• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple AirPods | OT | Try not to lose them

soldat7

The wired EarPods fall out of my ears all of the time. So I guess these are a no-go for me.

YMMV on this, but some say that the dangling wires can cause them to fall out more frequently than just the AirPods alone. Maybe clip the wires off and wear them around lol?

I'm taking a chance since the EarPods work just fine in my ears. I just have to wait forever to actually get them...

icespide

Banned
I had like 3 orders with Verizon in limbo a few months ago because it kept triggering my credit card fraud protection, I thought they would just eventually be cancelled. Welp a second pair just randomly showed up yesterday haha! Perfect timing to surprise my wife. I'll cancel the Best Buy and apple orders

Vuze

Okay, I have to ask again because this is so annoying.

1. AirPods are paired to iPhone/iCloud, work fine
2. Want to use the AirPods on my Windows 10 tablet while cycling
3. I pair them using the bluetooth menu, works fine. Watch Netflix
4. Finish cycling, pair them to iPhone by popping the lid. Works fine
5. Want to use them on the tablet again the next day, they don't connect. Have to remove the pairing in the bluetooth menu and re-pair using the "hold AirPod case button" method

The same is true for my Shield TV. Have to un-pair and re-pair all the time when I wanna use the AirPods ocassionaly.

Surely I must be missing something. This can't possibly be true for all bluetooth headphones? How would any sane person cope with this when using multiple devices? Or do they just buy 3 sets to cover each device they have?

Atleast from the AirPods I kinda thought they would reserve one "slot" for iCloud and atleast another one for a non-Apple device.
Can't find any good info on the web either. 20000 articles of "How to pair AirPods with your non-Apple device" but none is adressing the combo above it seems. Save me GAF

Okay, I have to ask again because this is so annoying.

1. AirPods are paired to iPhone/iCloud, work fine
2. Want to use the AirPods on my Windows 10 tablet while cycling
3. I pair them using the bluetooth menu, works fine. Watch Netflix
4. Finish cycling, pair them to iPhone by popping the lid. Works fine
5. Want to use them on the tablet again the next day, they don't connect. Have to remove the pairing in the bluetooth menu and re-pair using the "hold AirPod case button" method

The same is true for my Shield TV. Have to un-pair and re-pair all the time when I wanna use the AirPods ocassionaly.

Surely I must be missing something. This can't possibly be true for all bluetooth headphones? How would any sane person cope with this when using multiple devices? Or do they just buy 3 sets to cover each device they have?

Atleast from the AirPods I kinda thought they would reserve one "slot" for iCloud and atleast another one for a non-Apple device.
Can't find any good info on the web either. 20000 articles of "How to pair AirPods with your non-Apple device" but none is adressing the combo above it seems. Save me GAF

In my experience, it's more of a Bluetooth issue in general, or at least how other manufacturers are coding for it. It's part of the reason I cam back to Apple, and part of the reason I'm considering getting something with a W1 chip.

One week in, and man I love the Beats X. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I love the feeling of the neck strap, and the fit in my ears is damn near perfect. Very happy with them.

mrkgoo

One week in, and man I love the Beats X. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I love the feeling of the neck strap, and the fit in my ears is damn near perfect. Very happy with them.

I picked these up too. Initial impressions are sound is good - bass definitely not overdone (I'm not big on bass). The rubber feels a little flimsy like they may wear out sooner than later.

The wireless freedom and general design are great. Really comfortable.

They're a good compromise of features.

giga

After having both the BeatsX and AirPods, I want the latter but with the former's in-ear design and isolation.

The Beats feel like normal Bluetooth headphones to me while the AirPods feel more advanced because they auto connect to your phone when you put one in your ear. And then when you take one out it pauses while still remaining connected. And when you put it back it in it plays again. When you take the second one out they disconnect. And you can keep doing that back and forth. It just works so much more seamlessly and they feel like a true replacement to wired buds.

The charging case design is also brilliant. The Beats case is literally just a plain case while the AirPods case not only charges it to give it 24 hours extra juice, but does it neatly and with satisfying magnets.

So my plan is to return the BeatsX and wait to see how the earskinz for AirPods work. I just can't work without isolation from the daily noises of an office and coffee shops.

Blackhead

Redarse
colorware is skinning the airpods in various colors:
nUrL2pN.png

double the price though *smh*

I really want to get these, does anyone think they will offer some discount for these with the purchase of the next iPhone or something? I'm debating picking these up next month.

I figured it would happen eventually but not within a week of getting them lol.

I mean it's not like I'm gonna sell them ever so I guess it gives it 'character'

After having both the BeatsX and AirPods, I want the latter but with the former's in-ear design and isolation.

The Beats feel like normal Bluetooth headphones to me while the AirPods feel more advanced because they auto connect to your phone when you put one in your ear. And then when you take one out it pauses while still remaining connected. And when you put it back it in it plays again. When you take the second one out they disconnect. And you can keep doing that back and forth. It just works so much more seamlessly and they feel like a true replacement to wired buds.

The charging case design is also brilliant. The Beats case is literally just a plain case while the AirPods case not only charges it to give it 24 hours extra juice, but does it neatly and with satisfying magnets.

So my plan is to return the BeatsX and wait to see how the earskinz for AirPods work. I just can't work without isolation from the daily noises of an office and coffee shops.

Yeah, as much I HATED on Apple for removing the headphone jack...these airpods are truly amazing. I love them.

Blackhead

Redarse
I really want to get these, does anyone think they will offer some discount for these with the purchase of the next iPhone or something? I'm debating picking these up next month.

nope, I don't think Apple has ever any discounts with the iPhone. Heck some rumors say the next iPhone won't include any earphones in the box... That said, Apple has offered Beats headphone promotions in their Back-to-School (end of summer) events and it's possible the Airpods could be included in that.

nope, I don't think Apple has ever any discounts with the iPhone. Heck some rumors say the next iPhone won't include any earphones in the box... That said, Apple has offered Beats headphone promotions in their Back-to-School (end of summer) events and it's possible the Airpods could be included in that.

Ya I think I'll get these next month.
My only concern is them breaking due to sweat if I ran with them, but I guess I won't risk that and just run with wired buds. My sweat has killed many earphones in the past.

Not owning either, this is essentially my take as well. The hard plastic of the earpods is much worse that the silicone tips of my Anker Soundbuds, which are currently my faves. I want the fit of those, with the convenience of the airpods.

gamma

I randomly checked the Apple Store App and they were available for pickup tomorrow in my city. istocknow says they were available for like 7 minutes so I lucked out.

Exactly this. If it's gonna be wireless I'd rather go all the way like the AirPods than something with a strap. But I definately prefer silicone tips over the hard plastic AirPods.

the rumor is it won't include the 3.5mm dongle, zero chance it won't have the standard lightening EarPods

I feel like this is exactly what I said about the Beats X. They really just seem like any other headphones - with or without the W1 chip. If any other company released the Beats X exactly as they are, I doubt anyone would care about them.

once you go completely wireless you don't go back lol. I've been traveling a lot with them, love just putting them in the charging case during the TSA security check and by the time I'm through I'm back at 100%

mrkgoo

This is absolutely true.

I have the beats X, but in the beatsX vs Airpods discussion, each have their compromises.

BeatsX:
Pros:
- better sound, mostly due to better isolation. This is a BIG plus.
- Cheaper (I know it's only $10 in US, but here in NZ, it's $40, ~15%)
- inline controls
- longer battery life

Airpods:
- TRUE wireless. This is a BIG deal.
- auto off, auto detection of use/mono, etc.
- charging case

Of course, the cons are the opposite of the other devices pros.

and there are a few give and takes that are probably more preference, such as the notion that the beatsX are less "loseable" by their nature.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Probably been asked - are these worth getting for my Android phone? (Google Pixel)

Would I be better served with a different wireless earbud? For the record, I've tried the airbuds with my friends iPhone and loved them.

giga

I feel like this is exactly what I said about the Beats X. They really just seem like any other headphones - with or without the W1 chip. If any other company released the Beats X exactly as they are, I doubt anyone would care about them.

Well, I would still recommend them for people in the Apple ecosystem because they do have features to differentiate themselves from other bluetooth buds, like fast fuel and the lightning port. But AirPods are definitely the future and true replacement for wired buds.

Vuze

Probably been asked - are these worth getting for my Android phone? (Google Pixel)

Would I be better served with a different wireless earbud? For the record, I've tried the airbuds with my friends iPhone and loved them.
Well, they act like any other BT pair on Android and you lose a lot of what makes them stand out on Apple devices.
But if you loved the comfort, look, sound etc... why not?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm sittting here on Sunday morning listening to podcasts with my beats x in my left ear only - I want to be able to pay attention to my surroundings. I realise I'm wasting the battery which is driving the right ear, plus it's leaking sound to my environment. An AirPod would have been convenient for situations like this.

Anion

When did you place you order?
I ordered mine from
Best Buy on January 19th and it is finally arriving Monday haha

I have to say tho just walking into the Apple Store might suprise you. Sometimes they get like 10 or so and it doesn't show on the website because it isn't a significant amount

ZeroX03

Banned
Gonna get my Switch sorted and then I think finally order one of these bad boys. My addresss has been tad inconsistent due to travel and didn't want to import for warranty reasons but I think I'll be settled long enough to wait the six fucking weeks.

Got my pair in today and somehow they are more secure than the Earpods, I'll still gear the Earskinz for when I work out, sound quality is actually pretty good.

mrkgoo

Got the Beats X. Returning those, too. Sound quality is garbage for $150 bluetooth neckbuds.

I think they sound pretty good. Were you actually inserting them into the ear canal fro a proper seal?

Since eI had etymotics, I've discovered that a good seal in the ear canal is the key to decent sound for in-ear buds.

ZeroX03

Banned
I found them in the wild! Finally!

The store just got in a couple from Apple for the first time ever and I was there returning something by coincidence, saved me from having to wait six weeks for an online order.

SMattera

I think they sound pretty good. Were you actually inserting them into the ear canal fro a proper seal?

Since eI had etymotics, I've discovered that a good seal in the ear canal is the key to decent sound for in-ear buds.

My $90 Backbeats sound better.

SMattera

I don't doubt that. But were you sealing them in the ear canal?

BeatsX sound great to me. Different than my other earphones. I'm not a big bass head.

Yes.

The problem is they sound metallic, especially when listening to EDM. It's not garbage, but my expectations are much higher for this price bracket. I hope the W1 chip makes it to more headphones. As it stands, it's not that much more inconvenient to go into the settings and pair headphones manually. Certainly, the tradeoff isn't worth the loss of sound quality and higher price tag. The lightning charge port is nice, though I noticed my backup battery couldn't charge them.

Question for folks who've been using the AirPods for a while now:

• Do you find using Siri to change songs/adjust volume awkward or annoying?

I ask, because I change songs/volume a TON with the corded headphones. While this is keeping me from purchasing, I am curious if any owners find this to be a problem.

Thanks!

I ask, because I change songs/volume a TON with the corded headphones. While this is keeping me from purchasing, I am curious if any owners find this to be a problem.

Thanks!

I wish I could just tap to skip songs or change volume.

mrkgoo

Yes.

The problem is they sound metallic, especially when listening to EDM. It's not garbage, but my expectations are much higher for this price bracket. I hope the W1 chip makes it to more headphones. As it stands, it's not that much more inconvenient to go into the settings and pair headphones manually. Certainly, the tradeoff isn't worth the loss of sound quality and higher price tag. The lightning charge port is nice, though I noticed my backup battery couldn't charge them.

Ah, fair enough.

Interestingly, I don't get what the big deal is about W1 pairing - sure it's easier, but it's not like regular bluetooth pairing is crazy difficult. I just figure the W1 shines in actual connection quality (at least that was what I was presuming).

I love my BeatsX so far.

icespide

Banned

Thanks!

it's a bit awkward, definitely not as good as just having the buttons on the headphones. I've found that I can pretty much quietly mumble commands and Siri will understand them fine, which is good.

I use the controls on my Apple Watch to change volume/songs and that works really well, but of course you would have to have an Apple Watch for that

ZeroX03

Banned
I love these. They're so comfy, they fit perfectly, they don't feel loose at all. I forget I'm wearing them! I can just double tap my ears and music plays! It's wonderful.

So far they've stayed pretty in sync, they seem to only skip a tiny bit when my phone has like a sharp drop movement (like going down two steps at once). The range on an iPhone is fantastic and covers my house. The range from my PC is a bit less. They work nicely on both.

My only complaint so far is the case. The lid feels flimsy. Feels like you hit it the wrong way it'll snap off. The magnets might mean it's still usable but still babying it.

Anion

So I got mine and I love them but they seem to be cutting out when I have my phone in my pocket and I'm walking outside. I don't understand why, so I moved my iPhone 7 to my chest pocket and the issue disappeared? My pants aren't made of lead, so I don't understand why the signal cuts lol.

I will keep track of this. It could just be the wifi signal cuts so my actual song is cutting on Spotify cause this happened only outside as I walked between buildings.

Top Bottom