• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone SE |OT| A Dazzling Display of Common Sense (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
t-mobile germany just changed my order status to "an Paketdienst übergeben" which translates to "given to parcel service" :D

thought about buying the mophie too, but I already have a power bank.

HUELEN10

Hell yes.
XwNLXvC.jpg

HUELEN10

The one thing I really wanna know is if SE users can have Live Photo Wallpapers like 6S users can.

I can't believe no one has answered this!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
every review I read so far pointed out the battery life and that it's amazing.

Sounds really promising and the SE even beats the 6S+ in some benchmarks and the 6S in most.
x92N5Je.jpg

source engadget

Shaneus

It could be and I hope it is. My concern is where do they go from here? I honestly hope they just keep buffing up the specs every year but keep the same size. With that, it couldn't be the best iPhone ever!
That's the only way I'd keep upgrading to a new iPhone every few years. Hell, they kept the same basic size/form with the iPod for fuck knows how long, they should do it with their phones too... at least, one model of them.

daxy

I've been looking into switching over to an iPhone for a while now, but wasn't exactly a fan of size and design new newer models, nor enthusiastic about the removal of the headphone jack in the 7. Didn't want to drop money on the 5S either because of the older hardware there. I'm sure my situation does translate that well to broader consumers who might already own a 6 or a comparable Android-based phone, but the SE was literally a 'what if' scenario I'd hoped for but didn't consider realistic. Anyway, I've ordered the thing and really looking forward to trying it out.

kiguel182

I just decided to buy this when it hits stores here and I'm excited! My first iPhone and, alt ought the "downgrade" from 4.5 inches I have now my take some time getting used to I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it.

Only bummer I have with this phone really is the screen not being as good as the 6s.

EDIT: Also, I hope the stores have enough stock so I can get it next week!

Shaneus

Posted I was getting one of these on my FB, astonished by the number of people saying "yeah, me too!", simultaneously bemoaning the forced size increase if you wanted a higher-spec phone. Guess Apple knows their market.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Phil was right when he said it in 2012... A phone SHOULD feel great in the hand!

definitely. I have a iPhone 6 with 128GB and I am willing to give it up just because I love the 4" size more. Hell if I had an iPhone 6S I would switch.

Posted I was getting one of these on my FB, astonished by the number of people saying "yeah, me too!", simultaneously bemoaning the forced size increase if you wanted a higher-spec phone. Guess Apple knows their market.

Apple said that in the US alone 20% of the iPhone buyers chose a 4" iPhone. You can't tell me that they all just wanted the cheapest option. The thirst for power and a great camera in a small size is real.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

watching reviewer reach for a negative point..

So strange, on my first flight to japan I watched movies for 8 hours on my iPhone 5 and it worked. Now they sound like you aren't even able to stand watching youtube videos on it..

Edit: yay I got a DHL tracking number.

jax

Banned
watching reviewer reach for a negative point..

So strange, on my first flight to japan I watched movies for 8 hours on my iPhone 5 and it worked. Now they sound like you aren't even able to stand watching youtube videos on it..
So many people act like watching a movie on an iPhone 6+ is like 4K+Dolby 7.1 Surround IMAX when in reality it's still going to be a phone screen. If you can fit a screen in your pocket, it sucks to watch movies on. These facts are hard for people who just dropped a grand on an underpowered pocket iPad to swallow.

HUELEN10

People just can't legit Diss this phone because there is nothing TOO Diss. It's a smaller 6S and meets or exceeds that phone where it counts, and surpasses any other 4incher to date.

It's like... There's nothing wrong with it.

Like, you can't say a single thing that is wrong about it because there simply isn't anything that it does wrong.

It's kinda crazy!

Like obviously, I am hyped for this phone, but personal feelings aside, when you consider what the phone actually is, there is objectively nothing wrong with it... Like at all.

Crazy awesome.

jax

Banned
People just can't legit Diss this phone because there is nothing TOO Diss. It's a smaller 6S and meets or exceeds that phone where it counts, and surpasses any other 4incher to date.

It's like... There's nothing wrong with it.

Like, you can't say a single thing that is wrong about it because there simply isn't anything that it does wrong.

It's kinda crazy!
"Oh it's an old design so it sucks.."
Nikon and Rolex have had their iconic designs for the better half of a century.
"Samsung wouldn't let this happen"
Samsung has never produced a design anywhere close to this iconic.

Touch ID no one will notice due to overall speed improvements
3D Touch, while useless, can be fully replicated by jailbreak
The selfie camera.. Eh, I'm not a huge selfie fan. I could see how this sucks for some people though. The only real downside and plus, we get a 12MP 4K camera that doesn't obnoxiously jut out of the back for no reason.

I'm friggen stoked, lol. Did anyone else get a MOGA case? I tried mine out in an old iPhone and that thing is about to be super great.

I'm stoked for more reviews! Lol. Thanks for posting the Wired one.

Armadilo

Banned
You're on Virgin too? Will you be getting a Virgin prepaid iPhone? Or getting an actual phone plan?

I'm on Virgin myself and currently have a 5C. It was like $350 or so unsubsidized from Virgin and am planning on using part of my tax return to get a 6S+. $750 will be a lot but maybe I'll get lucky and they'll have a sale around the same time. Probably not. (Got my 5C for 20% off during a sale.) I would get an SE if I didn't really want to get a bigger screen.
My plan was to join tmobile because Virgin Mobile just sucks, especially with them adding tax so instead of just $35 a month your paying almost 40 for some bad service.

jax

Banned
those are negative points. those are all things people do with phones nowadays.
People use iPhones for VR? I know GearVR is a thing, although it's a terrible representation of actual VR. I don't think anyone who's buying an iPhone thinks "how am I going to use this for VR tho". As for watching video on a phone, the experience does not change going from 4 inch to 5.5, they're both tiny screens, and going to be a terrible experience regardless compared to actual televisions or tablets. Regardless, the increased battery on the SE allows you to watch more video than it's bigger brothers. So if anything it's better for watching video. And the scrolling crap can be solved by adjusting font size. Ezpz.

whiteape

"Oh it's an old design so it sucks.."
Nikon and Rolex have had their iconic designs for the better half of a century.
"Samsung wouldn't let this happen"
Samsung has never produced a design anywhere close to this iconic.

Touch ID no one will notice due to overall speed improvements
3D Touch, while useless, can be fully replicated by jailbreak
The selfie camera.. Eh, I'm not a huge selfie fan. I could see how this sucks for some people though. The only real downside and plus, we get a 12MP 4K camera that doesn't obnoxiously jut out of the back for no reason.

I'm friggen stoked, lol. Did anyone else get a MOGA case? I tried mine out in an old iPhone and that thing is about to be super great.

I'm stoked for more reviews! Lol. Thanks for posting the Wired one.

I really like the SE and maybe would get it too if i hadn't bought a 6S a month ago. But the bolded part isn't true. Touch ID on the 6s is so much better! It's a huge difference and i don't want to miss the way faster sensor from the 6s.

jax

Banned
No it isn't. Minus positional tracking, it's surprisingly close in quality to the consumer rift. It even has better FOV.
A phone doesn't have anywhere near the horsepower/compatibility of a modern gaming PC. GearVR is nifty, but merely a taste of what's possible. I've never seen an iPhone used for VR.
I really like the SE and maybe would get it too if i hadn't bought a 6S a month ago. But the bolded part isn't true. Touch ID on the 6s is so much better! It's a huge difference and i don't want to miss the way faster sensor from the 6s.
I have a mini 4 and 6S. the difference is negligible. If anything. The 6S sensor is /too/ fast. Makes the lock screen notification viewer redundant. I had to give this some thought too, but ultimately the convenience of size beats touch sensor speed.

AzureSky

Wouldnt mind for the screen to be a bit larger, 4.5 is perfect for me, but i can live with 4. Couldnt find anything else wrong with it, phone looks as perfect for that price as it can get.

Had only android phones so far, but iPhoneSE is the first apple phone having a reasonable price and my resolve faltered. My nexus4 needs a replacement and this looks very nice, i guess i'm joining the glorious apple master race now ...

I've gone back and forth on this so much. I was originally set on it, but weighing the pros and cons has be uncertain. I love the more sleek, comfortable, easy to use phone, but...the lower quality display is an issue for me, the lesser quality front facing camera is an issue for me, plus, I enjoyed reading books on a 4.7 inch screen much more than on a 4 inch screen. I don't watch movies or tv shows on my phone, but when watching YouTube videos, I found that much more enjoyable with the higher quality, and larger screen.

Part of me wants to wait to see what Apple does with the iPhone 7. The increase in weight of the phone from the 6 to the 6S is what really turned me off. The 6 was never uncomfortable weight wise, but again not as easy to use as a 4 inch screen. If they reduced the weight somehow to around the weight of the 6, that would be fantastic. But if still be dealing with a phone that wasn't as comfortable to use.

Decisions, decisions.

Jimrpg

It just dawned on me that the latest ipod touch is also a 4" screen, but with a similar shell to the iphone 6/6s. I think it would have been cool if the iphone SE used that body, but I get why the used the 5/5s body to differentiate it from the 6/6s in marketing.

Wouldnt mind for the screen to be a bit larger, 4.5 is perfect for me, but i can live with 4. Couldnt find anything else wrong with it, phone looks as perfect for that price as it can get.

Had only android phones so far, but iPhoneSE is the first apple phone having a reasonable price and my resolve faltered. My nexus4 needs a replacement and this looks very nice, i guess i'm joining the glorious apple master race now ...

Why not just get the 6s?

fRqPe1a.jpg

Most common sense thing I did was get one of these for my big screen phone. You can have your cake and eat it to. Or actually at lunch I kick back and have the phone in my left hand, noms in the right.

I might have interest in a mini phone like this but the weight is still a bit much for not weighing down when wearing athletic shorts. 4.0 oz vs 5 is not a big enough difference.

AzureSky

Why not just get the 6s?

because it's 250€ more expensive and i'm not ready to pay that much for bigger screen. I dont really care about the other minor differences and dont see them as added value.

good price / value is the most important thing i am looking for in a phone, and iPhoneSE has it in my opinion. Fun fact, i actually wanted to buy a new iPad before it was announced but reconsidered because the higher price for added pencil support is worthless to me. Never even considered buying an apple phone, they have always been too expensive compared to similair android devices.

Jimrpg

because it's 250€ more expensive and i'm not ready to pay that much for bigger screen. I dont really care about the other minor differences and dont see them as added value.

good price / value is the most important thing i am looking for in a phone, and iPhoneSE has it in my opinion. Fun fact, i actually wanted to buy a new iPad before it was announced but reconsidered because the higher price for added pencil support is worthless to me. Never even considered buying an apple phone, they have always been too expensive compared to similair android devices.

Its an incredible phone at a great price in the US.

Price/value ratio isn't as good in Australia but its still $400 cheaper than the iphone 6s.

Gandie

Can anyone recommend a good case for the SE? Under 20€ if possible and on amazon.de. I'm honestly overwhelmed by the amount of options. I don't even know where to start looking through them.
Pre-ordered my 64GB space-grey today, shipping is estimated mid April.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone recommend a good case for the SE? Under 20€ if possible and on amazon.de. I'm honestly overwhelmed by the amount of options. I don't even know where to start looking through them.
Pre-ordered my 64GB space-grey today, shipping is estimated mid April.

original apple leather case for 18€. it's usual 49€ but it's the "old" one for the iPhone 5S. But thanks to the same design it fits perfectly.
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00F4RAU6I/ but don't forget it is real leather. after usage it will get a patina and darken.
413mnC2uCQL._SL256_.jpg

flyover

fRqPe1a.jpg

Most common sense thing I did was get one of these for my big screen phone. You can have your cake and eat it to. Or actually at lunch I kick back and have the phone in my left hand, noms in the right.
This is really clever! I'm still getting the SE, but I like this.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My plan was to join tmobile because Virgin Mobile just sucks, especially with them adding tax so instead of just $35 a month your paying almost 40 for some bad service.
If you use automatic payment you save $5. My bill is only $33. And my service, while not the best, works well enough for me.

I would switch to someone else if I could find someone as easy as Virgin has been for me and they had iPhones for a good enough price.

I don't want to switch to an expensive monthly plan with a contract. I can't afford it. I'd prefer to stay prepaid. Pay more all at once for the phone then less every month for service. But I just never know who to go to. I came from Net10 to Virgin and haven't left since. I've been with Virgin longer than Net10 at this point.

Thing is you never know what kind of coverage you're going to get. Even with those silly maps.

Shaneus

I should be getting mine today :) Seems like from this thread, I (or at least, some Australians) will be getting theirs before most other places in the world? What's the date it's supposed to hit the streets?

Keep in mind it's the 31st here.

Also a bit gutted that it's not jailbroken yet, but I'm sure I'll survive.

Longtime Windows Phone user here (literally, since the launch of WP7) fed up with MS's inability to stick with a direction, as well as how Windows 10 Mobile is neglected and how buggy my 950 is (who knows how much of that is hardware vs OS, but whatever).

Looking to jump ship and mostly just want a solid, reliable phone that I can depend on--plus having access to a bunch of apps would be nice.

Naturally, I'm looking back to iPhones and the SE looks great. I really don't care about the stuff it's missing from the latest/last iPhone gen.

I'm going to sell my 950 and hopefully get a couple hundred for it. I'm on ATT and still have my grandfathered unlimited plan. However, my contract isn't up until Nov 2016.

Is the $400 price point just the straight-up purchase cost? Like, could I go into the ATT store, buy it for $400, switch my SIM, and that's that? The upgrade path on the ATT site confuses the hell out of me because they're pushing ATT Next so hard.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks!

HUELEN10

Well, I wouldn't buy it at ATT because they lock their handsets, but 400 USD is the full, all-inclusive buy-it-now price for the lowest tier one. As a day-one iOS user though, I'd advise to get the 500 USD 64 GB one instead. You will be buying a phone at will be current and capable for at LEAST the next 2.5 years with support beyond that.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I want one of these. It's by far my favorite phone design ever. Even with my big hands, I vastly prefer the size of this body to that of my iPhone 6. I may end up 'downgrading', I'm not sure. I think David brings up one valid point in his Wired written review: sites and apps are simply moving on from a screen of that size. I worry about aignment and content break-up that wouldn't be present on a more modern phone size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom