• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pre-order Thread - iPhone 8, 8+, Watch Series 3, AppleTV 4K

Tater

The Apple rep told me that I needed to cancel my order instead of switching it, which was fine. But it turns out that you can't pre-order a sim-free iPhone on the upgrade program. My only option is to go into the store and do it there.

Sort of bullshit, I may keep my 6 for awhile longer, it seems.

Citizens uses a custom risk score only partly based on your FICO so referring you to Equifax was just a form letter and them passing the buck. Could be as simple as an address change.

I'd call them. You'll have a much better chance at success.

Signed, former Citizens manager

Thanks. That's good to know. I just don't understand how they would decline me while I already have 2 phones with that program already. Would an address change..etc cause a decline even though I already have 2 loans with them?

Vuze

The glass back of the 8 looks ugly to me. I might need to see it in person first.
I think it looks dope from the hands on videos I've seen. But yeah, it's really hard to judge the color and glass from pictures and video.
I was torn between space gray and silver but eventually ended up with SG.

Just put in my pre-order on a 256GB 8+ through the upgrade program. I'll be honest, it wasn't until I read this thread that I knew you could do the upgrade through the app this year. That's so much more convenient! I wasn't going to do the day-one upgrade this year because I didn't want to stand in line for two hours and make an already tough day for the people working at the Apple store even longer. Doing it through the app went very smoothly.

tmdorsey

Gonna pick up an Apple TV 4K but I'm pretty sure my TV only has one 4K60 HDMI input and I'm already using it for my PS4 Pro.... Anybody have any recommendations for some kind of splitter/mux that would work?

Here's one I bought

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WV5YJ6H/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Works pretty good, one thing with the PS4 Pro though is I have to power it down completely when hooked up because in rest mode the PS4 Pro keeps activating the switch even though I'm actively using another port.

knitoe

Are you able to order the Apple Watch Series 3 without immediately having a carrier?

I orders 2 Watch LTE with 3-4 weeks shipping without having to enter any carrier info. Don't know if paying full makes any difference. Now, I have to wait for 2 256GB iPhone X.

Lnkn52

I have the Apple upgrade program and currently have a iPhone 7. Is it considered and upgrade to go to a 7+ or is it only eligible for newer phones like the 8 and X?

On the app it has different wording. On the 8 page it says upgrade. On the 7 page it says replace.

I have the Apple upgrade program and currently have a iPhone 7. Is it considered and upgrade to go to a 7+ or is it only eligible for newer phones like the 8 and X?

On the app it has different wording. On the 8 page it says upgrade. On the 7 page it says replace.

Every time a new phone comes out it replaces the old one for iUP. So the 7 series is no longer available to get on the iUP plan

Pre-ordered the Apple Watch 3 with cellular. Excited since it'll be my first Apple Watch (was waiting for a model that I could use without being tethered to my phone and now it's finally here!).

mid83

I'm on the IUP (went from 6S Plus to 7 Plus last year on the program). I really wanted the X before it was announced because of the OLED screen and lack of bezel but lack of Touch ID kind of kills my interest for now.

Trying to figure out if it is worth just upgrading to the 8 Plus because I can and then hope that Touch ID comes back next year in the X, which will mean I would keep re-upping my loan, or I could keep my 7 Plus and own it outright by next year, sell it, and jump back into the Upgrade Program if the new X has Touch ID back. I've pretty much convinced myself that this is probably the best way to go about what I want..but wondering if this makes sense to some here?

If you aren’t feeling the X or 8/8+, it’s not a bad idea to pay off the 7 and get back into the IUP next year with the X2. You’ll get a nice chunk of cash when you sell your 7 vs trading in.

The only downside I can see is Apple forcing you back into a store appointment vs being able to preorder online if you finish all 24 payments. I’d assume that’s an option since you would technically be a new IUP customer. Of course I’m not sure how they will handle that and I’m just speculating. Either way, I don’t think some pre order frustration is worth upgrading every year if you don’t want to.

Personally I’m thinking a similar thing as you, but instead I’m going to try to get an X. That said, I’ll only go for the X if I can get a reasonable ship date. Otherwise, I’ll let the IUP run out on my 7+ and reenter next year if I like one of the phones.

If you aren’t feeling the X or 8/8+, it’s not a bad idea to pay off the 7 and get back into the IUP next year with the X2. You’ll get a nice chunk of cash when you sell your 7 vs trading in.

The only downside I can see is Apple forcing you back into a store appointment vs being able to preorder online if you finish all 24 payments. I’d assume that’s an option since you would technically be a new IUP customer. Of course I’m not sure how they will handle that and I’m just speculating. Either way, I don’t think some pre order frustration is worth upgrading every year if you don’t want to.

Personally I’m thinking a similar thing as you, but instead I’m going to try to get an X. That said, I’ll only go for the X if I can get a reasonable ship date. Otherwise, I’ll let the IUP run out on my 7+ and reenter next year if I like one of the phones.

Cool, so I'm not entirely crazy. Now to get over my laziness and scared feeling of selling on EBay.

Might invest in a case for my iPhone now to save it from more nicks. =p Always thought I was going to trade this thing in so never bothered with a case/worried about case nicks.

Honestly if people say Face ID works flawlessly or is 99% as good as Touch ID, I may reconsider getting the X this go around.

Apple TV 4K: arrives Oct 6-Oct 13
Apple Watch Edition 42mm Gray Ceramic: arrives Oct 23-Oct 27

So pretty much I get my watch and then the madness of X preorders start

Pepiope

K11 is awesome, I have one on my 7 Plus
Yeah I remember back when I had my iPhone 6s wanting the k11, but I already had purchased a tech 21 bumper. I was going to go with tech 21 again, but they don't offer it for the 8+. Luckily K11 is still available, and for only $35. Nearly settled for an Apple Leather case too. Phew

marrec

Banned
Yes, but I imagine only Apple's new cases (and specially designed others) will facilitate wireless charging

This... doesn't seem likely.

With QI wireless charging there are many cases out there right now that will accommodate. Let's not pretend that this is some new weird thing, this charging standard has been out there in the wild for years and has been able to charge through lots of cases.

Clipse

I just realized that I've never actually tried on an Apple Watch before. I pre-ordered the 42mm, but I have pretty small wrists.

Will try them on this weekend and pray I don't need to switch to the 38mm since they're no longer available for launch day pickup.

Guess Who

Banned
I just realized that I've never actually tried on an Apple Watch before. I pre-ordered the 42mm, but I have pretty small wrists.

Will try them on this weekend and pray I don't need to switch to the 38mm since they're no longer available for launch day pickup.

I remember, especially back when the Watch came out, some people felt "well duh I'm gonna get the bigger one even if I have tiny wrists because it's bigger!" but tbh get the one that looks best on your wrist

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Apple TV 4K: arrives Oct 6-Oct 13
Apple Watch Edition 42mm Gray Ceramic: arrives Oct 23-Oct 27

So pretty much I get my watch and then the madness of X preorders start
Share impressions from the ATV once you have it, if you feel like it.

Sure thing! I will say that I don’t have a 4K TV and won’t until Black Friday, but I figured I’d get it because my current Apple TV has a problem with the wireless chip, where once I connect my AirPods the range is TERRIBLE and the WiFi starts crawling. So this will be an upgrade in nothing else but wireless sanity, at least in the beginning

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
IPhone X questions:

Pre order goes live October, right?

Also

I heard it "doesn't work" with t-mobile's new low frequency band - but does that simply mean it won't take advantage of that, or that it will actually fail?

Sure thing! I will say that I don’t have a 4K TV and won’t until Black Friday, but I figured I’d get it because my current Apple TV has a problem with the wireless chip, where once I connect my AirPods the range is TERRIBLE and the WiFi starts crawling. So this will be an upgrade in nothing else but wireless sanity, at least in the beginning

I had three Apple TVs before deciding that it simply wasn't going to work in my house/setup. Could barely get the tiles to load - apparently it might have been a DNS issue with Comcast internet, because sometimes forcing the google DNS server would fix it, but not always and not predictably. But the wifi strentgh would fluctuate from full bars to disconnect. Such a weird system.

Was inevitable. And the speed in which they changed their tune not surprising. Wonder what triggered such a horribly dumb PR mistake...
The speed at which they changed their tune? That’s been T-Mobile’s policy since watches started coming with cell service, this isn’t new, there was no sudden triggering of anything. They just didn’t envision that wearable data would need more than 3G speed, and were slow to update the policy for the Apple Watch.

Damn, just found out that my japanese carrier is giving away 6 months of free use for the series 3 cellular plan and after that it costs an additional 350 yen (~$3) a month within my plan (full 4G LTE coverage). Softbank may just convinced me to buy an apple watch. 😂😂😂

IPhone X questions:

Also

I heard it "doesn't work" with t-mobile's new low frequency band - but does that simply mean it won't take advantage of that, or that it will actually fail?

I had three Apple TVs before deciding that it simply wasn't going to work in my house/setup. Could barely get the tiles to load - apparently it might have been a DNS issue with Comcast internet, because sometimes forcing the google DNS server would fix it, but not always and not predictably. But the wifi strentgh would fluctuate from full bars to disconnect. Such a weird system.

Mine is definitely a recent problem, it didn’t used to have issues for me at all. Definitely a hardware issue. Well, not definitely, but I’m not gonna go through a restore when I’m buying a new box anyway 😁

Pepiope

IPhone X questions:

Also

Just doesn't take advantage of it. I think the only phone that actually can take advantage of it is the v30.

Red

Damn, just found out that my japanese carrier is giving away 6 months of free use for the series 3 cellular plan and after that it costs an additional 350 yen (~$3) a month within my plan (full 4G LTE coverage). Softbank may just convinced me to buy an apple watch. 😂😂😂
Damn $3 extra ain’t bad.

giga

Jesus. Fuck american carriers.

Oxn

$10 TO USE LTE ON A WATCH, THEY GOTTA BE OUT OF THEIR MINDS

im paying 10 to use my ipad pro.

It should be $5 tops for watches.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
I just ordered my 64GB 8+ from Argos for full retail price, £799. I can't be arsed with continuing my Vodaphone contract when it ends next February, and I'll get the chance to learn decent iPhone photo/video shooting by the time I visit Japan early next year.

I can sell my current 6S for £200 and cover the rest of the cost by selling some other stuff. I was going to get the 256GB version for £950, but I figure with the new codecs iOS 11 are using, 64GB should be alright for up to 4/5 hours of 4K 60FPS video. If I need more space, I'll just buy a external Lightning or wireless storage device.

Is there still no 8/8+ OT?

Juice

Agree. And same. But the iPad deal is insanely good as a heavy user. My bill is lower than it was ten years ago for much worse service so I'm fine with it. I'll give it a few months at least

kaskade

Well, my girlfriend decided to upgrade her iPhone to an 8. This will officially be the first time she has a new iPhone before me.

Torn on getting the 4k Apple TV at the moment. It was smart of Apple to auto update the titles in your collection to 4k because now it's more incentivising to buy the new device. Might be nice making full use of my display for once.

I have mine coming as well on Friday, so I'll be sure to share.

Though of course I don't know what I'll have to share, other than, "It seems a little bit faster.", and "Yup, that's UHD from an AppleTV!"

In any case, I'm excited to disconnect my Sony Android-based SmartTV from the Internet and solely use my AppleTV again for content playback.

Don't worry. I'm sure they'll drop the price, or make it "free" once they realize how little traffic it generates. You know. Shortly after they raise everybody's plans $15/month. But it's "Free" now.

Top Bottom