• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple AirPods | OT | Try not to lose them

you can change the Siri double tap to play/pause

ios10-iphone-settings-bluetooth-apple-airpods.png

PSGames

shape is exactly the same. if your ears don't agree with the shape of EarPods, then AirPods won't be any different unfortunately

I would have said the same but I can't stand EarPods. They constantly fall out but these AirPods are night and day for some reason. No issues at all keeping them in place all day or even when working out. Very impressed.

icespide

Banned
I would have said the same but I can't stand EarPods. They constantly fall out but these AirPods are night and day for some reason. No issues at all keeping them in place all day or even when working out. Very impressed.

I suspect in your case the main reason the EarPods fell out of your ears was not because of the shape but because the wire was dragging them down

SFenton

Sign me up for better audio playback controls and I'll look again. Got a chance to try them Saturday and I'm definitely interested, but the only iDevice I have is an iPhone, so their use is limited to me.

Definitely thought they were super cool though!

Also, yeah, a better Watch complication for playback. Please, please, please, it's killer on my runs that I have to use the controls on my Beats, which seem to stop functioning if it's cold outside.

Laws00

they came with my iphone but i dont think im ever going to use them. im scared im going to lose them or they fall out of my ear when i walk/run

btkadams

I actually really love mine. The sound is good enough and the whole no-wire thing is actually a game changer for me. I didn't think of that being a big deal until I had them. You don't realize how much you are used to cords getting caught on stuff until you go wireless. I had another pair of bluetooth earphones but they still had a cord connecting them that felt a bit awkward in comparison.

shira

Gonna have to be the one to ask, how well do they work with android?

System Requirements

iPhone, iPad and iPod touch models with iOS 10 or later
Apple Watch models with watchOS 3 or later
Mac models with macOS Sierra or later

jts

...hate me...
Gonna have to be the one to ask, how well do they work with android?
They work (as posted above), but they lack features, mainly:

No easy/fast pairing
No way to gauge battery life
No remove AirPod to pause
No double tap for any controls (I think)

Which might make them not worth it.

icespide

Banned
They work (as posted above), but they lack features, mainly:

No easy/fast pairing
No way to gauge battery life
No remove AirPod to pause
No double tap for any controls (I think)

Which might make them not worth it.
Double tap will play/pause on non iOS devices

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Double tap will play/pause on non iOS devices

Also on iOS if you choose it instead of Siri (see posts above)

In theory they may be able to add triple tap to skip by a software update rather than having to wait for a gen 2 version. I hope they do that, as I think my next wireless headphones need to literally have no wires as my backbeat go 2 earphones still drag the cable on my neck.

Wonder if they have touch sensors on both ears but one just isn't used yet? You'd think it might make sense from a manufacturing perspective to have them identical.

Vuze

Also on iOS if you choose it instead of Siri (see posts above)

In theory they may be able to add triple tap to skip by a software update rather than having to wait for a gen 2 version. I hope they do that, as I think my next wireless headphones need to literally have no wires as my backbeat go 2 earphones still drag the cable on my neck.

Wonder if they have touch sensors on both ears but one just isn't used yet? You'd think it might make sense from a manufacturing perspective to have them identical.
You can use the double tap gesture on both if that's what you're wondering. It's not touch but accelerometer based though.

I think they're hesitant to do side-specific tap gestures because of the whole "you can use one at a time in mono" thing. Which I understand, you'd want the same level of control available

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You can use the double tap gesture on both if that's what you're wondering. It's not touch but accelerometer based though.

nice. Right, come on Apple, firmware update and I'll buy:

double-tap play/pause; triple tap skip forward. Option to mirror controls on both ears, or reserve one ear for siri and use the other for controls

I think they're hesitant to do side-specific tap gestures because of the whole "you can use one at a time in mono" thing. Which I understand, you'd want the same level of control available

feels like poor prioritisation. mono use is cute, but I'd accept eg losing siri at that point and keeping play/pause/skip in that specific case (I have one earphone removed so I'm already more engaged and can reach for my phone for siri if necessary)

ASTROID2

Here's what I posted in the other thread.

I absolutely love these. They've changed the way I listen to music. I can leave my phone charging in my room and walk around the house with no problems. I love that my music automatically stops when I take them out and there automatically paired when I put them in my ear. This is the most apple product we've gotten in a long time. They literally just work. It's fantastic.

mrkgoo

nice. Right, come on Apple, firmware update and I'll buy:

double-tap play/pause; triple tap skip forward. Option to mirror controls on both ears, or reserve one ear for siri and use the other for controls

feels like poor prioritisation. mono use is cute, but I'd accept eg losing siri at that point and keeping play/pause/skip in that specific case (I have one earphone removed so I'm already more engaged and can reach for my phone for siri if necessary)

Better yet, "primary use" as one option and "secondary" as the other. Allow whether you want right or left as primary, and it always selects primary when in mono mode.

Ultimately though, You know Apple. They start off slow and with few options. Acclimatise people to using a new device in the most basic way only. As adoption increases, add more options. I know people love to say that 2.0 releases is what Apple "should have released in the first place", but usually there's a point to making those baby steps other than to just sell you another model at a later date.

Sometimes they're still figuring it out themselves but other times it's a valid way to increase user adoption of a new interface.

jts

...hate me...
Taking the AirPods to the gym for the first time was a revelation. Amazing in that context.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
When are these out in Sweden?

Koyuga

Proper playback controls when.

Yes i'll keep harping on this damn it, it's killing me!

This is when I'll buy them, when they add this feature back in. I use my earpods way too much to get rid of them.

Whats so bad about just having buttons on them?

Any testimonials on how these work for active people? I usually need buds with more support, or they'll fall out. I can't see these staying in on a run

Koyuga

Any testimonials on how these work for active people? I usually need buds with more support, or they'll fall out. I can't see these staying in on a run

I don't have them, but the consensus seems to be if they old apple earpods fit your ears well, these will too and won't fall out easy.

8byte

Banned
Are these made of hard plastic like regular Apple headphones?

If so I can't use them, they'll fall out of my ears 😔

ZeroX03

Banned
Apple shipping estimate of 6 weeks hasn't changed yet. If you're not snagging a local shipment within a few hours it's pretty hard to get them in a timely manner (look at more obscure, non-Apple online outlets). I don't expect to see them abundant in stock for at least another few months. Half the retailers here have pulled them off their sites because they don't expect significant shipments anytime soon.

If you've got old broken EarPods, cut the wires off and see if they still stay in (cord drags them down). I did that and these stay in my ears perfectly. I was shaking my head til it hurt and they stayed in snugg.

Was pretty skeptical about these but all the impressions I've been hearing since launch makes it sound pretty great.

Will cop once I can walk into a store carefree and find one

I will be doing the same, if I don't get something release day I usually wait until the hype calms down and order/walk in store.

Love using mine. I can see these being the standard headphones you see people using in like a years time. Expensive but worth it.

Vuze

Love using mine. I can see these being the standard headphones you see people using in like a years time. Expensive but worth it.
Haven't seen anyone else using them yet tbh haha. But perhaps because it's winter and they mostly disappear when wearing beanies and the like.

Anyone have an issue with these sometimes not disconnecting from there phone when placed back in their case? It has been driving me fucking nuts!

hEist

got them on Friday.

love them. first I was sceptical (regarding the price), but now I don't wanna miss them.
btw. can't say something about the audio quality, I'm not into this. they are fine for me.

kaskade

After having these for a month I don't know if I could live without them now. Just putting these two little things in my ears still feels futuristic.

Top Bottom