• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pre-order Thread - iPhone 8, 8+, Watch Series 3, AppleTV 4K

RDreamer

People are waiting for the X

Wonder how many are like me and just don't know what the fuck to do. Phone companies have just ended subsidies so these things are way more expensive. On top of that, getting the best iPhone now means even more and you're still paying an arm and a leg for an 8 or 8+ and not getting the best apple phone.

iPhones 8's can still be had for release date shipping....this thing may have utterly bombed

*in comparison to other iphone launches

I think part of that is due to insane hype (2 years worth of rumours?) for the X
people are waiting for it
, and them having cut down the number of SKUs compared to last few years means they can get a good number out early.

e.g, last year they were retailing:
- 7 & 7+
- then each in 32, 128 & 256GB
- and then each of those in Black, Jet Black, Silver, Gold, Rose Gold (and then later Product RED).
- And then 4 variants with different LTE/CDMA bands for different regions.

Thats a lot of devices to create/manage inventory for. This year by comparison, they only needed to ramp up

- 8 / 8+
- 64 & 256
- black, white, gold
- 4 LTE/CDMA variants for different regions.
and they have 4 years experience now of manufacturing the iPhone 6 design in bulk

Am I crazy in thinking iPhone X won't be that bad to get hold off at 8:01am.
Sure I can see it selling out that day but I have a suspicion that it's not gonna be all gone in 5 mins or so.
Am I crazy?
It’s really hard to say, with that pricetag, but every sign points to Apple having problems manufacturing enough of these to go around. I don’t think it’ll be as hard to get as the Apple Watch was at its initial launch, but I think if you wait until 8:01 am (assuming you are talking about 8 hours after it launches at midnight Pacific Time) you won’t get yours until December.

People will realize this once they find out that new and shiny doesnt always mean better

Start thinking objectively
New and shiny don’t always mean better, but the combination of OLED screen and noticeably higher resolution, combined with a much smaller form factor for an equivalent screen-size to the “Plus” phones, is the largest improvement for an Apple phone in a long time. The screen *is* objectively better in almost every way. The size is the important point for me - I don’t want a giant phone in my pocket or my hand, the iPhone 7 size feels perfect. But Apple has been keeping features off of the smaller phones, and the resolution pretty low for the screen size, though they should be considered just as “flagship” as the “Plus” phones, just a different form factor.

Of course, you can get these improvements from other, non-Apple phones...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
In for an iPhone X I think.
Just waiting for more detail on O2's plans but it's looking at least £72 a month.
I might look to put some more down up front to lower the monthly cost, already pay around £60 a month.

That really is only the viable option for myself, if I was to not go down that path it would just get silly money getting it on the iPhone Upgrade Programme.

Break it down.

What do you pay now for your phone, and what for your plan?

X is £48pm for the 64GB on iPhone payments. £56 on the IUP.

You should be able to get a decent SIM only plan for £10-20pm. https://www.e2save.com/sim-only/contract have Vodafone 20GB for £11.75 per month. Same with mobiles.co.uk.

dc89

You're crazy. Have you seen someone about that?

I'll go Dr's first thing tomorrow.

It’s really hard to say, with that pricetag, but every sign points to Apple having problems manufacturing enough of these to go around. I don’t think it’ll be as hard to get as the Apple Watch was at its initial launch, but I think if you wait until 8:01 am (assuming you are talking about 8 hours after it launches at midnight Pacific Time) you won’t get yours until December.

Ah should have clarified. 8:01am is the time the pre-orders go up here in Brexitland.

Break it down.

What do you pay now for your phone, and what for your plan?

X is £48pm for the 64GB on iPhone payments. £56 on the IUP.

You should be able to get a decent SIM only plan for £10-20pm. https://www.e2save.com/sim-only/contract have Vodafone 20GB for £11.75 per month. Same with mobiles.co.uk.

Hmm yeah need to do some maths.

Wonder how many are like me and just don't know what the fuck to do. Phone companies have just ended subsidies so these things are way more expensive. On top of that, getting the best iPhone now means even more and you're still paying an arm and a leg for an 8 or 8+ and not getting the best apple phone.

They ended subsidies, but added the option to pay monthly installments, which does help people who don't have any cash on hand to just get it ASAP.

jts

...hate me...
Wait, so follow up. What playlists are you syncing? Music you manually added to your phone? I use spotify for everything so I'm assuming I can't download those playlists and play them?
No, just from the Music app. Which can be manually added music or from Apple Music. Sorry.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
*£20 per month

Only £11.75 if you successfully claim the cash back.

It’s a little bit of pain but easy enough. I did both of my kids contracts SIM only through e2save which were effectively £0 after cash back. You can do it all online - you email them a pdf bill and get the money sent as a cheque. Just set up a calendar reminder in advance for each month.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
The real question is - will the X be a PenTile or RGB OLED?
I don't think Samsung even makes a full RGB mobile OLED display. It's probably a diamond arrangement like they've done on the Galaxy/Note for a couple iterations now (superior to PenTile given high enough PPI). DisplayMate has a good overview of it.

giga

Yeah, I was on the beta on my ipad and didn't see the 4k symbol until I updated to the final version of iOS 11.

Don't get me wrong, having an OLED is amazing and wish I could get one. Playing with an S8 was amazing with how nice that screen is, especially with something colorful like people playing splatoon on youtube.

Do you notice the shift for true-tone often? Maybe it's the lighting in my place but I don't really notice it much on my ipad.
It's most noticeable in tungsten lighting. Compare a device that has it and one without it side by side. Pretty apparent.

yeah someone tell me what to do pls

I have an iPhone 5 and want a new phone

should I wait for a Black Friday iPhone 7 sale or something

giga

yeah someone tell me what to do pls

I have an iPhone 5 and want a new phone

should I wait for a Black Friday iPhone 7 sale or something
What is your budget? I feel like there's a good phone for every budget now. And upgrade programs from carriers and Apple lessen the burden over time.

64BG 6S refurb: $430
32GB 7: $550
64GB 8: $700 ($29/month over 24 months)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
this seems like a good deal

64 GB 6S Plus claimed to be mint condition $400

what kind of protection does this site have tho.. idk if its a scam

sorry I don't wanna hijack the thread about the 8 I just really want a new phone and can't make up my mind x_x

A 6s will be a great baseline for several more years. The extra ram really helps with that vs the 5/6. Used 6s is a great option - design is very similar to the 7/8, it has second gen touchID.

I have a Series 2 Apple Watch right now, and didn’t think I wanted a Series 3 LTE. Well I think I talked myself into it and wish I would have preorders Friday morning since they’re at 3-4 weeks shipping. I feel like I could probably sell off my Series 2 to cover a decent part of the upgrade.

NYR

this seems like a good deal

64 GB 6S Plus claimed to be mint condition $400

what kind of protection does this site have tho.. idk if its a scam

sorry I don't wanna hijack the thread about the 8 I just really want a new phone and can't make up my mind x_x
Site seems legit based on a quick google search but it's like eBay, it isn't centralized, you're dealing with individual sellers.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/is-buying-iphones-from-swappa-safe.1982102/

Looks like you need to ask the seller some straight forward questions:

- When was the phone purchased?
- Are you the original owner?
- Is this phone a replacement?
- When was the phone activated and when does the original warranty expire?
- If it was a replacement, was it replaced at Apple?

Looks like for the listing you posted, you would be the 3rd owner. Also, in the pics, the screen protector is just massively fucked up and worn out, I can't imagine someone saying they care about the device but have a screen protector like that still on the phone.

kaskade

Ended up ordering an Apple TV 4K. Forgot I had a 25 dollar gift card and I’ll just sell off the old one. I feel like I wanted to just to support Apple by actually not gouging prices for 4K content.

MercuryLS3

One thing i'm really happy about is the glass sandwich design, we get wireless charging out of it and these shouldn't be anywhere as slippery as the 6/6s/7 (exception for the Jet Black 7, but that's a scratch magnet...so, eh). I really hope that Apple wasn't bullshitting that this is really strong glass. I hated the 6/6s designs, and while I liked the look of the 7 in black and I didn't like how slippery it felt in the hand when using it one handed. The 8 finally rectifies that issue and looks a lot nicer to boot.

I'm going to get a iPhone 8 64gb Space Grey sometime soon, looking forward to it.

Wag

Eh. Shield TV is a more capable TV box (except for Dolby Vision) than the Apple TV 4k for the same price.

nbcjr

I want to preorder the iphone 8 plus, but as of now it is showing that it'll be available for pickup on the sep 22, but I'll only be able to actually pick it up on the 29th.

Do you think the apple store will hold it for a week?

NYR

I want to preorder the iphone 8 plus, but as of now it is showing that it'll be available for pickup on the sep 22, but I'll only be able to actually pick it up on the 29th.

Do you think the apple store will hold it for a week?

Depends on the product, store, manager, etc. Phone and ask. I doubt new in-demand products are held for more than a day, but normal circumstances, it could be 21 days.

nbcjr

Depends on the product, store, manager, etc. Phone and ask. I doubt new in-demand products are held for more than a day, but normal circumstances, it could be 21 days.

Thank you, I think i'll wait until the dates slips a week then.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
Eh. Shield TV is a more capable TV box (except for Dolby Vision) than the Apple TV 4k for the same price.

Actually, Shield TV is $199 and has 16 GB storage. Apple TV is $179 and has 32 GB storage.

Shield TV is a great performer, but lets face it, the lack of apps for Android TV OS is rather disappointing. Many of the apps are also outdated. Meanwhile, Apple TV has thousands of apps and are updated quite regularly. I sold my Shield TV 2015 a few weeks ago. I'm ready for Apple TV 4K to be my main 4K stream device.

Actually, Shield TV is $199 and has 16 GB storage. Apple TV is $179 and has 32 GB storage.

Shield TV is a great performer, but lets face it, the lack of apps for Android TV OS is rather disappointing. Many of the apps are also outdated. Meanwhile, Apple TV has thousands of apps and are updated quite regularly. I sold my Shield TV 2015 a few weeks ago. I'm ready for Apple TV 4K to be my main 4K stream device.

I’ve bounced back and forth between the Shield and Apple TV for like the past three years. The only thing that keeps me using a Shield is that it has support for more audio codecs and it can run Kodi without having to deal with sideloading via XCode. But I agree for most people the Apple TV will likely be the superior device especially once Amazon Video is released.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Yeah Shield TV is what you want if you're doing Kodi and want to tap into your home media server.

For plain streaming either is fine, but I want the Apple TV as it'll play nicely with my other devices and now has all the major media streaming players. (*Amazon soon)
Plus that sweet sweet iTunes HD = UHD thing.

That YouTube app though... screw that.

My 4th gen ATV has been useless for quite a while.

Yeah Shield TV is what you want if your doing Kodi and want to tap into your home media server.

For plain streaming either is fine, but I want the Apple TV as it’ll play nicely with my other devices and now has all the major media streaming players. (*Amazon soon)
Plus that sweet sweet iTunes HD = UHD thing.
One thing I really hope from the "free HD to 4K" announcement is that other digital stores will follow their lead.

It's nice that my Disney movies will get upgraded (since those work across all services), but most of my other digital movies are VUDU, so it would be great if those eventually got free 4K upgrades (or at least heavily discounted from what it currently is).

One thing I really hope from the "free HD to 4K" announcement is that other digital stores will follow their lead.

It's nice that my Disney movies will get upgraded (since those work across all services), but most of my other digital movies are VUDU, so it would be great if those eventually got free 4K upgrades (or at least heavily discounted from what it currently is).

Disney is the only holdout for the free upgrades

Snaku

Banned
Disney is the only holdout for the free upgrades

I doubt for long. When DMA launched all of their films that you previously owned on iTunes, Vudu, etc automatically upgraded to HD whether you originally bought SD or HD. I think it has more to do with a lot of their content not being available in 4K yet.

I doubt for long. When DMA launched all of their films that you previously owned on iTunes, Vudu, etc automatically upgraded to HD whether you originally bought SD or HD. I think it has more to do with a lot of their content not being available in 4K yet.

Guardians of the Galaxy is in 4K, and soon Pirates of the Caribbean 5 and Cars 3 will be as well

mrklaw

MrArseFace
One thing i'm really happy about is the glass sandwich design, we get wireless charging out of it and these shouldn't be anywhere as slippery as the 6/6s/7 (exception for the Jet Black 7, but that's a scratch magnet...so, eh). I really hope that Apple wasn't bullshitting that this is really strong glass. I hated the 6/6s designs, and while I liked the look of the 7 in black and I didn't like how slippery it felt in the hand when using it one handed. The 8 finally rectifies that issue and looks a lot nicer to boot.

I'm going to get a iPhone 8 64gb Space Grey sometime soon, looking forward to it.

I was wondering about cases. With the 8 and X being glass front and back, I wonder if it would be good to have tempered glass protectors front and rear to protect against scratches and minor dings, and maybe a bumper around the edge? Although with the slightly rounded screens, protectors never fit exactly.

Vuze

Exactly my thoughts. Not a fan of the 6-7 design (except for jet black) but 8 looks hot. I also really hope the glass is durable. I'll wait for the usual suspects to do scratch and drop tests before I decide if I buy a case but I really wanna rock it without one. Screen protectors on the 6 and up phones also look like shit due to the rounded edges

I like it but I'll still replace it with the 4K Apple TV. The upgrade cost me like 25 bucks since the Shield resell value is pretty good over here and I know I'll appreciate the ecosystem integration and especially AirPlay. All of the "AirPlay" apps that I tried on Android TV were trash and I could only ever get audio to work.

Draper

I'm the last person to shout 'doom' on a booming company like Apple, but I feel they diminished interest in the 8 by introducing the X, thus making it look dated, while also pricing the X out of the reaches of the average consumer.

I feel this may be a misstep for Apple. I guess we'll see.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Has anyone succeeded in enrolling to IUP for an iPhone 8/8 Plus via the Apple Store app? It gives me an error when you have chosen model, size and colour and get to location.

robotrock

Banned
Are 4k streams better than regular bluray? I'm really enjoying 4k streaming on Netflix/Amazon/Vudu because it looks a heck of a lot better than their 1080p option, but haven't really done a comparison.

Are 4k streams better than regular bluray? I'm really enjoying 4k streaming on Netflix/Amazon/Vudu because it looks a heck of a lot better than their 1080p option, but haven't really done a comparison.

Technically still no, the bitrate doesn’t compare. Streaming services for 4K recommend anything from 12-20 Mbps and I think blu-rays are like 50Mbps? I honestly haven’t played blu ray disc.... possibly ever?

giga

Technically still no, the bitrate doesn’t compare. Streaming services for 4K recommend anything from 12-20 Mbps and I think blu-rays are like 50Mbps? I honestly haven’t played blu ray disc.... possibly ever?
Blu rays aren't HEVC encoded though. VC-1 and h264 aren't nearly as efficient. Can you download an iTunes 4K title and check what HEVC bitrate it's at?

Theonik

Blu rays aren't HEVC encoded though. VC-1 and h264 aren't nearly as efficient. Can you download an iTunes 4K title and check what HEVC bitrate it's at?
4K BDs are HEVC encoded at a maximum for 100mbps. Normal BDs are encoded at a max of 40mbps. Now a 20mbps encode using HEVC might look competitive depending on the scene but no-one streams at that for 1080p.

Top Bottom