• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

TouchID is getting useless as month pass by. I kept getting "try again" whenever I use it. There are times when I have to put the PIN.

I've noticed sometimes it'll say "try again" a couple times, but then when I swipe it doesn't make me enter the pin, it just unlocks. Like it didn't think it took my fingerprint but it actually did

Mildly annoying, not annoying enough to actually care

Meh3D

Alright NeoGAF, help! I need a selfie stick. Yes, people can get stupid with it. But, I am taking some trips on my own and a selfie stick would come in really handy.

Rose Gold iPhone 6S here!

Jubern

My contract is up this month and if I don't do anything during the renewal period it'll just get renewed with a higher price (thanks Japan).

Soooo... I'm going to try and convince my current carrier to give me a cheap upgrade or switch carriers altogether hoping for the best deal possible.

Ideally I want an iPhone 6s Plus, but I might not be able to afford it. Price-wise, I would likely have to chose between a normal 6s or a 6 plus.
I'd like the bigger screen but I heard the 6 plus had lackluster performance because of the RAM (only 1 gig).

Do you think I should go for the bigger 6 Plus or the better (spec-wise) 6s? Which do you think is more worth it?

jts

...hate me...
Found an interesting way of breaking a Safari tab (iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.2.1) with 3D Touch / Peek and Pop.

Force touch a link, then quickly WHILE it's still loading hold it with a different finger then release the original finger. Like you're trying to hand it off from your right thumb to your left thumb. But quickly.

If everything went fine the window popping out will close and look a bit like it crashed: as it is shrinking on the screen a small white thumbnail will stay for a split second before disappearing.

After that no link on that Safari tab should work, even if you refresh. You either close that tab and use another tab, or force quit Safari then reopen it.

I can reproduce it all the time, unless I let the force touch link load for too long (or that link is on cache).

I must be very bored.

Found an interesting way of breaking a Safari tab (iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.2.1) with 3D Touch / Peek and Pop.

Force touch a link, then quickly WHILE it's still loading hold it with a different finger then release the original finger. Like you're trying to hand it off from your right thumb to your left thumb. But quickly.

If everything went fine the window popping out will close and look a bit like it crashed: as it is shrinking on the screen a small white thumbnail will stay for a split second before disappearing.

After that no link on that Safari tab should work, even if you refresh. You either close that tab and use another tab, or force quit Safari then reopen it.

I can reproduce it all the time, unless I let the force touch link load for too long (or that link is on cache).

I must be very bored.
Quickly! Alert MacRumors about a new obscure thing they should be angry about!

Gaaraz

I can view my iMessages from my phone on my iPad... Can I get text messages also? I can pick up calls but not texts :(

(sounds like a silky request, but I can't get any signal at my parents so was planning on leaving my phone at home and brining my iPad - it'd be super useful to be able to send and receive texts)

gamma

I can view my iMessages from my phone on my iPad... Can I get text messages also? I can pick up calls but not texts :(

(sounds like a silky request, but I can't get any signal at my parents so was planning on leaving my phone at home and brining my iPad - it'd be super useful to be able to send and receive texts)

You can but as with calls it only works if both iPhone and iPad are near each other. You can enable it in Settings - Messages on iPhone.

Hycran

Banned
New Iphone user here, just have two quick questions if anyone can help

1: Why is apple so needlessly fucking obtuse? I can literally drag and drop on an android, here, I have to go through fucking 8 layers of bullshit that is so fucking infuriating I can't believe people put up with it

2: I've synced a number of photo albums in my itunes to my phone, but the phone won't allow me to move locally stored photos into the albums from "my computer" how do i fix that?

Yes! Settings->Messages->Text Message Forwarding

Red

Just started work this morning when I heard a pop, checked my pocket and found my Thanotech screen protector had fractured, radiating away from the cutout for the FaceTime camera.

BCeZkrU.jpg

mmYD9it.jpg

Not sure how this happened, and really disappointed if I'm going to have to buy another so soon. I'm going to try to get in touch with thanotech and see if they'll send a replacement.

Vyer

^ damn that's a pretty bad break

1: Why is apple so needlessly fucking obtuse? I can literally drag and drop on an android, here, I have to go through fucking 8 layers of bullshit that is so fucking infuriating I can't believe people put up with it

2: I've synced a number of photo albums in my itunes to my phone, but the phone won't allow me to move locally stored photos into the albums from "my computer" how do i fix that?

Nothing to 'put up with' if you have no need for it.

Lexxism

Just started work this morning when I heard a pop, checked my pocket and found my Thanotech screen protector had fractured, radiating away from the cutout for the FaceTime camera.

Not sure how this happened, and really disappointed if I'm going to have to buy another so soon. I'm going to try to get in touch with thanotech and see if they'll send a replacement.
I think they have a 1 year warranty. Hopefully you are covered.

You are trying to move photos from your iPhone to your computer, or vice versa? If it's the latter, it has to be done through iTunes. If it's the former, the computer will only recognize photos stored in the Camera Roll. So if you are trying to move photos that are in a separate folder on your iPhone to your computer, you have to get them in your camera roll first. The easiest way to do that is to save the photos into a Note and then download them to the Camera Roll. Alternatively, you can email or text them to yourself, but that's tedious if there's a lot of them. Lastly, you can AirDrop them to another iOS device. They'll go to that device's Camera Roll and can then be Air Dropped back to your device's Camera Roll.

Red

You are trying to move photos from your iPhone to your computer, or vice versa? If it's the latter, it has to be done through iTunes. If it's the former, the computer will only recognize photos stored in the Camera Roll. So if you are trying to move photos that are in a separate folder on your iPhone to your computer, you have to get them in your camera roll first. The easiest way to do that is to save the photos into a Note and then download them to the Camera Roll. Alternatively, you can email or text them to yourself, but that's tedious if there's a lot of them. Lastly, you can AirDrop them to another iOS device. They'll go to that device's Camera Roll and can then be Air Dropped back to your device's Camera Roll.
File management on iOS remains an unfortunate casualty of Apple's walled garden.
I think they have a 1 year warranty. Hopefully you are covered.
They say "lifetime warranty for any reason." Neat.

Hycran

Banned

I'm actually trying to move photos from within my phone. The photos that I synced from my computer to my iphone show up as being in folders "from my computer" on my actual Iphone. I have photos in my camera roll that I would like to move into these folders, but the photos from the camera roll cannot be placed in any folder that was synced "from my computer"

I just like having things organized, but I'll probably just have to move them from my camera roll into the folders one day then sync them back :(

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'm actually trying to move photos from within my phone. The photos that I synced from my computer to my iphone show up as being in folders "from my computer" on my actual Iphone. I have photos in my camera roll that I would like to move into these folders, but the photos from the camera roll cannot be placed in any folder that was synced "from my computer"

I just like having things organized, but I'll probably just have to move them from my camera roll into the folders one day then sync them back :(
Try using iCloud library and do away with the camera roll altogether. You can organize photos into albums on your phone directly then.

I'd also suggest using a cloud storage for your photo storage/moving instead of using iTunes (iCloud Drive, Dropbox, Google Drive etc.). iTunes syncs one way only and that's computer -> phone, any modifications you do need to be done to photos on your phone that are synced need to be done on the computer end.

I typically treat the camera roll/resulting iCloud library as disposable and back up all photos I want to keep to a Dropbox folder automatically which in turn I can organize how I see fit via the app or my PC.

I know this is the 6s thread, but yesterday I picked up an iPhone 6 for pretty cheap. I've had Android since 2008 and thought I'd give an iPhone a shot for a bit. Does anyone in this thread switch back and forth between Android and iPhone? Anything I should be aware of when swapping back and forth?

Gobbly

Banned
I know this is the 6s thread, but yesterday I picked up an iPhone 6 for pretty cheap. I've had Android since 2008 and thought I'd give an iPhone a shot for a bit. Does anyone in this thread switch back and forth between Android and iPhone? Anything I should be aware of when swapping back and forth?
Just make sure you thoroughly clean yourself after using Android, as going straight from that to the iPhone can lead to infection.

Also, use a condom.

Vyer

What kind of devices do you use now? Most everything has iOS support and it shouldn't be too difficult to transfer.

Red

I have dead pixels appearing in the top left corner of my 6s+. This is the problem that caused me to get a replacement last time. Anyone else have this issue? What would cause this to happen as time goes on?

They are in almost exactly the same pattern and location as my last phone.

MechaX

I caved and ended up getting this phone yesterday. Keep in mind I am the type of person who will never actually upgrade a phone until it literally falls apart/dies (I was rocking some early Samsung flip phone; upon introspection, I am like this with cars too).

I have no idea how smartphones really work, and I sounded like an absolute caveman when I had to ask my secretary how to use a smartphone.

I'm trying to find a more recent or updated list on recommended apps; I mostly plan on using the phone for talking, texting, and lunch-time GAF browsing, but games should be good too. I also need to find out if I can dump my computer MP3s on the thing for music, or if I have to go full iTunes.

Red

You'll have to go iTunes for library management, but check out Spotify or Apple Music. Much more convenient if you can spare the data. Plus you'll have access to a bigger library.

GAF has healthy iOS gaming threads every month. Here's February.

Vyer

I caved and ended up getting this phone yesterday. Keep in mind I am the type of person who will never actually upgrade a phone until it literally falls apart/dies (I was rocking some early Samsung flip phone; upon introspection, I am like this with cars too).

I have no idea how smartphones really work, and I sounded like an absolute caveman when I had to ask my secretary how to use a smartphone.

I'm trying to find a more recent or updated list on recommended apps; I mostly plan on using the phone for talking, texting, and lunch-time GAF browsing, but games should be good too. I also need to find out if I can dump my computer MP3s on the thing for music, or if I have to go full iTunes.

You'll have to go iTunes for library management, but check out Spotify or Apple Music. Much more convenient if you can spare the data. Plus you'll have access to a bigger library.

GAF has healthy iOS gaming threads every month. Here's February.

Yup. If you're coming in fresh, try to avoid the need to plug up and 'sync'. (for not just music either; everything). If it's feasible for you, try and use cloud and/or streaming and give yourself more flexibility.

Vyer

Getting my phone exchanged tomorrow. I hope #3 does not have the same issue.

can't really speak on the Plus, but man it seems like in the various iphone models I have owned (or any device really, Android tablets, windows phone, etc) I've had a dead pixel problem maybe twice.

two in a row seems like somewhat bad luck. 3 in a row feels like it would be nuts. hopefully it works out for you.

Red

Yeah. Like my last phone, these black spots suddenly appeared... they did not exist until a couple of days ago. Now there are three of them. And like I said, they are in almost exactly the same spot as the last time (top left, just to the left of where text appears on the Safari search bar). I was lucky enough to get TSMC chips in both previous phones. Wonder how my luck will hold up this time.

I feel like I've been having bad luck in general with my Apple-related stuff lately.

I'm trying to back up through iTunes (on Windows), but nothing is happening. It says backing up but when it finishes no files are saved. What gives?

I have a lot of stuff on the phone I don't want to lose.

I wonder if their appearance is related to my E2E screen protector breaking. I didn't drop the phone, but I placed some pressure on it in my pocket, while reaching for something. I think that's what caused the screen protector to crack. The dead pixels appeared soon after, though not immediately.

Here's a closeup. There's a cloud of dead pixels in the top left (bottom left in the picture)... only a few clusters are visible to the naked eye.

I've had way more trouble with this 6s plus than I ever did with my 4s or 5s.

I found the backup file and it is 5.48GB. My phone is using nearly 55GB. Something is definitely not working correctly. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. How do I back up apps and app content? iTunes is so needlessly obtuse.

Blackhead

Redarse

I found the backup file and it is 5.48GB. My phone is using nearly 55GB. Something is definitely not working correctly. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. How do I back up apps and app content? iTunes is so needlessly obtuse.

iPhone backups no longer include apps themselves, only data and documents. Here is a description of what's included in iTunes or iCloud backups

Vyer

Crunched, have you considered switching to iCloud backups? If you want to save money you could just pull photos and videos to a manual backup to get the space needed down.

And yeah, considering that happened in the same place and you had that protector crack on you, I'd worry about something external.

iPhone backups no longer include apps themselves, only data and documents. Here is a description of what's included in iTunes or iCloud backups

they include the apps themselves.

App data is a little more the issue, ideally the apps themselves use the cloud to work around that.

Lexxism

I think there should be an option where you can lock your apps where it couldn't be deleted unless you unlock it. This is my mom's problem with her phone. She kept deleting it without knowing it lol

Moreche

Yeah. Like my last phone, these black spots suddenly appeared... they did not exist until a couple of days ago. Now there are three of them. And like I said, they are in almost exactly the same spot as the last time (top left, just to the left of where text appears on the Safari search bar). I was lucky enough to get TSMC chips in both previous phones. Wonder how my luck will hold up this time.

I feel like I've been having bad luck in general with my Apple-related stuff lately.

I'm trying to back up through iTunes (on Windows), but nothing is happening. It says backing up but when it finishes no files are saved. What gives?

I have a lot of stuff on the phone I don't want to lose.

I wonder if their appearance is related to my E2E screen protector breaking. I didn't drop the phone, but I placed some pressure on it in my pocket, while reaching for something. I think that's what caused the screen protector to crack. The dead pixels appeared soon after, though not immediately.

Here's a closeup. There's a cloud of dead pixels in the top left (bottom left in the picture)... only a few clusters are visible to the naked eye.

It seems that it's beside the vibrate/silent switch which makes me wonder if this is related to the new pressure screen. Maybe there's tiny gap that's letting dust in.

Red

It seems that it's beside the vibrate/silent switch which makes me wonder if this is related to the new pressure screen. Maybe there's tiny gap that's letting dust in.

That was my thought at first. With the first phone, the "dead pixels" would float around, and as you can see in the recent photo there are dark clumps where it looks like pixels are obscured. But there are no gaps as far as I can see.
@Vyer:
I have iCloud backup on, but when I check my app data every single app is listed as a 0kb backup despite me enabling iCloud for all of them. I have 213 apps. Surely one of them would be taking up space.

Vyer

That was my thought at first. With the first phone, the "dead pixels" would float around, and as you can see in the recent photo there are dark clumps where it looks like pixels are obscured. But there are no gaps as far as I can see.
@Vyer:
I have iCloud backup on, but when I check my app data every single app is listed as a 0kb backup despite me enabling iCloud for all of them. I have 213 apps. Surely one of them would be taking up space.

Yeah, that's definitely odd. Like I said, I really wouldn't count on app data but you should have something listed.

Maybe it's because you're doing it through iTunes? Iirc there's a checkbox in iTunes where you tell it whether or not you are backing up on iCloud. Maybe that overrides whatever you are doing on the phone?

Red

Couldn't get anything done at the Apple Store tonight, but they said they could replace the screen tomorrow. So no handset exchange this time, which works for me—no more need to worry about how to back up my apps.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
I don't know what I did but under Settings -> iCloud at the bottom under Advanced there is now a Mail option above Share My Location. It's tied to my @iCloud.com address I made recently (foolishly thinking I could use it as my primary Apple ID).

Is there a way to get rid of it? It's probably nothing major, but since I'm not using the iCloud email service I thought I'd remove it.

AllenShrz

After all these past months with this cellphone, I can say with confidence is the best one Ive ever had.

The battery is amazing, I dont have to every worry about how much battery I have left. I dont charge during the day and has never died on me and at the end of the day, usually still has like 50% renaming.

Is fast, it has never felt slow or sluggish.

The audio paired with the Se846 is perfect.

The camera is ok.

I think is the first time I dont have a single complain with a phone, maybe force touch? and that's because I don't use it.

After all these past months with this cellphone, I can say with confidence is the best one Ive ever had.

The battery is amazing, I dont have to every worry about how much battery I have left. I dont charge during the day and has never died on me and at the end of the day, usually still has like 50% renaming.

The camera is ok.

I think is the first time I dont have a single complain with a phone, maybe force touch? and that's because I don't use it.

Same here bro. I charge it like once every 2 days lol.

The camera is ok.

I'll swap the Force Touch complaint with the camera. I love Force Touch, but I don't like the camera.

Red

I think video on the plus is pretty good. Stills are hit or miss. I wish we could get larger sensor formats in popular smartphone cameras, instead of only niche products.

Gray Matter

Just got the 6s, coming from the 5 which is still running iOS 7.1.2. Big difference, I hate the music app looks/works. It's so complicated to look for something specific.

You can but as with calls it only works if both iPhone and iPad are near each other. You can enable it in Settings - Messages on iPhone.

Awesome tip!

Anyone know of a good app that allows an airdrop or Bluetooth transfer of iTunes videos between devices? My iPhone has 64gb storage but my iPad only 16. Would be nice to store my iTunes tv shows on my iPhone and then pull them into my iPad as needed...

I actually find myself pretty underwhelmed with the camera on my 6s Plus. Any time I zoom in, especially in low light photos, everything looks like a blotchy mess. I actually thought something was wrong with my camera, but I compared it to a friend's and same thing

First time I've been disappointed in an iPhone camera. Even though I know it's technically better than previous ones, I guess my expectations were too high

What's up with the keyboard trackpad thing only working some of the time? Usually it doesn't work straight away when I try, I have to touch and select a different part of the text. Then when it does work it only works once then you have to select text somewhere else again. Why does it work this way?

Top Bottom