• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

What's up with the keyboard trackpad thing only working some of the time? Usually it doesn't work straight away when I try, I have to touch and select a different part of the text. Then when it does work it only works once then you have to select text somewhere else again. Why does it work this way?

One of the updates made it so the keyboard trackpad only starts working once the cursor is blinking, which takes a couple moments

So I may have left my 6s in a river for a few minutes... Works just fine, but the top has some small, faint white 'stains' that seem to be persisting... Any good idea on how to remove these if possible?

How do you use it?

I mostly use for switching between aps, but I found it to be just a tad slower than doing it the regular way.

I use it to switch between apps (and kill navigation-related apps). To me, it's as fast as using the old way without stressing that button. I have a phobia about using that button due to it breaking on my old iPhone 4.

The only criticism I have with the gesture is you should be able to do it from the right side instead of the left.

EDIT: I also use the Force Touch shortcuts on some apps (Instagram -> View Activity, for example)

jts

...hate me...
My 6s+ now detects it has headphones plugged in all the time, which is troublesome.

Already restarted it many times. Also sometimes it goes away but then returns.

I'll wait a couple of days then I'll contact Apple, until then, any tips?

Number45

My 6s+ now detects it has headphones plugged in all the time, which is troublesome.

Have you tried cleaning out the socket? I've never had it manifest in the way you're describing (usually results in spotty audio due to the inconsistent contact) but it might be something in there interfering? If not then I don't see how it'll be anything other than a hardware problem.

They'll have you do software testing first, since it's an intermittent thing. You can try cleaning out the headphone port, see if that helps. If not, make a backup of the phone, restore that sucker through iTunes, put the backup back onto it, and see if that helped

Tbh the better way would be to make a backup, restore through iTunes and set up as new, at least for a couple days. See if it still happens when it's an essentially new device

I've been with android since selling my iphone 5 a few years ago. I still prefer android (nexus phone user) but have considered switching possibly.

My main reason for switching would be added security. On android, many apps have permissions to read my contacts, messages and other weird stuff that it has no business reading. Even legit apps from major publishers sometimes have weird permissions. With marshmallow, apparently android users can restrict the specific permissions of an app, but the damage is done if I would have to install the app before disabling permissions.

How does the iphone do this sort of thing? Do apps have permissions to access other parts of the phone?

Blackhead

Redarse
I've been with android since selling my iphone 5 a few years ago. I still prefer android (nexus phone user) but have considered switching possibly.

My main reason for switching would be added security. On android, many apps have permissions to read my contacts, messages and other weird stuff that it has no business reading. Even legit apps from major publishers sometimes have weird permissions. With marshmallow, apparently android users can restrict the specific permissions of an app, but the damage is done if I would have to install the app before disabling permissions.

How does the iphone do this sort of thing? Do apps have permissions to access other parts of the phone?
iOS and Android marshmallow restrict the installed apps from accessing that data before you grant them permission

jts

...hate me...
Have you tried cleaning out the socket? I've never had it manifest in the way you're describing (usually results in spotty audio due to the inconsistent contact) but it might be something in there interfering? If not then I don't see how it'll be anything other than a hardware problem.

They'll have you do software testing first, since it's an intermittent thing. You can try cleaning out the headphone port, see if that helps. If not, make a backup of the phone, restore that sucker through iTunes, put the backup back onto it, and see if that helped

Tbh the better way would be to make a backup, restore through iTunes and set up as new, at least for a couple days. See if it still happens when it's an essentially new device
The thing is, this happened while I was in the shower with the phone playing music just outside it, so I can only imagine some moisture got there. Way more sensitive than I was expecting though. Phone was not dropped in the water or anything like that. I just touched it with wet fingers.

Right now it's again back to normal. Maybe when the moisture dries out completely it will stay functioning normally.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So it is the same on both then on handling app permissions and communication between apps and other parts of the phone?

Don't have much experience with recent Android builds, but iOS apps won't ask for permission for something unless you attempt to use a function related to another app. There's no blanket "give me access to these multiple things.." at the same time. An app needs to ask separately for access to each other app it wants access to, whatever it may be (contacts, photos etc.).

These are the various native things in iOS apps can ask for permissions to: http://imgur.com/Zmzknk2

Don't have much experience with recent Android builds, but iOS apps won't ask for permission for something unless you attempt to use a function related to another app. There's no blanket "give me access to these multiple things.." at the same time. An app needs to ask separately for access to each other app it wants access to, whatever it may be (contacts, photos etc.).

These are the various native things in iOS apps can ask for permissions to: http://imgur.com/Zmzknk2

Thanks!

Gray Matter

What are some must have apps for the 6s?

There are so many apps out there, that I don't go into the App Store, it's so overwhelming.

Red

What kinds of things would you like to do with your phone? There are many useful apps but it's tough to narrow down a selection without an indication of what you're looking for.

Gray Matter

What kinds of things would you like to do with your phone? There are many useful apps but it's tough to narrow down a selection without an indication of what you're looking for.

A good finance tracking app, nothing too fancy, just something where I can input my income and expenses.

A photography app, since I have a better camera (upgraded from iPhone 5) I wanna start taking more pics when I start cycling again this year.

Those are two I'm looking for atm, any other miscellaneous apps would be appreciated.

A good finance tracking app, nothing too fancy, just something where I can input my income and expenses.

A photography app, since I have a better camera (upgraded from iPhone 5) I wanna start taking more pics when I start cycling again this year.

Those are two I'm looking for atm, any other miscellaneous apps would be appreciated.

I use Mint for finances, love it. Have all my accounts, credit cards, 401k, stocks, etc feeding in. Turns out I'm mostly in debt, but at least I know!

Photography depends. For taking photos I just use the default app, but I know a lot of people like Camera+ as an alternative. For editing I use Photoshop Express for quick fixes, Enlight or Pixelmator for bigger edits. Plus I have Afterlight for its editing options right in the stock photos app

My phone has become my hub of everything, and it makes me kind of nervous. It has all my health data, finances, HomeKit stuff, schedule, everything. It's the key to my house. There's some stuff I don't do like hardcore photography or Passbook stuff, but the option is always there. The iPhone can kind of do anything if you go looking

For full context, Settings is telling me I have 108 apps installed. I'm a power user by any definition

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I actually find myself pretty underwhelmed with the camera on my 6s Plus. Any time I zoom in, especially in low light photos, everything looks like a blotchy mess. I actually thought something was wrong with my camera, but I compared it to a friend's and same thing

First time I've been disappointed in an iPhone camera. Even though I know it's technically better than previous ones, I guess my expectations were too high

Yep. Some of the flagship Android cameras have vastly surpassed the iPhone camera which reigned king for the longest. The Galaxy S6 and LG G4 cameras are by far the best. And I hate how the iPhone front camera flips your selfies. Makes you look all weird.

Red

Mint is a good finance app to start with. It's straightforward. I think you have to use the website to list some accounts, though.

There are tons of great photo apps. I edit in Lightroom and Snapseed. Camera+ is a good camera app alternative. Also check out SlowShutter, which allows you to take long exposure photographs. There are a couple of good video apps, which let you increase the bitrate of video out of the phone. I use FilmicPro.

Vyer

For photo editing, I've been trying out MOLDIV lately. Pretty solid.

Yep. Some of the flagship Android cameras have vastly surpassed the iPhone camera which reigned king for the longest. The Galaxy S6 and LG G4 cameras are by far the best. And I hate how the iPhone front camera flips your selfies. Makes you look all weird.

yeah, lets not get all crazy.

But an nice upgrade this cycle would be welcome.

Red

The 6s takes alright pictures. I hope for an improvement too. Camera is one of my most valued aspects of my smartphone. But I've been happy with a few photos my phone has produced.

OwoTy1j.jpg

JhJTI2B.jpg

I think it has more aggressive noise reduction than prior iPhones. I've noticed it capture less detail in certain situations, compared to my old 5s. But in general it is better, and for video it is vastly better. I'm very impressed by the video capabilities of the 6s plus.

Video on it looks incredible, love the OIS and I use 4K basically all the time

It's just low light shots that leave a LOT to be desired

The 6s takes alright pictures. I hope for an improvement too. Camera is one of my most valued aspects of my smartphone. But I've been happy with a few photos my phone has produced.

Agreed. Really disappointed by the 6S's couple of regressions on camera. Really looking forward to what the rumors are saying about the 7.

jts

...hate me...
(quick note, my 6s+ got fixed by itself regarding that headphone issue. i guess it was really a matter of moisture drying out)

Re: iPhone 6s Smart Battery Case.

You know, I was just seeing one of those “one month later” videos of it and the reviewer pointed out what annoyed him about the case but still that he liked it and wants to keep it. Way of missing the point... obviously the case does many things right and that’s exactly why it’s a good user experience and why in the end he wants to keep it. The things he criticises are the things Apple had to do make the case better than all the other ones.

IMO, there’s ONE legit bad thing about the case. The recessed headphone jack.

Hunchback: why would you want to add bulk and weight on purpose? It’s minimalistic how it should be.

Inside LED: It’s a nice feature that lets you know the status of your case's charging if you’re charging it by itself, so you can’t check it from the phone’s software. When it’s plugged to the phone, you check it from iOS, just like you check your own phone’s battery status.

No on/off switch. You know, people don’t really think this one through. Why would you keep your phone in a bulky case all the time when you’re only use it for reserve battery, which you have to manually turn on? It doesn’t make any ounce of sense... a modern battery’s lifespan is dictated mainly by the charging cycles it goes through. And you want your phone’s battery to keep cycling while actually saving your case’s battery to the barely minimum usage? What?

Basically while the Smart Battery Case is on, it’s not that your phone’s battery is constantly charging. It’s that your phone is constantly plugged in and running on external power. That will save it a lot of cycles. Instead people say they wanna run the phone’s battery completely run out first then charge it again, and then again at night. It’s dumb... the guy complained about this very thing exactly. That "your battery is being charged all time which is not good for it"... and that’s just a very uninformed thing to say.

And then you have the small added bonus of knowing that when your battery case has fulfilled it’s utility for the day, keeping your phone plugged in for as long as possible, you can take it out until the end of the day, because you’re not getting any more juice out of it. You used your accessory correctly, and saved your phone the best you could.

I don’t have a regular sized 6 or 6s so I can’t get it, or have a need for it, but I have no doubt that’s the case I would get if I had to. And unfortunately, would also get a headphone jack adapter, which to my eyes is the main or only drawback of that case.

Red

There is a line on the glass the entire width of my phone screen. Like a smudge I can't get out. Looks like a streak where there is no oleophobic coating. Looking at replacement #3. This is getting old.

Vyer

There is a line on the glass the entire width of my phone screen. Like a smudge I can't get out. Looks like a streak where there is no oleophobic coating. Looking at replacement #3. This is getting old.

Does it start at the same area your cracks did?

Red

No, this is a brand new screen. I brought the phone in a few days ago and they did a free repair because of the dead pixels. This line is across the bottom half of the screen. Like from the midpoint to bottom right corner. Only visible on black, looks like a fingerprint smudge that won't wipe off.

When I run a bead of water down the screen it hits that streak and slides down it like a track.

It's not as distracting as the dead pixels when the phone is in use, but I don't want a lower resale value on the phone because of something small like that.

The new screen feels a lot stickier than the old one, like there is more friction between finger and glass, but I figured that's because it's new.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
(Hmmm well, maybe I can get a decent portion size here for some data...)

Popping in because I'm currently working on a non-work related project, and GAF I figured was the best place to get a big amount of information without asking a bunch of individual people...

I don't have an iPhone myself, but if you are able to help me out and answer a few basic questions (in the form of PMs so I don't come in and clutter the OT) it would really help me out, and thanks :)

Questions:
Why do you use the iPhone brand?
How do you like your iPhone?
Would you ever considering switching brands and why?

Red

Had another screen replacement. New one also has a scratch. Brought it up with management and they refused another replacement, told me no phone screen will be perfect since they're made of glass. So I guess I live with it.

The girl was real shitty about it too. She said "if you're so worried about the screen you should probably go back to a flip phone." I said, "so I guess I'm done here." She said, "I guess."

Vyer

Had another screen replacement. New one also has a scratch. Brought it up with management and they refused another replacement, told me no phone screen will be perfect since they're made of glass. So I guess I live with it.

The girl was real shitty about it too. She said "if you're so worried about the screen you should probably go back to a flip phone." I said, "so I guess I'm done here." She said, "I guess."

this was an Apple Store? Fuck that. I mean, maybe they had some issue because you've had to do so many replacements in a row, but that's still not excusable. Especially if they gave you a screen with a scratch on it only to act like that. I used to know someone who worked in an apple store near me and I'd go in there all the time, knew a lot of management. They'd have freaked out at one of their employees saying that. Hell they would have never let a screen go out scratched either. You are much more forgiving than I am, I probably would have started getting more management involved lol.

this was an Apple Store? Fuck that. I mean, maybe they had some issue because you've had to do so many replacements in a row, but that's still not excusable. Especially if they gave you a screen with a scratch on it only to act like that. I used to know someone who worked in an apple store near me and I'd go in there all the time, knew a lot of management. They'd have freaked out at one of their employees saying that. Hell they would have never let a screen go out scratched either. You are much more forgiving than I am, I probably would have started getting more management involved lol.

Yeah, that's definitely NOT okay. Go back and talk to a different manager, I'd be raising hell if I was told that

Red

It was an Apple Store. I was mad about it. It's not a big scratch. Looks like a piece of dust. When I get the phone back I notice it right away, and ask the girl at the Genius Bar (I guess she is the manager, because she's telling other people what to do, but I don't know) if I can use a microfiber cloth to try to wipe it off. Doesn't come off. So I tell her the phone is still scratched. She goes and gets a piece of dust removal tape and tries three times to take it off, but it's still there. That's when she gets pissy and gives me the phone back. She says you can't expect these phone screens to be perfect, since they're made of glass, and if you're that worried about it go back to a flip phone. She then turns away from me and immediately starts talking to another customer, and I have to interrupt them to get a word in. It left a bad impression.

I've had one phone replacement and two screen replacements. They've all been free. Two times I had visible dead pixels, this last time was cosmetic damage. Before they did this last replacement they told me I'd have to understand cosmetic damage is not usually covered by AppleCare, but since this time it might have been caused by the screen assembly repair they'd do it. I'm pretty disappointed by the experience I've had so far, quality wise, but relieved that they've covered each problem for free. But now the way that girl talked to me was like a giant fuck you. Really poor service.

I don't know if I want to support Apple in the future after this. The way that employee spoke to me was really insulting. She was like someone out of Mean Girls. I left the store because I didn't want to be there anymore... I got hung up on thinking about the exchange for a couple of hours last night. It really bothered me.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It was an Apple Store. I was mad about it. It's not a big scratch. Looks like a piece of dust. When I get the phone back I notice it right away, and ask the girl at the Genius Bar (I guess she is the manager, because she's telling other people what to do, but I don't know) if I can use a microfiber cloth to try to wipe it off. Doesn't come off. So I tell her the phone is still scratched. She goes and gets a piece of dust removal tape and tries three times to take it off, but it's still there. That's when she gets pissy and gives me the phone back. She says you can't expect these phone screens to be perfect, since they're made of glass, and if you're that worried about it go back to a flip phone. She then turns away from me and immediately starts talking to another customer, and I have to interrupt them to get a word in. It left a bad impression.

I've had one phone replacement and two screen replacements. They've all been free. Two times I had visible dead pixels, this last time was cosmetic damage. Before they did this last replacement they told me I'd have to understand cosmetic damage is not usually covered by AppleCare, but since this time it might have been caused by the screen assembly repair they'd do it. I'm pretty disappointed by the experience I've had so far, quality wise, but relieved that they've covered each problem for free. But now the way that girl talked to me was like a giant fuck you. Really poor service.

I don't know if I want to support Apple in the future after this. The way that employee spoke to me was really insulting. She was like someone out of Mean Girls. I left the store because I didn't want to be there anymore... I got hung up on thinking about the exchange for a couple of hours last night. It really bothered me.
Just contact her boss. Problem solved.

Vyer

Yeah, something tells me she might not have been a manager. It used to be they had several 'department', a general assistant manager or two, then a store manager. Not sure if it's still that way.

djblue89

Can someone help me, my battery on my 6S+ has been awful, when I go into battery info, I have the same usage and standby time. Anyway to fix it ? I don't even have any apps running...

Red

Can someone help me, my battery on my 6S+ has been awful, when I go into battery info, I have the same usage and standby time. Anyway to fix it ? I don't even have any apps running...
Go to task switcher, close all apps, and then restart.
Yeah, something tells me she might not have been a manager. It used to be they had several 'department', a general assistant manager or two, then a store manager. Not sure if it's still that way.
They all wear the same uniform so I have no idea.

M.D

I may be getting an iPhone this week and I've been leaning towards the 6s Plus, but reading some comments and articles got me confused - it seems like the battery in the 6s is actually a bit smaller than the 'normal' 6s and reading some comments here, it seems to make a big difference? Is that true or just hyperbole?

Is there any noticeable difference in performance with the double ram and better processor in the 6s plus? does it make it better equipped for future iOS updates?

Blackhead

Redarse
but reading some comments and articles got me confused - it seems like the battery in the 6s is actually a bit smaller than the 'normal' 6s and reading some comments here, it seems to make a big difference? Is that true or just hyperbole?
now I'm confused; clarify the devices that you are referring to. The newest iPhones are:
iPhone 6s
iPhone 6s plus

and the iPhones before that were
iPhone 6
iPhone 6 plus

M.D

now I'm confused; clarify the devices that you are referring to. The newest iPhones are:
iPhone 6s
iPhone 6s plus

and the iPhones before that were
iPhone 6
iPhone 6 plus

I always have typos in my posts even tho I actively try to avoid them X_X

I meant the battery in the 6s Plus is smaller than the one in the 6 Plus (specifically talking about Plus models)

Lexxism

I may be getting an iPhone this week and I've been leaning towards the 6s Plus, but reading some comments and articles got me confused - it seems like the battery in the 6s is actually a bit smaller than the 'normal' 6s and reading some comments here, it seems to make a big difference? Is that true or just hyperbole?
That is true. The battery capacity of the 6S models is lower compared to the 6 models but it's only 10% difference(?). So it isn't really that noticeable as Apple claims. You don't have to worry about the battery. It's pretty much on par with 6 plus despite a lower battery capacity.
Is there any noticeable difference in performance with the double ram and better processor in the 6s plus? does it make it better equipped for future iOS updates?
The processor and ram makes the S upgrade worth it. I purchased this phone based on those two because I'm planning to have this phone in 4 or maybe in 5 years (unless temptation happens. Please I hope not). I'll make sure every penny I paid will be worth it.

I've noticed no difference in battery life even with the smaller battery. They were able to make the CPU more power efficient and iOS9 also has some battery saving tricks

Red

Just accidentally discovered you can 3D Touch iMessages to access quick responses. Don't know why I never tried that before

I just got an IPhone 6S plus i think but the box has a picture on it instead of it being blank like the IPhone 6 box , and on the side it says IPhone 6 Plus instead of just IPhone like the IPhone 6 packaging

So is mine an IPhone 6 or 6S ?

i did definitely buy a 6S but it only says 6 Plus on the side and not 6S if that makes any sense

I just got an IPhone 6S plus i think but the box has a picture on it instead of it being blank like the IPhone 6 box , and on the side it says IPhone 6 Plus instead of just IPhone like the IPhone 6 packaging

i did definitely buy a 6S but it only says 6 Plus on the side and not 6S if that makes any sense

Mine says "iPhone 6s Plus" on the sides and on the small text on the back near the barcodes.

Carton

Does it have a sticker on the back with the serial number? If so, it should say what model it is there. If you've opened it already, you'll be able to tell immediately by the presence or absence of force touch.

I'm pretty sure this is what it's supposed to look like.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Plus the 6S and 6S Plus have fish motifs (different between versions) on the box instead of just a blank raised outline of the phone.

Top Bottom