• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Cuts Vision Pro Shipments as Demand Falls 'Sharply Beyond Expectations'

Spyxos

Apple has dropped the number of Vision Pro units that it plans to ship in 2024, going from an expected 700 to 800k units to just 400k to 450k units, according to Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Apple-Vision-Pro-Dual-Loop-Band-Orange-Feature-2.jpg

Orders have been scaled back before the Vision Pro has launched in markets outside of the United States, which Kuo says is a sign that demand in the U.S. has "fallen sharply beyond expectations." As a result, Apple is expected to take a "conservative view" of headset demand when the Vision Pro launches in additional countries.

Apple is expecting Vision Pro shipments to decline year-over-year in 2025 compared to 2024, and the company is said to be "reviewing and adjusting" its headset product roadmap. Kuo does not believe there will be a new Vision Pro model in 2025, an adjustment to a prior report suggesting a modified version of the Vision Pro would enter mass production late next year.

Thaedolus

I would love to have one, but for me it would still be a $3500 toy. In a couple years when I’m doing the RV life and working remote from the middle of nowhere, I think it could actually make sense. But for now…can’t justify it

BlackTron

I'm impressed with how many people bought it already. If that many people bought it at that price just to be beta testers, I would still make the revision...

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Ive seen a few out in the wild but it doesn't come off impressive. It's like giant ski goggles that you are then burdened with when you want to take it off.

Some cool tech and fun features but that novelty would wear off fast.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I thought Sony were only supplying 450k screens for the year? Selling 450k of a headset that starts at $3500 is not bad - I can't believe apple expected to sell more than that.

Last edited:

Hugare

They should sell it at a loss to make it more popular, and recoup some of said loss with software sales, just like MS and Sony does with consoles

But Apple is probably trying to sell it with some huge profit margin, 'cause of course

demigod

I was just thinking about this thing yesterday, realizing after the launch and the idiots walking around with it on, I haven't seen or heard a single thing about it from anyone.
Let’s face it, the people who got them are really rich folks or influencers who got them for free. Nobody in their right mind would pay $3500 for this. I haven’t seen anyone wear this in public yet.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This won't be mass market until its $999 or less. No surprise here, arrogant than apple thought 800k would sell. I bet a ton of the people who bought it don't even use it anymore.

Chittagong

Gold Member
That can’t be a shock to anyone. Wife and I got them for our long travels, but besides the flights we haven’t taken them out. They are too clunky and fragile to keep kicking around in even the bedroom. Always the case.

They were awesome for a Dune recap, this is my flight:

7jtXX7F.jpeg

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I don't think there's a use case for these outside very niche-y industry applications, much like microsoft's hololens.

Ever since the concept for an all-envolving screen that we can wear came out, it's always been billed as "the future", but it's looking like people, generally speaking, aren't keen on the concept.

I think the interesting comparison is with the TV: the first public display of an electronic television was in 1934 - it became an inmmediate success and 30 years later everyone had one at home in america. Meanwhile we've had VR headsets since the 1980s, the sony glasstron line (a commercially released product that anyone could buy) released in 1996.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Valiant first try. Of course it wasn’t going to sell gangbusters but shoutout to the early adopters.

Headsets still have a long way to go.

Ownage

That's some real nasty Koolaid if they think the average consumer has $3,500 to drop on some dorky looking nonsense. It's not like the world didn't see this coming. I guess they had those blinders on?

The hardware seems amazing, but the software is just not there. Could imagine using something like this for image and video editing - but that would require performance, wearability and huge resolution.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That can’t be a shock to anyone. Wife and I got them for our long travels, but besides the flights we haven’t taken them out. They are too clunky and fragile to keep kicking around in even the bedroom. Always the case.

They were awesome for a Dune recap, this is my flight:

7jtXX7F.jpeg
That must be your private jet. Nice 😀

Dr.D00p

..and I bet many of those 400k sales have gone to media creativity companies, medical research, defence contractors, aerospace industry and so on.

Relatively few to privately purchased by individuals with their own money.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
The VP is an amazing piece of tech and what it allows in terms of spatial computing sets the bar for future products in the category.

We are seeing a lot of use with various clients in heavy industry. This was surprise considering the cost but the adoption rate has been very high and since Unity is a dev platform for the device, getting various large scale site reviews in place/up and running has been very straightforward.

Apple needs the consumer to adopt this hardware to be successful, no doubt, but this headset has been fantastic to work with on the industrial/corporate side of things.

Last edited:

Trunx81

It’s a beta test out in the open. I’m sure Apple gathered enough data and feedback for the next few iterations. If you don’t try to innovate, you will be stuck in the past. So from this point of view, it was a success. Only a few people buying it is also a valuable insight. And it’s not like Apple will go broke because of it.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The VP is an amazing piece of tech and what it allows in terms of spatial computing sets the bar for future products in the category.

We are seeing a lot of use with various clients in heavy industry. This was surprise considering the cost but the adoption rate has been very high and since Unity is a dev platform for the device, getting various large scale site reviews in place/up and running has been very straightforward.

Apple needs the consumer to adopt this hardware to be successful, no doubt, but this headset has been fantastic to work with on the industrial/corporate side of things.

This is the thing. What the AVP does is it establishes an extremely robust and innovative paradigm for spatial computing. The interface is so intuitive it’s near magic. And the overlay and real world integration is so incredible it’s almost unbelievable.

So what we are seeing here, quite bizarely, is software that is a decade ahead of the hardware.

It’s kinda like if Apple would have stuck iPhone OS to an QVGA resistive touch device using a stylus, housed in a thick plastic brick of a phone, with a battery life of four hours.

Some could have projected what that inteface could do in a phone with a big capacitive touch screen with an all day battery life, but most would have just scratched their heads.

2 problems with it, which made it obvious that it doesn’t sell well.

1. It’s ridiculously overpriced.
2. Limited target audience. If you have a wife and especially children, it’s not like you can say: Screw you guys, I am using now my Apple Vision.

Jsisto

Haven’t been following, is this basically just an expensive vr headset? Pretty sure Oculus has that market covered and significantly more affordable with the quest line. At that price it might as well give me a blowjob.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
This was the rumored number from before launch. (That they’d already dropped to from closer to 1 million)

Still selling under expectations and VR is a flop in general.

Wild that’s still 1.5 billion spent on this thing lol

Top Bottom