• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pre-order Thread - iPhone 8, 8+, Watch Series 3, AppleTV 4K

DonShula

I've just checked - you can put calories and heart rate on the same face, but I'm not sure if it is a constant heart rate tracker or not - it seems to just show the heart icon with no numbers, so you might want to research that further.

Edit - you can have both displayed but you might be limited with the design

YAaMqkK.png

Thank you... this is much more flexible than I thought it was. So many more watch faces than I expected.

Charcoal

Been toying with the 8+. It’s an iPhone.

I think this will be my last one until Apple does something exciting hardware wise again. Just going to pay it off quickly and get off the IUP.

Software is still great though and their software support is fantastic. Should last me for years.
What If I told you there's a major hardware refresh just a few weeks away

Rbk_3

Same. Combined with a little care (phone pocket never has keys or coins etc) I’ve been fine so far

I even throw my keys in with it by accident sometimes and never had an issue (never when it’s brand new though, I’m OCD for the first while)

Been toying with the 8+. It’s an iPhone.

I think this will be my last one until Apple does something exciting hardware wise again. Just going to pay it off quickly and get off the IUP.

Software is still great though and their software support is fantastic. Should last me for years.

Lol I was thinking the same thing. If you’re bored with iPhone hardware why on earth would you get an 8+ instead of an X.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
There’s not an official 4K thread so here goes a quick review.

Not an Apple TV problem, but it needs to be mentioned. Everything involving 4K and HDR is sort of a nightmare. Does your tv support it? Do your cables support it? Does your receiver support it? And by “it”, which parts?

So I tried hooking this up replacing my existing ATV4. My TV is 4K, my Denon AVR supports 4K and I have high speed cables. Get it all hooked up. Sets itself to 1080p. Hmm. So I set it to 4K60 HDR. No signal. Go through everything and finally land on 4K30 SDR. Works, but obviously I am less than thrilled..

Among everything I eventually deduce (because none of this is documented anywhere, for anything..) that my receiver despite being specced for 4K, can only handle 4K30 SDR. Fine. So I plug into my TV (which has ARC).

So now I am good. Oh damn I have HDR10!!!! Bonus!! Sort of. So apparently most content on iTunes and Netflix is Dolby. Dolby is 100% incompatible with my TV. bah. However it appears that some stuff will actually send an HDR10 signal. So Star Trek says Dolby, but sure as shit HDR on my TV. Man of Steel says Dolby and I am 99% certain it is SDR on my TV. So it seems if it says Dolby it will be hit or miss if I get HDR. Grrr. Meanwhile I don’t think anything on Netflix is HDR for me. Everything that says Dolby still looks SDR.

Now obviously the source files are not on Apple. I know from working with them before that they only have what the studios provide. Still.. if a movie supports both formats I wish they would indicate it (thus showing if a movie ONLY supports Dolby). Conversely they DO a show of a movie only supports HDR10 but that is much less useful it seems.

Anyway, overall the box is fast as shit, iTunes HDR content looks amazing, and after selling my old box for $80 I am out of pocket $100 for this. Absolutely worth it. The compatibility issues with hardware can be annoying, but for me it worked out (ARC and HDMI-CEC to the rescue). Just wish everyone would clearly say “this is HDR10, this is Dolby, and this supports both”.

jstripes

Banned

Not an Apple TV problem, but it needs to be mentioned. Everything involving 4K and HDR is sort of a nightmare. Does your tv support it? Do your cables support it? Does your receiver support it? And by “it”, which parts?

This is why Apple isn't "late to the party" with 4K. This stuff needs to be seriously sorted out, it's almost as bad as the Blu-ray/HD-DVD situation.

ZOONAMI

So I tried hooking this up replacing my existing ATV4. My TV is 4K, my Denon AVR supports 4K and I have high speed cables. Get it all hooked up. Sets itself to 1080p. Hmm. So I set it to 4K60 HDR. No signal. Go through everything and finally land on 4K30 SDR. Works, but obviously I am less than thrilled..

Among everything I eventually deduce (because none of this is documented anywhere, for anything..) that my receiver despite being specced for 4K, can only handle 4K30 SDR. Fine. So I plug into my TV (which has ARC).

So now I am good. Oh damn I have HDR10!!!! Bonus!! Sort of. So apparently most content on iTunes and Netflix is Dolby. Dolby is 100% incompatible with my TV. bah. However it appears that some stuff will actually send an HDR10 signal. So Star Trek says Dolby, but sure as shit HDR on my TV. Man of Steel says Dolby and I am 99% certain it is SDR on my TV. So it seems if it says Dolby it will be hit or miss if I get HDR. Grrr. Meanwhile I don’t think anything on Netflix is HDR for me. Everything that says Dolby still looks SDR.

Now obviously the source files are not on Apple. I know from working with them before that they only have what the studios provide. Still.. if a movie supports both formats I wish they would indicate it (thus showing if a movie ONLY supports Dolby). Conversely they DO a show of a movie only supports HDR10 but that is much less useful it seems.

Anyway, overall the box is fast as shit, iTunes HDR content looks amazing, and after selling my old box for $80 I am out of pocket $100 for this. Absolutely worth it. The compatibility issues with hardware can be annoying, but for me it worked out (ARC and HDMI-CEC to the rescue). Just wish everyone would clearly say “this is HDR10, this is Dolby, and this supports both”.

Generally if something supports Dolby vision it will also support hdr 10 as Dolby is a slightly higher spec, unless they have an official deal with Dolby to only do Dolby vision, which irrc is only Disney?

If you hit The display button on your tv remote it should tell you if hdr is happening, or my Sony x800d does. Your best bet for hdr content is still 4K Blu-ray’s imo. Every disc I have just works with hdr enabled.

j-wood

This is super interesting, because I thought Netflix was officially doing HDR10. That's what it does on the Netflix app on my TV anyways.

ZOONAMI

This is super interesting, because I thought Netflix was officially doing HDR10. That's what it does on the Netflix app on my TV anyways.

Netflix does do hdr10 so the poster is incorrect in the assessment of Netflix only using Dolby vision.

Also after some research it was vudu who originally had Dolby vision only, but no longer. As it stands anything that has Dolby vision support is generally also going to support hdr 10 (as its currently the much bigger standard).

kaskade

Glad to hear you’re liking it, so the box feels faster than the old one? I don’t think it ever felt slow necessarily but sometimes it would hang up for a bit when switching apps. I believe my TV supports HDR10 and Dolby vision so I hope I don’t have man issue. How does normal content look, the verge was saying that some stuff looked worse since the ATV tries to upconvert everything.

I actually think Verge had settings screwed up somewhere. Standard content looks great.

I would agree with that. Things are looking good on mine through DirecTV Now and non HDR content.

The HDR stuff I've watched is just too dang dark. I'm not seeing the colors pop like I expected with HDR. Could be because I have an HDR10 only set and every thing I've tried is Dolby Vision only? Idk like you said everything is so confusing and I just wish the device would tell you what exactly you're viewing content in, which is not possible in its current state since it is always in HDR mode.

Side note, do we have an OT for the ATV4K?

NYR

The fact the Apple TV doesn’t live switch from regular HDR to Dolby Vision is incredibly disappointing.

There is nothing exciting about the X to me compared to the other device makers.

Looks like a phone that would have been alright a few years ago design wise.

Compared to Samsung, LG V30, etc, the X just doesn’t do it for me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There is nothing exciting about the X to me compared to the other device makers.

There must be something about the internet and the way things get normalised so quickly - maybe I could imagine the X not being state of the art but ‘alright a few years ago’ is a bit hyperbolic, no?

ZOONAMI

It doesn't even auto-switch between SDR and HDR does it? That's pretty shocking.

If not, that’s ridiculous. Sony knows what’s up there in this regard. Just set everything to auto on the TV and you’re golden using the built in android tv, ps4 pro, Xbox one s, and Samsung Blu-ray. Auto everything and it just works.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.

1. Let's get an OT going *looks expectantly at borghe*
2. How is xcode support? Any? Some? Full?

ZOONAMI

OK, I'm going to sound like a complete moron, but I seriously can't figure out the correct way to transfer from my current Galaxy S6 to my new iPhone 8+ on T-Mobile in the US. (my excuse being that my first smart phone was on Sprint, so it didn't have a SIM card, and when I changed to T-Mobile and got my Galaxy S6, I set up my new account/transferred in store.)

So... my 8+ came in the mail yesterday, and after using the "move to iOS" app I figured there would be some sort of step to actually get my phone number/T-Mobile account transferred over to my 8+, but there wasn't. Do I need to physically remove the SIM card from my Galaxy S6 and put it into the 8+? I feel like I'm missing something incredibly obvious.

Yes put the old sim in the new phone otherwise you need to call T-Mobile if you want to use the new sim.

Just add your gmail to your accounts on the iPhone and it will pull all your contacts.

NYR

If not, that’s ridiculous. Sony knows what’s up there in this regard. Just set everything to auto on the TV and you’re golden using the built in android tv, ps4 pro, Xbox one s, and Samsung Blu-ray. Auto everything and it just works.

It doesn't even auto-switch between SDR and HDR does it? That's pretty shocking.
Nope. Always on HDR. It’s pretty bad. You basically get fake HDR always. If you set it to Dolby Vision, you then get fake Dolby Vision always.

Charcoal

This just seems like an odd mindset to have.

The S8 and V30 are both strikingly similar visually. In your original post you said you wanted something new from Apple and we're about to get it. The fact of the matter is most if not all flagships phones this year are very similar from a design standpoint. The S8 and V30 have chins and foreheads, the Essential has a nipple and the X has a notch.

borghe

No way. I’m on board with Apple. Mode changes on my TV can take up to 5-10 seconds. I’d guess MANY TVs are similar.

Apple is doing it right (dependent obviously on if you are seeing SDR correctly)

I believe if you have a Dolby set you are fine.

The issue is mostly out of Apple’s control. If a movie only has Dolby, all they can server a non-Dolby TV is SDR. What is within Apple’s control is to let customers know if a Dolby movie is Dolby + HDR10 or just Dolby. That’s mostly what I am looking for.

But yeah mode changing would drive me nuts. Maybe offer it as an option (native display) but if it were default it would have actually pissed me off.

Nope. Always on HDR. It’s pretty bad. You basically get fake HDR always. If you set it to Dolby Vision, you then get fake Dolby Vision always.
Do you have it? That’s not what I’m seeing at all. SDR content looks the same for me with the setting to HDR 4:2:2 or SDR 4:4:4. I really have no idea what Verge was going on about.

Nope. It forces SDR content to a HDR colour profile unless you manually change video settings to SDR only. Then you have to go back into settings to toggle HDR on when you want to watch HDR content and you also miss out on the screensavers looking amazing as they’re HDR.

It’s a mess and all because Apple thinks mode switching is inelegant.

dock

Apple Watch folk, please recommend some WatchOS apps!

Overcast
Amazing podcast app with really filters to improve the speed and quality of the podcast. It has a (cheap) annual subscription cost, and a good Apple Watch app.

Dark Sky
Excellent weather app.

NYR

Do you have it? That’s not what I’m seeing at all. SDR content looks the same for me with the setting to HDR 4:2:2 or SDR 4:4:4. I really have no idea what Verge was going on about.
Yep, have it. LG E6 OLED TV as well and a Denon x4300, HDR video mode will always be on, the picture is being altered, you just need to go into your TV menu to see the picture has changed.

Animator

Apple Watch folk, please recommend some WatchOS apps!

Overcast
Amazing podcast app with really filters to improve the speed and quality of the podcast. It has a (cheap) annual subscription cost, and a good Apple Watch app.

Dark Sky
Excellent weather app.

Pillow is good for sleep tracking.

I honestly don't use any apps on my apple watch other than the ones it comes with %99 of the time.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
My sister for whatever reason wants to move away from the iPhone... to a Blackberry KeyOne :-/ She went from Blackberries in HS, to an iPhone 4, to an iPhone 6S Plus. But she says she still hates a software keyboard. She's 24 years old - this blows my mind.

Apparently she went to Best Buy on her own with my mom (this blows my mind even more) and they had a BB One in the back that they pulled out and let her mess with - and she loved it. Oh man.

I mean - I do her iCloud setup, her backup, I pay for her Apple Music. I feel like a bird that must just need to set her baby birds free.

That said, we hit up the Apple Store today since it was by our lunch, and my sister wasn't impressed. "It still looks exactly the same?!" "What's better?"

But - and to show how out of touch I am even further - she adored the different portrait lighting. She ended up messing with it for a solid 10 minutes, and she kept talking about it after.

I don't know the point of my diatribe other than, I guess I was just surprised by all kinds of things.

My sister for whatever reason wants to move away from the iPhone... to a Blackberry KeyOne :-/ She went from Blackberries in HS, to an iPhone 4, to an iPhone 6S Plus. But she says she still hates a software keyboard. She's 24 years old - this blows my mind.

Apparently she went to Best Buy on her own with my mom (this blows my mind even more) and they had a BB One in the back that they pulled out and let her mess with - and she loved it. Oh man.

I mean - I do her iCloud setup, her backup, I pay for her Apple Music. I feel like a bird that must just need to set her baby birds free.

That said, we hit up the Apple Store today since it was by our lunch, and my sister wasn't impressed. "It still looks exactly the same?!" "What's better?"

But - and to show how out of touch I am even further - she adored the different portrait lighting. She ended up messing with it for a solid 10 minutes, and she kept talking about it after.

I don't know the point of my diatribe other than, I guess I was just surprised by all kinds of things.

Gotta let people make their own mistakes.

Why are you paying for her Apple Music?

Dez

No way. I’m on board with Apple. Mode changes on my TV can take up to 5-10 seconds. I’d guess MANY TVs are similar.

Apple is doing it right (dependent obviously on if you are seeing SDR correctly)

I believe if you have a Dolby set you are fine.

The issue is mostly out of Apple’s control. If a movie only has Dolby, all they can server a non-Dolby TV is SDR. What is within Apple’s control is to let customers know if a Dolby movie is Dolby + HDR10 or just Dolby. That’s mostly what I am looking for.

But yeah mode changing would drive me nuts. Maybe offer it as an option (native display) but if it were default it would have actually pissed me off.

Usually I agree with Apple but in this case they’ve screwed up - at least for OLED TVs - the mapping of SDR content to Dolby Vision results in a blinding mess. Luckily I only bought it for streaming / renting 4k HDR content. Will hope for an auto switching native mode.

My LTE Watch seems to be affected by the LTE bug, or some other issue. When leaving the house with only my Apple Watch, I have to completely shut it off and then turn it back on for cellular to work. Otherwise, I get the red X indicating no connection at the top of my screen.

I don't have any WiFi networks set up on my devices other than my own. I live downtown, however, so there are plenty of neighbors and business with open networks (none of which I've connected to before). Does the Watch automatically try to connect to these, even though I never personally have on other devices? If so, why does the reboot seem to fix the issue?

No way. I'm on board with Apple. Mode changes on my TV can take up to 5-10 seconds. I'd guess MANY TVs are similar.

I agree that Apple's doing it right, but they're doing it right with everything else upstream now having to change.

Setup was completely painless for me in comparison, but I've also learned the ins and outs of HDR and my setup the hard way the last few years. Had to manually switch to 4:2:2 chroma (the TV defaults to 4:2:0 for HDMI compatibility), but no other issue.

Watched Wonder Woman last night on my AppleTV. Thought the picture quality paled in comparison to Netflix or Blu-ray UHD. Will have to watch other UHD content through iTunes, however, before making any judgement.

borghe

Usually I agree with Apple but in this case they’ve screwed up - at least for OLED TVs - the mapping of SDR content to Dolby Vision results in a blinding mess. Luckily I only bought it for streaming / renting 4k HDR content. Will hope for an auto switching native mode.
Like I said... I don’t see native switching as the answer. For the majority of TVs this would mean 5-10 seconds of switching between modes which is pretty gross. They have an A10X in there. I’d have to believe accurate upconversion is possible and a better solution.

I got some hands on time with the 8 and 8+ last night at the Apple store and liked what I saw. I really liked how the glass back adds a bit more heft to it and it feels better in the hand. I was thinking of holding off till the X but I really liked how the gold colored phones looked. Might even end up with the regular 8 in the end. Just wish it had the camera from the 8+

marrec

Banned
After a day with the Gold 8+ I feel like it's a significant upgrade from the 7. That's probably mostly due to the fact that I went from a normal to a + but iOS 11 feels snappier and the camera is absolutely improved.

Never had a chance to upgrade to an S (switched from Android just this year) but this feels more than a marginal upgrade imo.

Like I said... I don’t see native switching as the answer. For the majority of TVs this would mean 5-10 seconds of switching between modes which is pretty gross. They have an A10X in there. I’d have to believe accurate upconversion is possible and a better solution.

Part of the problem is the inconsistency of processing and locking down of settings in HDR modes. In some ways, Apple is making the TVs do things they weren't designed to do.

borghe

Part of the problem is the inconsistency of processing and locking down of settings in HDR modes. In some ways, Apple is making the TVs do things they weren't designed to do.
Yeah I understand that. It just sucks when it’s 5-10 seconds to switch between modes and at this point you are frequently switching modes between all of the various HDR and SDR content.

tsumineko

Anyone else having this display bug with the stopwatch on their Apple Watch? I'm using a Series 3 LTE. It's showing 00 ('00inute': 00).

Qp87vny.jpg

NYR

Yeah I understand that. It just sucks when it’s 5-10 seconds to switch between modes and at this point you are frequently switching modes between all of the various HDR and SDR content.
My LG OLED takes 2 seconds to kick in HDR mode. I just timed it. I think your TV is an outlier.

j-wood

After a day with the Gold 8+ I feel like it's a significant upgrade from the 7. That's probably mostly due to the fact that I went from a normal to a + but iOS 11 feels snappier and the camera is absolutely improved.

Never had a chance to upgrade to an S (switched from Android just this year) but this feels more than a marginal upgrade imo.

I’m in the exact same boat doing the exact same thing. 7 was my first iPhone from android. Excited for the 8+ I’m getting on monday

ZOONAMI

What tv takes 5-10 seconds to switch between sdr and hdr? My Sony set does it in literally less than a second if I do it manually and if I have it set on auto I don’t even notice it doing any switching.

This is why apple should just have auto settings like literally every other 4K hdr device.

Top Bottom