• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pre-order Thread - iPhone 8, 8+, Watch Series 3, AppleTV 4K

holygeesus

Banned
The system setting can be set to 4K Dolby Vision, if your TV supports it. Then I guess everything is mapped to Dolby Vision?

I'm still not clear on how this works exactly. Like, say you set it to Dolby Vision at a system level. What happens when you watch HDR10 content? Does it play HDR10 in a Dolby Vision wrapper, or does it just play the SDR version? Do you just not get HDR10 content in that case? And vice versa if you have it set for HDR10 and watch a Dolby Vision program.

The more I think about it the more of a mess it seems, and the obvious solution is just having the source dictate the output.

Saying that, have people compared the playback of SDR material with HDR enabled and disabled? - maybe they look identical anyway even in HDR mode.

ZOONAMI

Got my 8 plus at T-Mobile today, absolutely no hype about it there whatsoever. It was only me and one other guy in the store, not even picking up an iPhone.

JavonMcCloud

Neo Member
Hm I’m on the program from last year but this will be my first time upgrading while already in the program. How would one do the credit check ahead of pre-order?

Nice, that’s what I’m aiming to do with the X. Did you do it in the app? Easy to just select your nearest store instead of shipping?

Yup, did it right in the app. Basically when you go there they terminate the loan you have out on whatever phone you have and start up a new one on the new phone. Just needed to bring in the phone, no box/accessories or anything.

Quonny

Not surprised at the lack of hype. The people who get hyped for new Apple products to the point of waiting in line for hours on end are X buyers.

Still waiting here with my 5...UPS pls.

I still can't believe how it was so ridiculously fast this year in the store with being able to do the credit check in advance and iOS 11 having a mindbogglingly good phone switching process.

Sean

Banned
Anyone know how to "upgrade" an Apple Watch?

I have a launch Series 0 and purchased a new Series 3 earlier today, I wanna transition all my stuff over to the new one and wipe the old one so I could hand it down to my mother. But not sure of the exact steps to take.

Vuze

Anyone know how to "upgrade" an Apple Watch?

I have a launch Series 0 and purchased a new Series 3 earlier today, I wanna transition all my stuff over to the new one and wipe the old one so I could hand it down to my mother. But not sure of the exact steps to take.
Watch app > your watch > unpair. You can then pair your new watch and restore from the back up (which is also saved to your iCloud and iTunes backup btw)

VeeP

Went to pick up a iPhone 8 Plus for my friend, it was reserved etc. I got to the store and there was a small line and cops. I asked them if it was usually busier at launches or what, they said today it's actually pretty calm, usually it's much worse. I guess there's quite a lot of people holding out for the X then.

Vuze

Okay so
a) my 10€ qi pad is trash (probable)
b) the current Qi charging on the 8 is just slow as molasses (I heard it is)
c) the iPhone 8 Plus battery is so much bigger than my 5S that my perception is skewed

It went up by 5% in the last 30mins I think. Probably all of the above.

CydonianKnight

Neo Member
Got a delivery confirmation while at work so my phone is waiting for me at home. In the meantime my watch series 1 has been updated to watchOS4. I really need to read a good breakdown of the new watchOS features so I can toy around with it a bit.

ZOONAMI

Okay so
c) the iPhone 8 Plus battery is so much bigger than my 5S that my perception is skewed

Qi without 2.0 or 3.0 version quick charging is super slow. It works over night for me on my nightstand which is all I really need though. The 8 plus gets through a day no problem for me.

Here's an iPhone 8+ on a 3x3 wifi AP and on a gigabit FiOS connection:

ZwqkIwC.jpg

Wifi is pretty quick.

ZOONAMI

My general impressions is that the 8 plus is super nice, very premium feel. Like the glass over the aluminum 7 plus. The black is super sexy. Extremely fast. 64gb is also awesome with jump on demand as the 32gb I ran out of space in short order. Also I do believe the 7+ fp scanner I had was defective. This one works much better, although I am still getting occasional try agains which I didn’t have on the LG G6. I also don’t like that it will unlock and you have to press home again to go to home screen, it should just automatically go back to what you were doing. My G6 was getting all laggy keyboardy which is why I decided to just make the jump. I just don’t think Qualcomm’s Socs are up to the task.

DOWN

Banned
Okay so

Qi without 2.0 or 3.0 version quick charging is super slow. It works over night for me on my nightstand which is all I really need though. The 8 plus gets through a day no problem for me.
Keep in mind that Qi fast charging doesn’t come to iPhone until a later update during this season. So at this moment, iphone doesn’t support fast wireless charging, only fast USB C.

Vuze

Yeah, that’s what I’ll be using the pad for as well. I’ll test how much it charges when I’m asleep, otherwise I’ll probably have to look for another pad (I don’t think this one supports fast charging since it isn’t advertised) and wait for Apple to patch in fast wireless charging.

DOWN

Banned
My general impressions is that the 8 plus is super nice, very premium feel. Like the glass over the aluminum 7 plus. The black is super sexy. Extremely fast. 64gb is also awesome with jump on demand as the 32gb I ran out of space in short order. Also I do believe the 7+ fp scanner I had was defective. This one works much better, although I am still getting occasional try agains which I didn’t have on the LG G6. I also don’t like that it will unlock and you have to press home again to go to home screen, it should just automatically go back to what you were doing. My G6 was getting all laggy keyboardy which is why I decided to just make the jump. I just don’t think Qualcomm’s Socs are up to the task.
There’s a setting to make it so you don’t have to click the home button to get past the lock screen. That way you can just have your finger on the scanner and lift to wake and it will totally unlock rather than sit on the lock screen waiting for you to click

ZOONAMI

There’s a setting to make it so you don’t have to click the home button to get past the lock screen. That way you can just have your finger on the scanner and lift to wake and it will totally unlock rather than sit on the lock screen waiting for you to click

Where is the setting? I don’t see it under display or Touch ID settings

Quonny

Got my white 8+ and my wife got her gold 8.

Wow. From a 5 to this, wow.

Also, the gold looks REALLY nice. Like, insanely nice. Even if it has a bit of pink I kinda wish I got it. It's stunning.

DOWN

Banned
Got my white 8+ and my wife got her gold 8.

Wow. From a 5 to this, wow.

Also, the gold looks REALLY nice. Like, insanely nice. Even if it has a bit of pink I kinda wish I got it. It's stunning.
Would you say the back of the 8+ is white or silver? Still seems quite closer to white in pics and videos

Quonny

This thing is so fast.

Fate/Grand Order load time: 68 seconds (5) to 7 seconds (8+).
Reddit: 3 seconds (5) to less than 1 (8+).
Slickdeals: 5 seconds (5) to 2 (8+).

I feel spoiled.

DOWN

Banned
It’s white, but the glass gives it a sheen so it’s a shiny white. I can see why some would say it’s a very pale silver.
So it’s as the pictures suggest then. The part under the glass on the silver and grey models are actually black and white, with only the rim matching the named color.I’ll be going with the black X then. Thanks

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
This thing is so fast.

Fate/Grand Order load time: 68 seconds (5) to 7 seconds (8+).
Reddit: 3 seconds (5) to less than 1 (8+).
Slickdeals: 5 seconds (5) to 2 (8+).

I feel spoiled.

you were on a 5?? hahahahaha oh man it has to be like entering into the modern world for you. congrats!

tommyguns

Current have an SE.

First reaction was I want the X. But now, part of me wants an 8+.

Let everyone else test out face ID and all and then maybe get the X 2 next year.

Quonny

you were on a 5?? hahahahaha oh man it has to be like entering into the modern world for you. congrats!
Thanks, but I need to thank my wife.

Screen recording is so cool (dunno if it’s new with iOS 11, couldn’t get it on my 5), 3D Touch to dive into the control panel is awesome, man. I am loving this so much.

dc89

Posted this in the iPhone X OT but I'll post it here too.

For UK GAF

Vodafone have put up some pricing for iPhone X tariffs.

Red Extra plan – 16GB + 10GB extra data for £68 a month with £150 upfront
Red Extra plan – 40GB + 10GB extra data for £74 a month with £100 upfront
Red Entertainment plan – 32GB + 10GB extra data for £74 a month with £150 upfront
Red Entertainment plan – 60GB + 10GB extra data for £80 a month with £50 upfront

And remember O2's indicative pricing?

Animator

Went to apple store and as soon as I saw the 8 I was like "yup I am waiting for X".

Gonna pick up a series 3 with cellular and wait for the X.

Ordered an 8 Plus today. I’ve had my 6 for nearly 3 years once January comes around, and I’d probably continue to use it but the battery is draining pretty quick. Hope to have it at some point next week. I’m pretty excited about wireless charging.

MercuryLS3

Played around with the 8+, that thing is gigantic and heavy.

Space grey looks nice but I would have preferred a straight black colour.

Silver is nice but gold is stunning.

Top Bottom