• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone SE |OT| A Dazzling Display of Common Sense (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gave up trying to find a 64gb space gray and decided to order direct from Apple. It'll take two and a half weeks but it beats driving around.

kiguel182

The SE releases here on Wednesday and I'm super excited to get my hands on one.

Only fear right now is getting to the store and finding out its sold out or isn't there yet. Ugh.

Just had my ipad stolen and my 3 y old phone is living on the edge, so this phone as replacement looks really interesting.

As someone that pretty much only use it for forums, occasional camera and streaming spotify/twitch, it feels like maby 16GB might be enough.. Can someone of you that has the phone check how much space the ios takes up for me it would be nice:)

jax

Banned
Just had my ipad stolen and my 3 y old phone is living on the edge, so this phone as replacement looks really interesting.

As someone that pretty much only use it for forums, occasional camera and streaming spotify/twitch, it feels like maby 16GB might be enough.. Can someone of you that has the phone check how much space the ios takes up for me it would be nice:)
16GB will work, but will feel cramped very quick. If you can, I would spring for the $100 upgrade.

Gave up trying to find a 64gb space gray and decided to order direct from Apple. It'll take two and a half weeks but it beats driving around.
It'll be worth the wait. Looks like Apple didn't anticipate such a high demand for their literal best phone! Weird.

dity

I use a small amount of apps so 16GB gets me by until I need to go back and delete some old pointless videos I took and already uploaded somewhere.

I bought a Rose Gold iPhone SE for my wife and she absolutely loves it. Upgrading from her old iPhone 4S, this is a significant upgrade in pretty much all areas! Screen, Blazing speed, slick camera, and its really lightweight too compared to the 4S too (I am guessing that's partly down to the aluminium back as opposed to all glass). The build quality is beautiful, it feels so solid in your hand, a great piece of engineering. Went for 64gb since this will be kept for a good number of years. TouchID is cool, and this is the slow version of it? Seems fast enough to me!

The transfer process, it's so good on iPhone. I recently did mine on my Nexus 5, and although Google transfers most stuff over, the iPhone also did WhatsApp too and was exactly like it had been left on the 4S. With Android, that had to be backed-up and restored individually when running the app for the first time. It's a small thing, but it just streamlines the entire process.

Really tempted to pick one up myself, but I think I'll hold out as planned and wait for the 7 in September. Not sure I am ready to drop to a 4" screen. Would be nice to have some pocket space back though :)

EDIT: I managed to preorder one from the Apple UK site for pick-up in my local store on Friday morning (Birmingham). I went in on Thursday lunch time, all sold out! They said they'd probably get stock the next day, so I checked the site and reserved for in-store pickup, handy!

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I had a $100 to upgrade on my account so I switched from Android over to this and I'm pretty damn happy with it. I had an iPhone 4 for a couple of years then went Android, but my entire social circle uses iPhone so the switch was due. The phone itself is beautiful and I love how it's back to the smaller scale, much easier to deal with.

HUELEN10

Just got AppleCare at the Apple Store; I am all in on this phone, even if a new 4-inch comes out this fall. I also got to see a Rose Gold one... But it just looks too copper and not pink enough for me. ALL they have left at mine is Rose Gold in 64 Unlocked. Apparently, even the Apple Store employees underestimated the want for this little guy.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
"It was like reconnecting with an ex lover" :D

Damn this thread, I'm tempted now to switch from my 6S to SE...
Would you prefer a smaller phone? If so you probably should, it's pretty much the same performance as the 6S.

I thought it would be difficult going back to a smaller phone, but I love it. I'm always so busy and on the go, having a smaller phone is so much more comfortable.

Yes, definitely would prefer a smaller less slippery phone. Bonus that the battery life is better too. I think I can sell the 6S for almost the same price of a new SE, so I'm not spending money.

HUELEN10

So, I tried out something at a friend's today...

THIS + Nimbus + iPhone SE = amazing.

If you already have a Nimbus, I would actually suggest just getting the clip and tossing it in a bag with you instead of getting the Moga or The Logi shell. Though the shell aren't bad, the Nimbus is a GREAT controller if you don't mind packing it in your bag.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I'm looking forward to getting one of these to hopefully convince myself to use my phone less. I want to text on it, check some emails and sports scores, and little else. It'll actually free up my reliance on it for entertainment.

HUELEN10

I'm looking forward to getting one of these to hopefully convince myself to use my phone less. I want to text on it, check some emails and sports scores, and little else. It'll actually free up my reliance on it for entertainment.

You say this, just as I make this thread. Tsk tsk tsk...

dity

I don't get the whole "it should have a new design" tech youtube videos. Like, the SE is compatible with legit thousands of cases and accessories out of the gate. That's better than being a tiny iPhone 6 that will get no cases or accessories (kinda like the 5C, which got some Apple cases and that's it).

HUELEN10

I don't get the whole "it should have a new design" tech youtube videos. Like, the SE is compatible with legit thousands of cases and accessories out of the gate. That's better than being a tiny iPhone 6 that will get no cases or accessories (kinda like the 5C, which got some Apple cases and that's it).

Exactly. It's like they are trying to come up with shit just to say something negative or concerning about it. Truth is, the thing just has very little, if anything, to hate or dislike.

iPhone SE is not for everyone, but I think it's safe to say that every iPhone SE owner absolutely LOVES the device.

AzureSky

Apple products in general and iPhone in particular is seen by a lot of people as part of modern fashion. Like buying a new expensive handbag. This people are obviosly dismayed if the new handbag looks like the old one.

dity

Apple products in general and iPhone in particular is seen by a lot of people as part of modern fashion. Like buying a new expensive handbag. This people are obviosly dismayed if the new handbag looks like the old one.

Most people throw a case on it

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Been happy on Android for a few years but I decided to get an SE last week because we're doing a lot of iOS exclusive stuff at work, got to say, people made fun of the reviewers who said everything is slightly less impressive on a smaller screen but I do really agree, photos & videos just don't have the same impact even though I was only using an S6 before. It's a very weird sensation to look at photos I used to think were really good and just not see it anymore.

Having said that I'm very happy with the phone, comfort wise, this is the perfect size for a phone (for me), performance is great, battery life seems really good (though Clash Royale is currently destroying my uptimes, can't blame Apple for that), and I think after 4 or 5 days my brain is starting to accept the smaller viewport again, still really miss that Android back button though, I guess it will be a good week before I'm over that.

Armadilo

Banned
ordered, but still waiting for delivery.
I know everyone wants the 64gb one, but i feel 16gb is enough for me if i can save 100€. I'm using the 8gb Nexus4 at the moment and manage just fine.

Same, have android 5gb only.. hope 16gb is enough for until the i7

AzureSky

depends how you will use it.
For example, i'm not into watching videos or listening to music on it. Have an iPad for videos and tiny dedicated mp3 player for audiobooks.
My current phone is used for messaging, browsing, photos (not much), and few games. I expect that will not change much with the iPhone.

Zalman

I'm still using an iPhone 5 and even I'm surprised to say it still runs smoothly without any problems. I'm pretty happy with it. If I were to get a new phone, I'd probably get this. The screen size is just perfect for me, and I like how easy it is to use with one hand. It's great to see there's a modern option for this iPhone size now too, even if I don't plan on getting one at the moment.

The battery life hasn't seemed much improved from my 5S at this point. This is anecdotal but I'm still running down into the teens percentage-wise by evening.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Damn, wish I jumped on this, now it's all out :( And the prices on ebay are way higher now. Guess I'll wait a bit, but if anyone knows of good deals shipping to or within Europe, let me know.
I'm using that one to type this now, just got it shipped in from that eBay deal. Like the guy up above there, I too was shocked at how great my 5 was still performing, and I don't really see a quantum leap in performance just yet but I guess I will.

micster

0IzrnqT.png
Doh. No idea how my dying 4S is going to last that long, but it must.

So while I'm super happy overall with my SE, especially with the battery under "normal" use, I've noticed something and I'm wondering if it's just me. When watching YouTube, the phone gets super hot and you can watch the battery drain about 1% (or more) per minute. Is this normal? It's the only thing that disappoints me, as my previous 6 Plus could stream YouTube videos without any adverse affect on the heat/battery drain. Anyone else experiencing this?

EmiPrime

So while I'm super happy overall with my SE, especially with the battery under "normal" use, I've noticed something and I'm wondering if it's just me. When watching YouTube, the phone gets super hot and you can watch the battery drain about 1% (or more) per minute. Is this normal? It's the only thing that disappoints me, as my previous 6 Plus could stream YouTube videos without any adverse affect on the heat/battery drain. Anyone else experiencing this?

Wifi or cellular?

Wifi or cellular?

In yesterday's particular case, it was cellular. I'll try again on wifi when I get home from work. I did notice the same thing with FaceTime over wifi this past weekend, though, so maybe whatever those two apps are doing really crank up the processor or something. Seems odd that YouTube would cause an issue, but streaming Twitch over cellular doesn't.

Mimosa97

Any recommendations for a case ? I have the white and silver SE.

This is my first iphone so I don't know what to pick :(

Any recommendations for a case ? I have the white and silver SE.

This is my first iphone so I don't know what to pick :(

I really like the official Apple cases. I'm grabbing a black leather one tomorrow at the Apple Store. I had a black silicon one on my 6s and it was amazing.

How are you liking the phone?

Mimosa97

I really like the official Apple cases. I'm grabbing a black leather one tomorrow at the Apple Store. I had a black silicon one on my 6s and it was amazing.

How are you liking the phone?

I think the phone is amazing. So light and snappy. I had an ipad for years so I'm pretty familiar with the OS even though it's my first iphone.

Only slight disappointment is the screen size. I knew the screen was going to be small (I hate big phones that's why I bought it anyways) but I didn't expect it to be THAT small lol It's still fine though.

I feel like the cases on the official website are very overpriced. I just need something to protect the screen and back from scratches. I don't really care about the design.

BioFan

Anybody got the 16gb SE ?
Just got the silver 16GB SE! The 64GB was sold out, but I thought for my need, 16GB should be enough.
Gives you about 11.5GB free space. I rarely take pictures or videos with my phone. I'll use it mostly test my own games, since I'm an IOS developer.
I had the 4S, and my wife has the 6. At the store I didnt like the SE compared to the 6S on display. But I gave it a go cos of the price, and when I opened mine, I thought it looked soop good. The store display was only in rose gold, maybe I didnt like cos of the color. I thought the silver was beautiful.
I used an 5.5' android phone previously, and I didnt feel the SE too small. Though I have to agree that it doesn't look as good for watching videos or photos. But for playing games, it's great!

HUELEN10

So, uh, what are my best options:

If you are an honest man, you will NOT call (800) 275-2273 to do a remote diagnostic to pass it and be able to buy Apple Care for for 99 USD with the intention of using the 79 USD accidental damage discount later.

If you are an honest man, you might just pay 129 for a 1-time screen placement from Apple.

And if you are cheap, you will buy a generic 5S display and swap it out.

At this point, I would ask for option B.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom