• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple AirPods | OT | Try not to lose them

icespide

Banned
alright ordered 2nd pair from Apple and BB, whichever one ships first. I'll surprise my wife and earn some marriage points

Luschient

Returning mine.

The sound quality during a phone call is absolutely horrific. Talking to other owners, this appears to be part of the design.

Dang, is it really that bad? I was going to pick a pair up once they were actually available in stores and would primarily be using them for work calls. If they suck that bad, I'll just look for something else.

SMattera

Nah. I think it's a limitation of the current bluetooth technology since you're sending and receiving at the same time. So there has to be some quality trade-off to keep everything stable.

I have other BT headphones with mics that work fine. It's something specific to AirPods.

For music and general listening, I would strongly recommend. But not if you plan to take a lot of calls.

right? freaking regular customers are the priority or some shit

Man fuck regular customers, I want my discount shit

But being real, most everything else they had on EPP day and date. iPads, MacBooks, even the delay on iPhones is now down to just a few weeks versus a few months. BeatsX, even

Vuze

I have other BT headphones with mics that work fine. It's something specific to AirPods.

For music and general listening, I would strongly recommend. But not if you plan to take a lot of calls.
That's weird then. I should try them in a call or during discord on the phone once to see how it sounds. All i know is that Siri indeed sounds low quality.

jwick

Unconfirmed Member
Am I like going deaf? I gotta crank the airpods all the way up in order to get decent volume, even in a fairly quiet room

Nope, it's because one of the shortcomings are they don't create a good seal (for most -- as ears vary). However, they seem to stay in there and not fall out.

Ferny

WSJ review of the BeatsX has this quote, which I hadnt seen before:

"Apple says the W1 chip, also found in the sportier $200 Powerbeats3 and the on-ear $300 Solo3 Wireless, consumes about a third of the power of a normal Bluetooth chip. As such, BeatsX delivers an impressive 8-hour battery life.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/beatsx...rent-your-thing-1487336400?mod=rss_Technology

I have the BeatsX and the battery is pretty great on it. Even better is the 5 minute quick charge thing. I really am liking them a lot.

Vuze

That's weird then. Why would they compromise sound quality if not for a technical limitation?
Am I like going deaf? I gotta crank the airpods all the way up in order to get decent volume, even in a fairly quiet room
idk man, sounds very unhealthy. They are a little more silent than the regular EarPods but I've found turning them up one or two notches is good enough to counter that. Half-way or a bit below is perfectly fine for me on the train. 2 to 3 at night.
Should probably wait for the noise canceling "skin" giga posted on the last page.

What's the fascination with the Beats X? There are so many options at that price if you're willing to go with wired BT headphones. Maybe the battery life is better by a bit but the W1 chip on the Solo 3 I'm using doesn't even seem that different from any other BT headphones I've used other than the initial pairing which you pretty much only need to do once.

Two Words

It feels like Apple has to always put some significant flaw in every product that they make. With the AirPods, they really should have some tactile controls and an option for hooking around the ear.

That's weird then. Why would they compromise sound quality if not for a technical limitation?

idk man, sounds very unhealthy. They are a little more silent than the regular EarPods but I've found turning them up one or two notches is good enough to counter that. Half-way or a bit below is perfectly fine for me on the train. 2 to 3 at night.
Should probably wait for the noise canceling "skin" giga posted on the last page.

Hmm maybe my earhole shape is weird. Because I can adjust them and hear a significant boost in volume but they always end up in the same place

It feels like Apple has to always put some significant flaw in every product that they make. With the AirPods, they really should have some tactile controls and an option for hooking around the ear.

If these hooked around the ear I wouldn't have bought them. I like having one earbud on a lot while walking around and had a pair of bluetooth earbuds that had the string connecting them which always ended up with it getting tangled somewhere or dragging the other out of my ear

JJH

Anyone use these for exercise? I have a pair of beats on ear headphones that hurt after awhile, thinking about getting some in-ear buds. Thanks.

giga

What's the fascination with the Beats X? There are so many options at that price if you're willing to go with wired BT headphones. Maybe the battery life is better by a bit but the W1 chip on the Solo 3 I'm using doesn't even seem that different from any other BT headphones I've used other than the initial pairing which you pretty much only need to do once.
Lightning port charging
Fast fuel
Magnets
Pretty good battery life

mrkgoo

Out of curiosity, why would you think they wouldn't work with beanie over them? assuming you meant over and not sticking airpots over the beanie, lol)

holygeesus

Banned
Out of curiosity, why would you think they wouldn't work with beanie over them? assuming you meant over and not sticking airpots over the beanie, lol)

Partly I wondered if covering them might cause interference and partly I wondered if they might get pulled out of the ear rather than secured.

Multiple articles have said you can use your AirPods to send texts with Siri, which I would want to do but every time I summon Siri to do that she makes me unlock my iPhone first. When it's in my pocket thats not a big deal but when I'm around the house it's kind of a dealbreaker. Am I doing something wrong here?

mrkgoo

Multiple articles have said you can use your AirPods to send texts with Siri, which I would want to do but every time I summon Siri to do that she makes me unlock my iPhone first. When it's in my pocket thats not a big deal but when I'm around the house it's kind of a dealbreaker. Am I doing something wrong here?

When listening are you listening to your phone or your watch?

Eh, I got nothing. (meaning I have no airpods, so I dunno)

When listening are you listening to your phone or your watch?

Eh, I got nothing. (meaning I have no airpods, so I dunno)

My phone. And yes, I can just use my watch to send messages but it's been called out in so many articles I'm just curious if that's just a generic blanket statement they're making or if it's possible and I'm doing it wrong

mrkgoo

My phone. And yes, I can just use my watch to send messages but it's been called out in so many articles I'm just curious if that's just a generic blanket statement they're making or if it's possible and I'm doing it wrong

Nah, I meant are your airpods listening to your watch or not. I thought maaaaybe a locked phone doesn't allow commands from the watch via airpods.

Maybe it's one of those security features like not being able to access find my friends via siri while phone is locked.

edit:....damn, I just checked, I can't message from my phone with siri on the lock screen either. just using direct siri - try that.
double edit: hang I lied....it works fine. siri wasn;t hearing me properly....huh.

Nah, I meant are your airpods listening to your watch or not. I thought maaaaybe a locked phone doesn't allow commands from the watch via airpods.

Maybe it's one of those security features like not being able to access find my friends via siri while phone is locked.

edit:....damn, I just checked, I can't message from my phone with siri on the lock screen either. just using direct siri - try that.
double edit: hang I lied....it works fine. siri wasn;t hearing me properly....huh.

Just tried it. I can send a message okay but Siri won't read my texts unless the phone is unlocked. Still annoying

mrkgoo

Just tried it. I can send a message okay but Siri won't read my texts unless the phone is unlocked. Still annoying
Siri doesn't seem to be a sort useful on the lock screen as she used to be. Is it because of hey Siri and trying to prevent inadvertent use of siri?

Siri doesn't seem to be a sort useful on the lock screen as she used to be. Is it because of hey Siri and trying to prevent inadvertent use of siri?

Yeah, they are. I guess the theory is that anyone can jack my phone and ask Siri to read messages and do stuff like unlock my door (which also requires my passcode) though I feel like they should have special provisions for AirPods/Bluetooth headsets, at least with a setting. The odds of someone taking my phone and headset at the same time are pretty minimal

I love everything about the airpods except for how they feel. Give me the exact same thing with those soft rubber nubs on the end instead and I'd be very happy.

jts

...hate me...
Yeah, they are. I guess the theory is that anyone can jack my phone and ask Siri to read messages and do stuff like unlock my door (which also requires my passcode) though I feel like they should have special provisions for AirPods/Bluetooth headsets, at least with a setting. The odds of someone taking my phone and headset at the same time are pretty minimal
Not to mention at least accepting authentication via Apple Watch, which is already a thing for the Mac.

Fliesen

ordered the blue beatsX, they show as 2-3 weeks shipping.
beatsx-blue-art.jpeg

I don't really like the white or black ones because they look rather bland / cheap - especially the white ones.

little bit 'worried' about how the whole neckstrap thing feels, but i'm psyched that i can go back to using the same headphones for my phone, my laptop and for when i'm running, again.

Guess Who

Banned
are beats supposed to be good now or something?

The post-Monster Beats have been on a pretty steady upward trend in quality. They're still overpriced for what you get, and people who want a neutral sound still won't like them, but otherwise they're alright.

These Earpods seem perfect for me. Any problem can be basically mitigated with my jailbreak (hold volume up to skip, volume down to go back, both for pause/play).

Only thing is... after seeing this in real life, they admittedly look stupid as hell

mrkgoo

They've got to be purposefully limiting stock at this point.

I don't see why. I never bought the argument for limiting stock to create artificial demand. Some instances sure, but most of the time, especially Apple products, they don't need to show off lines to anyone. It's much better to just sell, sell, sell and let the numbers do the talking.

And ESPECIALLY something like the Airpods, which are not making big news for anybody - no-one's creating long lines for them, they're just not news worthy products for the mainstream.

Vuze

They've got to be purposefully limiting stock at this point.
I don't really see why Apple would do this, especially for earphones. As the poster above pointed out, in their position it just makes more sense to sell as much as you can.
Only thing is... after seeing this in real life, they admittedly look stupid as hell
I'd argue it depends on the head shape. They look kinda funny on people with smaller heads because of the stems imo but outside of that? Just a matter of getting used to it.

I was walking from the gym and caught a glance of someone wearing them. It just turned me off so bad. I know I'm a tool but I'm just going to need to see more people wearing it for me to end up getting this. Or maybe I'll like paint them black or some shit

giga

are beats supposed to be good now or something?

Reviews have been overall positive, so yes.

ordered the blue beatsX, they show as 2-3 weeks shipping.

I don't really like the white or black ones because they look rather bland / cheap - especially the white ones.

little bit 'worried' about how the whole neckstrap thing feels, but i'm psyched that i can go back to using the same headphones for my phone, my laptop and for when i'm running, again.

Ha if anything the blue ones look cheap to me.

I'm still hoping someone tries to test these with a dongle on the PS4 and see if they can make them work.

Also is there any skin company saying they will take them and turn them (matte) black for a service fee?

Someone can snatch that shit and dip if like ur sitting on the subway or something

It would be easier to do that with wireless headphones like Beats Solo or Bose QC than Airpods that are smaller.

Top Bottom