• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Red

I have the same problem. Posted earlier in the thread. It's ongoing.

DIDhAIM.jpg

Vyer

It's an Arris modem connected to a Netgear router. The speeds are from my desktop computer on Wifi, when you say what kind do you mean the Ghz? If so the router is 2.4.

yeah, that and if it was a G/N etc. Like what model of router is it. Either way I would probably:

1. Reboot everything (modem, router, phone) and test.
2. Look for firmware updates for the router. If so, apply them (most routers can firmware update without losing wifi info, but be aware you may need to reenter that) and test.
3. Maybe test different channels on the router, see if the connection is any better. It's likely currently set to 'Auto' or channel 1.

EDIT: also, blackflip, that crazy disparity between download and upload...what's it look like on your desktop?

Ninja Dom

Does anyone know some common fixes out there for slow wifi speeds for the 6S, this is really weird, for reference my actual speed is 50 Down/ 25 Up.

Optimum Online/Cablevision is the ISP.

I have the same problem. Posted earlier in the thread. It's ongoing.

So strange. I'm on a Day 1 6S and haven't had any problems with wifi speeds - in fact the opposite as I've had the fastest wifi speeds in my life on this phone. It really must be your individual unit. How do other 6S units perform on the same wifi network?? Cos there would be far more complaints from folks in this thread if this was a common occurrence.

Red

My wife's is just as slow, so she usually leaves wifi turned off.

It's sporadic. I just tested again and got close to 40Mbps.

Absolutely no network settings or connected devices have changed.

Vyer

So strange. I'm on a Day 1 6S and haven't had any problems with wifi speeds - in fact the opposite as I've had the fastest wifi speeds in my life on this phone. It really must be your individual unit. How do other 6S units perform on the same wifi network?? Cos there would be far more complaints from folks in this thread if this was a common occurrence.

Yeah. I had an old router when I first got my 6S, it was an older linksys N model IIRC. My comcast plan is 25 down that would still normally get around 50. So on my iphone I'd get around 15-20 down (which was pretty normal for wireless at that range from what I read).

Soon after I happened to upgrade my router to an AC router (a Netgear R6250) that's dual band obviously. I kept my modem (a surfboard 6121) but I plan to upgrade it eventually too. Either way once I put the 6S on an AC router at the 5ghz band it was a pretty significant upgrade.

4OYoWXl.jpg

upload's not great, but that's primarily because of my Comcast plan.

vern

My iPhone 5 keeps crashing and lagging and generally being a POS. Decided I'll go get a 6s in the next day or two at some point.

Are there any deals currently? I'm in the USA currently. I did some googling but couldn't find anything. Is there anything I should be on the look out for when I go to the store? Im not really a phone guy so I don't know if there are certain versions with different issues or something like that. I'm thinking 64gb, doesn't matter what color. I'm not getting a phone with contract.

madmook

Tried deleting directly from phone?

Settings>General>Storage&iCloudUsage> ManageStorage>Music> Swipe left or press edit to bring up delete.

Dumb question but is cover flow gone in the music app? And if so, since when?

I stopped updating my 4S after that one update they killed google maps as the default to put in apple maps so I was quite a bit behind on OS updates.

Cannot find any options to change the way the music app looks. Seems incredibly barebones now.

jts

...hate me...

This honestly drives me nuts. Used to happen all the time with my old iPhone 5, back when it became old. Since I moved to the 6s+, not so much.

Apps just get stuck installing, when auto-updating. These ones have been like this for days. I've moved them to a new page for illustration purposes.

Strava and VSCO in this case.

So now what I can do is restart the phone which will ensure they get deleted. And with them, their savedata. Like, FUCK. Pardon me.

I feel that sometimes if I don't go to the App Store on purpose to redownload them, they may magically reappear at some point and maybe with the savedata intact.

This is so stupid and random and annoying. Ugh.

I wasn't able to find any real solution unfortunately, just stuck using LTE all the time. my MBP can be right next to my iPhone and pretty much max out my ISPs 50/25 plan speeds, while my Iphone is stuck around 1MB.

Vyer

I wasn't able to find any real solution unfortunately, just stuck using LTE all the time. my MBP can be right next to my iPhone and pretty much max out my ISPs 50/25 plan speeds, while my Iphone is stuck around 1MB.

Did you find out what model router you have?

Ugh. Was really hoping we weren't going to have to wait until the Apple event to get 9.3, but the new Betas today makes me think we will.

Seems like an oddly long beta period for an iOS .X release. Hopefully that just means there are some additional cool under the hood stability and performance improvements.

Jubern

Sooo, I'm finally going to make the jump from a 5s to a 6s plus next week.

One of my big questions is the case. Can you guys recommend me any?
I was thinking about going with a wallet style one but I feel like it would make any kind of one-hand utilisation impossible.

Vyer

Sooo, I'm finally going to make the jump from a 5s to a 6s plus next week.

One of my big questions is the case. Can you guys recommend me any?
I was thinking about going with a wallet style one but I feel like it would make any kind of one-hand utilisation impossible.

Depends on how much case you want. Wallet, minimal, full on bulky armor, etc

Meh3D

I recently reset my iPhone and set it up as new to see if some nagging issues go away. Now the Starbucks app refuses to sign in. I reset my iPhone again and re-installed the app multiple times. After clicking the sign in button nothing happens. It will give feedback if the password is wrong. Otherwise, it just hangs there.

Anyone else having this issue? Running the latest iOS and updates. iPhone 6S Rose Gold 128GB

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Thanks for all of that.

I restarted the iPhone and tried again with a manual backup. This time I set the Auto-Lock to 'Never' so I could keep an eye on it's progress and it backed up fine. I've no idea what broke the backup process and why a simple restart of the 6S made it start working again.

Yeah I finally fixed my issue with iCloud backups that I was posting about as well.

I turned them back "on" by connecting to iTunes on my PC and selecting the "backup up to the cloud" thing since I couldn't turn them on from my phone.

I then also did the manual backup with screen lock on Never to watch it and they finally didn't fail. They back up regularly now.

Hi, was wondering if someone could help, been having problems with iCloud recently

So i'm on 6s, first time on iPhone, before on Nexus 5 and Xperia Arc S, loved android but the 3D touch had me interested and i could afford an iPhone this time around and had always wanted one

Everything's great and i'm really enjoying the phone, i feel like i'm using it more because i'm not as worried about the phone dying as i was on the Nexus 5, i could be doing nothing and the battery would just drain whereas i feel with the iPhone i don't have to be as conscious of it

Anyway, recently i've been getting reminders about the iCloud storage being full, i backup using google photos, and generally use all things google as i've been using their services for the past two phones

I want to turn off the iCloud photos backup but i'm not sure if it will just delete everything, at the minute when i go into it the only things that are on are 'my photo stream' and 'iCloud photo sharing' - i guess i never changed this from default because i don't share or stream - so is it ok (if i'm backed up to google photos) to turn these off and still have everything saved either on the phone or with google? thanks for the help

Also i've been having such problems with iCloud, to the point where honestly its convinced me my next phone will be android because I've never had a problem with my google account - i haven't even changed or needed to change my gmail password in ten years! which is probably stupid for security reasons but like i said, i've had no reason to change, and its seen me use it on any number of devices over the years

iCloud on the other hand is just such a pain and for no benefit; so as this was my first iPhone i had to set up an apple id because it wouldn't accept the ID i have had for years on iTunes because it wasn't an email address, however the music app allowed me to sign in as my iTunes apple id, now its kicked me out of that and seems to have a hard time differentiating between my iCloud account, my old iTunes account which is linked to my gmail address, a random @me.com account i once set up and my college email address - its just such a hassle, i've reset each about five times in the past two days getting it to work, i'm not sure what to do - at this point i have been able to get back into my iCloud account which is fine (except the photos backup question above) but now i can't sign in with anything on the music app, i signed in with the iCloud once before to buy an album (attempting to purchase the album was where this all started) and it let me in and i bought an album then realised it wasn't my original iTunes account, to be honest i don't mind too much i only bought three or four albums on my phone that i could carry over to the Mac so its not wasted and i can just stick with this one account on everything now but it just feels counter intuitive to have my iTunes account relegated to my mac now rather than my phone also

Not sure what to do but i think unless the 7s wows me in some way i'll just go with a decent android phone, googles stuff just works, which is ironic as that was the promise of apple stuff years ago

i don't want to start a war with this post, i greatly enjoy the phone, use 3D touch all the time, its a generally very smooth seamless OS which android has pretty much picked up on now after years of not being this way (still using android M on the nexus 5) but the only thing that would keep me on iPhone is the app store, the quality is night and day for me compared to android - won't have to make that choice for another year and a half and i'm very happy with the iPhone currently but i just hope i can get iCloud sorted to the point where i never need to think about it again - is there a way to disable it at all?

tl;dr
can i turn off iCloud photo sharing/stream without it deleting the photos forever (backing up using google photos)

thanks

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Hi, was wondering if someone could help, been having problems with iCloud recently

So i'm on 6s, first time on iPhone, before on Nexus 5 and Xperia Arc S, loved android but the 3D touch had me interested and i could afford an iPhone this time around and had always wanted one

Everything's great and i'm really enjoying the phone, i feel like i'm using it more because i'm not as worried about the phone dying as i was on the Nexus 5, i could be doing nothing and the battery would just drain whereas i feel with the iPhone i don't have to be as conscious of it

Anyway, recently i've been getting reminders about the iCloud storage being full, i backup using google photos, and generally use all things google as i've been using their services for the past two phones

I want to turn off the iCloud photos backup but i'm not sure if it will just delete everything, at the minute when i go into it the only things that are on are 'my photo stream' and 'iCloud photo sharing' - i guess i never changed this from default because i don't share or stream - so is it ok (if i'm backed up to google photos) to turn these off and still have everything saved either on the phone or with google? thanks for the help

Also i've been having such problems with iCloud, to the point where honestly its convinced me my next phone will be android because I've never had a problem with my google account - i haven't even changed or needed to change my gmail password in ten years! which is probably stupid for security reasons but like i said, i've had no reason to change, and its seen me use it on any number of devices over the years

iCloud on the other hand is just such a pain and for no benefit; so as this was my first iPhone i had to set up an apple id because it wouldn't accept the ID i have had for years on iTunes because it wasn't an email address, however the music app allowed me to sign in as my iTunes apple id, now its kicked me out of that and seems to have a hard time differentiating between my iCloud account, my old iTunes account which is linked to my gmail address, a random @me.com account i once set up and my college email address - its just such a hassle, i've reset each about five times in the past two days getting it to work, i'm not sure what to do - at this point i have been able to get back into my iCloud account which is fine (except the photos backup question above) but now i can't sign in with anything on the music app, i signed in with the iCloud once before to buy an album (attempting to purchase the album was where this all started) and it let me in and i bought an album then realised it wasn't my original iTunes account, to be honest i don't mind too much i only bought three or four albums on my phone that i could carry over to the Mac so its not wasted and i can just stick with this one account on everything now but it just feels counter intuitive to have my iTunes account relegated to my mac now rather than my phone also

Not sure what to do but i think unless the 7s wows me in some way i'll just go with a decent android phone, googles stuff just works, which is ironic as that was the promise of apple stuff years ago

i don't want to start a war with this post, i greatly enjoy the phone, use 3D touch all the time, its a generally very smooth seamless OS which android has pretty much picked up on now after years of not being this way (still using android M on the nexus 5) but the only thing that would keep me on iPhone is the app store, the quality is night and day for me compared to android - won't have to make that choice for another year and a half and i'm very happy with the iPhone currently but i just hope i can get iCloud sorted to the point where i never need to think about it again - is there a way to disable it at all?

tl;dr
can i turn off iCloud photo sharing/stream without it deleting the photos forever (backing up using google photos)

thanks
Turning off iCloud Photo Stream will delete photos stored online and on the phone.
But iCloud photos don't take up space in your iCloud backups so that should be irrelevant. Photos are stored separately and has a photo count limit rather than a space limit (1000 photos), it's not meant as long-term storage.

iCloud on the other hand is just such a pain and for no benefit; so as this was my first iPhone i had to set up an apple id because it wouldn't accept the ID i have had for years on iTunes because it wasn't an email address, however the music app allowed me to sign in as my iTunes apple id, now its kicked me out of that and seems to have a hard time differentiating between my iCloud account, my old iTunes account which is linked to my gmail address, a random @me.com account i once set up and my college email address
Apple IDs migrated from a username system to email address based 6-7 years ago. iCloud requires you to have an updated Apple ID for it to use. You sign in with your email address not your username. iTunes accepts usernames for legacy purposes but that's it.

You will have had an option in iTunes to migrate your old ID/attach an email to it. The @me.com domain is a free email account that can be used for said purpose. Effectively you can have two emails associated with your Apple ID, the Apple-issued @me.com (or later @icloud.com) email and one of your own choosing e.g. a @gmail.com address.

Turning off iCloud Photo Stream will delete photos stored online and on the phone.
But iCloud photos don't take up space in your iCloud backups so that should be irrelevant. Photos are stored separately and has a photo count limit rather than a space limit (1000 photos), it's not meant as long-term storage.

Apple IDs migrated from a username system to email address based 6-7 years ago. iCloud requires you to have an updated Apple ID for it to use. You sign in with your email address not your username. iTunes accepts usernames for legacy purposes but that's it.

You will have had an option in iTunes to migrate your old ID/attach an email to it. The @me.com domain is a free email account that can be used for said purpose. Effectively you can have two emails associated with your Apple ID, the Apple-issued @me.com (or later @icloud.com) email and one of your own choosing e.g. a @gmail.com address.

Thanks for the help Tunesmith

I don't keep up with iPhone launches and whatnot but my wife is due for an upgrade and Costco apparently will give her $200 as a cash card if she does so today. She has a 5S that has been giving her fits recently.

So should we get the 6S+? Or wait until fall when the 7 comes out and get the 6S+ on Black Friday or something?

If we wait it just means we pay less every month because no more phone cost on our plan.

Red

6s+ is great and I don't think she'll have any problems with it. If she wants to wait until the 21st their new 4" phone should be unveiled. In case she doesn't want something much larger than her 5s. Keep an eye out for deals on the 6s line if she doesn't want to wait. It seems like Apple products have been going on sale more often lately.

Vyer

tl;dr

thanks

If you are already backing up to another source, you could also just delete them from the phone without worrying about turning off anything to free space and get rid of the alerts. I use OneDrive for camera roll backup myself but honestly I also went ahead and just did the .99 a month iCloud storage upgrade to give myself a little more room. Now I have the OneDrive backup going and don't have to worry about camera roll maintenance near as much, but it's also nice when you have other devices like iPads or AppleTV to have quick access to photos and videos through iCloud and don't have to worry about hitting any limit as much.

Also I would just update your iTunes account even if you don't use it so that you have a consistent AppleID across everything. Much easier and it's a good idea to unify on the device so everything works more like it should.

6s+ is great and I don't think she'll have any problems with it. If she wants to wait until the 21st their new 4" phone should be unveiled. In case she doesn't want something much larger than her 5s. Keep an eye out for deals on the 6s line if she doesn't want to wait. It seems like Apple products have been going on sale more often lately.

I think she wouldn't mind the bigger phone, especially since she watches Hulu and Amazon on it. She hasn't gotten her hands on one yet, but I think she'll try to do so today. I'm swinging by Costco on my way home to make sure that the $200 applies to upgrades and not just to new lines/new customers. If it does, we'll probably keep waiting and see how things go after the March 21 announcement.

Thanks for the insight!

Jigolo

Is there a way to download video from browser on iOS devices? I'm talking like a gamersyde video or something like that

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Is there a way to download video from browser on iOS devices? I'm taking like a gamersyde video or something like that

If you have direct links to the .mp4 files or similar then there are many apps that can download them. I typically use VLC as that's my main video watching app as well.

I think Dropbox has "Save to Dropbox" functionality in the share sheet for video files as well.

Jigolo

If you have direct links to the .mp4 files or similar then there are many apps that can download them. I typically use VLC as that's my main video watching app as well.

I think Dropbox has "Save to Dropbox" functionality in the share sheet for video files as well.
What search term should I use in the app store to find these apps

Edit: nvm didn't know VLC had a built in downloader

Sky Chief

Trying an iPhone again for work and I have to say so far it's not good.

First of all,the keyboard is shit. Just for simple shit you always have to cycle between letters, numbers, and symbols way too much and lack of a swipe type input in 2016 is inexcusable. I've tried SwiftKey and Swype but they are also garbage compared to stock Android.

Worse though, Safari on iPhone is so awkward. I have an iPad that I use every day and safari is pretty good on that. I turned on "open in bachground" but it is still almost impossible to go to the first unread post in mobile GAF in a background tab without also opening the link in the main tab too. And scrolling is brutally slow.

I need help because right now this is incredibly frustrating.

Wife ended up getting a 6S 64 GB, not the plus. She couldn't one hand the Plus well enough, and she needs it as a reader while holding the baby, so 6S won the day.

Still got the $200 cash card for Costco...plus a random second $25 cash card...and the guy at the kiosk knocked an extra $100 off. So it was a pretty damn good deal!

I'm still using my 5S though. Gotta bank that money on our Verizon plan with no phone charge.

First of all,the keyboard is shit. Just for simple shit you always have to cycle between letters, numbers, and symbols way too much and lack of a swipe type input in 2016 is inexcusable. I've tried SwiftKey and Swype but they are also garbage compared to stock Android.

Have never seen a useful stock Android keyboard so no idea what you mean. Try other keyboards I guess?

Worse though, Safari on iPhone is so awkward. I have an iPad that I use every day and safari is pretty good on that. I turned on "open in bachground" but it is still almost impossible to go to the first unread post in mobile GAF in a background tab without also opening the link in the main tab too. And scrolling is brutally slow.

I find scrolling fast but the two things you should always be doing on mobile GAF are
1) tap the top blue header to instantly skip to the bottom of a thread page
2) tap the time at the top of the iPhone screen to instantly skip to the top of a thread page

idwl

I can't seem to stay on the number keyboard while using Swype. Every time I switch over to it to type a long number it switches back to letters after each number. anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Have never seen a useful stock Android keyboard so no idea what you mean. Try other keyboards I guess?

I find scrolling fast but the two things you should always be doing on mobile GAF are
1) tap the top blue header to instantly skip to the bottom of a thread page
2) tap the time at the top of the iPhone screen to instantly skip to the top of a thread page

Bruh...I've always pressed the arrow on the top of mobile GAF..I had no idea that you could just tap the blue header LOL..Ditto for the bottom header, I always tapped the arrow to go back up and had no idea you could tap the time to instantly go back up. Thanks.

Doesn't have to be the time. Anywhere in the top status bar will work.

That's totally true; I just said the time because iOS really doesn't show the status bar as a "bar" anymore. Virtually all core apple apps blend the "bar" into the category frame. And of course, tapping the bar scrolls to the top in any Safari window, not just NeoGAF.

(For game players, think of the time when we had smartphones but no mobile GAF as roughly akin to "Far Cry Primal")

lupinko

With the 7 likely losing the aux port, and because I can get a cheaper phone via family, I decided I'll take the plunge soon with the 6S Plus.

I have a question though, I guess if any Canadians can answer this too it'll help a lot.

If you buy an iPhone from like Bell, and you pay the carrier unlock fee, will that carrier unlocked iPhone after become identical to the factory unlocked iPhone? I've never had a carrier unlock an iPhone before but I have bought an iPhone directly from Apple.

Red

My wife just got a K11 bumper for her standard 6s. It's not great. Mine is perfect, besides a couple little specks printed into the tpu. The tpu on hers looks like it was printed wrong, seems like it bled around the aluminum on one side of the phone. Her top volume button cover does not click at all. Disappointed, and a little regretful because I kept recommending the case to her. We contacted ThanoTech about a replacement. I wonder if this is a fluke or if their post-Kickstarter run is not up to the same standard.

Update:
They are sending a replacement and a complimentary E2E screen protector. That's some best in class customer service.

gimmmick

Any 6s owners feeling a little remorse about the news of the se? A little part of me wants to jump on board with the se (the 5s was my favorite cell phone I have ever owned / used), but I have grown to fondly of the 4.7' screen. When I use my gf's 5s, it feels like a child's toy for some reason. Though the body design is second to none and with a phone that is priced 250 dollars less then the standard 6s... a little part of me is feeling kind of screwed over. I would have more then happy traded off 3d touch and a shitter front facing camera if I was saving 250 in the process.

Vyer

Any 6s owners feeling a little remorse about the news of the se? A little part of me wants to jump on board with the se (the 5s was my favorite cell phone I have ever owned / used), but I have grown to fondly of the 4.7' screen. When I use my gf's 5s, it feels like a child's toy for some reason. Though the body design is second to none and with a phone that is priced 250 dollars less then the standard 6s... a little part of me is feeling kind of screwed over. I would have more then happy traded off 3d touch and a shitter front facing camera if I was saving 250 in the process.

The SE is a great option for anyone who wants a smaller phone, but I have no interest in that. and while I liked the 5 style a lot I'm more than happy with the 6/6S design. 3D Touch, bigger screen and better TouchID are more than enough reasons for the SE to not really be on my radar.

HUELEN10

So, I'm getting an iPhone 6S Mini, hopefully at launch!

Any one came to a 6S from a 6? If so, as far as your use up util now, how beneficial has 2 GB of RAM been for you?

Red

2GB RAM is nice. The more the better.

Compared to older iPhones? On a scale of one to bacon, 2GB RAM is three waffles better.

HUELEN10

Round or square? if square, oh man...

I just got a case and a glass screen protector for it for 15 bucks total in preparation, got a 290 USD guaranteed trade, and am currently looking for a 300 or higher offer. I am ready, and I am HYPED.

Any of you still shooting live photos, or is it a gimmick that gets old?

Red

Live photos can be great, but the technical limitations hurt their potential. All extra frames are low resolution, the frame rate is chopped to hell in low light, flash is not sustained for the duration of the sequence, and any edits made to the pictures destroy the live content. In the right situation they can be pretty cool, but you generally need to plan for them, and are probably better off recording a video or using an app like Vine.

Vyer

So, I'm getting an iPhone 6S Mini, hopefully at launch!

Any one came to a 6S from a 6? If so, as far as your use up util now, how beneficial has 2 GB of RAM been for you?

Mostly comes into play with Safari tabs. Less need for refreshing when switching between them.

Of course, if you aren't the type that does that much when browsing, might not be too noticeable then.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Live photos can be great, but the technical limitations hurt their potential. All extra frames are low resolution, the frame rate is chopped to hell in low light, flash is not sustained for the duration of the sequence, and any edits made to the pictures destroy the live content. In the right situation they can be pretty cool, but you generally need to plan for them, and are probably better off recording a video or using an app like Vine.
I agree. I make live photos out of my videos. Much much easier to get the loop right then (I know that's not the main selling point of them from Apple's POV).

M.D

I was hoping to get an Iphone 6s plus from a relative coming from the US but told her too late and will have an opportunity to get it in June or July

Meanwhile my sister switched her Iphone 5 to some Android phone, and I was thinking of using that to get used to iOS till I get a newer model

How well does the latest version run on this phone and much of a downgrade would I feel from my currnt LG G2?

Top Bottom