• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple September Event 2016 |OT| Apple invents wireless audio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oof. I still don't know what to do re: a MacBook Pro. I really don't know how I feel about the rumored keyboard changes and the ditching of all USB slots except USB-C. I wish they would just talk about the new ones tomorrow so that I could decide what to do haha.

I don't think they are getting rid if all the USB slots, i thinking they are gonna add USB-C and maybe they will gradually phase out the other slots over time.

dvolovets

I don't think they are getting rid if all the USB slots, i thinking they are gonna add USB-C and maybe they will gradually phase out the other slots over time.

Not according to a recent manufacturer leak (assuming it is legitimate). It seemed to indicate that there would be 4 USB-C slots and a headphone jack...

kaskade

I checked my eligibility and I'm ready for an upgrade though the iPhone Upgrade Program. Hopefully it goes smoothly. I'm guessing we can just reserve one in store then do the upgrade? Seems like we are getting a pretty solid upgrade here. Can't wait to see what that dual camera can really do.

icespide

Banned
I checked my eligibility and I'm ready for an upgrade though the iPhone Upgrade Program. Hopefully it goes smoothly. I'm guessing we can just reserve one in store then do the upgrade? Seems like we are getting a pretty solid upgrade here. Can't wait to see what that dual camera can really do.
how do you check that?

DOWN

Banned
Anyone have experience going from AT&T Next (or equivalent non-AT&T phone financing plan) to Apple'S own IPhone Upgrade Program? Any weird or bad changes happen to your carrier plan if you went to Apple's financing?

I kind of want to just jump on Apple's plan and feel safe having Apple Care+ and an upgrade every year

fleck0

The Battery on my 5s is getting pretty bad, I hope they have some surprises, currently I kinda just want another 5s or maybe a 6.

Anyone have experience going from AT&T Next (or equivalent on-AT&T phone financing plan) to Apple'S own IPhone Upgrade Program? Any weird or bad changes happen to your carrier plan if you went to Apple's financing?

I kind of want to just jump on Apple's plan and feel safe having Apple Care+ and an upgrade every year
Curious as well, and how the pricing shakes out.

Future

What? I use wireless almost daily at work and I have none of that issue. Literally the same wired as wireless.

Wireless speakers have noticeable lag IMO when watching video. Never tried with my headphones since I only use them for running

DOWN

Banned
how do you check that?
Or Just go in the Apple Store app and attempt to buy a 6S model equivalent to whatever tier and size of 7 model you want (a 64GB 6S Plus is presumably equivalent in pricing to tomorrow's 128GB 7 Plus). Say you want to replace the iPhone you are currently viewing the app on and it will say if you're eligible.

kaskade

Or Just go in the Apple Store app and attempt to buy a 6S model equivalent to whatever tier and size of 7 model you want (a 64GB 6S Plus is presumably equivalent in pricing to tomorrow's 128GB 7 Plus). Say you want to replace the iPhone you are currently viewing the app on and it will say if you're eligible.

Didn't realize you could do it from there too. That's nice so you don't have to go through the hassle of typing all the info in.

I'm hoping we can just reserve the phones like last time. It was actually a fairly nice and easy process. Plus it takes away the stress of making sure there's one in store and having to rush there.

icespide

Banned
thank you!

I'm eligible! I knew I would be but it feels nice to see

mrkgoo

Has iOS 10 gone GM? so we expect it tomorrow (and watchOS 3.0)? Or will they announce that it will get released like next week or something?

What about Sierra?

I've been on the grandfathered unlimited ATT plan for the past few years but I want to change when my contract is over on the 12th. Not a fan of paying $100 a month for one line and I'm willing to cut back on my data usage.

Any recommendations for a carrier?

Meicyn

Gold Member
In for an Apple Watch 2. Been waiting patiently for the first gen product to pass. I'm really itching for a MacBook Pro but I expect it to not make an appearance. I never bought my MacBook Air with the intent to do music production or video editing but here I am, and its limitations are showing.

Anyone have experience going from AT&T Next (or equivalent non-AT&T phone financing plan) to Apple'S own IPhone Upgrade Program? Any weird or bad changes happen to your carrier plan if you went to Apple's financing?

That's a great question. It seems to be less money in total than JUMP and I'd rather have Apple Care over any other insurance service.

Kthulhu

probably not but its 4x the storage for ~$100 more isn't that a good deal?

this is why they do it

By phone standards yes.

The entire smartphone industry really fucks everyone over on storage. The price per gigabyte on smartphones is a lot higher compared to USB drives, SD cards, and internal HDDs and SSDs.

I really just hope that they're aware that this is going to piss people off and that they have a really good solution that lets them do their new nonsense and doesn't hinder people that much. Something more than "we're including an adapter that will only really last for a few months like the rest of our pack in accessories, that's if you don't lose it in the first week,
(you will)
and we're also introducing new wireless headphones that you can purchase for the low cost of a couple hundred dollars! Aren't we the best?"

Alright peeps, here's the iPhone Upgrade Program in a nutshell and an easy way to compare pricing:

It's the retail cost of the phone + AppleCare divided by 24 months. That's your monthly payment to Apple. Your plan is not affected at all but it HAS to be activated on one of the big four carriers. MVNOs need not apply

So for example an iPhone 6s Plus 64GB is $849 retail + $129 AppleCare = $978 divide by 24 months is $40.75 a month.

AT&T Next Every Year does the same thing, but AppleCare is not included. So $849 divided by 24 is $35.38 per month

I think T-Mobile JOD is an 18-month contract if I'm not mistaken? But there's a purchase price even at the end of that so it's hard to calculate the price per month

I don't know Verizon's or Sprint's yearly upgrade plans. Assume they're similar

Kthulhu

I really just hope that they're aware that this is going to piss people off and that they have a really good solution that lets them do their new nonsense and doesn't hinder people that much. Something more than "we're including an adapter that will only really last for a few months like the rest of our pack in accessories, that's if you don't lose it in the first week,
(you will)
and we're also introducing new wireless headphones that you can purchase for the low cost of a couple hundred dollars! Aren't we the best?"

I await the Internet's reaction with great anticipation. If Apple doesn't enable NFC for fast Bluetooth pairing I'm going to slam my head against my desk. Don't push wireless and then continue to lock off a method that makes it more convenient.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I await the Internet's reaction with great anticipation. If Apple doesn't enable NFC for fast Bluetooth pairing I'm going to slam my head against my desk. Don't push wireless and then continue to lock off a method that makes it more convenient.
They will use the charging case / lightning to pair. Like the pencil.

Kthulhu

They will use the charging case / lightning to pair. Like the pencil.

That would be stupid as hell. It would make 3rd party headphones tedious to pair, and the lightning connector for pairing has already been destroyed by critics.

Plus NFC is super cheap, as opposed to using a proprietary method.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
That would be stupid as hell. It would make 3rd party headphones tedious to pair, and the lightning connector for pairing has already been destroyed by critics.
It may very well be a stupid move, but I think the pencil is where we should look for cues about how these will be designed, not what other Bluetooth headphone manufacturers.

Well know in 12-13 hours.

My personal bet on air pods:
They will be two earpieces tethered with a cable. At the inline remote, the cable will split revealing a lightning cable. This will be used for pairing and quick charge from your phone (30seconds-1 minute = 30 minutes listening).

The charging case will wirelessly charge the airpods for up to two battery cycles, it will have a female lightning port to charge the case.

v1lla21

Fuck, so slim chance of a new macbook? I need a new laptop and I want to get a mac but I'm waiting on the new models.

Armadilo

Banned
what happened if Apple actually tricked everybody and the leaked 2017 iPhone is actually going to be this years version

subrock

Not grabbing an iPhone unless there is some sort of holy shit moment. Almost definitely grabbing a watch unless the upgrades are meh or it looks identical.

Not grabbing an iPhone unless there is some sort of holy shit moment. Almost definitely grabbing a watch unless the upgrades are meh or it looks identical.

Watch will likely look identical and use the same bands

Actually the bands might get an upgrade since all the nice ones are sold out at the Apple Store right now. I wish they would keep the same styles though, I love the Milanese loop and the leather loop, I just never got around to buying them

I'll probably jump on the Apple Watch.

I have a lot of Amazon GC credit, so hopefully it's up for sale not too long after the general release date.

Wooooo

Can't wait for the 6S+ price drop

zOfXd1G.jpg

Tc91

I think it's going to look identical and there's nothing leaked to say otherwise iirc.

Alchemy

The only thing that would get me really excited is stylus support for the 5.5 inch phone because I want to use an active digitizer on fucking everything. Not happening though :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom