• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pre-order Thread - iPhone 8, 8+, Watch Series 3, AppleTV 4K

crpav

So torn on what I want to upgrade to. Have the 6+ currently and like it and the size. Part of me wants the X because newest and all that but not a fan of some things(top screen thing and possible issues being first offering and new) and can save a little money.

Flo_Evans

I thought the “hold the phones next to each other” transfer would be quicker. Nope sitting here for almost an hour. :(

Edit: shiiiiieet it was hung up trying to activate sim! Wasn’t even transferring shit! Ahhhhhh!!!

Edit2: damn it took 5 minutes after I started over. But apparently didn’t transfer anything. Downloading from cloud :(

Tater

I'm still pissed - I can't get an iPhone 8. I'm on AT&T, and want to keep my options open for switching to Verizon at a later date. That means that I can't get the AT&T version of the phone, since that doesn't do CDMA.

You can't get the sim-free version of the phone AND join the Apple Upgrade program online, so I was told to try to get one from a store.. which are sold out.

In the past, I've just pre-ordered and picked up my phone on launch day, no problem. I know I'm a bit of an edge case, but Apple really dropped the ball here IMO.

I'm still pissed - I can't get an iPhone 8. I'm on AT&T, and want to keep my options open for switching to Verizon at a later date. That means that I can't get the AT&T version of the phone, since that doesn't do CDMA.

You can't get the sim-free version of the phone AND join the Apple Upgrade program online, so I was told to try to get one from a store.. which are sold out.

In the past, I've just pre-ordered and picked up my phone on launch day, no problem. I know I'm a bit of an edge case, but Apple really dropped the ball here IMO.
You sure? I'm pretty sure I was given the option to on a sim free version on the app.

LowSignal

Got my series 3 LTE watch, love it so far. Looks like the band is a lighter black more so a grey than what came with my series 1 watch.

killroy87

Turns out Skype thing is a known issue, so that's good.

I'm having another issue though. When I plug the Iphone 8 in to charge (USB into computer port), the battery indicator on the phone doesn't go up. I can leave it for a half hour, and it looks like it hasn't charged at all, but when i restart the phone the battery has jumped up a good amount. Some regular use shows that it seems to be decreasing normally and showing correctly, but it's not showing the increase. Anyone ever encounter this?

Just got it. Posting from my 8plus now.

Not liking the true tone.

Otherwise it's like my 6splus. A bit faster and the speakers are waaaaaay better.

I thought I wouldn't like the home button 3d touch but it's good. I like it.

Jetku

I’m impacted by the LTE Watch bug. No signal even though I’m not near any rogue WiFi.

I’m just going to return it and get the GPS version. I was on the fence for LTE anyway and as a first time Apple Watch owner I now know after a day of use that LTE isn’t a must for me.

I got my 6s last year on September 8. It says if you got a 6s on or before 9/8/16 through Verizon you'd be eligible for the yearly iPhone upgrade. They're telling me I'm not eligible.

MercuryLS3

Holy shit, i just noticed that the space grey iPhone 8 and the space grey Apple Watch that I already own are a perfect match. Fucking finally, it always drove me nuts that there were a million shades of space grey and none of them matched with each other. Unfortunately my space grey MacBook 12" is a much lighter shade :/

ASTROID2

First thing I noticed with my Apple Watch series 3 is they went back to using the composite back for some of them instead of the ceramic back like on my series 2.

MercuryLS3

Oh god the new gold color is even better in person.

It's the nicest colour in person, truly the best gold phone they've made.

Also the transfer from my SE to the 8 was brilliant on iOS11. So much easier to do that before, just a beautifully thought out and friction free transfer. It's things like this that I stick with Apple for.

.hacked

ugh thanks Sony for only putting HDR on 2 inputs. Trying a switch off amazon see if I can get the Xbox One S and PS4 Pro to share one input :/

There's a surprising amount of apps that don't work on ios11 which is pretty disappointing.

Dev's that haven't put the work in for iOS 11 have abandoned their apps. Move on and find a new app that does the same thing and probably better than the previous one.

Any 4k 60 videos from the 8/8+? Looking to see that low light 4k video

TwIsTeD

Slight regret not getting the Gold - super nice in person and basically looks creme - my Silver phone should have just been called White lol

Dev's that haven't put the work in for iOS 11 have abandoned their apps. Move on and find a new app that does the same thing and probably better than the previous one.

Any 4k 60 videos from the 8/8+? Looking to see that low light 4k video
Cool story? Let me find a new better app of specific licensed games. How could I have been so foolish...

Meatfist

Loving my black 8+ so far!

The “hold next to an iOS11 device” activation was super nifty, I just had to put it next to my iPad, select the most recent backup of my phone and off it went!

Pein

Banned
The 8 plus is so fucking smooth, I thought it couldn’t be that much better than My 6s plus but it is.

Also bless Apple and their back up process, so painless to change to a new phone.

DOWN

Banned
Loving my black 8+ so far!

The “hold next to an iOS11 device” activation was super nifty, I just had to put it next to my iPad, select the most recent backup of my phone and off it went!
Whoah that’s cool. Didn’t know about that

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Got my series 3 watch. Thing is super fast, noticeably faster than S2. However, mine has yellowish screen compared to the S2 I have (I can't stand that) and the crown doesn't rotate as smoothly as I'd like. Guess I'm sending it back, and waiting 3-4 weeks for the new one. Sigh.

Oh yeah, red crown looks about as awkward as I expected. Now that I've seen it IRL, I still much prefer the black one on the S2 steel model. The speed of the new model cannot be understated though.

Now comes the eternal struggle where I use my fresh device without a case and want to be team naked. Sigh. Feels so good without a case.

Now comes the eternal struggle where I use my fresh device without a case and want to be team naked. Sigh. Feels so good without a case.

I’m going caseless on this model and any future models with a glass back. Feels sooooooo good, and the glass gives it way more grip than the aluminum did

bionic77

I am switching to Verizon tomorrow and likely getting a 8+.

I know contracts are dead so what is the best way to buy a phone now? Just pay up front and trade in your old phone?

MercuryLS3

I’m going caseless on this model and any future models with a glass back. Feels sooooooo good, and the glass gives it way more grip than the aluminum did

Yep. I'm caseless with all my iPhones and this is the first large iPhone that you can rock without a case and not be scared to drop it constantly.

Ryhian

Keep in mind that Qi fast charging doesn’t come to iPhone until a later update during this season. So at this moment, iphone doesn’t support fast wireless charging, only fast USB C.

Can you point me to info about the fast wireless update? I hadn’t heard the iPhones would accept anything more than the 7.5w wirelessly.

DOWN

Banned
Can you point me to info about the fast wireless update? I hadn’t heard the iPhones would accept anything more than the 7.5w wirelessly.
To be clear, it doesn’t support the new Qi 3.0 (though it may be smart to get a charger that does so you can hang onto it next year), but it is faster than the original Qi 5W. Currently iPhone 8 & X ship at the 5W old speed that IKEA pads use for example, but they are getting an update to enable them to do 7.5W (faster than the standard charger Apple includes). http://bgr.com/2017/09/19/iphone-8-vs-iphone-x-fast-wireless-charging/

From a full charge how many hours do you get on wifi with your new 8 or old 7 or 6s phone?

Hours of gaf scrolling, twitter, news reading (no games or heavy apps). Such that the biggest user in battery status panel is safari. Standby time not so important. Maybe 12 to 24.

I get 4ish hours.

Have a sneaking suspicion this is not unusual. It's really poor IMO. I want to know if the 7 or 8 phones are in real world doing much better.

Top Bottom