• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pre-order Thread - iPhone 8, 8+, Watch Series 3, AppleTV 4K

Been toying with the 8+. It’s an iPhone.

I think this will be my last one until Apple does something exciting hardware wise again. Just going to pay it off quickly and get off the IUP.

Software is still great though and their software support is fantastic. Should last me for years.

I got my 8 and its nice. Its the same phone as+ my 6s+ and my 7. Which is a good thing as the design just works for me. I like the bigger screen size, even though the phone is harder to hold for my small hands, the screen size is perfect.

The experience on iOS is perfect and thats really why I buy these phones in the long run anyway.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If I have Apple Music and stream my playlist for my workouts, I can't select my playlist from Apple Watch?

Not unless it’s synced to the watch. I think in an upcoming update they’re goign to have it 'smartly' sync music from Apple Music to your watch and then you’ll be able to choose from those tracks.

Seems messed up to me.

Vuze

Wtf are apps backing up to iCloud? Like Netflix 400mbs, topps trading card apps 1.5 gb. What can they possibly be storing?
Probably downloaded and cached data. Google Translate backs up 300mb in my case, it possibly can only be the offline stuff. Netflix might store thumbnails, posters and banners. I don't know why but eh.

Red

I ended up getting a Series 2. This video does not represent my experience at all. It's showing loading times of 3-4 seconds for the most basic apps. For me, they load up instantly. I kinda have a hard time believing that's actually a Series 2 in this video.
Even on my Series 0, my most used apps load instantly. Performance has improved with every update. It’s kind of the opposite experience of an iPhone.

iMessage can be slow and janky though. It’s always been that way.

Probably downloaded and cached data. Google Translate backs up 300mb in my case, it possibly can only be the offline stuff. Netflix might store thumbnails, posters and banners. I don't know why but eh.
But to iCloud? That totally makes sense on the local storage but they were taking up so much iCloud space that I can’t even backup my devices which was confusing what they would send or why you would back that up.

ZOONAMI

Does it make any sense to use chrome on iOS? I just like it better I guess. It’s funny, my iPhone has pretty much all the native iOS apps removed and replaced with google and ms replacements.

I need help. I'm probably stupid.

UK here. Want to get a cellular deal on one network (EE) for the watch but then change my phone from EE to Tesco as they're doing me a better deal.

Will this mean I can't use them together or something as they're on different networks or will it be fine? Really confused but I just need to know. Good lads at Tesco doing me a great 8 Plus deal shocked me into going with them this week.

ALSO, what's the deal with the sizes on the watch? I don't get it. Measured my wrist and it was 190mm so are the two different sizes screen sizes? I feel so dumb 😂

dock

UK here. Want to get a cellular deal on one network (EE) for the watch but then change my phone from EE to Tesco as they're doing me a better deal.

<snip>
ALSO, what's the deal with the sizes on the watch? I don't get it. Measured my wrist and it was 190mm so are the two different sizes screen sizes? I feel so dumb &#128514;
You can’t do that. You have to switch your phone to EE to use cellular on iPhone in UK. I decided to get the non-cellular version.

38mm and 42mm are the two available screen heights. I’m 6’3” and fairly big but I still opted for the 38mm Watch because I find it less bulky.

JaseMath

Do you guys recommend a glass screen protector? I have one on my 8, but kinda hate the look of it and am curious to know if it's even worth it with Apple's special glass process.

EDIT: I'm using a case, and will always use a case. I'm specifically curious about the screen.

You can’t do that. You have to switch your phone to EE to use cellular on iPhone in UK. I decided to get the non-cellular version.

38mm and 42mm are the two available screen heights. I’m 6’3” and fairly big but I still opted for the 38mm Watch because I find it less bulky.

So if my phone isn't on EE but the watch is I can't use cellular? Bullshit.

dock

Lr7CN0y.jpg

Quick photo of my new purchase. Was pleased to have so many good options for cheap third party straps. I opted for the cheapest Apple Watch, as I prefer the 38mm and don't want to pay extra £60+ per year for watch cellular.

ZOONAMI

Find the photo in Imgur, press and hold, and then select Copy Link. It still works just fine.

Yeah I don’t use imgur though but flickr and it’s More of a pain in in the ass. I don’t need yet another photo backup when I already have google photos, iCloud, and Flickr.

Flickr is basically the same thing but it includes an bunch of shit linking to your public flickr page. Nice thing about it is it’s unlimited full resolution photos and it’s all just automatic. I’ve tried imgur before and it’s more of a content source than just a backup which I don’t really have any interest in. Do they have an auto backup?

Lr7CN0y.jpg

Quick photo of my new purchase. Was pleased to have so many good options for cheap third party straps. I opted for the cheapest Apple Watch, as I prefer the 38mm and don't want to pay extra £60+ per year for watch cellular.

Glad you like it. I'm contemplating one heavily, may I ask your initial thoughts?

Also, another daft question. The Nike+ straps, is there a difference in the watch or is it literally just the strap different? They seem to be a little cheaper on sales in the earlier models and was curious why.

Shearie

Got my Series 3 yesterday. Coming from the original, I am very happy with how much faster it is now. I haven’t used it in sunlight yet but I hope the screen brightness doubling makes looking at it on a sunny day less of a pain.

holygeesus

Banned
Glad you like it. I'm contemplating one heavily, may I ask your initial thoughts?

Also, another daft question. The Nike+ straps, is there a difference in the watch or is it literally just the strap different? They seem to be a little cheaper on sales in the earlier models and was curious why.

My Nike + Gen2 has the nike logo printed on the back of the watch (etched?) but I think that is the only difference. I think you can put the Nike+ faces on the original model Apple Watches as a download.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Do you guys recommend a glass screen protector? I have one on my 8, but kinda hate the look of it and am curious to know if it's even worth it with Apple's special glass process.

No glass process is going to stop it falling awkwardly onto a rough surface pushing most pressure through a small area and cracking your screen

Screen protectors are a balance between joe much risk you’re willing to accept vs aesthetics. If you have AppleCare+ I might risk fully naked or you could pay the price of AppleCare into a savings account and be prepared to pay for repairs

The phone design does make it difficult to get a good protector. A fully flat SE style with no home button would be ideal

dock

Nike+ Watch 3 is the exact same hardware but apparently on the back it says Nike in small letters. Straps are exclusive tho. My gf hates their straps so I opted for the non-Nike one.

outsidah

Does it make any sense to use chrome on iOS? I just like it better I guess. It’s funny, my iPhone has pretty much all the native iOS apps removed and replaced with google and ms replacements.

It makes sense if you use Chrome on your PC to sync history, etc. That being said, I enjoy safari more on iOS than Chrome.

DonShula

I don't want to turn this into an Apple Watch thread but... where can I see the available faces? Is there one that shows total calories burned as well as pulse?

holygeesus

Banned
I don't want to turn this into an Apple Watch thread but... where can I see the available faces? Is there one that shows total calories burned as well as pulse?

Do you have an iPhone? You can see them in the Watch app.

Edit - you can of course construct your own using whichever complications you wish.

ZOONAMI

No glass process is going to stop it falling awkwardly onto a rough surface pushing most pressure through a small area and cracking your screen

Screen protectors are a balance between joe much risk you’re willing to accept vs aesthetics. If you have AppleCare+ I might risk fully naked or you could pay the price of AppleCare into a savings account and be prepared to pay for repairs

The phone design does make it difficult to get a good protector. A fully flat SE style with no home button would be ideal

I’ve had too many glass screen protectors shatter leaving the phone screen completely fine to think it’s not doing anything. Maybe just a placebo and I’m just wasting money on protectors, but with all the shattered phones I see I think there is something to it.

holygeesus

Banned
Ooh, thank you.

I've just checked - you can put calories and heart rate on the same face, but I'm not sure if it is a constant heart rate tracker or not - it seems to just show the heart icon with no numbers, so you might want to research that further.

Edit - you can have both displayed but you might be limited with the design

YAaMqkK.png

Sean

Banned
Nike+ Watch 3 is the exact same hardware but apparently on the back it says Nike in small letters. Straps are exclusive tho. My gf hates their straps so I opted for the non-Nike one.

I'm pretty sure you can buy the Nike watch bands separately. I think the only true exclusive in the Nike models are their watch faces.

robotrock

Banned
I think I’m gonna get a Sport watch after using an SS for two years. Can’t decide if the silver sport or space grey sport looks more dorky

Please help

JaseMath

What if I'm using a case? I'm specifically referencing the screen. How prone is it to scratches?

holygeesus

Banned
I assume he's thinking about a complication. I guess Apple think it's too basic and "FitBit"-esque

Ah ok. I don't know if you can even check total steps using the watch alone. Think it has to be done in the activity app on the phone.

No you can check it on the watch directly now. Cool. Can't see it as a complication though.

marrec

Banned
What if I'm using a case? I'm specifically referencing the screen. How prone is it to scratches?

I mean, I went a year without a protector on my 7 and never got a scratch. But I did have a thin clear plastic case so it never would lay on it's glass face.

I'm guessing with the improved glass on the 8 it'll be even less prone to scratches. Unless you've got a problem with chronic pocket sand I say go without. So much nicer.

Ah ok. I don't know if you can even check total steps using the watch alone. Think it has to be done in the activity app on the phone.

No you can check it on the watch directly now. Cool. Can't see it as a complication though.

Launch the activity app and scroll down, it’ll be there on the watch

holygeesus

Banned
Launch the activity app and scroll down, it’ll be there on the watch

Yeah I wasn't scrolling down far enough. There seems to be 3rd party apps that add steps as a complication. Pedometer ++ for one. I can't work out if it is counting steps from your phone or directly on the watch though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I’ve had too many glass screen protectors shatter leaving the phone screen completely fine to think it’s not doing anything. Maybe just a placebo and I’m just wasting money on protectors, but with all the shattered phones I see I think there is something to it.

It’s sacrificing itself to protect the phone. It’ll be absorbing the Kinect energy from a fall so less gets transmitted to the actual phone.

I wish phone manufacturers would do official ones - ship them with a preapplied tempered glass skin, which you can then get replaced for $25 or something in case of an incident. Or just design phones to better take protectors - the current trend of rounded edges is not good for that

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think I’m gonna get a Sport watch after using an SS for two years. Can’t decide if the silver sport or space grey sport looks more dorky

Please help

Silver definitely more dorky. I went black with black sport band which is relatively discrete as it’s all dark.

Rbk_3

I’ve had iPhones since 2010 and never use a screen protector and never had a scratch besides a few super tiny hairlines that you would only ever see in direct sunlight.

I find a slim case with a little lip to protract the screen when laying it face down is more than enough

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I’ve had iPhones since 2010 and never use a screen protector and never had a scratch besides a few super tiny hairlines that you would only ever see in direct sunlight.

I find a slim case with a little lip to protract the screen when laying it face down is more than enough

Same. Combined with a little care (phone pocket never has keys or coins etc) I’ve been fine so far

Yeah I wasn't scrolling down far enough. There seems to be 3rd party apps that add steps as a complication. Pedometer ++ for one. I can't work out if it is counting steps from your phone or directly on the watch though.

So both your watch and phone are recognized as pedometers. However, when they both count the same step, the system is good enough to only recognize it one time so it doesn’t double count anything. You can make sure your watch is always getting counting priority by going to Health-Health Data-Activity-Steps-Data Sources and Access and making sure your watch is listed above your phone under “Data Sources”. If not, you should move it up.

Pedometer++ should be counting your steps as a whole by just reading what the system puts into Health from those sources, I don’t believe it’s a step counter on its own, but I could be wrong.

Top Bottom