• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pre-order Thread - iPhone 8, 8+, Watch Series 3, AppleTV 4K

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd go with the SE or 6S at minimum at this point. 6 seems like it would be just a bit too rickety with iOS 11 (thought I haven't tried it myself to be fair).

this - the ram is the kicker. 2GB ram is the new baseline- 6s/SE will be fine for a good few years I'd think. They'll be like the ipad mini 2, just keep chugging along.

This has been my experience as well, I've been ending the day with around 70-75% battery life on my (non-LTE) 38mm Series 3. I honestly thought the battery percentage got stuck or something because it seemed too good to be true. I'm coming from a Series 0 which would usually end the day at like 20% or less and this is essentially the complete reverse.

I restored from my old watch so all the settings are the exact same as are my usage habits. My typical usage is 30 min workout each day, maps companion app when I'm driving (haptics and audio for each turn), probably 100+ notifications glances, and controlling music (with AirPods).

I'm very glad I updated, it's a huge leap not just in battery life but speed too.

Out of curiosity I didn't charge my S3 last night. I'm currently at 27 hours off the charger (yesterday morning 6am) and I'm at 71% battery. It may be a calibration thing, but I'm going to run it down to zero, see if I can squeeze 3 days out of it.

Just having a solid 2 day battery will be great - no worries if you forget to charge overnight and at a stretch could manage a weekend away without having to pull out the charger from the night stand (pain in the ass that it uses a special charger, I have lightning cables coming out of my ears)

Vuze

Just having a solid 2 day battery will be great - no worries if you forget to charge overnight and at a stretch could manage a weekend away without having to pull out the charger from the night stand (pain in the ass that it uses a special charger, I have lightning cables coming out of my ears)
fwiw I have seen the Series 3 charging on a generic Qi pad so there's that in terms of charging

this - the ram is the kicker. 2GB ram is the new baseline- 6s/SE will be fine for a good few years I'd think. They'll be like the ipad mini 2, just keep chugging along.

Budget wise i could certainly go for the se but damn if it doesn't look ugly in comparison to 6 and onwards.
In any case, as i mentioned i already have a decent phones thats barely a year old. So i think ill just get a 9.7 ipad. Roughly similar price and much better specs. I just needed something with an ios environment.

Red

Budget wise i could certainly go for the se but damn if it doesn't look ugly in comparison to 6 and onwards.
In any case, as i mentioned i already have a decent phones thats barely a year old. So i think ill just get a 9.7 ipad. Roughly similar price and much better specs. I just needed something with an ios environment.
I still prefer the look of the 5/SE to the 6. I certainly wouldn’t call it ugly.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
So I tried on my mothers 38mm Series 1 Apple Watch. I have tiny wrist and it fits me nice especially with the small band in it. My stupid ass ordered the 42mm Series 3 thinking the bigger screen would be needed. I fucked up, its probably going to be ridiculously huge on me, and look corny as hell.

Oh well I reap what I sow, gonna have to deal with it until I upgrade to the Series 4 if that one is a big jump.

Well so my Series 3 42mm came in today and it fits me really nice, which is weird since I have small wrist and the 38mm fit me nice too. I'm glad I did go with the 42mm, it doesn't even feel much bigger than the 38mm. I'm loving this thing though. The Space Grey with the Grey Sports band looks killer, way better than the black sport band. This thing is awesome and very handy. Controlling my music while driving, getting and responding notifications at school and work, and just even simply checking time. I never pulled my phone out yesterday, even on my break at work I was just using my watch.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Was considering the ceramic Edition... but this pic of the Hermes got me all hot and bothered:
Steel does look better than ceramic (although it scratches way easier) but Hermes watch models are a highway robbery. You can just buy the steel watch model with the rubber band, and then buy Hermes bands from taobao for like 10x cheaper.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Really appreciate all the clarifications on the battery life of the watch! Certainly didn't mean to imply anyone was lying; just wanted to make sure I was understanding use-cases, since reviews that I read were pretty sour on its stamina.

Was considering the ceramic Edition... but this pic of the Hermes got me all hot and bothered:

honestly, still think non-black stainless steel looks the best. but I may be incredibly biased.

Steel does look better than ceramic (although it scratches way easier) but Hermes watch models are a highway robbery. You can just buy the steel watch model with the rubber band, and then buy Hermes bands from taobao for like 10x cheaper.

yeah, but you can polish the SS to perfection at any point. even after 2 years mine only has micro scratches that are barely visible. Well, there's one mark... but it's just that, a mark. Doesn't even catch your fingernail.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
so I got my iPhone 8. what a great upgrade from my SE.

now, slight problem. the screen has a light yellow gradient. from blueish white on the top to slightly yellow on the bottom. I already checked true tone, but it's not that. nightshift is also off.

anyone got an idea? is there still some adhesive that might have to settle down, I know it was a problem with some phones in the past?

I might call apple care tomorrow..still thinking about it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
yeah, but you can polish the SS to perfection at any point. even after 2 years mine only has micro scratches that are barely visible. Well, there's one mark... but it's just that, a mark. Doesn't even catch your fingernail.
That is true. What do you use for polishing? The CapeCod product, or something home made?

giga

so I got my iPhone 8. what a great upgrade from my SE.

now, slight problem. the screen has a light yellow gradient. from blueish white on the top to slightly yellow on the bottom. I already checked true tone, but it's not that. nightshift is also off.

anyone got an idea? is there still some adhesive that might have to settle down, I know it was a problem with some phones in the past?

I might call apple care tomorrow..still thinking about it.
Give it a week. It could be the lamination. If it’s still there make them exchange.

Just upgraded my 6s Plus to an 8 Plus. Isn't there an 8 OT?

Feels good, albeit it's obviously not a drastic update aesthetically. Will have to get used to the new home button.

Wireless charging is a godsend however. Using an Insignia fast wireless charging pad.

Cancelled the 8. Opted for the 7 instead. Looks and feels better in the hand. Just wish Apple offered black earphones

Don't they look pretty much the same except for the glass on the 8?

Oxn

Cancelled the 8. Opted for the 7 instead. Looks and feels better in the hand. Just wish Apple offered black earphones

It neither looks or feels better, but ok

Just upgraded my 6s Plus to an 8 Plus. Isn't there an 8 OT?

Feels good, albeit it's obviously not a drastic update aesthetically. Will have to get used to the new home button.

Wireless charging is a godsend however. Using an Insignia fast wireless charging pad.

Don't they look pretty much the same except for the glass on the 8?

I really like the new home button. Took a day to get use to but i love it.

komplanen

Does the Apple Watch Series 3 work on the right-hand wrist? I know it might sound like a no-brainer but who knows if the heartbeat sensor needs to work on the left wrist or something silly. I most likely can't use the sensors on my left wrist due to a skin transplant. I mean I could use it on the bottom side of my left wrist but then it's be a little odd (or is right wrist a worse case scenario if you ask stylists?).

Souzetsu

Does the Apple Watch Series 3 work on the right-hand wrist? I know it might sound like a no-brainer but who knows if the heartbeat sensor needs to work on the left wrist or something silly. I most likely can't use the sensors on my left wrist due to a skin transplant. I mean I could use it on the bottom side of my left wrist but then it's be a little odd (or is right wrist a worse case scenario if you ask stylists?).

I haven't heard of any differences between wearing it on the left or right wrist. However I remember there being issues with people wearing it over a tattoo and having problems with the heart rate detection.

Tempted to get an 8+ instead of a 8. However I'm still unsure of getting a phone that size.

I really don't like how the 4.7 size phones get the short end of the stick.

Before the keynote, I was all set on the X this year.

Bigger screen in the regular size form factor.

Now I'll probably get the 2nd or 3rd iteration of the X and just upgrade my 6 to the 8.

ASTROID2

Yes. You can even flip the watch face to have the crown on the left side instead of the right.

Animator

Tempted to get an 8+ instead of a 8. However I'm still unsure of getting a phone that size.

Now I'll probably get the 2nd or 3rd iteration of the X and just upgrade my 6 to the 8.

Can't recommend 8+ enough. Absolutely in love with mine and I am coming from a 7+ not a older model.

Oxn

Can't recommend 8+ enough. Absolutely in love with mine and I am coming from a 7+ not a older model.

Yep, during the keynote and build up, i was like aint nobody give a shit about the 8. Then i thought about it and got it, and i love mine soooo much.

marrec

Banned
Everything I've read says the 8 feels better in the hand than the 7...

I mean, personal preference and all... but the 8 is so much better looking and feeling than the 7.

Agreeee

Came from the 7 to the 8+ and it is such a big difference. The camera feels like a generational leap, the iOS 11 is noticeably smoother and more stable. Wireless charging is great... I'm glad I upgraded.

komplanen

I haven't heard of any differences between wearing it on the left or right wrist. However I remember there being issues with people wearing it over a tattoo and having problems with the heart rate detection.

Yes. You can even flip the watch face to have the crown on the left side instead of the right.

Thanks. I read about it online a bit too and it seems to work on the right wrist so I'll go with that. There's also a .01% chance the heart beat sensor works on my Frankenstein's Monster skin graft but I doubt it.

EDIT: Also for some exercises I can use a BlueTooth enabled heart rate chest band, it seems.

Vuze

Same.

Give the Plus a chance, I upgraded from a 5s and got used to the new size within a day and wouldn’t want it any other way. In the end it depends on your hand size but you won’t know until you try.

Once you go iPhone Plus, you never go back. I was always in the Plus looks too big camp until the iPhone 6, then I saw the light. Now I can never go back to a smaller phone.

Once you go iPhone Plus, you never go back. I was always in the Plus looks too big camp until the iPhone 6, then I saw the light. Now I can never go back to a smaller phone.

That’s why I’m so excited for the X. I know it’s not actually a Plus screen in a smaller body, but I don’t want to give up the dual cameras, and I want to use my phones without a case but the Plus body sizes are too unwieldy for that. Smaller body made of glass is perfect for what I want, without sacrificing features

Quick

Banned
Got my iPhone 8 Plus today, and the larger size is a huge difference to me compared to my 6. I've compared my iPhone 6 to Plus phones in the past, but it feels bigger now that I own one than just putting it side by side to a demo model at the Apple Store.

Space Grey (might as well call it black) looks sleek as fuck.

Rbk_3

Noticing my 8 Plus has a redish tint along the left and right sides and more yellow in the middle. Not crazy but noticeable.

killroy87

So I got this wireless charger for my iPhone 8, and the signal doesn't pass through my phone case (which boggles my mind, it's a $10 plastic case with a paper picture on the back). Without the case, it works fine.

Are all wireless chargers created equal, or is there like a more powerful one I can get that might not have this problem with? I actually quite like my case, and don't want to change it haha.

marrec

Banned
So I got this wireless charger for my iPhone 8, and the signal doesn't pass through my phone case (which boggles my mind, it's a $10 plastic case with a paper picture on the back). Without the case, it works fine.

Are all wireless chargers created equal, or is there like a more powerful one I can get that might not have this problem with? I actually quite like my case, and don't want to change it haha.

They certainly aren't all created equal... tho my cheapo 10 dollar charger goes through my Sprigen case while my 50 dollar Samsung charger doesn't.

What a world.

My 8 plus earpiece crackles during phone calls. That’s no good.

Apple says a fix is coming, it’s a software thing.

Some people have had success by going into speaker then back during the call, others have turned of noise cancellation in accessibility settings. Others are just waiting.

Animator

I picked this one up and works great: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HL812ZM/A/mophie-wireless-charging-base?fnode=85

I love wireless charging so much. My phone constantly has %100 battery the whole day. I just drop it on the pad while doing stuff. Always hated being tethered to a lightning cable half the day.

Pepiope

Apple says a fix is coming, it’s a software thing.

Some people have had success by going into speaker then back during the call, others have turned of noise cancellation in accessibility settings. Others are just waiting.
Oh good it's not hardware? I was going to return it this weekend if it kept having the same issue.

jimmypython

Got my 8plus yesterday.

Coming from 6S, the lack of headphone jack is an issue since my car doesn't have bluetooth, so that I can't use car sound for GPS where it needs to be plugged in for long distance trip :(

Overall, I'm really happy with it - I will never buy an Apple first gen product, so no iPhone X this time.

My 8 plus earpiece crackles during phone calls. That's no good.

Mine has the same problem.

Glad a fix is coming...

Apple really dropped the ball on iOS11 - so many bugs and unstable.

ZOONAMI

I have noticed the 8+ wireless charging is leagues easier to place on the pad and just work. My Samsung s7 and note 7 and G6 were a pita to place properly on my bamboo qi pad, and then most of the time overnight they would stop charging for some reason. 8+ I just drop it on there and it’s been 100% every morning. I legitimately haven’t even used the wall charger either because the battery life is so good.

Jimrpg

I know this one is about the new phones but i found no better place to ask this.
Is it still worth owning an ipjone 6 in 2017/2018?
I usually keep two phones at a time and rnow i have an s7 edge and a oneplus 3. Im frankly starting to get a little bored on op3 and i found a great deal on the ip6. I'd like to sell off the former while its still worth something and id like an ios device that wouldn't destroy my next month's gaming budget, so the x and 8 are out of the equation for now.
Not investing in a flagship until i see what samsung is doing next.
I could also get the new ipad but i dont think ill ever take it out as much, itll just serve to keep my laptop turned off while i dick about around the internet.

My 6 stutters after the iOS 11 update and I wouldn't recommend buying one now. I guess I'll put up with it for a while. I've already spent my budget on gaming this year.

Wait and see what happens after the X comes out, maybe the 8 will be a decent buy. There's a few online retailers in Australia already giving 20% off for iPhone 8. If you're not fussed about the camera, the A11 chip in the 8 will last for a few good years.

But the 8 could also go the way of the iPhone 5c, so its hard to fully recommend right now.

Vuze

Yup, also happens for CallKit calls for me. It’s pretty bad; I wonder how this passed QA. Overall I’ve already reported four more and less serious glitches on iOS 11 since I got the phone... sometimes it seems like the refresh rate is stuck at like 25hz, everything stutters and is slow as shit for a good few seconds and then goes back up to 60. Then there are a bunch of reproducible visual glitches that shouldn’t have passed either. iOS 11 really feels rushed.

Can save about £200+ if you do it that way but I guess you don't get the Hermes box, watch faces and it won't say Hermes on the back.

Not that I think they are worth £200+ more.

holygeesus

Banned
Thanks. I read about it online a bit too and it seems to work on the right wrist so I'll go with that. There's also a .01% chance the heart beat sensor works on my Frankenstein's Monster skin graft but I doubt it.

EDIT: Also for some exercises I can use a BlueTooth enabled heart rate chest band, it seems.

I’m a righty too and the only issue I have is I can’t text using the watch as I text using my right hand as well. Your mileage may vary though.

Bilix

Sigh. Already have a screen crack on the 8. Set it down on the table with a podcast playing, and the vibration from the speakers caused it to inch off the table. Wasn’t even that high up either.

Vuze

Sigh. Already have a screen crack on the 8. Set it down on the table with a podcast playing, and the vibration from the speakers caused it to inch off the table. Wasn’t even that high up either.
Damn, sorry to hear... but I also noticed the speaker makes my 8+ move on its own even when it's not turned halfway up. Need to put up some safeguards so it doesn't sneak off my nightstand from the alarm lol. But I think that doesn't use stereo... will need to look into that.

In other news, my ATV 4K showed up. Can't wait to set it up tonight.

Oxn

So whats your plan going forward?

kaskade

That’s why I’m so excited for the X. I know it’s not actually a Plus screen in a smaller body, but I don’t want to give up the dual cameras, and I want to use my phones without a case but the Plus body sizes are too unwieldy for that. Smaller body made of glass is perfect for what I want, without sacrificing features

Same here, I love the feeling of the regular 8 with that glass back. I don't know if I would be able to give up the dual cameras though so the X is going to be a beautiful hybrid.

Bilix

So whats your plan going forward?

I don’t know. I guess get a case so the crack doesn’t expand in case of another drop. This is the first glass phone I’ve owned, so I guess I need to me more careful because of the weight.

Top Bottom