• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pre-order Thread - iPhone 8, 8+, Watch Series 3, AppleTV 4K

j-wood

I also went with a silver 8+ coming from a black 7. I'm not crazy for choosing that color over space grey am i? The 7 was my first iPhone, so I don't know how well those whites hold up but they look great in the press shots...

RDreamer

I might actually sit out this time for the first two-year cycle since getting my iPhone 3G.

The 8+ doesn't feel quite compelling enough of a swap from my 6s+ especially for that kind of money and it doesn't help that you're literally not getting the best now. At least previous small steps you still were getting the top of the line.

The X has too many annoyances or things that just make me hesitate. I don't really like the Face ID thing. I could be won on it but I don't particularly like it now. Battery life being lower than the 8+ kinda sucks, too. I've grown to like the plus form factor. I'm also just hesitant mainly about the new UI and everything without the button. The X feels like a first go at it and I don't really want to be the guinea pig.

And both of them take out headphone jacks, which while isn't a big deal to me still feels like a net negative where there aren't a ton of positives to counterbalance. I would love to upgrade my phone's camera but spending $800 for mostly that feels fucking loony at this point. Phone companies no longer subsidizing phones now really also makes this hurt.

Ron Mexico

I stayed up and was putting in all my info to purchase the 8 plus from the apple store on their loan program with citizens bank or whatever it is. I have this already with my phone and my wife's phone now. It comes back as declined, so I had to buy it all up front. I got an email this morning saying there were problems with my credit and if I have questions to contact Equifax......so fuck you Equifax.

Citizens uses a custom risk score only partly based on your FICO so referring you to Equifax was just a form letter and them passing the buck. Could be as simple as an address change.

I'd call them. You'll have a much better chance at success.

Signed, former Citizens manager

Does anyone know what Apple's definition of "water resistant" is with the iPhone 8? I assume I shouldn't drop it in a swimming pool and leave it there for half an hour. But what can it do that older iPhones couldn't?

NYR

Looks like Apple has a legitimate hit with the Celluar Apple Watch, all series 3 cell models are in the 3-4 week shipping range now.

TwIsTeD

Pulled the trigger on a 8+ 64gb for $365 after tax (thanks Verizon B2B) - went Silver instead of Gold...figured I’d regret the color decision but I won’t regret waiting a year on the X as I have 2 family trips between now and Christmas so I had a need for a better camera

DOWN

Banned
On the iPhone upgrade program, for those of you who were already enrolled with your previous phone before today, did pre-ordering the 8 through the program essentially just reserve your phone and you have to go in store to pick it up when you Trade in your current phone?

marrec

Banned
So I was thinking about it:

I go for a run nearly everyday and need my music when I do. Currently I hold my phone cause pocketing it is sucky and armbands are sucky. But the 8+ is going to be significantly bigger than my 7 so holding it will probably be sucky.

Anyway long story short I also got the LTE watch 😂

So I was thinking about it:

I go for a run nearly everyday and need my music when I do. Currently I hold my phone cause pocketing it is sucky and armbands are sucky. But the 8+ is going to be significantly bigger than my 7 so holding it will probably be sucky.

Anyway long story short I also got the LTE watch 😂

Too bad; this thing is perfect and I use it every day with my big phone:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005OVQQBM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And yeah, armbands suck.

Future

Does anyone know what Apple's definition of "water resistant" is with the iPhone 8? I assume I shouldn't drop it in a swimming pool and leave it there for half an hour. But what can it do that older iPhones couldn't?

I'm pretty sure the 7 had the same classification and I have dropped mine in a sink full of water fully submerged for a second with no consequences.

JaseMath

Sick of my crap Nexus 5X hardware and tired of feeling like a perpetual beta user, I'm going back to iOS (for awhile, at least).

Went with the black 8 (256GB).

LizardSnob

Neo Member
On the iPhone upgrade program, for those of you who were already enrolled with your previous phone before today, did pre-ordering the 8 through the program essentially just reserve your phone and you have to go in store to pick it up when you Trade in your current phone?

Nope. Yesterday, I was able to pre-apply for the citizen's one loan (payment thing) and I just had to go back to the apple store app this morning to reserve the phone I wanted to replace my 7. This year they're allowing people to ship the phone to them and return their old phone via a pre-labelled box. Super convenient.

DOWN

Banned
Nope. I was able to pre-apply for the citizen's one loan (payment thing) and I just had to go back to the apple store app to reserve the phone I wanted to replace my 7. This year they're allowing people to ship the phone to them and return their old phone via a pre-labelled box. Super convenient.
I think I’d rather pick up in store on launch day... The address they force me to ship to is always wrong because the one my AT&T plan is under is different from my residential address

That’s still an option right?

LizardSnob

Neo Member
I think I’d rather pick up in store on launch day... The address they force me to ship to is always wrong because the one my AT&T plan is under is different from my residential address

That’s still an option right?

Oh, definitely still an option. You likely wont' have to deal with any wait to go pick up. I didn't for my 7 last year.

I was able to change my shipping address from my mom's place out of state because I'm an authorized user on the ATT account.

Dang it, I just realized, the Watch Series 3 comes with WatchOS 4 preinstalled, WatchOS 4 requires iOS 11 on your phone, and the iPhone 5c I just ordered can’t install iOS 11!

I'm on the IUP (went from 6S Plus to 7 Plus last year on the program). I really wanted the X before it was announced because of the OLED screen and lack of bezel but lack of Touch ID kind of kills my interest for now.

Trying to figure out if it is worth just upgrading to the 8 Plus because I can and then hope that Touch ID comes back next year in the X, which will mean I would keep re-upping my loan, or I could keep my 7 Plus and own it outright by next year, sell it, and jump back into the Upgrade Program if the new X has Touch ID back. I've pretty much convinced myself that this is probably the best way to go about what I want..but wondering if this makes sense to some here?

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I would upgrade my Jet black 7 to a Space Gray 8 Plus, but I cracked my damn screen so I can't do the ATT Next trade in. I would have to pay $400 towards the remaining balance. Which I have the $ for, but that's just ridiculous and a waste. Guess I'll just wait until next year. Hopefully the iPhone X2 has Touch ID back.

Jeff6851

Used my Verizon upgrade to get the 64GB 8. Surprised it wasn't sold out.

Does anyone know which Spigen cases work with wireless charging?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
keep getting issues with my phone number and pin with sprint. then i missed the 22nd ship date :(

fuck this ill just buy it in store.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Dang it, I just realized, the Watch Series 3 comes with WatchOS 4 preinstalled, WatchOS 4 requires iOS 11 on your phone, and the iPhone 5c I just ordered can’t install iOS 11!

Series 3 requires a 5S or newer, a 6 or newer if you get the cellular equipped watch. It's right there on their website

Why the 5c?
Because I’m switching to Sprint to take advantage of their “free unlimited everything for a year”, but that has to be done by the end of September, but the iPhone X isn’t shipping until November. My current iPhone won’t work on Sprint, so I need a cheap phone to switch to Sprint until I can get my iPhone X.

Series 3 requires a 5S or newer, a 6 or newer if you get the cellular equipped watch. It's right there on their website
Why would I read their website about the watch? I already know I want it, I saw the presentation about it and read a few articles about it, and already knew most of the details from all the rumors beforehand anyways.

Wait a minute, if you're on T-Mobile you have to go to an Apple Store to purchase the 8 or X using the apple upgrade program? How are people preordering this thing with apple upgrade program on T-Mobile?

Because I’m switching to Sprint to take advantage of their “free unlimited everything for a year”, but that has to be done by the end of September, but the iPhone X isn’t shipping until November. My current iPhone won’t work on Sprint, so I need a cheap phone to switch to Sprint until I can get my iPhone X.

Why would I read their website about the watch? I already know I want it, I saw the presentation about it and read a few articles about it, and already knew most of the details from all the rumors beforehand anyways.

Because you're buying a 4yr old phone? Why would you assume compatibility for something that needs to be connected to a phone that is beyond ancient in tech terms?

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I sold my iPhone 7 for £320 and ordered the iPhone 8 space grey this morning along with a 28w charger and usb-c to lighting cable for fast charging support. Leave the beta testing of the iPhone X to other folks because l don't think the notch design works it's terrible in fact. Hopefully iPhone 11 improves the design.

I also went with a silver 8+ coming from a black 7. I'm not crazy for choosing that color over space grey am i? The 7 was my first iPhone, so I don't know how well those whites hold up but they look great in the press shots...

Not at all. I'm upgrading my white launch 5S to a white 8, and recently bought a white iPad Pro. They all look great, and you don't have to wipe them down every five minutes.

Pavaloo

So I was pretty dead set on getting an Apple Watch prior to their event, but opted to wait for new hardware. That said the new hardware looks awesome, but I have a few questions if anyone could speak to them:

1 - How good is the heart rate monitor + program at tracking weight lifting?
I'm pretty confident it will be absolutely fine tracking running, but I enjoyed how my Fitbit Blaze had a 'Weights' fitness component.

2 - Is it worth buying the cellular version if my carrier doesn't support it?
It's only a $100 difference between the base and the cell version in Canada, but my carrier doesn't support the device. Is this like a cell phone where I shouldn't buy the cell version now because when one comes out working with Rogers/Fido/etc. it will receive a signal on a different network or 'band' ?

3 - Does the Nike branded Apple Watch have a completely different watch face or something? Can it be reverted back?
Looks like it comes with a sports band as the base model which would save me an extra $80 on one of the sport loops.

StillEdge

Wait a minute, if you're on T-Mobile you have to go to an Apple Store to purchase the 8 or X using the apple upgrade program? How are people preordering this thing with apple upgrade program on T-Mobile?
I had the option to ship it to my place with the apple program. I decided last minute I don't care for the X at all so preordered the 8 last night using my Apple upgrade I think you can only do it if you pre-approved your loan and already a member.

Also does anyone know if I can freeze my credit now or still wait til I pick my phone up.

Tron 2.0

Citizens uses a custom risk score only partly based on your FICO so referring you to Equifax was just a form letter and them passing the buck. Could be as simple as an address change.

I'd call them. You'll have a much better chance at success.

Signed, former Citizens manager
I have security freezes on my credit reports from the main 3 bureaus. Is Equifax the only one I would need to lift before applying for the IUP?

I tried calling Citizens to find out but they were no help at all.

Tater

Sooooo, I ended up pre-ordering the 8, and then realizing I fucked up. I'm on AT&T currently, and said so during the pre-order process. Then I remembered the bullshit with the 7 last year, and how there are different modems, and how screwed I am if I ever want to take my phone to Verizon.

So now I'm on hold with Apple hoping to change my phone to the generic / CDMA capable version. I wish Apple would just make one version of these things.

Appleman

Gonna pick up an Apple TV 4K but I'm pretty sure my TV only has one 4K60 HDMI input and I'm already using it for my PS4 Pro.... Anybody have any recommendations for some kind of splitter/mux that would work?

Do they take your money immediately if you pre-order or are they gonna take it when it ships?

I wanna preorder the cellular Watch but I don't want them to take my money and sit there unused for a month while waiting for it lol.

Top Bottom