• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple AirPods | OT | Try not to lose them

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
New AirPods found in iOS 11 gm.

giphy.gif

This is likely a minor revision and not a major upgrade. Based on the internal name — AirPods1,1 to AirPods1,2 — and the video above, I’m guessing the charging indicator light is relocated from inside the case to the front of the case for checking charging status without opening the lid.

https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/08/ios-11-gm-d22-iphone-8-details/

Quick

Banned
Mild shock.

Thought for a moment that "minor revision" was some sort of battery upgrade or sneaky feature addition before reading that article. I JUST bought mine.

hirokazu

Firmware leaks have been KILLING Apple this year

Where did 9to5 even get this one?
Yeah, this is rather curious. HomePod was entirely their own doing, but I thought they were saying how Apple themselves is super tight now and that's why the leaks were predominantly coming out of the supply chain in China. Then how did this GM get out LOL.

holygeesus

Banned
Since they charge so quickly and everything, I think a light on the outside is a downgrade for me.

Yup I've never even considered it.

As an aside, used these on a long haul flight for the first time, and despite reviews, they are absolutely able to hold their own. They aren't noise cancelling by any means but they work just fine.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm getting rid of mine. I've bought them twice (they're actually easy to find here via istocknow) but i'm just not comfortable with the white ugliness. i think ill be happier with black beats

Four current options for obtaining 'black' airpods:

Shearie

That's a weird "upgrade". The charger looks so clean as is and the light is will probably be on permanently and drain battery? Wouldn't make sense otherwise

I'm guessing that the button on the back of the case will turn the battery indicator light on for a little bit.

Shearie

Shipping time is currently down to 1-2 weeks and stores have had more reliable stock. Probably won’t stick with the uptick in demand, but we’ll see

I know you’re joking but still

That light on the outside of the case is going to be a bitch to manufacture at scale.

I'm just being dumb.

jts

...hate me...
I hope the differences are basically just the LED outside :p

As said, the thing charges so quickly and sparsely I don’t really care about seeing a LED.

Just actual functionality and sound quality differences would bother me.

Mogwai

My left AirPod won't hold a charge at all now. Man I hate these things. Wish they worked better.
Is this uneven battery charge a widespread problem?

I really want a set of AirPods, but the missing volume control is just nagging the hell out of me.

Owari

Is this uneven battery charge a widespread problem?

I really want a set of AirPods, but the missing volume control is just nagging the hell out of me.
Volume isn't normally an issue as I just use my Apple Watch crown for that. iOS 11 Siri left/play right seems to be promising. I think my AirPods just suck because I got them the first day they were available and they've kind of been through a lot.

Haven't lost them though!

hirokazu

My left AirPod won't hold a charge at all now. Man I hate these things. Wish they worked better.
It’s barely out a year. I’m sure that’s a hardware issue Apple will replace so if I were you I’d take it into to Apple before the warranty runs out.

Owari

It’s barely out a year. I’m sure that’s a hardware issue Apple will replace so if I were you I’d take it into to Apple before the warranty runs out.
Will they actually do anything about it? Last time I tried they said they couldn't replace anything due to stock issues.

Vuze

Will they actually do anything about it? Last time I tried they said they couldn't replace anything due to stock issues.
Shipping times on the Apple Online Store are down to like 1-2 weeks. Now or never! Or you wait and see if they exchange it for the AirPods 1,2 model. But that's probably gonna be OOS for months again so...

Quick

Banned

Did they offer to leave a note on your profile to replace your AirPods in the future?

What would ideally happen is they leave a note and when you come back due to an issue in the future or to follow up on stock status, they'll let you swap out your AirPods because you reported it before.

Owari

Did they offer to leave a note on your profile to replace your AirPods in the future?

What would ideally happen is they leave a note and when you come back due to an issue in the future or to follow up on stock status, they'll let you swap out your AirPods because you reported it before.
Probably. They were pretty annoying about it though. I guess I'll make a genius appointment today and update this thread with how it goes. Thanks all!

Edit: ugh, why is the earliest appointment Monday. So inconvenient. Maybe I'll just walk in and wait.

But the new iPhones are using inductive charging and everyone calls it wireless charging. Same with Android phones.

I know Samsung and Google have bastardized the term "wireless charging" and spread its misuse. But, it ain't wireless charging. Imagine someone released a notebook that had "wireless internet" but all that meant is that you had to put that notebook on a mat in order to get internet. That'd be really stupid. If someone wants to make the case that inductive charging is amazing because they lead such a fast-paced life that the two seconds it takes to plug in a phone is bad, then ok. Or, if someone wants to argue it makes the phone better by eliminating another entry point for water, then that's fine (but I sure hope they removed other ports like the headphone jack then). And, I know I'm being snippy and I apologize for that, but seeing the term and idea of wireless charging being turned into "well, instead of plugging in your phone, you position it on a mat/stand" is just annoying to me. Sorry for pedantry.

Wireless charring should be reserved until we get to that point where we plug in a small box in our homes and it charges, actually wirelessly, every device we own in any room while in our pockets or wherever.

Moreche

My right AirPod has an issue with not detecting when I remove/insert it to play and pause.
The left one works perfectly though. I've reset them but no help.

Shearie

My right AirPod has an issue with not detecting when I remove/insert it to play and pause.
The left one works perfectly though. I've reset them but no help.

The few times that happend to me, there was some ear crud covering the sensor. There was a time when I couldn't even see the ear crud but it was there and after cleaning the AirPods, it worked fine again. I clean my AirPods every night so that they don't transform into 100% ear crud.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If I can get some additional charge when I throw my phone down on the side table, then that’s a useful feature for me. Those times when you are using the phone off and on so don’t want to tether it to a charger.

hirokazu

I know Samsung and Google have bastardized the term "wireless charging" and spread its misuse. But, it ain't wireless charging. Imagine someone released a notebook that had "wireless internet" but all that meant is that you had to put that notebook on a mat in order to get internet. That'd be really stupid. If someone wants to make the case that inductive charging is amazing because they lead such a fast-paced life that the two seconds it takes to plug in a phone is bad, then ok. Or, if someone wants to argue it makes the phone better by eliminating another entry point for water, then that's fine (but I sure hope they removed other ports like the headphone jack then). And, I know I'm being snippy and I apologize for that, but seeing the term and idea of wireless charging being turned into "well, instead of plugging in your phone, you position it on a mat/stand" is just annoying to me. Sorry for pedantry.

Wireless charring should be reserved until we get to that point where we plug in a small box in our homes and it charges, actually wirelessly, every device we own in any room while in our pockets or wherever.
Yeah that is incredibly pedantic, haha. I think you kinda diminish the utility of being able to charge without plugging a cable in, even if it still requires placing on a mat. Inductive charging is still technically wireless charging, the only difference is proximity to the power source. Future iterations can be advertised with x metres or x feet range to differentiate.

Anno

So instead of getting an iPhone 8 I think I'm going to get a 7 and a pair of these. I read the first few pages of the thread and it's pretty universal praise - has anything changed since? And is there a new version coming out? I couldn't find anything announced but could've missed it.

So it sounds like the new AirPods are just an optional case with support for wireless charging.

Yeah, separate case is optional. If you lose or break your current case it's $69 to replace at the genius bar, so I would imagine the new case is probably priced at $79

So instead of getting an iPhone 8 I think I'm going to get a 7 and a pair of these. I read the first few pages of the thread and it's pretty universal praise - has anything changed since? And is there a new version coming out? I couldn't find anything announced but could've missed it.

No new version, just an optional case that's not releasing until next year that lets it do wireless charging. And the universal praise is still valid

gamma

No new version but there will be a new case that supports wireless charging. Not sure yet whether it will be entirely optional or you can buy it complete with the AirPods.

jts

...hate me...
Definitely not interested in the new case for now. Love how it charges fast with a cable and batteries last forever anyway.

...I do guess with wireless charging they could be thrown to charge more often and casually with ease, which would make it nearly impossible to get to the end of the charge. Maybe in the future, depending on how the ecosystem evolves.

The fact this case is optional and not just the base product going forward is peak Apple ripping people off, I imagine a 2nd revision of Airpods will include it but it's disappointing not standard now.

Quick

Banned
Installed iOS 11 on my iPhone 6 and it fixed my weird Bluetooth issue, where the AirPods won’t pair after turning Bluetooth back on. Yay.

Also the new control options for each individual AirPod is great. I have the left set to change to the next track and the right to pause/play.

Top Bottom