• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple AirPods | OT | Try not to lose them

I switched over from Android to iPhone last week and man, the AirPods work so much smoother with an IOS device. Don't get me wrong, they were still great with my Android phone, but it's nice having the full feature set available on iPhone.

For whatever reason, renaming my AirPods wasn't working on my iPhone, and the only way I could get them to rename was to shut off my iPhone, Mac, and then use the iPad to rename. Strange.

Also, I get a shorter range using the bluetooth on my Late 2012 iMac than my 6S Plus.

A bit too frequently to my liking, sound cuts out, or they get a bit loud for just a second, or they desync and one earbud is different than the other. I bought them from Best Buy, so I don't know how long I can use them and see if they get better/worse before I can exchange them or get them checked out at an Apple Store. The other issue I have is that I can't see the battery life on my Apple Watch. Do I have to actually connect them to my Apple Watch to get the battery life? If so, that's a bummer since I see no real reason to ever connect them to my Watch.

Switching between devices is super quick. I wish there was an Apple adapter to let me connect them to legacy 3.5mm so I can use them with my television.

The range on these things are phenomenal. They have twice the range as my previous cheap bluetooth headphones. I haven't made a call yet, but I assume the microphone is better.

So, other than the desync/volume issue, they are amazing. And I love the keychain case I got. I can attach it to my keys or clip to a belt loop.

Anion

For whatever reason, renaming my AirPods wasn't working on my iPhone, and the only way I could get them to rename was to shut off my iPhone, Mac, and then use the iPad to rename. Strange.

Also, I get a shorter range using the bluetooth on my Late 2012 iMac than my 6S Plus.

A bit too frequently to my liking, sound cuts out, or they get a bit loud for just a second, or they desync and one earbud is different than the other. I bought them from Best Buy, so I don't know how long I can use them and see if they get better/worse before I can exchange them or get them checked out at an Apple Store. The other issue I have is that I can't see the battery life on my Apple Watch. Do I have to actually connect them to my Apple Watch to get the battery life? If so, that's a bummer since I see no real reason to ever connect them to my Watch.

Switching between devices is super quick. I wish there was an Apple adapter to let me connect them to legacy 3.5mm so I can use them with my television.

The range on these things are phenomenal. They have twice the range as my previous cheap bluetooth headphones. I haven't made a call yet, but I assume the microphone is better.

So, other than the desync/volume issue, they are amazing. And I love the keychain case I got. I can attach it to my keys or clip to a belt loop.

I got mine from Best Buy as well. Like I posted on the last page, mine also is cutting out randomly only outdoors tho when my phone is in the pocket. I wonder if an update or something will fix it?

I got mine from Best Buy as well. Like I posted on the last page, mine also is cutting out randomly only outdoors tho when my phone is in the pocket. I wonder if an update or something will fix it?

Don't know. On my iMac, I'm two feet in front of it and it cuts out from time to time, so who knows. Maybe it's usage of bluetooth? Like, I'm typing and using the track pad so it causes a delay in the AirPods?

Also, I am watching a video and used Siri to increase the volume. Problem is the Siri dialogue box on the Mac didn't disappear after increasing the volume so I still have to get up and close the window. So, I should have just gotten up to change the volume in the first place. lol

Don't know. On my iMac, I'm two feet in front of it and it cuts out from time to time, so who knows. Maybe it's usage of bluetooth? Like, I'm typing and using the track pad so it causes a delay in the AirPods?

Also, I am watching a video and used Siri to increase the volume. Problem is the Siri dialogue box on the Mac didn't disappear after increasing the volume so I still have to get up and close the window. So, I should have just gotten up to change the volume in the first place. lol

My big pet peeve with using Siri is that I listen to a lot of podcasts through Overcast, and I can tell her to skip ahead x minutes and it works fine... but it won't automatically start playing the podcast again. I have to summon Siri again and tell her to "play" manually

Didn't know where else to ask this so here goes:

I have a question about bluetooth pairing. Is it possible for my phone & ipad to play music through bluetooth headphones (in this case Beats X), without ever having been paired with them?

The situation:
-I fucked up and left my Beats X headphones at gym in aftermarket case (bought from amazon)
-Went back and checked the parking lot, my location at the gym, and with the gym staff.
-Decided to look around for anyone with Beats X at the gym.
-One guy was sitting on a bike with Beats X on
-I got on the treadmill behind him and decided to connect my phone with the Beats X listed under my iphone 7+ bluetooth devices.
-The connection is successful
-The guy immediately takes off his beats x headphones, puts them in his pocket, and switches to a pair of wired headphones.
-I tell the assistant manager that I am suspicious and he offered to go talk to the guy.
-Unfortunately, there was a language barrier issue
-Not knowing what else to do I call the police down to file a report
-While the officer is talking to the guy, I again pair with the headphones, which at this time are in the same exact case I bought from amazon, and this time played music from my phone on them.
-When asked how long he's had them, the guy said 2 months (think they release ~2/10?)
-The guy did not admit to finding them, but offered them to me because he didn't want any trouble.

So, did I mistakenly assume that these headphones are mine because I don't understand how bluetooth connections work? If so, I will find the guy and givethem back to him. Please help. I'm not sure if I should feel like a piece of garbage. Thanks.

Also, BeatsX headphones are fantastic, I would just prefer not to have to buy another pair.

Nah, the headphones have to be in a specific mode to be paired with. If the Bluetooth headphones you paired with we're already in your "my devices" list then those were yours. New devices, even BeatsX, would have shown up as a new device down below

Aka I'm reasonably positive based on that story that they were yours

People don't just offer up $150 headphones because they don't want no trouble.

Also this.

Thanks for the responses. I just don't want to have stolen anything from any one.

Edit: lol at the below. Just wanted make sure I'm not mistaken about the tech end of things.

jts

...hate me...
Now you really messed up.

You got that man to give you his precious Beats X that he got 2 months ago when they weren't available yet, that connect to your phone without even pairing them, that are exactly like yours which you had just left in that place, that he takes to the gym alongside his other headphones because you know... you can never have too many headphones on you. And that he hides when they suddenly connect to your phone.

Shame on you.

Vuze

Didn't know where else to ask this so here goes:

I have a question about bluetooth pairing. Is it possible for my phone & ipad to play music through bluetooth headphones (in this case Beats X), without ever having been paired with them?

Also, BeatsX headphones are fantastic, I would just prefer not to have to buy another pair.
This would've made for an excellent prank opportunity with some horror movie "I'm watching you" etc lines :p
But nah, as the previous posters have pointed out, these are 100% yours.

mrkgoo

Now you really messed up.

You got that man to give you his precious Beats X that he got 2 months ago when they weren't available yet, that connect to your phone without even pairing them, that are exactly like yours which you had just left in that place, that he takes to the gym alongside his other headphones because you know... you can never have too many headphones on you. And that he hides when they suddenly connect to your phone.

Shame on you.

Lol. The biggest thing, besides the technical aspect,s really though is the fact he gave them up. No-one would give up anything like that to "avoid any trouble".

Man, I get he may have found them, but he should'v manned up when approached and gone yeah, I found them.

Just wanted to pop in and remind everyone that removing an earbud to pause is a revelation and easily worth the price of admission

Just wanted to pop in and remind everyone that removing an earbud to pause is a revelation and easily worth the price of admission
Problem I have is that putting it back in doesn't always start up stuff again, nor does ending a phone call. Maybe it is an Overcast problem, but podcasts don't resume after a phone call or putting in an AirPod. So, after a phone call ends, I have to activate Siri and say "resume playback".

Problem I have is that putting it back in doesn't always start up stuff again, nor does ending a phone call. Maybe it is an Overcast problem, but podcasts don't resume after a phone call or putting in an AirPod. So, after a phone call ends, I have to activate Siri and say "resume playback".

Seems to be an Overcast problem because it works with music, but like you, Overcast doesn't resume

Regardless I submitted a bug report about it just in case it is an iOS thing. I'll use Siri every so often to skip ahead in a podcast "skip ahead one minute" and then I have to manually say "resume" afterwards, while music will just keep playing after the skip

Seems to be an Overcast problem because it works with music, but like you, Overcast doesn't resume

Regardless I submitted a bug report about it just in case it is an iOS thing. I'll use Siri every so often to skip ahead in a podcast "skip ahead one minute" and then I have to manually say "resume" afterwards, while music will just keep playing after the skip
Yup. I've had that problem as well and submitted it as a bug too. It's also inconsistent. I've even had it happen when trying to change the volume.

Ryuukan

DUDE YES!

Your mic works perfectly as well?

The module has a different mode to swap to for enabling the mic (the audio quality takes a hit)

I only tested it using the built in mic test on the PS4 and the voice recognition. I don't really do online chat tho, sorry.

The module has a different mode to swap to for enabling the mic (the audio quality takes a hit)

I only tested it using the built in mic test on the PS4 and the voice recognition. I don't really do online chat tho, sorry.

How do you swap to enable different modes and can it be swapped mid gaming?

Shockingly (and I do mean shockingly) college bookstores have been getting some in stock, including this one in Cincinnati

I live in California, and they ship! Got my FedEx tracking number just now, ordered on Saturday. I was super skeptical that when they said "in stock" they were, but by tomorrow (i paid for overnight shipping) I'll be living proof. Get em while they last

Clipse

Picked up a pair of these last night and have been using them at work for the past 2-3 hours. These things are amazing.

Apple was right and I commend their courage.

to those still wondering, I purchased this to use the airpods with a PS4

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G3J1I5M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

works 👍
Still looking for a 3.5mm legacy adapter like this that has long battery life and distance.

Also, I flew with AirPods and the sound leakage was a bit bad in that I had a hard time watching a movie even at full blast. Any recommendations on covers or something that can help sound insulation or anything? Since I will only be using them for travel, I don't really care if I can't close the case with them on. All I want is batter sound insulation every once in a while.

giga

Went for a run with the airpods for the first time today. Didn't fall out. And the lack of isolation is kind of perfect for hearing your environment. 😌

Garou

Still looking for a 3.5mm legacy adapter like this that has long battery life and distance.

Also, I flew with AirPods and the sound leakage was a bit bad in that I had a hard time watching a movie even at full blast. Any recommendations on covers or something that can help sound insulation or anything? Since I will only be using them for travel, I don't really care if I can't close the case with them on. All I want is batter sound insulation every once in a while.

If you want real sound-insulation on a plane you shouldn't look at AirPods, but rather at over-ear headphones with active noise-cancelling (for example Bose QC35 in the premium-range)

If you want real sound-insulation on a plane you shouldn't look at AirPods, but rather at over-ear headphones with active noise-cancelling (for example Bose QC35 in the premium-range)

I don't want that at all. I want something that will mildly increase sound isolation.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Man, I want a pair of these, but I am prone to losing my old earbuds constantly. Would have to baby these things, plus they're still hard to find somehow.

btkadams

I don't want that at all. I want something that will mildly increase sound isolation.
There is something called earskinz for EarPods that are little silicone covers. I've never used them and don't know if they make an AirPod version, but perhaps something like that could help?

ESBL

There is something called earskinz for EarPods that are little silicone covers. I've never used them and don't know if they make an AirPod version, but perhaps something like that could help?

Supposed to be out next month, you can't keep them in the case if you use them.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Holy shit. Setup of these things really is magic. The discreetness of an earbud and the sheer lack of dangling cords of a wireless headset is top notch. But it's that setup man.. 1 button tap and you're done.

Thank you for the suggestion. That looks like what I want where I can just put them on for the duration of the flight and then take them off. Do you or does anyone here have any past usage with the older model for earbuds? I wonder how much sound they do isolated or how much louder they are.

entremet

Shockingly (and I do mean shockingly) college bookstores have been getting some in stock, including this one in Cincinnati

I live in California, and they ship! Got my FedEx tracking number just now, ordered on Saturday. I was super skeptical that when they said "in stock" they were, but by tomorrow (i paid for overnight shipping) I'll be living proof. Get em while they last

Makes sense. Great for pairing with your Macbook, which are ubiquitous on college campuses these days lol.

Vuze

Just a heads up, the ES3 EarSkinz are now available for preorder at their site and are shipping at the end of the month. Picked up a pair for when doing chores and workout, hope the add some extra noise canceling which would be nice to have in these situations.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Man, I really hate how mine are bright white. Really, Apple? No black? The colorware is pricey and leaves me with no warranty support.

Is there only an option to double tap? No single or triple tap? I can't use Google Play Music with Siri, which is annoying. I've got to stick with my Apple Watch for music controls.

giga

BeatsX $120 on Amazon. Comes with $30 iTunes/App Store/Apple Music credit. Got one for work since I need noise isolation which the AirPods don't have.

So, I had a few long flights lined up before the EarSkins 3 were going to be released, so I just bought the second generation version. They fit the AirPods, but you can't charge with them on nor close the case (both problems not addressed in the new versions, I think) and the "remove to suspend playback" feature doesn't work. I also think they are ugly and don't feel nice in the ear, and because AirPods fit great in my ear already, they would probably hurt my ears after hours and hours of use. The one thing I think the new model is supposed to fix is the remove to pause/play feature. Other than that, I don't think it adds anything. You still can't charge, and you still can't close the case with them on.

That said, they got the job done. I can hear slightly better while wearing them, which is all I wanted. I can now "comfortably" watch movies on an airplane with AirPods. I just put them on when I get on board and take them off when I land. Also, if you are flying, make sure to turn the AirPods' double tap to pause/play and not Siri. And, after finishing a movie, or maybe after an hour or two, remove them from your ears, let them charge long enough to get a drink of water or something, and resume.

Those are my tips for flying with AirPods.

Top Bottom