• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone 6S |OT|

Gaaraz

Took lots of photos on holiday and ran out of iCloud backup space - is there any way to sync just my favourite photos with my iPad?

Vyer

Took lots of photos on holiday and ran out of iCloud backup space - is there any way to sync just my favourite photos with my iPad?

An album, maybe? If you have iCloud Photo Library on it should sync. You could then remove/copy to your desktop or laptop the photos you don't want to keep there

Gaaraz

Thank you, sorry that's what I used to have enabled, but I took more photos than I have iCloud storage, so can't sync them that way :(

Just got an iPhone 6S, been using Windows Phone for a long time. Already downloading a bunch of MS apps and others I never got the chance to try.

Any good guides or recommendations for settings to enable, disable, etc.?

What about map apps? Which one is "the best"?

Just got an iPhone 6S, been using Windows Phone for a long time. Already downloading a bunch of MS apps and others I never got the chance to try.

Any good guides or recommendations for settings to enable, disable, etc.?

What about map apps? Which one is "the best"?

As far as I know, Google Maps is still the best. If you use Siri for directions a lot, you will find using Maps inevitable. As far as privacy, I think this is a good settings video. If you plan on using 3D Touch, go in Settings>Accessibility>3D Touch and lower the 3D Touch Sensitivity to low so you won't have to press as hard for feedback

As far as I know, Google Maps is still the best. If you use Siri for directions a lot, you will find using Maps inevitable. As far as privacy, I think this is a good settings video. If you plan on using 3D Touch, go in Settings>Accessibility>3D Touch and lower the 3D Touch Sensitivity to low so you won't have to press as hard for feedback

Thanks. So, to clarify, you're recommending the Google Maps app, not the default (Apple) Maps? Sounds like Siri is programmed to use Maps exclusively?

BUMP: Anyone know why my Facebook contacts aren't syncing/being added to my Contacts app? I went to my FB Settings page, signed in there, turned on Contacts sync/access, and ran the sync process, but it says "0 contacts updated".

I'm trying to get the contact cards linked up so my contacts have images/profile pics, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Vyer

Thanks. So, to clarify, you're recommending the Google Maps app, not the default (Apple) Maps? Sounds like Siri is programmed to use Maps exclusively?

Personally I find the Google Maps app still my preference for seeing traffic (I don't like how Apple Maps represents it graphically) but for the most part Apple Maps is fine for for what I need on a daily basis. This will vary of course depending on your usage.

But yes, iphones don't let you change default apps, so Siri for example will default to apple maps. so of course it being integrated into the rest of the phone OS makes it just easier to use apple maps primarily.

BUMP: Anyone know why my Facebook contacts aren't syncing/being added to my Contacts app? I went to my FB Settings page, signed in there, turned on Contacts sync/access, and ran the sync process, but it says "0 contacts updated".

I'm trying to get the contact cards linked up so my contacts have images/profile pics, but it doesn't seem to be working.

you're talking about the fb page in the Settings menu or some sort of settings page on Facebook itself?

Vyer

Thanks. I'll stick with Apple Maps and see how it goes. I heard they improved a ton since the early launch.

And yeah, the FB page in the Settings menu. Some of my contacts have their FB photo but a ton of them don't and I'm not sure why.

Looks like I'm not the only one? Another reddit post here, too. Damn.

Ah,I see. Yeah I never do that since I also use my phone for work and the one time I tried I realized it will then pull Facebook photos from people I barely knew and it was too weird.

Number45

Anyone have experience with the Amazon Basics certified Lightning cables? Wanted to pick up a few spares/replacements and if they're good enough for someone who treats his cables pretty well it seems like a decent option for a third of the price.

It's hardly as if the Apple cables themselves are the most hardy of products anyway.

Nephtis

Hey guys,

I don't know what to do.

Up until now I've had my music on a USB stick and I just plug that in my car (2015 honda accord). However, I don't like that I can't easily switch back or even skip through a song, or go to a certain folder without having to go through a bunch of steps to get to it.

I have my iphone synced to my car, and I have plenty of space (currently have 60gb free on it). But, I was driving with a friend of mine and he paired his ipod nano to it and it worked great. Using it was fantastic and I didn't have to take my eyes off the road at any time - it's just that easy to use.

Should I just shell out the $150 to buy one? I paid for my phone upfront (128gb 6s Plus) and I almost feel I'm doing it a disservice by not fully utilizing it as a media player while in my car. So, as I said at the beginning, I am at a loss. What do you guys recommend?

Nephtis

Shell out for what? If you already have an iPhone and a car that supports BT audio you don't need anything else.

yeah but I've noticed that my iphone doesn't navigate through music well :\

the ui is nowhere near as intuitive as the ipod nano seems to be (for me at least)

are there good apps for music other than itunes?

Number45

Now I understand. I don't have a Nano to compare, but I don't have any particular issue with getting around on the iPhone. Have you tried using Siri?

Nephtis

Now I understand. I don't have a Nano to compare, but I don't have any particular issue with getting around on the iPhone. Have you tried using Siri?

I haven't - this is my first iphone and I'm still getting to know it. I know I don't like the music app it's got though - not for my own stored music at least lol

Number45

Probably easiest then if you define specifically what you liked about the Nano itself, and see if it's possible with the iPhone or Siri integration. Personally I just queue stuff up to play and away I go, then use the manual controls on the car if I want to skip through.

Anything more involved and it's not something I should be doing when driving. If you want to play a track, album or playlist you can just ask Siri to do it for you.

How many of you guys here have "Siri always on"?

Got my phone since November and I still haven't turned it on, (meaning i have to hold down the home button to access Siri)

My question is, to those who have it on, or turned it on recently after having it off, have you noticed any big difference in battery usage/drop?

How bad does it effect the battery when the Siri is always listening?

Thanks

jts

...hate me...
Can’t help there - I’ve always had it on, super handy.

But with battery life of the iPhone being as critical as it is, and the 6s even features a smaller battery that the predecessor, I will assume Apple only green-lit this feature because the impact on battery must be residual.

anyone here experience these graphical glitches?

pressing on camera app and the screen freezes/doesnt load for 2/3 seconds?

the tab/favorites bar on the bottom of safari has mild artifacting for 1/2 second when clicking on safari from time to time.

Vyer

How many of you guys here have "Siri always on"?

Got my phone since November and I still haven't turned it on, (meaning i have to hold down the home button to access Siri)

My question is, to those who have it on, or turned it on recently after having it off, have you noticed any big difference in battery usage/drop?

How bad does it effect the battery when the Siri is always listening?

Thanks

I haven't noticed any real impact. I'm guessing the m7 helps there

Red

anyone here experience these graphical glitches?

pressing on camera app and the screen freezes/doesnt load for 2/3 seconds?

the tab/favorites bar on the bottom of safari has mild artifacting for 1/2 second when clicking on safari from time to time.
Yup. On the plus? Sometimes the camera app never loads and I have to force it closed. If I open it from within the messenger app, to attach a photo, it never focuses properly.

So my 6S doesn't notify or let me access new voicemails until after a phone reboot. Someone will call, I'll miss it--and that's that. No notification of a new voicemail, nor does it appear. However, once I reboot, it's the first notification that pops up on my lock screen.

I've tried resetting my cellular/network settings (read that as a solution online) with no luck.

Is there a better way to take care of this?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
How big is the possibility that my data is gone when I would go to the Apple Store and let the internal speaker replace?

iCloud Backup is aborting all the time and local backups are no option...

How big is the possibility that my data is gone when I would go to the Apple Store and let the internal speaker replace?

Not big, but it does happen

Also just speaking generally, speaker repairs are kinda bullshit. They mostly don't work, and it ends up being a whole phone swap. That ups the chances of you needing a good recent backup

Did they already tell you it needs a speaker replacement or is that speculation on your part?

Try to get a cloud backup if possible. Rule of worst case scenario when you take any electronic device in... It might be replaced with a new one.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Not big, but it does happen

Also just speaking generally, speaker repairs are kinda bullshit. They mostly don't work, and it ends up being a whole phone swap. That ups the chances of you needing a good recent backup

Did they already tell you it needs a speaker replacement or is that speculation on your part?

Oh man, thats shitty.
I hope I am able to make a backup over the WLAN here, at home it takes three days and aborts in between...

I am pretty sure the speaker are broken, I was send a YouTube video and now I have blown loud speakers... When I start a music piece on my phone it sounds scratched and on another phone it just sounds fine.
iPhone 6 here by the way, I use this thread because the other are dead.

Out of warranty of course, so I just hope they fix it for free for goodwill or something like this...

Oh man, thats shitty.
I hope I am able to make a backup over the WLAN here, at home it takes three days and aborts in between...

I am pretty sure the speaker are broken, I was send a YouTube video and now I have blown loud speakers... When I start a music piece on my phone it sounds scratched and on another phone it just sounds fine.
iPhone 6 here by the way, I use this thread because the other are dead.

Out of warranty of course, so I just hope they fix it for free for goodwill or something like this...

Out of warranty..... Uhhhhhhhh best of luck! I don't want to rule anything out but that's a hell of a case to make to get a free repair. How far out are you?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Out of warranty..... Uhhhhhhhh best of luck! I don't want to rule anything out but that's a hell of a case to make to get a free repair. How far out are you?

I got the phone around christmas 2014. I dont really believe that I will get a free repair, but I will at least show it at the genius bar and hear how much money they want.

I just noticed that the iCloud Backup is again stuck at about one quarter... Man.
To bad local backups are no option because I forgot the keyword -,-

I got the phone around christmas 2014. I dont really believe that I will get a free repair, but I will at least show it at the genius bar and hear how much money they want.

I just noticed that the iCloud Backup is again stuck at about one quarter... Man.
To bad local backups are no option because I forgot the keyword -,-

Which keyword?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Which keyword?
You can put one on your backups but have to reenter it when you want to make a backup.
You can only avoid this when you set your phone up as a new device.

I have canceled my appointment in the Apple Store and was able to create a iCloud Backup.

Will first look into this whole Backup thing at the weekend, and make a new appointment afterwards.

I will post when I figured something out

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just picked up my 6S Plus. Any non-bulky case suggestions? And should I get some sort of screen protector? If so, any suggestions on that, too?

Red

Just picked up my 6S Plus. Any non-bulky case suggestions? And should I get some sort of screen protector? If so, any suggestions on that, too?
I like the K11 bumper. Thanotech's E2E screen protector is also pretty good. Precisely cut and very thin. It's a little fragile, I assume because of the thinness, but they offer a lifetime of $5 replacements.

Anion

I had a screen protector for the first week and then I replaced my iPhone. Never put it on the new one and I've had it since launch pretty much. It has a significantly harder screen than the IPhone 5S. I don't necessary baby it either

I have a K1 bumper too. Amazing and slick

Vyer

I use a Incipio NGP. It's decent, fairly minimal. Been seeing a lot of ads for a case called Peel that looks super thin, but I'm not sure of its quality.

I've tried this tempered glass protector and have been pretty impressed with it. Was even easy to reapply after I messed it up initially.

Red

I've had screen issues with the 6s plus, and my wife's 6s is scratched. I've never been a big fan of screen protectors but i had to go with one this round.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks for the info guys. A lot of the screen protectors say they don't fully cover the glass (leaving a sliver uncovered). Is this a noticeable issue?

Vyer

Thanks for the info guys. A lot of the screen protectors say they don't fully cover the glass (leaving a sliver uncovered). Is this a noticeable issue?

Yeah they will not go over the glass on the edge do they are all a little smaller. Some are worse than others. Cases make it a little less noticeable of course

Lexxism

Whew. My glass screen protector saved my phone big time. I'm probably seeing $100+ in fees but instead it's just $2. This is why I will keep on having a screen protector and a case 😀

Red

So I'm on my third or fourth screen replacement now and I've got a new batch of dead pixels in the upper left of the display. I can only assume this is a problem across Apple's supply, and there is no point in getting another replacement only to see the same problem again. Pretty disappointing. Never had dead pixels on any prior iPhones. On the 6s plus they keep appearing, and always around the same spot.

Red

They did prior replacements for free but won't do anymore. They said dead pixels aren't normally covered by Apple Care until they affect a larger portion of the screen.

Top Bottom