• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pre-order Thread - iPhone 8, 8+, Watch Series 3, AppleTV 4K

CydonianKnight

Neo Member
Did you log in with your account, went to "My wireless", then "Upgrade a device", then did you select your current cell phone? At that point it should have prompted you to pay off the remainder you owed to pay off your phone for the Next program.

Yup, went through those steps. Then it prompted me to make an installment payment in order to proceed with the upgrade. And then when I got to the check out it said due today would be the full amount. I checked to see if there were any options to change that and saw none. It was only giving me the option to pay in full.

*Edit*

I think I see what happened and I probably jumped the gun on this. The payment hadn't processed yet(I got that notification later this morning) and now that it has, it's allowing me to actually select NEXT as a payment option. Before around 3:15 am it would only give me the option to pay in full and it was probably because it didn't recognize it as being upgrade eligible yet. Probably should've done this ahead of time so it would've been a smoother process. Thanks for clarifying!

I'm planning to enroll but is it available to do so and pre-order if I go in the morning or do I have to wait until the official release next Friday to enroll?
Nope, in store only. What I did last year was pre order through a pick up then returned the phone when I picked it up and did the enrollment right then. Just need a credit card that can hold the full amount purchase.

I'm gonna hold on to my 7 till next year and see what the X2has to offer. In doing so I'll pay the phone off completely, hope I won't be kicked of the iUp plan as a result of paying off completely. I probably will since the phone will be mine technically.

LizardSnob

Neo Member
As I expected, preorder wasn't bad. I'm on east coast so it'd be 3am my time, but since I'm jetlagged from my trip to Europe, I've been waking up early anyways.

As much as I want the X, I can't justify nearly doubling my monthly payments or going down in storage on the apple upgrade program. I'm playing it safe, getting a fresh phone with twice the storage and waiting another year.

marrec

Banned
The bigger size is great and you'll get used to it faster than you think. I could never go back to the smaller size now.
I was a Samsung Note guy for years before switching to the iPhone with the 7 and this thing feels so tiny. Can't wait to go up a size again.

fuzzyset

I was up at 2am and tried to enroll in the upgrade plan w/o a SIM. I thought you could get a SIM-free phone with the upgrade program, but it wouldn't let me last night. I'm switching from TMobile to ATT in the coming days, so I wasn't even able to get the TMo one cause that's in-store only. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to wait...

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I was up at 2am and tried to enroll in the upgrade plan w/o a SIM. I thought you could get a SIM-free phone with the upgrade program, but it wouldn't let me last night. I'm switching from TMobile to ATT in the coming days, so I wasn't even able to get the TMo one cause that's in-store only. Oh well. I guess I'll just have to wait...

T-mobile is not in store only. I did it through the app last night.

Edit:
Wait is this your first iup enroll? Maybe thats in store only.

I actually think I will pre-order the 8+ today. Does anyone know how AT&T is or had good experiences with them? Looking at the big 4 providers they seem to have the cheapest single monthly plan I can find with 3gb data for $40 a month (I use half that in the usual month so that's more then enough) sprint isn't too bad with with $55 unlimited but I have no real use for unlimited data. Verizon and T-mobile monthly plans for single lines seem to be far more pricy unfortunately so the former 2 are more appealing.

The Nike+ on Verizon is Out of Stock.

I guess I'll wait for it to come back into stock since I want that lightweight band for running.

Woke up this morning and ordered an 8+ for in store pickup a town over so I could pay 4% less in taxes(yay for Cook County and IL). Supposed to be in and ready on the 22nd. Excited!

Btw, do I want an aluminum or stainless steel watch? I'll be using it for everything I do, including working out, swimming, etc.

Also, I can buy one with any band, and switch out bands later, right?

LASTLY, do I need my phone with me to use cellular data?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Woke up this morning and ordered an 8+ for in store pickup a town over so I could pay 4% less in taxes(yay for Cook County and IL). Supposed to be in and ready on the 22nd. Excited!

Btw, do I want an aluminum or stainless steel watch? I'll be using it for everything I do, including working out, swimming, etc.

If you’re going to scuff it, get an aluminium one. But the SS is really pretty if you’ll look after it. Only LTE though

Yes you can switch bands anytime - lots of good third party options too.

Don’t need the phone with you for LTE. Also, if you’re in an area with wifi that you’ve been in before (so your phone knows the wifi password), then the watch can work over that wifi network without the phone too. I've been without my phone all day at work and it was still receiving messages etc just fine - and this is a series 0 Watch.

If you’re going to scuff it, get an aluminium one. But the SS is really pretty if you’ll look after it. Only LTE though

Yes you can switch bands anytime - lots of good third party options too.

Don’t need the phone with you for LTE. Also, if you’re in an area with wifi that you’ve been in before (so your phone knows the wifi password), then the watch can work over that wifi network without the phone too. I've been without my phone all day at work and it was still receiving messages etc just fine - and this is a series 0 Watch.

Thanks! Also, is there anything special about the Nike one, or is it mainly geared towards runners? Can I download a Nike app on a non Nike watch, or if I go the Nike, can I do everything a normal watch can(including change the faces)?

j-wood

Got my pre order in at Verizon for the 8+ coming from the 7. Like the poster above me stated, it's mainly because I regretted not getting the 7+.

I think I'll fully pay this off at some point before the next iPhone though, and switch over the iPhone upgrade program since it includes applecare.

That said, the Verizon device payment plan isn't terrible and is basically the same thing, I just have to buy apple care separately.

Hey guys, I'm not currently on a contract at the moment and I see a lot of carrier deals floating around. Are those deals only accessible by buying from the carriers directly or can I get them while buying the phone through Apple?

I stayed up and was putting in all my info to purchase the 8 plus from the apple store on their loan program with citizens bank or whatever it is. I have this already with my phone and my wife's phone now. It comes back as declined, so I had to buy it all up front. I got an email this morning saying there were problems with my credit and if I have questions to contact Equifax......so fuck you Equifax.

J-Skee

I stayed up and was putting in all my info to purchase the 8 plus from the apple store on their loan program with citizens bank or whatever it is. I have this already with my phone and my wife's phone now. It comes back as declined, so I had to buy it all up front. I got an email this morning saying there were problems with my credit and if I have questions to contact Equifax......so fuck you Equifax.

I would think that Apple would know the situation with Equifax, look at your previous info & let you in. That sucks.

j-wood

If you get into the iphone upgrade program, do you have to do the loan credit check every year you use it? One of the main reasons I didn't go with it this year is I'm in the process of selling/buying a house, so I didn't want that credit ding at this point in time.

Tater

Bah, told myself I was going to preorder the 8 today, having second thoughts. I'm coming from a 6 (which I love, perfect size for me, just starting to feel slow).

The X looks great, but I'm concerned about crazy lines and supply issues, as well as issues with the lack of a home button and Face ID. My current thought is to get an 8 on the Apple Upgrade plan, and jump to the new hotness next year.

I think what's giving me pause is how much more expensive it is - I bought my 6 when carriers still subsidized things. Now the rates are the same price, but they don't cover the phone. That's how everyone seems to do it these days, but still stings a bit to have that extra outlay.

Struct09

I'm unexpectedly skipping a phone upgrade this year even though I'm on the iPhone Upgrade Program. The 8 doesn't bring any meaningful changes for me and the X isn't worth the price to me. My 7 has been the most solid phone I've ever had so I'm sticking with it for another year.

zgekouwg01mz.png

_h8bit

Banned
Was done in under 3 minutes. Sooooo much better than last year. Snagged a 64GB Space Gray 8+ arriving next week.

At first I was bummed there wasn't a 128 option until I looked at how much space I've actually used on my 7 lol.

Chucker

I keep going back and forth on my 8 preorder. I really like the size of the 6S I have, and can't stand my wife's 6S+ mainly because I keep my phone in my pocket.

At the same time, that camera tho.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Does Series 3 require an extra surcharge on your cell bill?

Verizon and AT&T are charging their normal monthly line access fees per device for the watch.

If you pre order through Verizon they will waive the first 3mos access fees and the activation fee

Dart

So just wondering, does Verizon have any upgrade plans for iPhones? I mean i need to upgrade from my 6s asap but I also want the iPhone x but can't wait till November .

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I keep going back and forth on my 8 preorder. I really like the size of the 6S I have, and can't stand my wife's 6S+ mainly because I keep my phone in my pocket.

At the same time, that camera tho.

same. Apple are literally forcing me to buy an X.

I had an 8 preordered but then thought about the camera being limited yet again. And then thought how I don't want a plus - too heavy and bulky for me personally.

I expect the camera difference with the two lenses isn't that big a deal, but oh well.

Oxn

So just wondering, does Verizon have any upgrade plans for iPhones? I mean i need to upgrade from my 6s asap but I also want the iPhone x but can't wait till November .

Lol at your thinking you'll get an X in November.

Chucker

same. Apple are literally forcing me to buy an X.

I had an 8 preordered but then thought about the camera being limited yet again. And then thought how I don't want a plus - too heavy and bulky for me personally.

I expect the camera difference with the two lenses isn't that big a deal, but oh well.

I'm just gonna go with the 8. Better battery, better guts, if we want better pictures my wife will eventually go with next year's model and she's with the kids more than I am, soooooooo.

eBay says they can guarantee $360 for my phone and damn it, that's good enough for me.

oatmeal

Banned
Interested in watch.

The ATV will be mine. Do we know if the TV is the same size as the 4 was? I have mine tucked behind tv in a mount and would love to be able to just pop it out and put the new one in.

Hattori

Banned
ordered an SG Series 3 LTE, I wanted a Stainless Steel but they went really quick even at Best Buy. Impulse splurge averted I guess 😅

My primary phone is also my work phone so I'm forced to wait for my upgrade in November. 😩 Really wanting that iPhone 8+...

At least it's not terribly far away though.

This preorder went really smoothly...because the phone that will sell out in an instant won't go up for preorder until next month. That's gonna be the hard one to get. For me, last night I preordered a GPS Watch 3 and an iPhone 5c. I never not have my phone with me when I'm out of the house, except when I'm swimming, at which point I don't want connectivity.

Does Series 3 require an extra surcharge on your cell bill?

$10 a month after the first three months

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If you get into the iphone upgrade program, do you have to do the loan credit check every year you use it? One of the main reasons I didn't go with it this year is I'm in the process of selling/buying a house, so I didn't want that credit ding at this point in time.
I only have one hard pull from them. Others have said otherwise though. You get a credit check but last year I must have only had a soft pull because I don't have anything on my credit report.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I've ordered the new watch with LTE. Even though I can't use the LTE on my provider in Canada... Hopefully they join the Bell/Telus party soon. Couldn't say no to even more speed, as series 2 lacks just a little in the smoothness department to be perfect. I so wish I could dig out that red dot and replace it with the black one from my S2 model though.

It's pretty crazy that the watch seems to be the most constrained product of the lot they launched last night. Thankfully I ordered it just as the store went up, as it's already 3-4 weeks wait now.

I have a series 2 Apple Watch and see zero reason to update this year as I would barely use the LTE of an Apple Watch. It’s faster sure, but the series 2 is fast enough and was a huge jump from series 1 in speed.

I hear this Equifax is a reputable company.

Top Bottom