if that helps for when I run with them.

Cowlick

Banned
Been thinking about getting a pair lately, but I just wanted to check that there's not anything about the upcoming new version that's worth waiting a little longer for. Is it just inductive charging? No changes to the functionality, sound quality, and so forth?

Also, I'll be using them primarily with a 6S Plus. Any drawbacks there?

Vuze

Been thinking about getting a pair lately, but I just wanted to check that there's not anything about the upcoming new version that's worth waiting a little longer for. Is it just inductive charging? No changes to the functionality, sound quality, and so forth?

Also, I'll be using them primarily with a 6S Plus. Any drawbacks there?
All they announced was the inductive charging case which they said will be sold seperately, no AirPods revision.

Top Bottom