• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pre-order Thread - iPhone 8, 8+, Watch Series 3, AppleTV 4K

Vuze

Speaking about cases, what are the most durable and protective ones? I'm gonna rock my 8+ naked for everyday use but wanna put it in a case for when I take it for a bike ride or on a construction site. Looks don't really matter as long as it is good for protecting the phone from drops etc.

I have a 7+. I don't want an X but I want an X. Ugh. I'm on a carrier contract until this time next year too which is annoying.

Might just wait it out for next year's model.

I went from a 6S+ to an 8+.

I bought it because I feel like the 8+ is the ultimate, perfect edition of this version of the iPhone, and the X feels like a version 1 of a new phone. And I'm not really into version 1 of anything. So I'll get an X next year probably.

The 8+ is nice. Not having a 7, I never got to experience Portrait Mode. And it's really impressive, even without changing their fake lighting effects. Just regular Portrait Mode is awesome. I take a lot of pictures so I'm into it.

But it's just an iPhone. It's fast, the speakers are much better than my 6S+. The fingerprint scanner is even faster. The glass back is much nicer for actually holding the phone.

But still, not real exciting. It's pretty telling that I got the phone on Saturday and didn't even bother opening it until Sunday.

ZOONAMI

I’m only going to wait until Christmas, any more and I’ll get an 8+ and just get an XI next fall.

My guess is they will drop the numbered naming for iPhones after 8 and X. Probably have just iPhone, iPhone plus, and maybe an iPhone pro.

The 8 and X simultaneously kind of mucks things up, and xi or 11 would be the first double digit apple products ever (outside of laptop screen sizes) just seems like too big of a number.

Red

Got to play with a black 8 plus in store yesterday. It was okay. I prefer the look and feel of my matte black 7 plus, and I’m going to miss it. My only problem with the 7 plus is the way the chassis molds around the camera bump. It feels incomplete. I prefer the chamfered border of the 6 and 8. But the actual feel in the hand and overall look of the matte black 7 plus is probably my favorite take on this general design. The gold 8 also looks very good, but doesn’t feel as nice in hand because of the break between glass and aluminum.

br3wnor

I went from a 6S+ to an 8+.

I feel like the 8+ is the ultimate, perfect edition of this version of the iPhone, and the X feels like a version 1 of a new phone. And I'm not really into version 1 of anything. So I'll get an X next year probably.

The 8+ is nice. Not having a 7, I never got to experience Portrait Mode. And it's really impressive, even without changing their fake lighting effects. Just regular Portrait Mode is awesome. I take a lot of pictures so I'm into it.

But it's just an iPhone. It's fast, the speakers are much better than my 6S+. The fingerprint scanner is even faster.

But still, not real exciting. It's pretty telling that I got the phone on Saturday and didn't even bother opening it until Sunday.

My buddy went from a 6 to the 8 and had a similar reaction. He’s really happy w/ the improved battery and general OS quickness, but nothing mind blowing since there’s no real features that pop out. Going from a 4 to a 5, a 5 to a 6 and even a 6 to a 7 I think had more oomph, going to the 8 from anything 6 and afterwards isn’t going to blow users away especially w/ no major design change (I am jealous of the glass back though in terms of how the added weight must feel in the hands). I still think they should have just done it as a 7s but maybe supply constraints w/ the X put them in this bind.

border

If I buy the iPhone X at full MSRP, does it come unlocked no matter what carrier I pick?

Will it be possible for me to order an iPhone X if I am not currently on one of the major carriers?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
50mil pre-orders? That sounds a little far fetched, eh?
Still not over the notch tbh. It just looks so wrong for fullscreen content. But I'll def need to check out the X in an Apple Store when the launch hype has deflated.

gaf is not over the notch. the rest of the world never cared.

50M is real. They almost certainly have strong indications based on how demand for 8 appeared.

I like the notch

If I buy the iPhone X at full MSRP, does it come unlocked no matter what carrier I pick?

Will it be possible for me to order an iPhone X if I am not currently on one of the major carriers?

if you buy it from Apple Store, regardless of carrier, it is unlocked. "in theory" if you order from a carrier and pay full price outright, it "should" be unlocked, but I am less confident. apple always sells SIM-free at Apple Store, but usually not at launch (like a month or so later)

Mendrox

Received an iPhone 8 in spacegrey today at work. It finally feels good in my hand again, but it still is inferior to the Samsung S8 imo. But it still is beautiful.

border

if you buy it from Apple Store, regardless of carrier, it is unlocked. "in theory" if you order from a carrier and pay full price outright, it "should" be unlocked, but I am less confident. apple always sells SIM-free at Apple Store, but usually not at launch (like a month or so later)

What if I am ordering from Apple's online store? I presume there's no chance in hell of me getting an iPhone X from a retail location.

There is no "SIM-Free" online option for iPhone X, but if you pick the "Paid in Full" option it says "Unlocked with AT&T Sim Card" or something to that extent. But can I buy that without being an AT&T customer? Oftentimes they will ask for your AT&T login/password at some point during checkout.

borghe

What if I am ordering from Apple's online store? I presume there's no chance in hell of me getting an iPhone X from a retail location.

There is no "SIM-Free" online option for iPhone X, but if you pick the "Paid in Full" option it says "Unlocked with AT&T Sim Card" or something to that extent. But can I buy that without being an AT&T customer? Oftentimes they will ask for your AT&T login/password at some point during checkout.

yeah not sure.. I think that's sort of the problem and why people get frustrated that apple doesn't offer sim-free day 1. If you're not on Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile or AT&T you're potentially locked out from buying from apple on day 1. T-Mobile might be your best bet if that's the case. They're the most likely to not care if you have service or not, but even then I'm not sure.

border

I guess I will just have to swing by an Apple Store and ask or something.

Can you pre-order at Apple brick & mortar locations, or is it just first-come, first-served on launch day?

DarkWish

I’ve been debating selling my launch day series 0 Apple Watch. It’s the 42mm Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop. I was thinking of upgrading to Series 3 for the faster processor but the two things holding me back are the cost (not sure how much money I’d get for selling my old one to upgrade) and the fact that Stainless Steel is only available with LTE which I don’t particularly need. I could wait to upgrade until Series 4 or something... but I lose more resale value then too. Hmm...

killroy87

I guess I will just have to swing by an Apple Store and ask or something.

Can you pre-order at Apple brick & mortar locations, or is it just first-come, first-served on launch day?

I thiiiiink pre-orders are just online.

In the case of the X (meaning massive supply constraints), I don't actually know how many, if any, units they'll reserve for walk-ins on launch.

borghe

I’ve been debating selling my launch day series 0 Apple Watch. It’s the 42mm Stainless Steel with Milanese Loop. I was thinking of upgrading to Series 3 for the faster processor but the two things holding me back are the cost (not sure how much money I’d get for selling my old one to upgrade) and the fact that Stainless Steel is only available with LTE which I don’t particularly need. I could wait to upgrade until Series 4 or something... but I lose more resale value then too. Hmm...

I'm finding testing the waters for this very watch are... not good. everything I love about it... and will ABSOLUTELY get a 42mm SS Series 3... people just don't care about. price price price price price price.

I think it comes down to... the market you are ultimately selling to is 100% price sensitive, above all else. I think we are literally stuck with getting less than $50 premium for stainless steel, despite the benefit being ridiculously higher than that (out of the <10 sport owners I know, 3 of them have scratches on the screen. I've literally never heard of the SS screen being scratched)

Quake1028

My guess is they will drop the numbered naming for iPhones after 8 and X. Probably have just iPhone, iPhone plus, and maybe an iPhone pro.

The 8 and X simultaneously kind of mucks things up, and xi or 11 would be the first double digit apple products ever (outside of laptop screen sizes) just seems like too big of a number.

Or just go 9, 9 Plus, 9X?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
What's the best procedure if you want to exchange a product you've received on launch, but are not happy with? In my case, I've purchased Series 3 watch, and I'm not happy that the screen on it has yellow tone, and the crown rotation and click feels mushy. I'd like to exchange it for a same new watch, but of course the wait times are now 3-4 weeks. I guess I could return this one before the two weeks pass, and then wait a week or two for a new one to come in? Or do they maybe have an exchange items ready in the store so that they handle situations like this quicker?

Also, to give some impressions on the S3 watch - the LTE, has in my experience been absolutely flawless and freaking awesome on this watch. Network access speed and responsiveness has been significantly (like 2x) faster when the watch is alone on LTE, than doing the same task when it's connected to phone's bluetooth.

ZOONAMI

Or just go 9, 9 Plus, 9X?

Yeah they could go that route as well. I think we will see the x model drop as well. Both iPhone and plus will get a bezeless design. I’m guessing the base model won’t have oled though to keep the price down.

Maybe a pro/x model but I don’t really know what that would have over the next plus model if the whole line adopts bezeless.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
it's great but damn the 8+ is just way to heavy.

I ordered an 8 in silver with 256GB. upgrading from my iPhone SE.

Yep the form-factor of the 8+ is just not what I want in a phone and am now feeling remorse for not holding onto my busted 6 for another month or two longer to get the X. The weight is bulky and my thumb is incapable of reaching across the screen to activate certain use features without the support of a second hand.

On the other hand, it is a night and day difference in performance compared to my 6(which was giving me lots of issues). The phone just screams and everything is so snappy. Definitely getting the next iteration of the X in 2018 though to replace.

Is there an active Apple Watch OT? Loving this thing after 3 days. Battery life much better than expected. Only at 47% now after about 20 hours including a GPS run with music (non-cellular).

DonShula

Is there an active Apple Watch OT? Loving this thing after 3 days. Battery life much better than expected. Only at 47% now after about 20 hours including a GPS run with music (non-cellular).

I would love one because I'm torn between Series 3, Vivoactive 3, and Ionic. All have appealing strengths that are each other's weaknesses.

Living with the apple tv 4K for the weekend, Apple needs to make a fucking TV. I am looking at which tv to upgrade to from my plain 4K screen and its a fucking mess. I echo Nilay i want an Apple TV with promotion. Manually switching refresh rates is dumb and very unapple like.

borghe

What's the best procedure if you want to exchange a product you've received on launch, but are not happy with? In my case, I've purchased Series 3 watch, and I'm not happy that the screen on it has yellow tone, and the crown rotation and click feels mushy. I'd like to exchange it for a same new watch, but of course the wait times are now 3-4 weeks. I guess I could return this one before the two weeks pass, and then wait a week or two for a new one to come in? Or do they maybe have an exchange items ready in the store so that they handle situations like this quicker?

Also, to give some impressions on the S3 watch - the LTE, has in my experience been absolutely flawless and freaking awesome on this watch. Network access speed and responsiveness has been significantly (like 2x) faster when the watch is alone on LTE, than doing the same task when it's connected to phone's bluetooth.

I believe the option here (if it's not in stock at the store) is that you can only return it, and buy it again when it's back in stock. :(

now if only they'd drop their app.
see what I did there!!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Living with the apple tv 4K for the weekend, Apple needs to make a fucking TV. I am looking at which tv to upgrade to from my plain 4K screen and its a fucking mess. I echo Nilay i want an Apple TV with promotion. Manually switching refresh rates is dumb and very unapple like.
It sounds like, to be honest, that none of the problems listed in his review would be solved by a bespoke Apple TV screen. They'd probably treat that screen just as an HDR display with an 4KAppleTV (the device) processing attached to it. You'd still have to switch the modes and refresh rates. The problem here are not the displays the 4KAppleTV is attached to, it's entirely on Apple's decision to handle things a certain way, which is to not make it switch modes automatically.

I believe the option here (if it's not in stock at the store) is that you can only return it, and buy it again when it's back in stock. :(
Yeah, I thought so. I really wish apple would allow manual color temperature tweaking on all their devices. They already have all the drivers in places that would allow this, Night Shift and TrueTone rely on this - just let me do it manually and lock it where I want it. I actually have a sideloaded app on the phone that allows me this, but I wish I could do it on the watch as well. It would stop nitpickers like me from needlessly returning their devices.

Aurongel

Adaptive refresh rates and more stringent content controls from media providers is the way forward for both consumers and Apple, them producing a screen to short circuit that seems like an illogical move. The next Apple TV will likely feature something akin to that, which will be even more valuable at the time assuming that the HDMI spec supports it and content providers enforce it.

Them making a panel isn't a necesary prerequisite for the solution to these problems.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So for the X, my best bet is to just log on at just before midnight and try to pre-order? Any tips? Like, have an Apple account ready to go and so on?

So for the X, my best bet is to just log on at just before midnight and try to pre-order? Any tips? Like, have an Apple account ready to go and so on?

Yep, make sure your Apple ID has a credit card on file and download the Apple Store app on your iPhone/iPad because a lot of times the app works better over the website for pre-ordering.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Download the apple store app. Sign in. Check your payment details and address are up to date in the app. Go to the X page in the app, choose your colour/size, then tap the heart to add to favourites

Now on preorder day you just need to go to the account page, tap your previously selected favourite, and check out

KevinG

My iPhone X procurement strategy:

Order whatever X I can get picked up in store (or at all, shipped or whatever), either color, either memory capacity.

Broaden my chances.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Download the apple store app. Sign in. Check your payment details and address are up to date in the app. Go to the X page in the app, choose your colour/size, then tap the heart to add to favourites

Now on preorder day you just need to go to the account page, tap your previously selected favourite, and check out

Thank you!!!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
So Borghe, now that you’re back. What TV it that was taking 5-10 seconds to change to HDR mode?

I’ve still never heard of such a thing.

Bilix

I should be getting my 8 tomorrow. Anyone know if it's possible to not have my old apps populate on the new phone when I restore from backup? I want to start fresh with my apps and only download a handful of them.

Red

I should be getting my 8 tomorrow. Anyone know if it's possible to not have my old apps populate on the new phone when I restore from backup? I want to start fresh with my apps and only download a handful of them.
Set up as new phone.

Top Bottom