• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple AirPods | OT | Try not to lose them

netBuff

I mean, I'm not sure you'll ever come back, there's been plenty of drivebys by people like you who clearly haven't read the thread so this is probably pointless but... AirPods are not super expensive and they've been selling incredibly well.

I don't doubt they are selling well (well, I do doubt it. This seems like a niche product). I have no clue about the sales numbers. But Apple does discount stuff that doesn't sell well from time to time.

Considering Apple's usual margins, they are very likely massively overpriced. That's how Apple works. $160 earphones that are going to last about two years don't seem like a wise purchase.

ZeroX03

Banned
I don't doubt they are selling well. I have no clue on the numbers. But Apple does discount stuff that doesn't sell well.

But considering Apple's usual margins, they are very likely massively overpriced. That's how Apple works.

Against comparable products on the market, they're not overpriced. The margins don't dictate the value to the consumer. It's a competitive price range for wireless in ear headphones and people are buying a lot more than they can produce.

I can't imagine a world where every price is judged solely on the margins. That'd be a terrible world for everyone involved.

LordOfChaos

What a ridiculous comparison. AirPods are super expensive, but suffer all the usual Bluetooth problems - connection dropping during phone calls, interference by traffic lights etc. And Apple will discount them, provided they don't sell well.

And they aren't even a product that is going to last - LiIon batteries degrade pretty quickly, even if you don't use them all that often.

Super expensive for what though? Wired headphones? Yes, but they aren't that. Wireless earbuds with a wire connecting the two sides? Yes, but they aren't that. Fully wireless earbuds? No. They're actually at the lower-medium price point in that space. And work better than what's actually there above them.

If the pair that you don't have has connectivity problems, try an exchange, as that's not what oodles of reviews found.

netBuff

If the pair that you don't have has connectivity problems, try an exchange, as that's not what oodles of reviews found.

Plenty of complaints about connectivity on the Apple forums.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7795564?start=0&tstart=0

And even people saying theirs are dropping out in this thread!

Super expensive for what though? Wired headphones? Yes, but they aren't that. Wireless earbuds with a wire connecting the two sides? Yes, but they aren't that. Fully wireless earbuds? No. They're actually at the lower-medium price point in that space. And work better than what's actually there above them.

Expensive compared to "other Bluetooth headphones I'd consider buying". I don't define the market by the Apple AirPods characteristics.

mrkgoo

Plenty of complaints about connectivity on the Apple forums.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7795564?start=0&tstart=0

And even people saying theirs are dropping out in this thread!

Expensive compared to "other Bluetooth headphones I'd consider buying". I don't define the market by the Apple AirPods characteristics.

Well, if certain feature sets aren't positives for you that's fine, but you have to realise that then it's a personal thing for you not a fault of the headphones.

ZeroX03

Banned

Yes, if you make up market categories then anything can seem overpriced. I don't think "netBuff's list of Bluetooth headphones they'd consider buying" is an Amazon section anyone but you gives a damn about. As far as completely wireless ear buds go - which is what these literally are - they're competitive.

Other than connectivity issues, all your issues with the product are on you, not the AirPods. And as mentioned it's a case by case basis with connection issues, seems most units are fine and Apple is investigating the dropped call bug.

LordOfChaos

I'm complaining about a Civic because it's not a Ducati, because I don't define the market by Civic characteristics. Ok.

Or comparing the price/performance ratio of a laptop to a desktop if you prefer. Ludicrous derailing. Comparing it to products that aren't in the same category makes little sense. They are what they are and you might not be in the market for them, that's fine.

Ordered these from Best Buy 1/20 with an estimated ship date of March 8, but my card was charged Thursday night. Fingers crossed that they come sooner.

Been using these since day 1, can't believe stock is still so low. I'm seeing them around a lot more in NYC. By the end of the year I fully predict they will be common

Just ordered some from Best Buy, says they'll ship by the middle of March. Hopefully that's just a really conservative estimate, if not it's crazy they're having this much trouble stocking them.

New firmware:

Apple AirPods firmware 3.5.1 is available for users now, and in all likelihood, has already been downloaded to a synchronized device. Installation is automatic when the AirPods are in their charging case, the case is plugged into a charger, and the linked iPhone is in close proximity and connected to Wi-Fi.

Users can check the installed firmware revision in the "General" settings menu, by selecting "About," then "AirPods."

AppleInsider was told by a contact within Apple that the update contains "miscellaneous minor bug fixes." It is not clear at this time if the update does anything to reduce or eliminate the claims by a number of owners that the devices have connectivity issues.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17...-to-synchronized-iphones-with-minor-bug-fixes

mf.luder

When I first bought them they wouldn't sync with my MBP.

I did a reinstall for other reasons and just saw that my AirPods are now 3.5.1 and they now sync with my MBP.

Glad that they can be updated, maybe that brings us good news about the taps for volume?

jts

...hate me...
Accidentally found that the AirPods can update the firmware outside of the charging case - provided that the case is plugged in anyway (and probably that the AirPods have sufficient juice as well).

jwick

Unconfirmed Member
What a ridiculous comparison. AirPods are super expensive, but suffer all the usual Bluetooth problems - connection dropping during phone calls, interference by traffic lights etc. And Apple will discount them, provided they don't sell well.

And they aren't even a product that is going to last - LiIon batteries degrade pretty quickly, even if you don't use them all that often.

Almost as ridiculous as comparing the quality of a product based on "supposed profit margins" and arguments about battery degradation. I don't understand why people like you who clearly aren't in the market for $150 Bluetooth headphones are disappointed that these aren't $50. Good quality Bluetooth headphones like the Jaybird X series and others sell at this price point -- I'm sorry that Apple making profit on these dictates they sell them to you on the cheap.

It's pretty simple -- if the affordances a product gives you is worth the asking price the market will dictate it -- pretty clearly these are hugely popular. Are they perfect? Hardly. However it's highly unlikely a business is selling a popular product for a fraction of the market price.

mrkgoo

Almost as ridiculous as comparing the quality of a product based on "supposed profit margins" and arguments about battery degradation. I don't understand why people like you who clearly aren't in the market for $150 Bluetooth headphones are disappointed that these aren't $50. Good quality Bluetooth headphones like the Jaybird X series and others sell at this price point -- I'm sorry that Apple making profit on these dictates they sell them to you on the cheap.

It's pretty simple -- if the affordances a product gives you is worth the asking price the market will dictate it -- pretty clearly these are hugely popular. Are they perfect? Hardly. However it's highly unlikely a business is selling a popular product for a fraction of the market price.

Sorry, every product has to be perfect and sold at cost of manufacture to the end user.

I've started looking at the beats x, and given that they're supposed to come out this month, I think I'll wait and see what the reception is. Close price point and all.

Just ordered some from Best Buy, says they'll ship by the middle of March. Hopefully that's just a really conservative estimate, if not it's crazy they're having this much trouble stocking them.

Did yours ship yet? I have a 55 dollar gift card I want to put towards it with Best Buy, but I want to confirm the March date is still possibly just a placeholder.

For anyone worried about them not staying in your ear/sound quality, the Powerbeats 3 have all the same wireless functions with the new W1 chip, but sound much better and you wont lose them.

I've been using these since December and absolutely love them, even though I'm normally not a 'Beats" person I really wanted something with the W1 chip that was small and compact.

Yea, I own these and use them daily. Fantastic fit. Good sound. They don't seal nor sound as good as Jaybird X3's but the fit and battery life more than make up for it.

I am interested in airpods but would like to see better battery life with them. They're something I'd use exclusively in the home when doing chores or listening to music in the bedroom. Glad to see the "they'll fall out" rumors get put mostly to rest.

Anion

My airpods are due to arrive March 8th...ughhhhh why is it taking two months.

Thinking of getting PowerBeats 3 vs Beats X. Anyone know potential sound quality differences? Both have the W1 chip apparently.

My airpods are due to arrive March 8th...ughhhhh why is it taking two months.

Thinking of getting PowerBeats 3 vs Beats X. Anyone know potential sound quality differences? Both have the W1 chip apparently.

I'm pretty annoyed too. There are so many opportunities to use it

jax

Banned
Saw my first pair in the wild today. Gave the dude a thumbs up and pointed at mine. That's still the only other person I've seen with them in like 2 months though, so they must be super sold out.

I can confirm Beats X will be in Apple stores on Friday. I was in a store on Wednesday and they had them in stock, the guy tried to sell them to me but the system didn't let him. So I'll be going by tomorrow and opening to get a pair.

Only black and white in store though, as far as I know.

I can confirm Beats X will be in Apple stores on Friday. I was in a store on Wednesday and they had them in stock, the guy tried to sell them to me but the system didn't let him. So I'll be going by tomorrow and opening to get a pair.

Only black and white in store though, as far as I know.

Yep. Stores can run them but can't sell them

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Doubt there will be a thread for the Beatsex but hopefully will have some impressions in here. My backbeat go are so frustrating I don't use them these days - the rubbery cable drags on my neck/collar/jacket so tugs on the ears (kind of pointless being wireless at that point), and I can't find a comfortable position for the wingtips to keep them in.

Airpods dont' let you easily control music although maybe with my apple watch I can manage. If the Beats X cable is ok that might be the route to go.

Edit: damn delivery on black ones is march already

mrkgoo

Doubt there will be a thread for the Beatsex but hopefully will have some impressions in here. My backbeat go are so frustrating I don't use them these days - the rubbery cable drags on my neck/collar/jacket so tugs on the ears (kind of pointless being wireless at that point), and I can't find a comfortable position for the wingtips to keep them in.

Airpods dont' let you easily control music although maybe with my apple watch I can manage. If the Beats X cable is ok that might be the route to go.

Edit: damn delivery on black ones is march already

I'm super keen on the beatsX myself and would love to have impressions here.

It seems like a decent compromise on the features of the airpods for the sake of better sound.

Here, they cost like 15% less so that's cool too.

Top Bottom