• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple AirPods | OT | Try not to lose them

Giolon

Ever since firmware 3.5.1, the standby battery life in the case is rock solid. It can sit for days and it won't lose even a single % of charge (assuming the airpods are already charged to 100%).

I unequivocally love these things now.

Doubt there will be a thread for the Beatsex but hopefully will have some impressions in here. My backbeat go are so frustrating I don't use them these days - the rubbery cable drags on my neck/collar/jacket so tugs on the ears (kind of pointless being wireless at that point), and I can't find a comfortable position for the wingtips to keep them in.

Airpods dont' let you easily control music although maybe with my apple watch I can manage. If the Beats X cable is ok that might be the route to go.

Edit: damn delivery on black ones is march already

I'm super keen on the beatsX myself and would love to have impressions here.

It seems like a decent compromise on the features of the airpods for the sake of better sound.

Here, they cost like 15% less so that's cool too.

Ya'll related or something. I just noticed your similar names

Yeah I've had no issues with my connection. If someone's having that many disconnects it's time for an exchange.
I left my phone in the kitchen, while dropping the kids off at the pool in the basement. Double tapped Siri and listened to a podcast. Even sent some text messages. No connectivity issues AT ALL.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
John Lewis in the uk have stock so I ordered for collection tomorrow. Can then try them out on the commute from Monday

So I've been having continued issues with my pods and finally decided upon taking them in a few days ago. Got a new pair and have the same issue with my iPhone 7 plus. So now I'm unsure as to what is going on, but it wasn't specific to the pods I had. I think something is a little funny with the W1 chip on my phone. I'm going back tomorrow to verify the issues I'm having so they can be escalated to a higher level service tech. I think short of an actual engineer I won't be getting the experience I payed for, which is a major bummer.

bought the Beat X's in grey to check out them out while I get this sorted out.

So I've been having continued issues with my pods and finally decided upon taking them in a few days ago. Got a new pair and have the same issue with my iPhone 7 plus. So now I'm unsure as to what is going on, but it wasn't specific to the pods I had. I think something is a little funny with the W1 chip on my phone. I'm going back tomorrow to verify the issues I'm having so they can be escalated to a higher level service tech. I think short of an actual engineer I won't be getting the experience I payed for, which is a major bummer.

bought the Beat X's in grey to check out them out while I get this sorted out.

Your phone doesn't have a W1 chip in it. What's going on?

giga

The auto play and pause feature when physically putting them on and off is definitely the best feature and might make me keep these over the Beats X.

Your phone doesn't have a W1 chip in it. What's going on?

You can blame the Genius' at the Apple store for telling me it did have one in it. I honestly thought it did, but regardless I'm gonna have to see if anything can be done about it. When they worked they were perfect, but when they didn't it frustrated the hell out of me.

Beats X by next weekend should make things interesting.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The auto play and pause feature when physically putting them on and off is definitely the best feature and might make me keep these over the Beats X.

I want
-airpods lack of cables so they don't snag on my collar
- Beats X remote control inline so I can skip tracks and change volume easily
- Airpods auto on/off when you take them out of the case/ears
- Beats X silicon tips for better noise isolation
- Airpods self-contained charging (not requiring a lightning cable to top them up)
- Beats X battery life between charges.

Also I don't really understand the fuss about the W1. First time pairing maybe but after that it seems similar to other BT devices. auto connects to last connected device. Swipe up in control centre to choose the headphones Vs go to BT settings and tap on device to switch headphones.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ooh, you get a card in the box of the Beats X for 3 months free Apple music, but when you go to redeem it, the screen has a little button underneath saying 'give me app store credit'. Press that and you get £29.97 in app store credit. As I spend money on the app store regularly anyway, that effectively brings the cost of the earphones down to £100.

Blackhead

Redarse
ooh, you get a card in the box for 3 months free Apple music, but when you go to redeem it, the screen has a little button underneath saying 'give me app store credit'. Press that and you get £29.97 in app store credit. As I spend money on the app store regularly anyway, that effectively brings the cost of the earphones down to £100.

wait what? apple is giving free credit with airpods?

giga

I want
-airpods lack of cables so they don't snag on my collar
- Beats X remote control inline so I can skip tracks and change volume easily
- Airpods auto on/off when you take them out of the case/ears
- Beats X silicon tips for better noise isolation
- Airpods self-contained charging (not requiring a lightning cable to top them up)
- Beats X battery life between charges.

Also I don't really understand the fuss about the W1. First time pairing maybe but after that it seems similar to other BT devices. auto connects to last connected device. Swipe up in control centre to choose the headphones Vs go to BT settings and tap on device to switch headphones.
Haha, so it would be a wireless remote control? I think they probably think the Apple Watch is that. I agree with the silicone tips though — I used my airpods in a coffee shop yesterday and I had to crank up the volume to block out the noise.

Benefits of the W1 are stronger connectivity, range, and battery life. Reviewers have noted those benefits so it doesn't seem like just marketing. Also, why are you swiping up to choose the output device when it should auto connect when you take them out of the case and play when you put them in your ear?

wait what? apple is giving free credit with airpods?

Beats X.

Vuze

I used my airpods in a coffee shop yesterday and I had to crank up the volume to block out the noise.
Yeah, I'd also love some kind of noise cancelation tips for when I'm doing chores (vacuuming the house especially). Anything out there yet?
They are perfect as is for walking around town etc.

Barzul

Man I ordered my BeatsX from Bestbuy on release date, but it's taking forever to move into shipping, guess Amazon has spoiled me.

I'm interested in getting these to work with my PS4 Pro.

Before I purchased the BTD 500 USB Dongle to have my old Jaybird X2 work with my PS4. I was able to get audio and my mic to work.

Can anyone guess if the Airpods would also work with this dongle or another dongle?

gamma

Man, I really want these but the EarPods hurt my ears after a short while so these will probably too.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

icespide

Banned
my wife made fun of AirPods when they were announced and thought they were silly. Now that I have mine and has seen how they work (especially with the charging case) she wants a pair haha

giga

So far my one big complaint is the lack of noise isolation. It's a big change from in ear buds that I'm used to. Will definitely try the BeatsX to see how they are.

my wife made fun of AirPods when they were announced and thought they were silly. Now that I have mine and has seen how they work (especially with the charging case) she wants a pair haha
Delete Facebook, lawyer up, hit the gym (with your AirPods).

Same. Girlfriend made fun of me when I was trying them on at the store, now she really wants one. She did the same thing with the Apple Watch as well

My bank asked me AGAIN to confirm my purchase at like 2AM saturday night. I wonder if that's the reason why they're not shipping...

JayDub

Do these work with two iPhones simultaneously? I have my personal and a work iPhone I have with me at all times. When I activate one for AirPods the other one de-syncs.

My other Bluetooth headphones work for both simultaneously, so it shouldn't be a Bluetooth limitation.

jax

Banned
Now that the Switch has confirmed BT Headphone support, I'm stoked to pair one of these to the Switch, the other to the iPhone app for voice chat!

Took the plunge on BeatsX black. They arrive Wednesday. I like how I agonized over AirPods or BeatsX and because of the way Apple spaced out release I ended up buying both. Well played, Tim.

ZeroX03

Banned
I actually saw someone using these in the wild the other day. They looked good, noticeable but not standing out garishly. Would've asked where he got them but he seemed to be in a call.

Now that the Switch has confirmed BT Headphone support, I'm stoked to pair one of these to the Switch, the other to the iPhone app for voice chat!

Is that possible? Don't they both sync via the case?

I was definitely excited to see Bluetooth for Switch but don't the specs page say they're limited in one mode?

Blackhead

Redarse
Do these work with two iPhones simultaneously? I have my personal and a work iPhone I have with me at all times. When I activate one for AirPods the other one de-syncs.

My other Bluetooth headphones work for both simultaneously, so it shouldn't be a Bluetooth limitation.

No they don't

Ferny

Took the plunge on BeatsX black. They arrive Wednesday. I like how I agonized over AirPods or BeatsX and because of the way Apple spaced out release I ended up buying both. Well played, Tim.
Kinda thinking of the same actually. I just bought the Beats x and they come Wednesday as well. Gonna use them for a bit. Might keep the Airpods for work and use the Beats x for working out and anything outside of that.

Vuze

Silly question perhaps but has anyone managed to pair these to an "unsupported" Bluetooth device (say, Windows PCs or Android), then use them with your Watch/iPhone etc. and not having to run through the pairing process again on the unsupported device?
Maybe I'm just missing sth, first BT headphones. I'd like to use them with my Windows tablet occasionaly and that works fine but I have to repair them every time.

Silly question perhaps but has anyone managed to pair these to an "unsupported" Bluetooth device (say, Windows PCs or Android), then use them with your Watch/iPhone etc. and not having to run through the pairing process again on the unsupported device?
Maybe I'm just missing sth, first BT headphones. I'd like to use them with my Windows tablet occasionaly and that works fine but I have to repair them every time.

Yeah, I've found the same thing when pairing with non-apple devices. I like to use them with my laptop occasionally, but it's hassle to pair them with the laptop and then have to repair them with my Android phone later on.

Maybe I'm just missing some amazing trick though.

Costa Kid

another problem I'm having When I'm using windows media player or iTunes the sound comes out crisp on AirPods but when I use chrome or IE the sound comes out as if I'm in a call ? Happen to anyone else ?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Most decent Bluetooth headphones switch easily between devices - before my beats x I just went to the BT settings on a device I'd previously paired with, and they'd switch immediately to that device. I'd expect AirPods to meet that basic level of functionality

Most decent Bluetooth headphones switch easily between devices - before my beats x I just went to the BT settings on a device I'd previously paired with, and they'd switch immediately to that device. I'd expect AirPods to meet that basic level of functionality

Yeah, I should have been more clear. I don't actually have to re-pair the AirPods (using the button on the case) each time. I simply have to go into my settings and manually tell it to pair them (they're already listed).

icespide

Banned
Yeah, I should have been more clear. I don't actually have to re-pair the AirPods (using the button on the case) each time. I simply have to go into my settings and manually tell it to pair them (they're already listed).

there's no other way for it to work, it only connects to the last thing it was connected to. It works the same even on iOS devices, if I was last listening on my iPad but want to switch to iPhone I have to use control center to connect to my AirPods

jts

...hate me...
there's no other way for it to work, it only connects to the last thing it was connected to. It works the same even on iOS devices, if I was last listening on my iPad but want to switch to iPhone I have to use control center to connect to my AirPods
It only switches automatically between iPhone and Apple Watch, and that's because the Apple Watch is basically a slave device to the iPhone.

But I actually find their pairing memory to be pretty awesome, as I've yet to find a limit to it. I remember other devices having a limit and sometimes even advertising they're capable of being paired to 2 devices as a feature, like my UE Boom speaker. But do other bluetooth headphones feature that kind of memory like the AirPods?

jax

Banned
It only switches automatically between iPhone and Apple Watch, and that's because the Apple Watch is basically a slave device to the iPhone.

But I actually find their pairing memory to be pretty awesome, as I've yet to find a limit to it. I remember other devices having a limit and sometimes even advertising they're capable of being paired to 2 devices as a feature, like my UE Boom speaker. But do other bluetooth headphones feature that kind of memory like the AirPods?
Probably just the w1 stuff.

SMattera

Returning mine.

The sound quality during a phone call is absolutely horrific. Talking to other owners, this appears to be part of the design.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Best Buy was still displaying a mid-march ship date, but I ordered a second set for my wife on 2/10 and they just showed up yesterday (2/15). Might be worth putting in an order for those interested.

ESBL

I have no idea why I haven't gotten these from BB when I ordered these last month. I think I'll just order another one.

Omikaru

So tempted to pull the trigger on these. I had some wired earphones that went bust (guess what? It was a frayed connector) and I'm sick of wires. Been reading reviews and it seems mostly positive.

I think I'll sleep on it and make a decision tomorrow. Just £159 is a hard pill to swallow.

Top Bottom