• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pre-order Thread - iPhone 8, 8+, Watch Series 3, AppleTV 4K

Souzetsu

About how much charge is needed to wear the series 3 for sleep tracking? Charging would be easier for me in the morning than the evening.

Still hovering around buying one of these...

Actually I just tested out sleep tracking with my Watch and the AutoSleep app. I charged my Watch first before going to bed. After sleeping for about 7.5 hours, I went from 100% to 94% after waking up.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I went to a festival and brought only my series 3 watch. I used it for checking the time, siri, notifications, and emails. I also received 2 short calls, and sent messages to my friends.

I spent about 8 hours there and had 27% battery life remaining on my watch by the time I got back to my phone.

I’m pretty happy with the battery I can’t believe the verge gave it a 5/10. Sure you can’t use it to make calls all day, but you can get those few important calls and keep up to date on all messages and notifications pretty much the entire day even without the phone nearby.

Also, the series 3 is so quick and smooth. I definitely recommend picking one up even for series 2 owners.

Sounds pretty great.

kaskade

Box came for the iPhone Upgrade program today for my girlfriend’s phone. Doing it this way is so much nicer than going to the store.

LordOfChaos

That's a lotta cooling. I wonder how high A10X can clock in here. They should really aggressively pursue game developers for this!

kgF5iYWX6bVZXBCl.huge

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+TV+4K+Teardown/97511

They dropped the requirement to support the wand controller, and it's easily more powerful than the 360/PS3/Switch, it could run some decent AAAs (like Doom on Switch). Would people buy it as a console, probably not, but if you're getting a high end streamer anyways, being a nifty microconsole on the side could be a bonus.

Animator

I have been going back and forth and decided to get the 8+ instead of waiting for X. It has everything I need to upgrade which is wireless charging and LTE support on my carrier which my 7+ does not. Will grab the second gen of X later next year. I get the feeling that's what was going to happen anyway with the supply constraints.

That's a lotta cooling. I wonder how high A10X can clock in here. They should really aggressively pursue game developers for this!

kgF5iYWX6bVZXBCl.huge

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+TV+4K+Teardown/97511

They dropped the requirement to support the wand controller, and it's easily more powerful than the 360/PS3/Switch, it could run some decent AAAs (like Doom on Switch). Would people buy it as a console, probably not, but if you're getting a high end streamer anyways, being a nifty microconsole on the side could be a bonus.

I can't imagine this getting serious game support without Apple including a real controller in the box.

LordOfChaos

I can't imagine this getting serious game support without Apple including a real controller in the box.

That would be nice, but probably also drive up the cost to 200 (Nvidia dropped the game controller pack-in to match the ATVs price just recently).

Dropping the wand controller requirement at least was nice, so any steelseries or whatever controller you have for other iDevices will work on this.

Coxy100

Banned
holy crap - the apple watch is a serious upgrade from my microsoft band 2 - it's incredible.

Some questions if anyone can help...

1) Can you plug the USB charger into a USB hub fine? (as opposed to the wall plug)

2) Is it possible to see the route of the run I went on from the Activity app?

3) Is there anyway you can make the steps from your watch transfer to the fitbit app? Currently it only tracks steps from when I move with the phone

Vuze

holy crap - the apple watch is a serious upgrade from my microsoft band 2 - it's incredible.

1) Can you plug the USB charger into a USB hub fine? (as opposed to the wall plug)

3) Is there anyway you can make the steps from your watch transfer to the fitbit app? Currently it only tracks steps from when I move with the phone

1) Yep
2) Yep, provided you have GPS data from Watch or phone. It can be found at the bottom of the respective training overview
3) I don’t know how the Fitbit app works. If it syncs with Health, your steps from the watch should be there. If it doesn’t, I guess not. Also check priority order for devices in Health for step data, make sure the watch is on top.

marrec

Banned
lol. Guys, keep in mind that upclose photos distort the size ratio of the watch vs the wrist behind. They always make the wrist look smaller and the watch bigger. Batrush, when you take the photo like that, make sure to take it from as far away as possible to make it show a more natural looking ratio.

I dunno man this is my 42mm lol

And I gotta echo what y’all been saying, this battery is clearly lasting longer than my Series 1 ever did. I even went on a 1 hour run on LTE and was only able to drop it to about 45% by the end of a very long day.

Red

Apple Watch doesn’t sync with Fitbit. There are outside app solutions but I don’t know any that work reliably. I don’t think any count steps toward your competitive totals. They only pull the number as if you’ve entered it manually.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I think after a run you have to save it for it to show up in the phone later? Or at least I think you used to

I don’t have the Fitbit app but I think I can send steps to MyFitnessPal. Under sources in the health app you can turn in read or write permission for various data

Coxy100

Banned
Can anyone help with how to make the watch vibrate only (so no ringing noise) when you receive a text or phone call?

I can't figure it out in the notifications. Also the watch doesn't come 'alive' when someone rings - I have to lift my wrist to see the notification turn on?

Red

Can anyone help with how to make the watch vibrate only (so no ringing noise) when you receive a text or phone call?

I can't figure it out in the notifications. Also the watch doesn't come 'alive' when someone rings - I have to lift my wrist to see the notification turn on?

Open the watch control center and make sure the bell is crossed out.

SuperPac

Also the watch doesn't come 'alive' when someone rings - I have to lift my wrist to see the notification turn on?

That's right, it doesn't light up immediately when you get a notification - it will vibrate or make sounds first (unless you have sound muted). Then if you do the wrist-raise motion it will display to you. Not sure if it's the same for calls but I think it is. You can also tap the screen to wake it up without a wrist-raise.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I dunno man this is my 42mm lol
Still, I guarantee you, the watch would look smaller on your wrist if you take the photo from further afar. I was just saying that as a general advice for people with smaller wrists - never take photos of your watch from upclose!

Actually I just tested out sleep tracking with my Watch and the AutoSleep app. I charged my Watch first before going to bed. After sleeping for about 7.5 hours, I went from 100% to 94% after waking up.

AutoSleep doesn’t use any battery. It just reads data your watch collects regardless of the app’s existence and uses it to guess your sleeping patterns.

I really don’t get how the verge gave the series 3 cellular a 5/10. Battery life is excellent and performance is smooth I guess jumping onto all those wifi points really ruined the experience, but man the score seems so harsh for what really is a huge improvement.

They barley cover how fast the watch is in the review, and they make it seem like battery life is horrible. Really glad I didn’t listen to those bad reviews... I hope people give the series 3 a chance. It’s so good.

empyrean

Just picked up a space grey Apple Watch. Really liking it so far, not sure if it’s just the novelty or if it will prove useful long term but for now rather like it.

TwIsTeD

So whats the general feeling going from a S2 to an S3 watch - battery life and performance are both legendary and worthy of an upgrade?

A buddy of mine is about to sell me his S2 Nike 42mm Watch for $220 (barely worn) and I figured that was a good deal - I can spring the extra money for an S3 Nike if its that massive of a leap

Calion

These great S3 reviews make me want one. I was waiting to get one until the battery life is excellent and it seems like now is that time.

SuperPac

That fixed it for the texts - but it still won't work for calls :(

Do you have your iPhone set to vibrate when you get calls?

Go into the Watch app, into phone preferences. Here if you have it as "Mirror my iPhone" but vibration turned off on your phone then it won't vibrate. If it's Custom and you have Haptics turned on for alerts and ringtone then I'm not sure what the problem is.

When I went to restore from my iCloud backup, I had a screen that said the icloud backup included purchases made by other appleIDs and I needed to enter the passwords for them and then it showed me half a dozen email addresses I have never seen in my life. Anybody else get something similar.

Priz

Might get the X to replace my HTC10 as it's been having crazy issues as of late. Going to wipe/reformat soon to see if I can stop the overheating/battery draining crazy fast issue. (Was in NYC for the last week, constantly had to head back to recharge my phone each day)

Is there a way to make Google Photos the default (and auto-upload pictures as they are taken) on the current iOS? I really like how they handle some of this stuff and would love to keep using it.

Might get the X to replace my HTC10 as it's been having crazy issues as of late. Going to wipe/reformat soon to see if I can stop the overheating/battery draining crazy fast issue. (Was in NYC for the last week, constantly had to head back to recharge my phone each day)

Is there a way to make Google Photos the default (and auto-upload pictures as they are taken) on the current iOS? I really like how they handle some of this stuff and would love to keep using it.

Can't make it the default but as long as you open it every once in awhile it will back up no problem. I just have it on my home screen and use it to view photos and haven't had any issues with it backing my stuff up.

Can't make it the default but as long as you open it every once in awhile it will back up no problem. I just have it on my home screen and use it to view photos and haven't had any issues with it backing my stuff up.

Did they update Google Photos for use with the new formats iOS 11 brings?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Really appreciate all the clarifications on the battery life of the watch! Certainly didn't mean to imply anyone was lying; just wanted to make sure I was understanding use-cases, since reviews that I read were pretty sour on its stamina.

Was considering the ceramic Edition... but this pic of the Hermes got me all hot and bothered:

Animator

I am sure this is old news to any android owners but wireless charging owns. I am pleasantly surprised at how fast it charges and how amazingly convenient it is to have.

Now all I need is a apple watch lte and I am set till X2.

marrec

Banned
Really appreciate all the clarifications on the battery life of the watch! Certainly didn't mean to imply anyone was lying; just wanted to make sure I was understanding use-cases, since reviews that I read were pretty sour on its stamina.

Was considering the ceramic Edition... but this pic of the Hermes got me all hot and bothered:

Fuck man.

Shit makes my 400 dollar LTE Watch look like a fuckin' toy.

T_T

Sean

Banned
Some experiences with my Watch:

Battery life is really great. It hasn't been lower than 65% since I've gotten it. Going walking with it without my iPhone using LTE and listening to music using my AirPods for about 50 minutes dropped the battery life about 25%-30%. Honestly very happy with how long it lasts.

This has been my experience as well, I've been ending the day with around 70-75% battery life on my (non-LTE) 38mm Series 3. I honestly thought the battery percentage got stuck or something because it seemed too good to be true. I'm coming from a Series 0 which would usually end the day at like 20% or less and this is essentially the complete reverse.

I restored from my old watch so all the settings are the exact same as are my usage habits. My typical usage is 30 min workout each day, maps companion app when I'm driving (haptics and audio for each turn), probably 100+ notifications glances, and controlling music (with AirPods).

I'm very glad I updated, it's a huge leap not just in battery life but speed too.

I know this one is about the new phones but i found no better place to ask this.
Is it still worth owning an ipjone 6 in 2017/2018?
I usually keep two phones at a time and rnow i have an s7 edge and a oneplus 3. Im frankly starting to get a little bored on op3 and i found a great deal on the ip6. I'd like to sell off the former while its still worth something and id like an ios device that wouldn't destroy my next month's gaming budget, so the x and 8 are out of the equation for now.
Not investing in a flagship until i see what samsung is doing next.
I could also get the new ipad but i dont think ill ever take it out as much, itll just serve to keep my laptop turned off while i dick about around the internet.

killroy87

I know this one is about the new phones but i found no better place to ask this.
I usually keep two phones at a time and rnow i have an s7 edge and a oneplus 3. Im frankly starting to get a little bored on op3 and i found a great deal on the ip6. I'd like to sell off the former while its still worth something and id like an ios device that wouldn't destroy my next month's gaming budget, so the x and 8 are out of the equation for now.
I could also get the new ipad but i dont think ill ever take it out as much, itll just serve to keep my laptop turned off while i dick about around the internet.

I'd go with the SE or 6S at minimum at this point. 6 seems like it would be just a bit too rickety with iOS 11 (thought I haven't tried it myself to be fair).

Longevity wise I’m going to say no. The 6S / SE are where they went from 1GB ram to 2GB and the AR kit stuff requires a 6S at minimum. Even then, the HEIC image capture still requires a 7 iirc.

I wouldn’t recommend getting anything below a 6S / SE at this stage imo.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

Plenty of quality leather straps with deployant buckles out there. Sold separately usually.
I’d get one that tapers a bit if you’re going to use a deployant like that.

Christos

I initially considered upgrading from a 6S to an 7+ but now seeing how good 8+ looks and how good the camera is I’m heavily considering getting that once my contract ends.

I recently downgraded from iPhone 7 to SE (because I was changing carriers from GSM to CDMA and needed a phone to tide me over until X). I’m actually not missing much - for day to day useage like phone, texting, Facebook, it works just fine, and the apps don’t feel slow or anything, it’s still a speedy little device (it’s the same speed as the 6s). Only thing I really regret is dropping down to 16GB storage (I got an older one from Amazon for cheap, nowadays the smallest Apple sells is 32GB).

Top Bottom